Nintendo of Europe Confirms Mario Kart 8 Limited Edition Software Bundle

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

The Spiny Shell is back

With Mario Kart 8 set to be a major release for the Wii U on 30th May, Nintendo of Europe has now started its engines on building hype and encouraging pre-orders. Having confirmed Super Mario Kart for the Wii U Virtual Console, along with a tempting eShop discount, it's also outlined physical retail options to tempt you to the High Street.

The big ticket item is undoubtedly the Mario Kart 8 Limited Edition software bundle, which comes with a nice box, a copy of the game and an attractive Spiny Shell statue; it's pictured above. It'll be available throughout Europe at select retailers, while those in the UK can pre-order from the Nintendo UK store; GAME has posted its listing, meanwhile, for £59.99. Depending on retailer and availability, existing pre-orders will be given the opportunity to upgrade.

There are more pre-order goodies confirmed for the UK & Ireland, regardless of whether you opt for the standard or limited edition, with keyrings specific to different retailers. A Golden Dash Mushroom keyring will come with pre-orders from Very and Littlewoods, while a Bullet Bill keyring will be included with pre-orders from Grainger Games, Game Centre, 365 Games (online only), Game Seek (online only), Base.com (online only), Playtime, The Games Exchange, That Game Shop, Gamescene, Xpress Games. In addition, the Nintendo UK store will offer exclusive special deals that include the Mario Kart 8 Limited Edition Spiny Shell bundle, a Bullet Bill T-Shirt and the Red Shell keyring, or alternatives without the Spiny Shell; these have limited availability.

GAME also has an offer of the game plus a Wii U wheel currently priced at £39.99.

We'd expect Nintendo of America to also announce some pre-order incentives and bundles, so we'll keep our eyes peeled. For those of you in Europe, how tempted are you by the limited edition bundle and pre-order incentives?

FishieFish

FishieFish said:

Freaking awesome.
It's so cool to see Nintendo offering more collector editions of games.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I've noticed that Nintendo seems to already be promoting Mario Kart 8 across its regions recently, with ads in Japanese stores and now this. They should be considering this is going to be Wii U's most important game. Hopefully we in NA get something like this.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Holy crap. If this is coming to North America, this might be my first limited edition ever. I usually don't go out of my way to get one, but this is cool. :D

rjejr

rjejr said:

Is €40 normal for a Wii U game, seems cheap w/ the wheel? Would be nice if you could get 1 set w/ both the wheel and the shell.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Definitely getting the shell bundle :D

Loved the WInd Waker HD Ganondorf bundle.

bouncer0304

bouncer0304 said:

Just pre-ordered it on Nintendo's online store. While Game are charging £59.99 for the limited edition, Nintendo are also including a bullet bill tshirt and shell keyring for the same price and also has free delivery. They also have a £49.99 bundle with the only difference being that it's a normal edition of the game. Here's the link for it: http://store.nintendo.co.uk/elysium.search?search=mario+kart

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I've already got the game pre-ordered but I might change... I have it so far for £35 so a spiny blue shell is not worth £25 thanks. Steering wheel looks awesome though.

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

The T-shirt bundle on the UK Store isn't bad value, but the shell is very overpriced for what it is, compared to the Mario Kart trophies that were on Club Nintendo.
Just the game for me. I've got too much tat as it is.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

I had to wipe all of the drool off my desk. Man, I hope that comes to America! I've already reserved the game of course, but getting all of that is a no-brainer. That blue shell would look really nice next to my Club Nintendo characters statue and Ganondorf from Wind Waker HD.

King47

King47 said:

I hope this comes to the US. I got the bravely default limited edition, though I didn't like the game, so I'll be happy to pick this up. I also hope for a club Nintendo poster.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Anyone know from experience how Nintendo's online store are in regards to preorders? I'm tempted to go with them over Game since the Shirt and Keyring justifies the £60 limited edition a bit more.

