Capcom Releases Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies on iOS, at a Lower Price

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

OBJECTION!

3DS download gamers have seen a few high-profile titles make the transition to smart device platforms — iOS and Android — over the years, an example being Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy. That release from Square Enix actually turned out to be fairly pricey for those wanting every bit of content on a smart device, making those with the 3DS retail version perhaps feel a little better. We doubt that'll be the case with Capcom's recent iOS release of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies, however.

Available now in Japan and coming soon to the West, those that opt for the smart device version of Capcom's title will get a better deal than 3DS gamers. The eShop version, when not on discount, is £19.99 / €24.99 / $29.99, while in Japan it's a retail title that launched with a recommended price of 5,990 Yen (a little under $60). The deal on the iOS version, which includes upgraded HD visuals, is certainly preferable — the initial download and 1st chapter are free, while episodes 2-5 can either be bought for 600 Yen each (roughly $5.89) or in a pack with all four episodes for 2000 Yen (a little under $20). Completing all extra DLC adds 1000 Yen, which drags it to parity with the DLC-free version in the US, though is still cheaper under current conversion rates than in Europe and the UK.

There's perhaps an air of inevitability to this, and the Ace Attorney series has had previous entries on iOS before now. 3DS owners perhaps benefit from paying a premium to get first access, though the price differentiation in Japan — particularly — won't do the Nintendo portable's version any favours.

In any case, OBJECTION!

[via capcom-unity.com, capcom.co.jp, destructoid.com]

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Seriously Capcom? Couldn't you at least discount the 3DS entry first?

MAB

MAB said:

And so it begins... Pokemon, coming soon to your Smartphones ;)

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Android please :) I don't mind kind of game coming out on mobile... as long as it's MY mobile.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Is there a retail version in North America yet? No? Don't care then.

HK-47

HK-47 said:

To be fair, it's the sort of game that would actually work well on a phone/tablet. But yeah, still sucks that 3DS users have to pay more.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I'm happy to pay more for 3d and buttons. Not upset at all and it came out almost a year ago so no surprise here really.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Funny how games automatically achieve a lower price tag once they are released on smart devices.
If you think about it, it tells tales about how much worth these games are actually these days.
According to that, we can kinda conclude: The reguar 40.70€ price tags are "just because"

Zemus-DJ

Zemus-DJ said:

Has smart phone, doesn't game on it, that's what my 3DS is for, sadly I care not for home consoles as much any more as I perfer the handhelds in which my 3DS dominates my vita. Though they should reduce the price of the Eshop game if they are going this way. stupid not to. Just my 2cents

(don't get me wrong I do have a WiiU, and will get smash on both xD it's just I buy myself far more ob 3DS)

RedBeanPorridge

RedBeanPorridge said:

well hopefully people find a way to pirate the game on jailbroken ios devices complete with each and every separately paid episode for free, since it's been done so many times before, so that this version garners abysmal sales. Maybe then Capcom will think twice before pulling this kind of crap on us.

Also, can't wait to see whether or not they fix the grammar mistakes dual destinies suffered from. If they don't well then we'll know how much capcom truly cares.

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

Fair's fair. It's out much later on this platform, and they're missing out on all the cool 3D bells and whistles. And it actually had a few few of those. Some of the best use of 3D I've seen really.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Well, and very soon everyone just assumes the 3DS version is overpriced because it exists cheaper somewhere... great.

@Einherjar Sometimes it really feels like that. But on the other hand, smart device users can be seriously stingy. If it doesn't give you a crafting system, social features and overpriced microtransactions, it's not worth a buck to them.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Kaze_Memaryu that in and of itself says that we're overpaying for games and that the current price tags on games are somewhat arbitrary. PC games have generally been demonstrating this for years, but also remakes. "Here we swapped the textures and added some shaders, full priced game."

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

It's a full game, and well worth the money. I don't mind the $30 price tag.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

I only price I'll pay for an iOS game is 99 cents. Cuz that's what they're worth.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

Yes, but us 3ds owners who have already completed the game can ruin the ending for Mobile gamers:

"Phoenix doesn't die at the end! He wins the case!"

See?

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

Its only on ios devices if you pay the apple tax in order to save 10 in a game the joke is on you

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@19Robb92 It has loads. See mfigames.com - More than the 3DS. Some companies are still in the process of adding the support for physical controls but they have done at least one game.

Direct comparisons where it is possible the iOS version is the best and the cheapest. (Even when compared to the Wii versions if applicable).

