@ioev New Leaf's Welcome amiibo update was not focused on decorating at all. It may have added new decorations, but those were far from the appeal of the update. New Leaf had no reason to focus on decorating when Happy Home Designer existed. Tbh, so were the amiibo features, which either didn't actually require amiibo or just amounted to more villagers and decorations. That update actually added and/or fixed several key features in New Leaf and overall made it better. It's arguably one of the best updates they ever made to a Nintendo game.
New Horizons sucks, though. I'll give you that. That game is irredeemable.
My ranking thus far:
1. Shadows of Valentia
2. Radiant Dawn
3. Engage (in progress)
4. Path of Radiance
5. Shadow Dragon (DS)
6. Sacred Stones
7. Awakening
8. Three Houses
9. Shadow Dragon (FC)
10. Blazing Blade
11. Fates (Conquest)
I've decided to keep Heroes off of this list, since that seems to be its own thing nowadays.
I don't think any of the games I've played thus far are anything lower than a 6/10. Engage would be higher if the story and characters were better (except Yunaka and Veyle. Those two are fine). I'm probably one of the few that genuinely likes FE11, but I'll die on that hill. Fortune's Weave would've been here if my copy got here sooner, but I expect it to be in the upper half of my list.
@Zaruboggan I agree that Radiant Dawn is too low and Fates shouldn't even register on a list like this, but Engage arguably has some of the best gameplay in the series, story aside. Even without the Emblems, the overall flow and use of chain attacks just feels really good to me. Again, it has nothing to do with the story or characters. I just want to make that clear.
Just came by to say that Haunted Castle Revisited should definitely be on this list. Yes, it's exclusive to the Dominus Collection, but it's still a remake of a game that desperately needed it, with excellent rearrangements to boot.
@Anon505 I find that to be nearly impossible. Rarely is a videogame, let alone a Nintendo game, so abysmally awful on all fronts that it has zero redeeming qualities. If you think this game is genuinely worse than Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels, I can't take your opinion seriously.
@Hylian-Likely tbh, recruiting in Fire Emblem in general was always sketchy. You either reset entire maps just because you missed saving a green unit by one turn, or you have to fulfill some obscene requirements to get the unit, sometimes without warning beforehand. It's why I almost never play these games without a guide.
Also, I don't care about map design. I endured Radiant Dawn and Shadows of Valentia, so I earned my right to not care.
@Jeronan @SuperPaulio the dungeon feature is carried over from Fire Emblem Gaiden, the second game in the series, and its remake, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. It was controversial in those games as well, but the difference was that you couldn't skip the dungeons in those games. I personally thought they were fine and even fun at times, but I could see why others wouldn't really like them all that much. I also won't give the games flack for it since Gaiden was very experimental and Echoes was a very faithful remake.
Arguably the best introduction they could've given to 3D Zelda. Even though I played Skyward first, this first dungeon is simple enough to figure out without a guide, yet interesting enough to sell you on the hook of the game. The atmosphere definitely helps.
It's a shame the next two dungeons are incredibly mediocre.
@MeloMan pretty sure Radiant Dawn is about 40 hours in a single playthrough. Granted, the Tellius games were supposed to be a trilogy, and Radiant Dawn is likely two games crammed into one, but my point still stands.
I do agree somewhat, though. Playing the same game three to four different times in quick succession just to unlock or see everything is kinda dumb.
I'm cautiously optimistic. Open world leaves more room for boring stretches, but HAL didn't disappoint with Forgotten Land, so I'm gonna trust them on this one.
Not the game I expected to get this kind of update, but pretty cool nonetheless. Pikmin 3 was already a gorgeous game, and I imagine it will only improve with this update.
@Peppy_Hare @startropics3 that essay is genuinely one of the most insulting things I have ever read in my life. It reeks of heavy nostalgia, and is built on a false premise that Zelda 1 was in any way different from what came after in terms of design philosophy (it's not. Not by a long shot). The guy who wrote it is a complete hack and flaming, prejudiced liberal, and the kind of game he wanted completely lacks any semblance of purpose or structure. Even Zelda 1 still had structure. If want that kind of game, then just stick to Dark Souls.
