Nintendo Download: 21st March 2013 (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Luigi goes on a spooky quest, Pokémon go exploring, Zen Pinball and more

It's Thursday, and time for your Nintendo Download update, North America. This week we have an oft-demanded Wii U download that finally makes it across the Atlantic, two major retail offerings, a couple of discounts and some extra download goodies. Check out all of the details below.

Wii U Download

Zen Pinball 2 (Zen Studios, Free) — After a wait of a little under two months, this pinball title flips its way to North America. It incorporates a free download/trial table structure, so you only buy the content that you want in fixed packs at $10, or individual tables at $3 each. It's visually appealing, smooth and fun pinball action, though actually buying the tables is clunky and, potentially, frustrating. That doesn't mean it's not worth the inconvenience, as our Zen Pinball 2 review explains.

3DS Downloads

Lola's Math Train (BeiZ, $3.99) — While an edutainment game featuring a happy panda may not inspire hope of a high quality download, looks can be deceiving. We gave a glowing review of Lola's Alphabet Train on DSiWare, so we'll see whether the move to 3DS keeps the standards of this particular education high. Even if it is possibly the least fun subject ever — sorry to any mathematics fans out there.

3DS eShop Discounts

Mutant Mudds (Renegade Kid, $5.99 until 28th March / was $8.99) — The latest of the weekly 3DS eShop download discounts is Renegade Kid's "12-bit" action platformer, which features plenty of levels and gorgeous pixels. We were big fans in our Mutant Mudds review, and you now have a week to pick it up for a little less.

Pokédex 3D Pro (Nintendo, $9.99 from 22nd March / was $14.99) — This expanded and improved version of the eShop launches' free app gets a 33% discount for a "limited time", in an effort to coax those on the fence to take the plunge. A useful and stylish tool for 'mon fans, which earned a decent recommendation in our Pokédex 3D Pro review.

3DS Retail Downloads

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Nintendo, $39.99) — Luigi's long awaited solo return after his GameCube debut arrives on 24th March, available for download and in stores. Promising a spooky change of pace from his backup role in various adventures, the green-one takes centre stage and truly kicks off the "Year of Luigi". Our review will be with you today, so you'll see what we think shortly.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (Nintendo, $39.99) — Also available from 24th March, this Pokémon spin-off series makes its debut on 3DS, giving fans an alternative from catching 'em all or flat out brawling. We'll bring you a review to see if we think it's worth exploring.

50 Classic Games 3D (Maximum Family Games, $19.99) — This title has been in stores since April last year and rather belatedly arrives on the eShop. It promises 50 enjoyable diversions ranging from cards, to board games, chess and more.

3DS Retail DLC

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (free until 30th April, $2 after):

Enter Poké Forest! - Download and purchase cool new Mystery Dungeons for Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity when the game releases on March 24! The new Poké Forest dungeon will be available as a free download from within the game until April 30. Starting May 1, it will be available for $2.00.

Wii Virtual Console

Art of Fighting 3: The Path of the Warrior — It's Neo-Geo, it's 2D fighting. Yeah, we know, there are a lot of these, but that's not really a bad thing for those that didn't have a Neo-Geo unit back in the day. Of the various fighting series this one didn't quite live up to others with its first two entries; we'll let you know whether the third time is a charm in our upcoming review.

Some decent variety on offer this week, covering every platform but DSi. So, how will you be spending your funds? Let us know in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (272 votes)

Zen Pinball 2 DLC (Wii U eShop)

25%

Lola's Math Train (3DS eShop)

Mutant Mudds (3DS eShop discount)

Pokédex 3D Pro (3DS eShop discount)

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS retail download)

23%

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (3DS retail download)

50 Classic Games 3D (3DS retail download)

Art of Fighting 3: The Path of the Warrior (Wii Virtual Console)

Just free DLC for me

Nothing for me this week

23%

Please login to vote in this poll.

BenAV

BenAV said:

So America's finally getting Zen Pinball 2.
Aw, that was like the only thing we had that they didn't yet, while we're still waiting on a ton of things. :P

evildevil97

evildevil97 said:

Not downloading, but I'll be picking up the physical version of Luigi's Mansion next week.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

Lame week for me, guess I will get a game from the last few weeks since I plan on getting dark moon in physical form.

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

Zen Pinball 2 with a few tables, Gates to Infinity with the DLC, Dark Moon... this is a great week!

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

i plan on downloading mystery dungeon onto my 3DS but first i have to buy a retail copy of it for my son. otherwise he will just keep playing my 3DS. I'm also getting the Pokedex Pro 3D since it's on sale....other than that nothing else for me. already have my copy of dark moon preordered so i'm not downloading that, plus I know I will be sharing it with my son.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon FTW! This game looks so fun and creative, and finally makes Luigi the star character for the first time since Luigi's Mansion in 2001! Plus I can play multiplayer with all my friends... it'll be so much fun!