Shantae (Dsiware)
Lego Star Wars (Any)
Lego Lord of the Rings (Any)
Final Fantasy III (DS version)
Final Fantasy IV (DS version)

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@Yorumi I would say it's actually the opposite.
The constant bargaining on games only exists because games are being offered too cheap. And that more or less started with smartphones, and the first few games that were released on their respective online platforms. The games were small time killers, and as such the developers (who barely needed more than a few weeks to make their games) could get away with offering it for a low price while making profits with it based on the same manipulative logic that also makes paid DLC lucrative. But as the casual gaming market became bigger, actual gaming companies started noticing how much money they could make while being lazy, and jumped in.
First they made mini-games based on their more well-known IP's, and when they went out of ideas, they started porting old games. Now the market is unable to actually accept justifiable price tags for quality games, instead blindly comparing it to price tags of cheaply-made puzzle games. And it only goes downhill from there.
Add to that how Steam throws their sales around, and it's just cringe-worthy how people only wait for the next sale instead of paying a proper, justified price.
If anything, the current market insanity only taught me to buy games from the developers directly to avoid lowered prices and give them their works' worth.

@MrGawain Spoilers are uncool, regardless of who you target.

@unrandomsam Except for Shantae, none of these titles are actually good. And Shantae is just a sad case of underappreciation through a way-too-low price tag. Also, the Steam version is even better, and that has a good price.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

HOLD IT!
So long as it comes to Nintendo systems, I will keep buying. If it goes to smartphones, I can't buy them, mainly because I don't have one.
If it keeps the company alive, hey, I'm all for it. Its not like its $10 or anything.

MightyKrypto

MightyKrypto said:

Awesome... and way cheaper than the Nintendo version! Must buy!!! Just shows how overpriced these games are in eShop and retail.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Kaze_Memaryu So sad, so true. To be perfectly honest, putting this game on smart devices is basicly a perfect match. It fits very well as a read on a train ride. Therefore, i have nothing against a smart device release at all if it makes sense.
The thing that really gets me though is the pricing policies, but its not the first time, nor will it be the last.
The smart device market is just a middle finger towards gaming in general. Its the testing grounds for new ripp off tactics, the gravejard of good ideas and basicly the automated milking mashine for franchises.
Hmmm...doesnt sound so different from the tripple A market now that i think about it.
But in all honesty, these games get basicly rated by their pricetag alone. Its automatically good when its cheap / free. And since its free, no one cares about flaws that should be ironed out before you release a game.

@Yorumi I have to second what @Kaze_Memaryu said. Bargaining games can seriously hurt the industry overall. Everything slightly more costly will be ignored and therefore, die a quick and painfull death.
The peoblem is, that most big tripple A studios can very well support such low prices, while studios in dire need for every copy sold at full price wont earn enough, and therefore, wont have enough funds to make even better, more involved games.
Its a slow process, but such a marketing strategy can, and very well be, eat away at gaming like we knew it.

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

Why do developers/publishers devalue their work so much on smart devices? I get that most smart phone users won't buy "expensive" games (generally anything over $5) but then how is it worth it? Do you really make that much money off selling it for so cheap on those devices? (I know this isn't as bad, so take this as more of a general statement)

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

While a tad annoying it isn't priced at $0.99, it's common knowledge that selling games on smartphones is completely about bulk meaning you need attractive prices.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Einherjar, @Kaze_Memaryu it's more the arbitrary pricing of games that's hurting things. Capcom wouldn't be putting it on the IOS market at this price if they thought they couldn't make a profit on it. So that means 3ds owners are paying more for the game for no other reason than they're willing to pay more. The completely arbitrary $60 home game $30-40 portable holds the industry back.

Why did 15-20 hour pilotwings cost as much as 300 hour Etrian Odyssey? Why should WWHD, where most of the work was already done cost as much as fully open world zeldaU? Why should xenoblade cost as much as the 15th sequel to final fantasy hallway simulator 13? Why should PC games on average cost 30% less than home console games?

I suppose it's a bit of a combination of both our points but if the pricing was so arbitrary quality could be rewarded and smaller games would have a good chance of getting their foot in the door(the eshop helps somewhat with this). Overall we shouldn't be paying a price for a game just because that's what everyone else is doing.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

@Kaze_Memaryu

I think you may have missed the sarcasm there. I very much doubt anyone would be surprised to find Wright's life isn't in mortal peril and he is successful in his job to win the day.

Unless of course the player never finishes the game that is.

outburst

outburst said:

I guess it has something to do with royalty/licensing fees which I assume is cheaper on mobile. Plus with those iOS user base, you could sell a lot more at a competitive price.

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

What is this... IOS... thing? I hope this comes to an actual smart OS, like Android, that intelligent people use.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

No surprise to me at this point. This is how Capcom does it's business. They dangle a carrot, then snatch it away. We'll see where Capcom goes from here I guess...