Zelda 1 is ok at best, Zelda 2 is one of the worst games I've ever played in my life, and BOTW and TOTK, which "supposedly" were a response to something like that essay, are proof that such a game is incredibly shallow and not worth playing more than once. Good day.
Ah, I see how it is. You wouldn't include motion aiming in Radiant Dawn almost 20 years ago, did touch screen controls twice with DS Archanea remakes and then never again outside of FEH, and NOW you're telling me the latest game is finally taking advantage of the funny console gimmick?
Intelligent Systems at their finest, ladies and gentlemen.
I could tell it was an IntSys game from the start. The style fells reminiscent of their later stuff, like Paper Mario 64 and the GBA Fire Emblems. It's charming and fun, but nothing that'll blow your socks off. It might blow your eyes out, though, with visual effects like those.
@-wc- I think part of the problem is how often Metroid shifts dev teams. Gunpei Yokoi died after Super Metroid, Nintendo R&D1 was disbanded after Zero Mission, and outside of Retro Studios, we've seen Metroid games done by Team Ninja, Next Level Games, (almost) Bandai Namco, and, most recently, MercurySteam. I wish they would stick to a single dev team from here on out, even if it is Mercury (Samus Returns and Dread are good, and I will die on that hill).
With that said, Zero Mission is my favorite, so I will now proceed to bolt my door before I start getting death threats. Bye 😁.
I like how the theme actually shows other games besides Fortune's Weave, like the Archanea games and Three Houses. Imagine if a theme stuck to the same two games instead of showing legacy content (COUGH ZELDA COUGH).
I heard about that, actually. It's why the Oracle games have a lot of direct references to Zelda 1, which actually seems to be a rarity in this franchise.
@BAN I think you missed the entire point of Raiders. It's not meant to be like the others in terms of style and visuals. The music and locations are the way they are because it's supposed to involve a sense of eeriness and mystery in regards to the Salmonids. In addition, this game is obviously a spinoff. Don't expect Splatoon 4 to be like this, especially after Team Past win the Grand Festival.
The most notable frame dips I've experienced thus far were at the one farm with the Armu everyone fattens up for New Game Plus. I guess the Armu's glory was too much for the framerate to handle.
@SoIDecidedTo what are you talking about? Walleye Warehouse and Triple Splashdown are garbage. Walleye is generally considered one of the worst stages in both S1 and S2, and Triple Splashdown can be easily shot down if you know what you're doing.
@OorWullie Urchin Underpass and Flounder Heights did come back in 3. S3 Flounder was heavily criticized for making some walls uninkable and making the map harder to traverse overall, but Urchin Underpass is the exact same as its S1 counterpart.
We're likely never getting another stage like Saltspray, though.
@Dalamar Eshmel seems to be playing a similar role as Sothis in this game. I haven't seen them in any gameplay footage, and all the focus has been on the four main characters. Based on that, I'm assuming Eshmel will be similar to Mark from Blazing Blade, which is probably the best possible outcome.
Wow, there are a lot of things I don't agree with here.
I don't think the ports should count at all, and remasters also being here is a bit dubious.
Super Mario All-Stars can burn in the depths of Tartarus for all I care. Arguably, one of the ugliest SNES games, and it somehow manages to control worse than the originals it's based on despite releasing just two years after Super Mario World.
Zero Mission should be at the top without exception. The only other remake that did as much for the original game as Zero Mission did was Shadows of Valentia.
Finally, if you're going to put Mother 3 on the "Best GBA Games" list, than you might as well put New Mystery of the Emblem on this list as well (I'd put it somewhere around the middle, but probably closer to the bottom half).
There are so many other things I want to say about this list (mostly negative), but that would take up too much of my time. All I'll say is that, as someone who has played most of these, this list is absolutely not an accurate reflection of how these games are as remakes.
