Nintendo Download: 30th May (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Legendary Zelda, Mega Man X, free Project X, Denpa Men (X?) and more

It's Nintendo Download time once again, North America, and this week we've got retro goodies for your newest console, some top-notch gaming for the 3DS and a lot of discounted dancing. Let's get right to it.

Wii U Virtual Console

Mega Man X (Capcom, $7.99) — The first of the "X" spin-off series to grace the Super NES, it takes the basics of the original franchise and adds enhancements to controls and the hero's move-set, while also featuring lush 16-bit visuals. This is regarded by many as a classic, and we'll be revisiting it on the Wii U for a fresh review; until then you can see what we loved about it in our Wii Virtual Console Mega Man X review.

Ghosts 'n Goblins (Capcom, $4.99) — The NES title that would eventually spawn last week's brilliant SNES arrival, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. It's classic 8-bit running, jumping and attacking, with a legendary level of difficulty to boot. We'll have someone take another look at the Wii U version soon, but until then you can check out our 3DS Virtual Console Ghosts 'n Goblins review, where we gave it a solid recommendation.

Wii U eShop Discounts

Ghosts 'n Goblins and Mega Man X — If you purchase one of the these titles, you get the other at a 50% discount. This is a peculiar offer as taking it up the wrong way round could, in theory, cost you money, so if you do this be sure to buy Ghosts 'n Goblins first, to get the more expensive Mega Man X at half price. The offer ends on 6th June.

Toki Tori 2 (Two Tribes, $11.24 until 6th June, normally $14.99)

Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft, $34.99 until 4th June, normally $49.99) — As well as a reduction of the Wii U eShop game price, the following songs are on sale for $2.10 until 4th June on both Wii and Wii U.

Part of Me - Katy Perry (Wii and Wii U)
You Make Me Feel... - Cobra Starship featuring Sabi (Wii and Wii U)
Gangnam Style - PSY (Wii and Wii U)
Funhouse - P!nk (Wii only)
Make the Party (Don't Stop)(N) - Bunny Beatz (Wii only)
One Thing - One Direction (Wii and Wii U)
Dagomba (2)/(3D) - Sorcerer (Wii and Wii U)
Heavy Cross - Gossip (Wii and Wii U)
Hit The Lights - Selena Gomez & The Scene (Wii and Wii U)
So Glamorous - Harlin James & Clav (Wii and Wii U)
Want U Back - Cher Lloyd featuring Astro (Wii only)
We R Who We R - Ke$ha (Wii and Wii U)
Oath - Cher Lloyd featuring Becky G (Wii and Wii U)
Boom (3) - MC Magico and Alex Wilson (Wii and Wii U)
The Lazy Song - Bruno Mars (Wii and Wii U)
Gold Dust - DJ Fresh (Wii and Wii U)
Professor Pumplestickle (2D)/(3D) - Nick Phoenix & Thomas J. Bergersen (Wii and Wii U)
Die Young - Ke$ha (Wii and Wii U)
Primadonna - Marina and the Diamonds (Wii and Wii U)
Baby Girl (2)/(3D) - Reggaeton (Wii only)

3DS eShop

The Denpa Men 2: Beyond the Waves (Genius Sonority, $11.99) — A long awaited sequel for those that enjoyed the dungeon crawling, AR seeking gameplay of the original. This is a relentlessly charming game that also encourages you to take your 3DS on the road, while improving on the first title in almost every way. We gave it a glowing recommendation in our The Denpa Men 2: Beyond the Waves review.

Gummy Bears Mini Golf (Enjoy Gaming, $5.99) — The Gummy Bears return to the 3DS eShop after an incredibly short break, this time for some golfing shenanigans. It's a minor improvement over the first franchise appearance, but only by a little, and has some issues holding it back. You'll be able to read all about it when our review is posted, very soon.

3DS Virtual Console

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Nintendo, $5.99) — A release that prompted much nostalgic hype when revealed via Nintendo Direct earlier this year, this is one part of the dual arrival of the highly regarded Zelda Oracle Game Boy Color titles. We'll be reviewing this fresh 3DS release soon.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Nintendo, $5.99) — The other half of the double bill, and when owned alongside Oracle of Ages will enable the original Game Boy Color link cable functionality on the 3DS, unlocking tweaks in the experience and an all-new end boss. Watch out for our upcoming review.