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Aaaauugh, I just downloaded Pokédex Pro the day before yesterday! fumes

Well, I MIGHT get mystery dungeon... but most likely I'm going to have to wait a while 'til I feel like spending $35.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

@Five-seveN Come to Boston and get into PAX East... Nintendo will be selling Dark Moon on Saturday! Crisis solved.

A big-time week. Hey you Zen Pinballers, what's your favorite two tables? I'm not much of a Marvel guy but am interested in original pins, preferably not on the 3DS collection already.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

Just free DLC for me because I'm buying both Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity at retail next week, I'll just save my money for Legend of the River King next week.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

Art of Fighting 3!! Whoo! That's a classic!

I swear SNK is just teasing us until they release Garou.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@Thomas Do you think we could get an option on the survey for "multiple downloads"? Some people might get a mix of stuff especially with free DLC on the list.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I can't afford Zen Pinball 2 this week (thanks to BioShock Infinite), but I got Punch-Out yesterday. With that being said, there's a severe drought of demos on the Wii U eShop.

ReindeerDasher

ReindeerDasher said:

I'll be getting LMDM Day 1, but getting a physical copy.

Why don't you post what FEA DLC we get anymore, is it just Nintendo failing to notify anyone of what they're making available?

DonnaxNL

DonnaxNL said:

The Europe 18+ content restriction is over (in the Netherlands at least). See the News-section.

rjejr

rjejr said:

So nobody else thinks it's weird Nintendo is releasing both Luigi and Pokemon on the same day? Meanwhile the Wii U gets ...

SDDMN

SDDMN said:

The only game this week I'd be interested in downloading is Luigi's Mansion DM, and I'm getting the physical copy of it at GameStop.

So, nothing for me this week.

daggdroppen

daggdroppen said:

i didnt like zen pinball at all.. i still prefer pinball dreams or mario pinball advanced =)

ohhaime

ohhaime said:

Oh boy it's Thursday! Time to find out what we can download Tuesday -_-''' Seriously, I think it's time Nintendo just switch to regular Tuesday updates.

Also I finally can't stop myself from buying Mudds !

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

I'll get ZP2 and GOTY 2013 (PMD). I'll DL LM at a later date.

And I certainly hope NL doesn't make the same dumb mistake other reviewers did with the older PMDs (One reviewer gave the red and blue PMD a bad score because they claimed there were NO attacks in the game... Meaning they didn't open the menu.)

Fingeldor

Fingeldor said:

Got Luigi's Mansion on pre-order. Picking it up Sunday. Weee!! Been a busy week for gaming between Monster Hunter Wii U and now Luigi's Mansion. Also, since I am doing the download promotion thru Nintendo, I get a free Mario Land 3D. Too many games to play and not enough time. LOVING Monster Hunter so far...

bofis

bofis said:

What about Punch-Out for WiiU VC for 30 Cents, that's what I'm picking up!

LordGeovanni

LordGeovanni said:

Umm... Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is only $34.99, not $39.99...

Still unsure if I want either of the retails on the 24th though...

MisterRJ45

MisterRJ45 said:

Man If I didn't already spend my money on the Xbox 360 pinball tables I would totally jump on Zen Pinball 2. I highly recommend them. It and Pinball Arcade are the best digital representations of pinball out there. ALMOST as good as the real thing, and in some ways, better.

I'm interested in Mutant Mudds discount. Might have to pick that up.

idork99

idork99 said:

Other than LMDM at midnight via the eShop, slim pickins this week as nothing else interest me. And good thing too as there are games that need to be played in my backlog.

@bezerker99 Exactly!

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

I'm seriously excited for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, obviously. I hope you all enjoy my latest inventions! :P

NiBar

NiBar said:

Luigi's Mansion download for me. Tired of putting cartridges in and out of my 3ds...and trying to find them:)

Jaco

Jaco said:

Not downloading anything but punch out when I get home. But ill be picking up luigi's mansion this sunday , already pre ordered it and I can't wait!

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

money comes in on my birthday, the 26th proving that the planets do sometimes align.

money goes out on my birthday, the 26th, as i get LM: DM and Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk! can't wait!

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

FINALLY FREAKIN ZEN PINBALL 2!!!!!!!!!
calms down

I'm getting Luigi's Mansion 2 and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, too.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Hmmm... Well, I might be able to muster up some cash for Luigi and Zen, but I already got tons to play. Is Pokedex 3D Pro going to be updated when X & Y come out? I'll get that if it wll.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

I was going to download Pokémon Mystery Dungeon at a later date (too many games to play atm) but that free dungeon is pushing my impulse button. Lucky we have a month for the bonus.