@iLikeUrAttitude THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING. I've seen people say they won't touch RPGs with QTEs because they want to battle on strength and preparation alone, while others lambast turn-based combat for being slow and tedious. I personally like both enough, but it's impossible to please everyone.
@VinzClortho1981 last I checked, you actually can do that in Mario Luigi. It allows you to attack before they can land their hit if you time it right.
At any rate, though, I don't want E33 to become the standard for RPGs in general. Some RPG franchises don't work with QTEs, because that's not in their nature. Others, like Xenoblade, rely on constant movement and real-time action. If every future RPG were the same, that would be incredibly boring. Inserts Syndrome quote here
Comments 1,514
Re: Nintendo Remains Tight-Lipped About Animal Crossing: New Horizons' Future
@ioev New Leaf's Welcome amiibo update was not focused on decorating at all. It may have added new decorations, but those were far from the appeal of the update. New Leaf had no reason to focus on decorating when Happy Home Designer existed. Tbh, so were the amiibo features, which either didn't actually require amiibo or just amounted to more villagers and decorations. That update actually added and/or fixed several key features in New Leaf and overall made it better. It's arguably one of the best updates they ever made to a Nintendo game.
New Horizons sucks, though. I'll give you that. That game is irredeemable.
Re: Best Fire Emblem Games Of All Time
My ranking thus far:
1. Shadows of Valentia
2. Radiant Dawn
3. Engage (in progress)
4. Path of Radiance
5. Shadow Dragon (DS)
6. Sacred Stones
7. Awakening
8. Three Houses
9. Shadow Dragon (FC)
10. Blazing Blade
11. Fates (Conquest)
I've decided to keep Heroes off of this list, since that seems to be its own thing nowadays.
I don't think any of the games I've played thus far are anything lower than a 6/10. Engage would be higher if the story and characters were better (except Yunaka and Veyle. Those two are fine). I'm probably one of the few that genuinely likes FE11, but I'll die on that hill. Fortune's Weave would've been here if my copy got here sooner, but I expect it to be in the upper half of my list.
Re: Best Fire Emblem Games Of All Time
@Zaruboggan I agree that Radiant Dawn is too low and Fates shouldn't even register on a list like this, but Engage arguably has some of the best gameplay in the series, story aside. Even without the Emblems, the overall flow and use of chain attacks just feels really good to me. Again, it has nothing to do with the story or characters. I just want to make that clear.
Re: Best Castlevania Games, Ranked - Switch & Nintendo Consoles
Just came by to say that Haunted Castle Revisited should definitely be on this list. Yes, it's exclusive to the Dominus Collection, but it's still a remake of a game that desperately needed it, with excellent rearrangements to boot.
Re: Poll: What Review Score Would You Give Fire Emblem: Fortune's Weave?
@Anon505 I find that to be nearly impossible. Rarely is a videogame, let alone a Nintendo game, so abysmally awful on all fronts that it has zero redeeming qualities. If you think this game is genuinely worse than Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels, I can't take your opinion seriously.
Re: Poll: What Review Score Would You Give Fire Emblem: Fortune's Weave?
@Hylian-Likely tbh, recruiting in Fire Emblem in general was always sketchy. You either reset entire maps just because you missed saving a green unit by one turn, or you have to fulfill some obscene requirements to get the unit, sometimes without warning beforehand. It's why I almost never play these games without a guide.
Also, I don't care about map design. I endured Radiant Dawn and Shadows of Valentia, so I earned my right to not care.
Re: Poll: What Review Score Would You Give Fire Emblem: Fortune's Weave?
@Jeronan @SuperPaulio the dungeon feature is carried over from Fire Emblem Gaiden, the second game in the series, and its remake, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. It was controversial in those games as well, but the difference was that you couldn't skip the dungeons in those games. I personally thought they were fine and even fun at times, but I could see why others wouldn't really like them all that much. I also won't give the games flack for it since Gaiden was very experimental and Echoes was a very faithful remake.