3DS Virtual Console Discount

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Nintendo, $4.99 until 20th June, normally $5.99)

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Nintendo, $4.99 until 20th June, normally $5.99)

3DS Retail Demo

Project X Zone (Capcom, free) — European gamers were fortunate enough to get a free sample of this mash-up action RPG last week, and now it's the turn of North America. This Imperial Demo — the same as the sample released in Europe — will be available from 4th June, and should be a guaranteed download as it's absolutely free. You can see what we thought of it in our Project X Zone demo hands on.

So that's your lot, with a good mixture covering various genres and price points. Let us know how you'll be spending your dollars in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (398 votes)

Mega Man X (Wii U Virtual Console)

Ghosts 'n Goblins (Wii U Virtual Console)

Toki Tori 2 (Wii U eShop discount)

Just Dance 4 (Wii U retail download and DLC discounts)

The Denpa Men 2: Beyond the Waves (3DS eShop)

Gummy Bears Mini Golf (3DS eShop)

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (3DS Virtual Console)

12%

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (3DS Virtual Console)

Mega Man X and Ghosts 'n Goblins together, for the discount

Both Oracle games together, for the GBC Link play

33%

Just the Project X demo for me

17%

Nothing for me this week

10%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Wiidsguy

Wiidsguy said:

You need to have your poll allow more then one answer. This week i will get three or four games.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

As much as I want Mega Man X I will have to hold off on that one for now. Going to be downloading the Oracle games as soon as I pick up a point card,

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

Spelunker journey to the eShop comes to a road block from team Bowser. Thanks Nintendo PR.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Only downloading everything on 3DS, save Gummy Bears: Mini Golf. Wii U VC doesn't deserve my attention this week.

@Wiidsguy: The poll asks which one you're going to download first.

Edit: Oh, and I might pick up Toki Tori 2. :)

scottsensei

scottsensei said:

Really need the multiple answer option. Mega Man X, both Oracle games, Project X for me. Wish the discount counted towards Super Ghouls and Ghost but oh well. Hot week.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

Downloading (or have) everything this week except Gummy Bears Mini Golf.

EDIT: Oh and except Just Dance 4

Kurtis_the_Red

Kurtis_the_Red said:

I planned on picking up the Oracle games and will be downloading them later today, but the Mega Man X and Ghouls and Ghost deal is interesting. I loved Mega Man as a kid, especially the 'X' series (Hence my profile Pic) and I've wondered about G&G since so many people love it for its difficulty.

If I can get X half off, and pick up the much praised G&G it might be worth it in the end.

ohhaime

ohhaime said:

It's very strange to hold back the X Zone demo when it's already out in Europe.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Need to complete Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts and Super Mario 2 before I buy another game!

If this list had N64, Gamecube or a Zelda game for Wii U I might reconsider.

Rafie

Rafie said:

MMX for me! Glad we're (U.S.) are finally getting a demo for Project X!

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

Finally! I'm going to get to play Oracle of Ages and Seasons. These are some of the few Zelda titles I have never played.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

This is a nice looking week for downloads.
Getting Denpa Men 2! (If my dinky SD card can handle it.......)

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

Next week's Nintendo Download is the two year anniversary of the operation (opening) of the 3DS eShop! :)

SLiM

SLiM said:

Nice Toki Tori 2 discount. I recommend it to any puzzle fan. Great game!

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

Freaking amazing. Zelda VC, Denpa men 2, Two legendary Capcom classics and a demo! Oh and a some sales as well!

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I vote for Denpa 2 just to get it some votes. Ill be dl,ing quite a bit and really happy we got the xzone demo! Oracal games for me as well!

Nintendude789

Nintendude789 said:

I'm so excited for both Oracle games! I woke up early cause of the excitement. I need to wait couple of hours.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Was planning on just getting Mega Man X, but... that Ghosts and Goblins offer is too tempting to pass up. :)

SpinelessOyster

SpinelessOyster said:

Looking forward to Mega Man X. It was the first and only Mega Man I played until I bought the original on the Wii U VC.

Spuratis

Spuratis said:

Been looking forward to Zelda for months now, forgot about it these last few days. Come to the website, see this and imagine my surprise.. finally. :)

snoox

snoox said:

Are Oracle of Ages & Seasons completely different games? Which is best to play 1st? Or is it really not very necessary to play both?

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

If I get MMX for $1.50 (the discounted SNES price), does that mean I can still get GnG for half off? That's the situation that would save me the most money. :-P

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

I'll go for the Project X demo first. I been having mixed feelings on getting the game or not based on the gameplay. At least I'll know how the controls are first hand instead of watching videos.