Squid

Squid said:

I really want those keychains! The statue is meh in my opinion. I would love if they had a statue that was an imitation of one of the in-game statues, but that's a bit much I suppose. I hope we at least get something good here in the US, hopefully Ninty will be trying to give all regions some goodies to boost sales.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

This pretty expensive to me probably gonna pass unless the price comes down at least to £50.

BigH88

BigH88 said:

NOA better announce something like this. I want that statue. Don't need it but want it.

FX102A

FX102A said:

I'm usually all over special editions but having tasted PROPER collector's editions from companies like NIS America, XSEED, Ghostlight and Bandai Namco, I find many of Nintendo's offerings lacking and excessively expensive. The Ganondorf statue with Windwaker HD was subpar with its floppy bent swords and the less said about Bravely Default's statue the better (rest of the swag was good). But yeah, I ain't paying £60 for a small shell and a box.

THIS is what a special edition should be like:

Shambo

Shambo said:

Now I just need one of my favourite game stores to open up preorders for this... I'll look every day until I'm certain of my copy!

MorriganIsHot

MorriganIsHot said:

I hope this means spiny shell make a come back after all these years since that awful flying blue shell replaced it since double dash.

Mainer82

Mainer82 said:

I'm tired of UK News on this site... is there a better US Nintendo news site?
I would have ordered this if it was available in the US.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

@Mainer82 They post pretty much every piece of US news that comes out but so far Nintendo of America haven't said anything about this. No doubt as soon as Nintendo announce it, NLife will post it.

Wanderhope

Wanderhope said:

OMG I don't usually buy this kind of stuff, or physical games at all, but given that statue is the BLUE SHELL and my profile pic...I hope this comes to NA!

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Mainer82 It's not our fault NoA hasn't announced anything yet! We cover NA news when it's actually there. In this case, it isn't yet.

nik1470

nik1470 said:

It's nice but didn't think the blue shell is worth £20. The game and Wheel for £40 seems like better value for money so I went with that!

2Sang

2Sang said:

If those keychains and the blue spiny shell come to NOA, I might actually get MK8 even though I'm not a huge fan of the series.

Doma

Doma said:

@MorriganIsHot Actually, it came back in 7. But still hovers/flies and hardly changes its behaviour, despite the lack of wings. Expect the same thing in 8, if you buy it.

None of this tempts me. Mario Kart is old-hat.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

The next time I hear another Euro gamer crying over how we get all the cool stuff in NA, I'm gonna smack them silly! You guys got an awesome bundle with A Link Between Words, all we got was a digital copy of Oracle of Seasons from GameStop; and now this awesome Blue Shell and T-Shirt! Probably all we're getting here in NA (if that) is that lame plastic Wii Wheel. Pffft!!! :-P

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

I'm really hoping Nintendo gives us in the US a collectors edition that's nearly as cool as this. It seems like Europe always gets the cooler collectors edition. Not to say they don't get snubbed in other areas though. :/

FX102A

FX102A said:

Ok, I got the Nintendo Direct special edition, a t-shirt, statuette and key ring is worth 20 squids (kinda).

GooRoo

GooRoo said:

Drooling over the shell and the Bullet Bill keychain. Hope they come to the U.S.!

babyguess

babyguess said:

I bet we (NA) gets nada as in nothing. C'mon Nintendo give us something, anything like a chain chomp or bullet bill shirt will do.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Yes this will be mine , I have been googling mario kart 8 all week in the hope for a special edition. There isn't enough special editions
I got Zelda and super mario 3D world so far this will sit lovely in my collection

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Preordered on the nintendo website, I want that t shirt. I want all the key rings as well especially the bullet bill one
Have to settle with the red shell I guess eBay prices will be horrendous for buying the others :(

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

America better get this, or else I'll burn NoA headquarters... burn it down to the gwound.
Untitled