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Mutant Mudds should be a no brainer, however all the other games on sale really took up a lot of space on my SD card though I am upgrading my 3DS to PikaXL haha but I'll just wait for the HD version to come out on Wii U. I might check out Zen Pinball as its free, didn't really like the way it was structured on Xbox, hope we get at least 3 free tables this time.

PONGbyATARI

PONGbyATARI said:

@zenverak
I grew up playing pinball and Zen comes the closest to dropping a quarter. They have done an amazing job recreating the real pinball table experience. And from what I have read the Wiiu version plays and looks great. I have checked the eShop and it wasn't available before this post.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

FYI BarbieBobomb @ Zenstudios says they don't know when the e-shop will be updated.

MetalMario

MetalMario said:

I'm saving my funds for HarmoKnight next week, but if I get Gates to Infinity before the 30th of April I'll get that DLC.

DreamDrop

DreamDrop said:

I'm surprised as to why Nintendo don't offer demos for their big releases like Mario and now Luigi...ah well, gotta wait for retail release..

PopeReal

PopeReal said:

downloading now, lets do this! my NNID is Baby_Sickle if anyone wants to send me a friend request :)

Brandonerd1991

Brandonerd1991 said:

I'm downloading Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity on the 24th! It looks like a lot of fun, considering I've been playing the Demo Version for some time! It's challenging, yet it's endless fun!

Nintenzo

Nintenzo said:

Hm, I wonder if 50 Classic Games can be as good as Clubhouse Games (Or 42 All-Time Classics in Europe)?

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

The 3D Pokédex was too expensive for my tastes at the regular price, and it's still higher than it should be, but I'll grab it at this price.

Everly

Everly said:

I think Zen really missed a great opportunity. There was very little for the Wii U for months and delaying the release of ZP2 until 2 days after Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate will really impact what could have been. Back in January I had over $20 ready to go for Zen tables, now I'm content to wait for them to go on sale as I will be hunting monsters for the next several months.

WildMan

WildMan said:

I wish I could pick both Zen Pinball and Luigi's Mansion in the poll, as I'll be getting both..

JoeysGirl

JoeysGirl said:

50 Classic Games isn't all that great. I got the physical copy last year. It has a lot of the same games as the DS version, and a lot of very repetitive games (such as a zillion ways to put together the same picture over and over). It doesn't offer trophies, or any game play awards, it has no score charts, or anything. Totally bare bones stuff. The only thing I play it for is Yahtzee and Farkle. But they are extremely basic too.

ReshiramZekrom

ReshiramZekrom said:

In the eShop, Pokédex 3D Pro is still $14.99. Unless I read the article wrong (and it's supposed to stay that price for a few days), why?

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

50 Classic Games 3D is in the eShop for $4.99, seems like a decent price for it. :)

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Love Lola's Math Train! :D There seem's to be alot more content in it. :)

Can't wait for Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon - 3DS another download for me lol. :)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

RR529

RR529 said:

I thought we were getting Legend of the River King this week...

Oh well, nothing for me this week.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

Getting Art of Fighting 3 when i get the chance, never played the AoF games, but the graphics look great(I've already seen plenty of videos of it on YouTube).

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Finally! I've been waiting for a discount on the Pokedex Pro. I wonder if even $10 is still too much for this, but I guess I'll find out after I download it tomorrow...

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Downloaded Need for Speed a few days ago, picked up Lego City after work tonight, and downloaded 2 of the table sets with Zen Pinball when I got home (you're right, there has to be an easier way to go about buying tables, what a pain in the butt). Looks like the next edition of What Games Are You Playing This Weekend? will feature an all Wii U lineup since launch week in my house.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

I'm tempted to download Dark Moon just to have it immediately, but this is one game I'll definitely want a physical copy. So, Sunday will be a mini road trip movie starring yours truly.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I am far too busy with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate to download any new games this week. (Sorry to my favorite green mustached hero!) In due time I'll be having a blast in Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon like many people will at launch.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

They pretend like Zen Pinball is a free game with the option of buying DLC, but it's really just a demo without a play limit. I mean come on, you couldn't give me a single table to actually have without having a time limit?

iphys

iphys said:

@Pixel-Perfect Make sure you download the trial table, which has all the data. When you buy a table, the download is just a small file that unlocks the trial table.

@DerpSandwich A lot of people would take a single free table and be content to never buy anything. As it is, you can buy just one single table for $3, and you're getting a high-quality table that you can play for hundreds of hours, which is a real steal. I don't know, maybe they should have called it the Zen Pinball Engine or included 1 table and charged $3, so people wouldn't have unrealistic expectations of free pinball.

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

@ThomasBW84

It may not be mentioned in the Press Release nor visibly announced on eShop, but MH3U tools were released a couple hours ago on both 3DS and WiiU eShops! :)