Re: Countdown: Zelda: Ocarina Of Time Dungeon Crawl #1 - A Tree-mendous Introduction
Arguably the best introduction they could've given to 3D Zelda. Even though I played Skyward first, this first dungeon is simple enough to figure out without a guide, yet interesting enough to sell you on the hook of the game. The atmosphere definitely helps.
It's a shame the next two dungeons are incredibly mediocre.
Re: Think Fire Emblem: Fortune's Weave's Hero Roster Is Big? It Was Almost Even Bigger
@KritterXD I see someone never played Sacred Stones.
Re: Think Fire Emblem: Fortune's Weave's Hero Roster Is Big? It Was Almost Even Bigger
@MeloMan pretty sure Radiant Dawn is about 40 hours in a single playthrough. Granted, the Tellius games were supposed to be a trilogy, and Radiant Dawn is likely two games crammed into one, but my point still stands.
I do agree somewhat, though. Playing the same game three to four different times in quick succession just to unlock or see everything is kinda dumb.
Re: Think Fire Emblem: Fortune's Weave's Hero Roster Is Big? It Was Almost Even Bigger
Yeah, they definitely dodged a bullet on that one. Congrats for actually making a smart decision this time, IntSys.
Re: Rayman Legends Retold Has Been Delayed
starts to get a serious sense of deja vu
No, seriously. I'm pretty sure the delay of the original Rayman Legends was the beginning of the end for third-party support on Wii U.
Re: PSA: You Can Play Star Fox Adventures In Widescreen Mode On Switch 2
Ok, so NOW the GameCube app has all first-party widescreen games.
(Geist who?)
Re: Mario Kart World Has Been Updated To Version 1.8.0, Here Are The Full Patch Notes
After 34 years, Vanilla Lake 1 is finally tolerable.
I said tolerable, not fun.
Re: New Nintendo Switch Sports Resort Trailer Showcases Some Wuhu Island Exploration
Definitely more compelling than the June trailer. I'm sure it'll be a solid time.
Re: Hyrule Warriors: Age Of Calamity Is Getting Definitive Edition On Switch 2 Next February
Not surprised, considering this game arguably the worst Switch 1 game from Nintendo in terms of performance.
Re: Star Fox Fans Are Eating Good, With An NSO Drop And A Switch 2 Update Inbound
"My senses tell me Fox's temperature is rising."
Re: 'Kirby And The World Beyond' Goes Big On Switch 2 Next Spring
I'm cautiously optimistic. Open world leaves more room for boring stretches, but HAL didn't disappoint with Forgotten Land, so I'm gonna trust them on this one.
Re: Pikmin 4 Finally Gets The 'Switch 2 Edition' It Deserves This November
So. . .do enemies respawn now?
Re: Zelda: Ocarina Of Time Remake Price Seemingly Revealed
Wow, uh. . .I actually thought it would be more than that. Nice.
Re: Video: Here's What Nintendo's Revised Switch 2 Console Looks Like
pretends to be in complete and utter shock
Re: Review: Castlevania (3DS eShop / NES)
@Geonjaha those videos come off as nitpicky and preferential than actually critiquing the games. He even still said CV4 was good.
Also, by this point, most people know CV2 is one of the worst in the series, if not the worst.
Re: Pikmin 3 Deluxe Updated To Version 1.2.0, Here Are The Full Patch Notes
Not the game I expected to get this kind of update, but pretty cool nonetheless. Pikmin 3 was already a gorgeous game, and I imagine it will only improve with this update.
Re: Konami Press Start Showcase Announced, Expect News, Updates And "Exclusive Footage"
If it doesn't involve a rerelease of Rondo of Blood or Symphony of the Night, I don't care.
Not that I don't care about Belmont's Curse, but I'd rather wait until release to see what's up.