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Once again I'm getting a bit jealous of the physical bonuses! Although if it's anything like Wind Waker HD's limited edition, Nintendo will decide for me by not offering it here. Oddly enough, I have the exact same Bullet Bill T-Shirt Nintendo is offering! EB Games sells lots of Nintendo gear here in Australia, and I recently scored one for $8 in an online sale. :)

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

@Jazzer94 "...cheap plastic case..." Don't tell me you were expecting a real wooden case with metal frame, he he. But seriously, as a Zelda fan, I wouldn't have minded getting that "cheap plastic case" vs a digital copy of an incomplete game experience (remember we need both Ages and Seasons to get the whole Oracle experience).

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Wowzers! Awesome bundles :D Too bad they're wayyy over priced for me, + shipping would be huge. I hope we get at least the Blue Shell Mario Kart 8 bundle here in Australia but even if we don't, oh well. It'll be more incentive for me to download Mario Kart 8 & hence I'll have MK8 always just a button press away to get online quickly in game :D

zool

zool said:

The game and a plastic toy for £60. Who is ripping who off???????????

GuruOfGreatness

GuruOfGreatness said:

I ordered the £39.99 one with the wheel, first thing this morning when I saw it on GAME's website. May 30TH 2014...........the Genesis (no pun) of the Wii U begins.............................again!!!!! ;)

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

I wanted to ask if any of you know the sizing chart if you order Mario Kart 8 with the shirt?

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

Very cool amazing ! i pre-ordered form nintendo store uk for keyring and t-shirt i love the box it's the same as Zelda wind waker box :)
Sooo good not long to go 30th may :) can't wait.

Skomsern

Skomsern said:

Argh, if only Nintendo UK could send to Norway, I was underway of ordering their collectors edition with shell, key ring, and shirt, but.... fudgesicle.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

May 30th and the first week of June is judgement day for Nintendo...
If they can make Mario Kart 8 into the success it should be then I am confident that the Wii U will be a rewarding console to own.
If it is released and the fanfare fades without any significant change in sales then the Wii U is almost certainly destined to be Nintendo's worst major console.
June seems a long way away....

CrimsonShadow21

CrimsonShadow21 said:

If they do a gamestop exclusive like they did for wind waker, I might just flip a table over in anger. I did not get my wind waker ce and was upset since it was so popular too.

Finntendo

Finntendo said:

I agree, 20£ extra for the shell is bit.. too much. Have to check if your shops offer this with nicer price. For Ganondorf figurine extra money was worth it (even someone earlier here said it's crappy..Agnes statue is cool also).

Hah, I tried to order LBW special edition, my order went thru and they were sending it and oops, we don't have this. So umm, they send me the code for LA the instant I placed my order and a month after... the poster was in my mailbox :P So only thing I was missing was the chest (that was the one I wanted) but oh well.. of course I try to find frames for the poster but those are sooo expensive for A0.

Oh Mario Kart, the ultimate test for the couples. So many times we've started to play excited, then accuses about bad car, then stupid game and finally one of us turns the console off during the race. We've had to make rule with husband that both take same car so no accusations "you have btter" can be made.

But I miss DD's co-op (I was always driving and he throwing items and even with that we got to a fight)

EDIT: Ahhaha, I checked one Finnish webstore that has been selling LE's - oh come on! Normal game 59,90e and LE for 99,99e. Are you kidding me?! Maybe they've just thrown some price there. Oh found another..120e - oh dear lord XDDDDDDD

turnmebackwards

turnmebackwards said:

I have it pre-ordered with ShopTo at just under £40.00 so for a extra £20.00 I can get a T-Shirt, Blue Shell & Keyring not too bad a deal.
Anyone know what Nintendo UK Store is like for getting games to you on time or early for release date?

Moose_4

Moose_4 said:

@turnmebackwards
I have only ordered 2 things from Nintendo UK store, both came a couple of days early.
Wii Fit U meter came early before Wii Fit U was released.
The other was Luigi 3DS, which i got before its actual release.
I think they do send them out maybe a day earlier. Because if a Game store sent them out early, Nintendo could complain, but they aren't going to tell them selves off.
This will be my first actual game from their store. So i hope they keep doing that.