I'll download The Denpa Men 2 as soon as I finish the first, which will be a few months from now.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

The PXZ demo isn't available until June 4th. That's why it's not showing up in the eShop yet.

Algus

Algus said:

gah, I don't really care for Ghosts n' Goblins but it is a good game to torture friends with. Deal sounds good and not much more than buying X outright. Guess I gotta get both.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

So glad the Zelda Oracle games are being released today. Every Club Nintendo question regarding the VC on the 3DS eShop I've put that thy need to release these and it has finally happened!!! Time to put a bug in them about Super Mario Deluxe, the excellent GBC version of the original Super Mario Bros. It was a great game, would make for a great download!!!

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

Ah shucks! I didn't see the option for both Oracle games until it was too late :( However, I'm getting MegaMan X as well so no big deal. Pretty darn good retro update.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Voted Seasons but I will have both.

Edit: oops, now I saw the getting both one.

nilcam

nilcam said:

I'm getting Mega Man X (upgrade from Wii VC), both Zelda Oracles games and the Project X Zone demo. I'm also considering Toki Tori 2. Pretty heavy week and that makes me happy.

TheEmerlLad

TheEmerlLad said:

My retro re-visitation journey continues! eshop better hurry with getting Ages and Season up. I really, really, REALLY, need them as of right now.

Also I can't wait to try out Project X, looks like hectic fun!

Deadstanley

Deadstanley said:

I was just going to buy Mega Man X but thanks to the tip from this article, I can get both for just a dollar more. Thanks!

AzureShadow

AzureShadow said:

I think just the project X Zone will be it for me. Though I may revisit Seasons and Ages at some point perhaps.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

$12 for Denpa Men? What the hell is going on with the prices lately? Specially with the sequels.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

@Dr_42o @Blizzaga Normally the eShop is updated at noon Eastern Standard Time. However, the Oracle LoZ games were supposed to go on sale starting at 9am EST. I'm not home to check so I don't know.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@snoox: They are both completely different games. Different items, different dungeons, different storylines... Doesn't matter which one you play first, just get them both, trust me:) They are each on sale for $1 off the regular price until 6/20. These games are a steal at $5 each!

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

In the meantime I keep feeling bad sending Kevin Cassidy tips about games that are being released on the eShop a certain day, and then it gets delayed sometimes at the last moments.

KillerGBH

KillerGBH said:

finally the best megaman ever made is on Wii U. Lucky 3ds got 4 or 5 zelda games in Eshop. i think its the time the Wii U get some zelda VC as well.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Oddly, Nintendo.com still lists Spelunker for today. I can't confirm what is or is not actually releasing though, because the update is late! Nintendo was so good about having it up at exactly noon Eastern...what happened?

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Ryno That wasn't in the press release, so unless someone spots it on the eShop (let me know if you do!) then it's a mistake on the website.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

the eShop doesn't usually update until 12:30pm not 12pm. I'm getting the Oracle games and the X Zone demo. Sucks that I have to wait until the 4th for that though

adeceku

adeceku said:

Well since I have both oracles, there is no need to download those games, I'm interested in the denpa men game so i will probably download the first one.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@mumof3kids82: Not in my experience...oh well, it updated a few minutes ago anyway.

@ThomasBW84: After a thorough examination, I can confidently say that Spelunker was pushed back. I bet its publisher isn't going to be happy about that...

TheRegginator

TheRegginator said:

I already have the Mega Man X Collection. I wish that the offer had been for Ghost n' Goblins and Super Ghosts n' Goblins. That would have encouraged me to check out the series.

allav866

allav866 said:

I didn't see the "both" option for the Oracles, but by the time I connected to the eShop, only Ages was available. Seasons came 2 minutes later.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I would download one of the games above but I am saving my money for Animal Crossing New Leaf.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

@snoox I say play Seasons first. Ages has a much better storyline, so it's much more epic and satisfying to play it last. And there are HUGE benefits to playing both. There's a password system where the games interact with each other leading to tons of awesome items and bonus sections and a big story finale that ties the two games together. (And also, they're two amazing Zelda games, so you GOTTA play both!)

Windy

Windy said:

I'm shocked the DenpaMen 2 is not getting the love. I downloaded the DenpaMen 2 and Oracles-Seasons. Great week for gaming and Nintendo= the killer of wallets!

Bad News! My 16 gig card is full. I had to uninstall a demo and the only demo I had installed to get the DenpaMen on my card. Its time to buy a new sdcard

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

Oh crud, I clicked the wrong one, I voted "Oracle of Seasons" but I actually bought both Oracle games. Oh well.