Re: Poll: Box Art Brawl: Mega Man Zero 2 (GBA)
I decided to give props to the American one for acknowledging Mega Man's 15th anniversary.
Re: Mega Man: Dual Override Looks Immense In New Gameplay Trailer
Clearly, I need to start playing these games. Is it a bad idea to nab the Switch versions of Legacy Collection Vol. 1 and 2, as well as MM11?
Re: Nintendo Wipes Out Hundreds Of Switch Emulator Repositories
I don't care what the big, spooky corporation is doing with their stuff. Wrong is wrong, period.
Re: Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? (15th August)
I will have the unfortunate FATE of playing Fire Emblem FATES Conquest in preparation for Fortune's Weave.
I'm not quite annoyed with the plot yet, though.
Re: Review: Super Mario Sunshine (GameCube) - Not What We Expected, But It Still Shines
I don't know who the guy with the Joshua Fire Emblem pic is, but his opinions are pretty based.
Also, I've said it before, but I don't really care for this game all too much.
Re: Aonuma: Wii U Zelda Is All About "Rethinking Series Conventions"
@Peppy_Hare @startropics3 that essay is genuinely one of the most insulting things I have ever read in my life. It reeks of heavy nostalgia, and is built on a false premise that Zelda 1 was in any way different from what came after in terms of design philosophy (it's not. Not by a long shot). The guy who wrote it is a complete hack and flaming, prejudiced liberal, and the kind of game he wanted completely lacks any semblance of purpose or structure. Even Zelda 1 still had structure. If want that kind of game, then just stick to Dark Souls.
Zelda 1 is ok at best, Zelda 2 is one of the worst games I've ever played in my life, and BOTW and TOTK, which "supposedly" were a response to something like that essay, are proof that such a game is incredibly shallow and not worth playing more than once. Good day.
Re: Fire Emblem: Fortune's Weave Will Allow You To Strategise With Mouse Controls
Ah, I see how it is. You wouldn't include motion aiming in Radiant Dawn almost 20 years ago, did touch screen controls twice with DS Archanea remakes and then never again outside of FEH, and NOW you're telling me the latest game is finally taking advantage of the funny console gimmick?
Intelligent Systems at their finest, ladies and gentlemen.
Re: Mini Review: Dragon Hopper (Virtual Boy) - A Zelda-Like With Height, Heart, And A Spring In Its Step
I could tell it was an IntSys game from the start. The style fells reminiscent of their later stuff, like Paper Mario 64 and the GBA Fire Emblems. It's charming and fun, but nothing that'll blow your socks off. It might blow your eyes out, though, with visual effects like those.
Re: Sam Neill Will Reportedly Appear Posthumously In The Legend Of Zelda
He's definitely the old man who gives Link his first sword.
It would probably be a perfect final casting, since he would effectively be passing the torch.
Re: Feature: Six Things I'd Like To See in 'Metroid 6'
@-wc- I think part of the problem is how often Metroid shifts dev teams. Gunpei Yokoi died after Super Metroid, Nintendo R&D1 was disbanded after Zero Mission, and outside of Retro Studios, we've seen Metroid games done by Team Ninja, Next Level Games, (almost) Bandai Namco, and, most recently, MercurySteam. I wish they would stick to a single dev team from here on out, even if it is Mercury (Samus Returns and Dread are good, and I will die on that hill).
With that said, Zero Mission is my favorite, so I will now proceed to bolt my door before I start getting death threats. Bye 😁.
Re: Every Splatoon Game, Ranked
@BAN I was almost 10 when Splatoon 1 came out, but I only had a Wii and 3DS at the time. Looking back, I don't regret not owning a Wii U.
Re: Nintendo Music Adds Fire Emblem: Fortune's Weave As A Special Release
I like how the theme actually shows other games besides Fortune's Weave, like the Archanea games and Three Houses. Imagine if a theme stuck to the same two games instead of showing legacy content (COUGH ZELDA COUGH).