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@XFsWorld Or the other way around really. The market wouldnt have exploded so much if it wasnt for the fact that its so bloody cheap.
It would still have been "that gamer thing on my phone i dont use" for many many "casuals" that own such a device. But youre in no way wrong ;)

@Yorumi Really good point there. But the overall gaming scene was sneakily conditioned to explicitly not go by things like longlivety, content. overall quality, work put into it etc.
If that would be the case, series like Assassins Creed, Fifa or Cod to name a few, would have died ages ago.
These price tags are relics from an ancient past that never made the jump to modern times. They were made for a medium, no one really knew what to do with it and, sadly, they stood that way.
But like you said, you cant go with definites or extremes only.
People are getting conditioned to only look for the cheapest software around, and you cant beat free. That way, they are lulled into the mindset of "well, it didnt cost me, so i very well can spend a few bucks on 2 extra lives".
They are shifting from targete marketing of high price software to mass targeting dirt cheap shovelware.
Basicly just the same, exact thing, just turned inside out.

Ufaowl

Ufaowl said:

3DS price is good for me and I hope that the part of price difference is for Nintendo itself.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Einherjar yeah can't really argue with that, today is mostly just my ranting day it seems. I don't know why cause I'm not in any particular bad mood or anything.

Hero-of-WiiU

Hero-of-WiiU said:

This kind of thing just pisses me off, the Jett Tailfin game suffers the same problem but much worse.

themac2001

themac2001 said:

C'MON! I BOUGHT THIS GAME LIKE YESTERDAY FOR MY 3DS! Never mind, I'm sure my version is superior :3

Nareva

Nareva said:

I understand why people are upset, but it makes sense from Capcom's perspective. People who buy a gaming device, such as a 3DS, will generally be willing to pay higher prices for their gaming experiences, while people who buy phones and/or tablets are not doing so exclusively for gaming and will, generally speaking, probably not be willing to pay as much for the same experience.

hydeks

hydeks said:

people are blaming Capcom, but isn't it actually Nintendo's decision on the prices? :-P

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@hydeks @NintendoMark Nope. Capcom determined the price. Publishers have full control over the price in the eShop. Don't believe me? Do a comparison of prices on the eShop and Steam. They're usually the same at launch for most games on both services.

Second, no one is bringing up the fact that this game has been out for a while and would have been sold for less anyway? Or the fact that it's Japan-only?

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

Whatever. My jailbroken iPhone 4 is way too slow and jittery for a game, not to mention battery drains like crazy even if I'm just browsing Reddit. I'd rather fork over the extra money to play on a dedicated gaming device.

KodyDawg

KodyDawg said:

FINALLY! Now I won't get some dumb "This content is restricted" pop-up, and I can finally download the game! Albeit, on my iPod.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

crapcom brought the other Phoenix Wright games (and Ghost Trick as well) to iOS iirc... this was only a matter of time.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

I'm not too surprised. Ever since the GCN era with Viewiful Joe and Resident Evil 4, I begin to realize that most of Capcom games is either none existent on Nintendo's platform but on others, or is timed exclusive. I got my eyes on you Monster Hunters.

Fingers crossed they have a discount on the eshop for the game. I will get it for the 3ds in due time but less would be more convenient.

headfirstslide

headfirstslide said:

@denpa-ben Console/PC games pretty much, I guess. I'm okay with Flappy Bird or Clash of Clans, but I wasn't happy when they released, say, Grand Theft Auto 3 on phones. I don't even know why.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

So the DLC-enhanced version is at the same price point as the 3DS original? This isn't that bad, honestly. Guacamelee recently came to the Wii U at the same price point of last year's PS3 release, but the new version was substantially upgraded with two huge new areas.

Windy

Windy said:

This has been an issue for a very long time. It started around the time Zenonia came out. Where Zenonia was .99 cents on the Android store, We got the game for 7.99. There are other comparisons as well. Apparently we get better versions of those games which warrants a price difference. Simply put its Greedy!

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Still haven't picked the game up as I am still waiting for the trilogy to be releases. As for the price difference I am not really bother that much as the mobile market is a completely difference area. If they don't price their games cheaper then they won't get the sales.

Sure you could say the same for the 3ds version but I rather pay that bit extra to have the 3ds version over the mobile version because it would control better any it may not have as much performance issue as mobile games do.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

I too am waiting for the trilogy. I know it's already available on iOS, and a while ago, the trilogy was available for an obscenely cheap price ($8 or so), but I would much rather play it on the hardware that it was originally designed for.

The price difference doesn't really bother. Sure, it's unfair, but we must accept the differences between the two online marketplaces. Besides, I'm sure that the 3DS version will have fewer (if any) bugs (so it won't be prone to seemingly random crashes) and I won't need to squint to read the on-screen text when playing on an iPhone. Given the lack of a physical retail release however, the iOS version still offers substantially superior value as I can install the game on both my iPad and iPhone (I would have never considered obtaining an iPhone, but it was a free hand-me-down).