ChuJelly

ChuJelly said:

A simple statue isn't enough to warrant an expensive special edition in my opinion, but the deals with the shirt + keychain too or the wheel bundle sound well worth it. I doubt I'll be buying Mario Kart 8 around when it comes out, but if either of those deals come to NA I may very well consider it. :)

daveh30

daveh30 said:

I really hope this comes to NA... I'd be all over it. Nintendo really should do more Collectors Editions for their games. They have the perfect franchises for it.
(as an aside, the Grand Wizard Cartman Statue that came with the South Park Stick of Truth Collectors Edition is super sweet....)

K-Gamer

K-Gamer said:

Very glad that spiny shell is back. It puts other racers at risk other than the flying one only hitting the first place person, it just makes it seem a bit more fair.

AceTrainerBean

AceTrainerBean said:

Just ordered mine from game =) I wish Nintendo UK delivered to Ireland though because that T shirt is awesome XD May 30th cannot come quickly enough!!!

TySoN_F

TySoN_F said:

I'd upgrade my pre-order in a heartbeat if this game to NA. Haha, but honestly, it's nice to see Nintendo making some special editions since Ninty doesn't make that a habit (unlike the rest of the gaming industry).

smikey

smikey said:

Jut placed the order on the Nintendo online store for the game, t shirt, blue shell and red shell keyring.

it's fantastic to see some limited edition stuff not only available in game in the uk who market virtually zero Nintendo products at all. (that's loyalty for you)

do wonder what sort of limited figures they'll have for smash bros they'd be mad not to do some (even though I'd want them all and they'll go for stupid prices on ebay)

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

All that stuff is nice but I'm really just waiting for a Wii U MK8 bundle announcement. Then I shall get my freak out on.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@Dark-Link73 It was 20 pounds more expensive then the standard edition only a crazy person would have paid for it aka one of my friends and even he admitted that it was a mistake.

Farmboy74

Farmboy74 said:

Just ordered the limited edition bundle from Nintendo's Uk online store, personally it offers the best value for money when compared to what Amazon, Game Shopto etc are charging for the limited edition on their sites

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

@Dark-Link73 said: "The next time I hear another Euro gamer crying over how we get all the cool stuff in NA, I'm gonna smack them silly!"

Mate, in Europe we've got 3 console generations of 50Hz payback due. You've got some pain to endure yet! ;-)

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Even the box is awesome. No special box for NA :( I want special box. I want blue spiky shell. I want red shell keyring, and golden mushroom keyring, and Bullet Bill keyring, I want new racing wheel. Eh, to eBay and quadruple prices from scalpers it is then!!!

jshcamisado

jshcamisado said:

Can anyone tell me whether they take the money for the pre-order upfront on the UK Nintendo Store? Or does it work similarly to other online retailers where they take the payment once the order is dispatched?

Senario

Senario said:

@AJWolfTill Worst in sales maybe, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. Just like I had fun and still have a lot of fun with gamecube games. Melee, Wind Waker, and Double dash are all still very very fun games. Though I suppose WWHD is also on the Wii U.

Farmboy74

Farmboy74 said:

@jshcamisado, Nintendo Uk store works like all other online retailers, you will not be charged until the goods are dispatched. It states this on my online receipt.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

damn i want this so bad i will pay so much to get my hands on that blue shell too bad i live in america.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@Senario I love mine! I've laready got more games for it than I have on 3ds despite having it for less time. Despite being shafted by many third parties it has had a great library so far. My issue is that now that development is transfering to Ps4/Xbone, the Wii U is in a terrible midground which is unlikely to see dedicated development of many next-gen titles. If Mario Kart and e3 can significantly drive sales then I have nothing to worry about.