Rukiafan

Rukiafan said:

It also looks like the Netflix and Hulu Plus channels for the Wii have updates available for them. ;)

idork99

idork99 said:

Downloaded Oracle of Seasons/Ages!

I haven't played this (these) Zelda since 2001! I recall buying both games when they came out and did not disappoint! I only played through the entire (both) game once. Not because I didn't like the game enough to replay it because I obviously did. But I made the unfortunate mistake at the time to lend them to a friend that never returned the games. Some friend. And besides, I was having too much fun with my new GBA at the time. Lol

Anyhow, I can't recall which game I started with first back then so I did a coin toss and started with Seasons! After playing it for a couple of minutes, I can say this: If you enjoyed Link's Awakening DX, you are going to love this one (s)! Link's Awakening was a project Nintendo started just to push the boundaries of the original Game Boy's hardware and was eventually made into a Zelda game a la A Link to the Past from the SNES. If that game was made to push the graphic boundaries, this one can be argued that it does the same for the Game Boy Color hardware. Bigger environments, great music, and creative puzzles is what makes Oracle of Seasons/Ages a great top down Zelda classic IMO!

RR529

RR529 said:

Don't have my money on my account yet, but when I do, I'll definitely be grabbing the Zelda: Oracle games! I'll also get Denpa Men 2 at a later date (the first is the second best eShop game, IMO), and get the X Zone demo, once it releases.

Fantastic week!

Joygame51

Joygame51 said:

ahh well, DISed again on the DSI...(Sigh!) But happy for all you 3DSers out there!

Emaan

Emaan said:

I'll be downloading the Project X Zone demo and I'll get The Legend of Zelda Oracle games at some point.

Taya

Taya said:

I'm getting Denpa Men 2, both Oracle games, Megaman X (and I guess Ghost and Goblins too), and possibly Toki Tori.

biglittlejake

biglittlejake said:

Wii U another disappointment for a week.:( I think though I might buy a 3DS, Oracles and the other Zelda games on the 3DS look cool, as does Animal Crossing and the obvious Ocarina Of Time, and hopefully operation moon fall will succeed with Majora's Mask 3DS.

biglittlejake

biglittlejake said:

I have been thinking you know why Nintendo doesn't like emulators and ROM's? They don't make any money off of them, even though the Eshop is basically a emulator and as is the virtual console, while the games are ROM's. Nintendo can't stand it so much that they ended up using them. Nintendo is funny, messing with ROM's could end you up with a 100,000 dollar fine. Ouch

Lobster

Lobster said:

Thanks for letting me choose both Zeldas! I know I asked for that option in the PAL download for this week and I see you've put it here, so thanks! I feel like you guys really took my input (and others', of course) into account. :D

KryptoKrunch

KryptoKrunch said:

Good week. I've already download both Oracle games and played a bit of Ages. I think I'll also download the PXZ demo.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Nothing for me, I've already played and beaten Mega Man X & Ghost 'n Goblins(Ok i guess i didn't technically beat it since beating the game twice reveals
the TRUE ending.)

Still waiting for Mega Man X3, Gargoyles Quest II and Demon's Crest Capcom...

evildevil97

evildevil97 said:

I picked up the Oracle games. I may take part in the Wii U VC sale, but I was hoping for a better one... like get two bucks off X if you bought NES MM1, or something.

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

Project X Zone... LET'S GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm FINNA DOWNLOAD THIS FOR SHURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Void

Void said:

I might get 5 things this week, the Oracle games, Megaman X, The Denpa Men, and the Project X Zone demo.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Bought G 'n G and picked up X for $4.00. Hopefully they will release X3 for Wii U Vc eventually though they never did on the Wii. Love the VC sales!

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

@Wiidsguy: I don't see how that would be possible without multiple 3DS systems. Even with Download now, you can only select one game at a time.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Already downloaded Oracle of Seasons and I'm loving it. Glad to have something awesome to play in my breaks from DKCR3D. :)

TenEighty

TenEighty said:

Nintendo could make more money if they still offered new downloads for the Wii Virtual Console too.

GamerFromJump

GamerFromJump said:

Dang, didn't notice the "both Zeldas" option. But yeah, those and PXZ. Not Megaman X, since I have X Collection.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I got Seasons. If nothing I want comes out this Thursday, I'll probably get Ages.

@WaveBoy: Yeah, I want MMX3, too! :)