Nevertheless, I am glad that there are at least some high-calibre games available for iOS devices, even though the vast majority of customers seem to prefer inane time-guzzlers such as the "Saga" and "Ville" games.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@ultraraichu Don't worry, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Monster Hunter 4, and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate are exclusive to Nintendo via contract. Plus, iOS is getting Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, so I don't see Capcom porting them after the contract is up.

Gameday

Gameday said:

No problem where ever the game is released but dont like different prices for the same game...

Ash_Anne

Ash_Anne said:

I'm not bothered by this at all. I already have it on the 3ds. I might eventually pick up the iOS version just to support the series.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Gameday I don't like that either. (I like it even less when it is 75% or 85% off on Steam at the same time something is released on another platform at full price).

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

Objection!

Untitled

I object! That was... objectionable!

Capcom why did you do this? The older games were old so they were fine but the latest Dual Destinies as well? Not that many people are going to buy it though, people on smartphones hardly make expensive purchases and prefer games with microtransactions and other sharing features.

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

Okay... I don't really have a problem with it being on iOS, but they should reduce the price of the 3DS version.

TheWPCTraveler

TheWPCTraveler said:

Personally, I don't think this is much of a problem. At best, they only get a bunch of disgruntled "customers" complaining about the last arcs not being free.

Iggly

Iggly said:

It would be more painful if it said Ace Attorney Investigations 2 is coming to IOS considering the fact we never got the game for the DS in the first place. :|

KryptoKrunch

KryptoKrunch said:

iOS desperately needs good games, not a bad move at all. I'll be getting the AA trilogy on eShop.

jdarrell

jdarrell said:

ios versions are always going to be cheaper until Nintendo stops using retail carts.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@jdarrell Given that Capcom had full freedom to determine the price, Nintendo had very little to do with this

IrateGamer

IrateGamer said:

It's hilarious to see how Nintendo Life and GameFAQs harbor such bitterness to mobile gaming/Capcom/Square/etc.

In the grand scheme of things, your precious little handheld is safe from the big bad mobile gaming wolf.

Each has their market/demographics. Your precious 3DS will still have its games.

The mobile pricing model makes sense, if you know your background too.

Shambo

Shambo said:

UNACCEPTABLE! Oops, wrong game. Well, no retail version in Europe means I won't get it, unloess it gets discounted to, like, €10 max.

If Capcom pulls cheap BS, they shouldn't be surprised if gamers want it cheap.

By the way, Capcom, since you're doing a remaster of REmake (even as a Wii U fan I don't really care you skip Wii U), make a RETAIL 3DS version of it as well. I promise you, it'll be the best version of the game, EVER. "Interactive diorama" portable REmake. Who wouldn't want THAT?

Action51

Action51 said:

Wow...I wonder if the IOS version being a better deal with effect 3DS sales, and then Capcom will turn around and claim another example of why third party games don't work on Nintendo platforms.

electrolite77

electrolite77 said:

Good news for me. Haven't bought it yet because of Nintendo's inadequate Account system so I'll get it on IOS especially if it's cheaper. It's not a game that will miss buttons. More money Nintendo could have had...

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@MrGawain I guess I really did, since I haven't played Dual Destinies yet. Anything could happen, and, for a second, I thought it might've brought a final end to Wright in favor of Apollo, Edgeworth, or whoever else could be meaningful enough to get his/her own game.

@NintendoMark I don't know where you got the idea that you should pay more. I simply pointed out how ludicrous it is to proclaim that the 3DS version is 'overpriced', when you're simply not willing to pay a just price.
It's your thing, and I'm the last one who would or even could stop you from buying it on iOS, but that doesn't change that you're bargaining instead of supporting.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

I wanna know why it is cheaper, when it has better graphics. Just because it is on the iPhone does not mean it should be cheaper if it is the same experience with better graphics.

Jcdbengals

Jcdbengals said:

More people need to play these ace attorney games. So fun. And the 3d actually enhances the experience in my opinion. Capcom should release limited or collectors editions of these games for retail for the fans; we would pay. Wont buy on iphone but hopefully it helps build an audience.

jdarrell

jdarrell said:

@WaLzgi I was saying most console games are going to have a premium price because the people who buy them aren't willing to go digital only, even if the specific game is digital only.

Of course iOS is still usually cheaper than (digital only) PC ports, but at least it's somewhat of a surprise there.

Kisame83

Kisame83 said:

I actually quite enjoy Phoenix Write on my iPad. Whether you like to "game" on your phone or not, PW games are borderline visual novels that control mostly through tapping rough dialogue, dialogue choices, and a handful of light touch screen puzzles. There is 0 superiority to playing it on a DS/3DS. The improved visuals and sharper text is a nice touch, too.