Re: "I Threatened Him" - Capcom Producer's Radical Approach To Negotiating With Miyamoto
I heard about that, actually. It's why the Oracle games have a lot of direct references to Zelda 1, which actually seems to be a rarity in this franchise.
Re: Every Splatoon Game, Ranked
@BAN I think you missed the entire point of Raiders. It's not meant to be like the others in terms of style and visuals. The music and locations are the way they are because it's supposed to involve a sense of eeriness and mystery in regards to the Salmonids. In addition, this game is obviously a spinoff. Don't expect Splatoon 4 to be like this, especially after Team Past win the Grand Festival.
Re: Opinion: When It Comes To Metroid's Future, Familiar Is Better
Kirby has entered the chat
Sometimes, the best thing a franchise can do is to not change.
Re: Video: Digital Foundry Delivers Its Tech Review For Xenoblade Chronicles 2 On Switch 2
The most notable frame dips I've experienced thus far were at the one farm with the Armu everyone fattens up for New Game Plus. I guess the Armu's glory was too much for the framerate to handle.
Re: Every Splatoon Game, Ranked
@SoIDecidedTo what are you talking about? Walleye Warehouse and Triple Splashdown are garbage. Walleye is generally considered one of the worst stages in both S1 and S2, and Triple Splashdown can be easily shot down if you know what you're doing.
Re: Every Splatoon Game, Ranked
@OorWullie Urchin Underpass and Flounder Heights did come back in 3. S3 Flounder was heavily criticized for making some walls uninkable and making the map harder to traverse overall, but Urchin Underpass is the exact same as its S1 counterpart.
We're likely never getting another stage like Saltspray, though.
Re: Every Splatoon Game, Ranked
Oh no.
This franchise is old enough to have a ranking of every game.
Insert GIF of Matt Damon getting old
Re: Fire Emblem: Fortune's Weave Characters - Every Hero Revealed So Far
@Marchop we found our Potential Man (or Woman, I guess).
Re: Fire Emblem: Fortune's Weave Characters - Every Hero Revealed So Far
@Dalamar Eshmel seems to be playing a similar role as Sothis in this game. I haven't seen them in any gameplay footage, and all the focus has been on the four main characters. Based on that, I'm assuming Eshmel will be similar to Mark from Blazing Blade, which is probably the best possible outcome.
Re: Nintendo Expands Switch 2's GameCube Library With Another Game In August
Two problems with that:
1. I already own Mario 3D All-Stars.
2. Sunshine is my least favorite 3D Mario.
Still good for those who were looking forward to this. I just it was there from launch.
Re: Best Nintendo Remakes & Remasters Of All Time, Ranked
Wow, there are a lot of things I don't agree with here.
I don't think the ports should count at all, and remasters also being here is a bit dubious.
Super Mario All-Stars can burn in the depths of Tartarus for all I care. Arguably, one of the ugliest SNES games, and it somehow manages to control worse than the originals it's based on despite releasing just two years after Super Mario World.
Zero Mission should be at the top without exception. The only other remake that did as much for the original game as Zero Mission did was Shadows of Valentia.
Finally, if you're going to put Mother 3 on the "Best GBA Games" list, than you might as well put New Mystery of the Emblem on this list as well (I'd put it somewhere around the middle, but probably closer to the bottom half).
There are so many other things I want to say about this list (mostly negative), but that would take up too much of my time. All I'll say is that, as someone who has played most of these, this list is absolutely not an accurate reflection of how these games are as remakes.
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Nintendo Switch 2 Edition Estimated File Size Revealed
@iLikeUrAttitude THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING. I've seen people say they won't touch RPGs with QTEs because they want to battle on strength and preparation alone, while others lambast turn-based combat for being slow and tedious. I personally like both enough, but it's impossible to please everyone.
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Nintendo Switch 2 Edition Estimated File Size Revealed
@VinzClortho1981 last I checked, you actually can do that in Mario Luigi. It allows you to attack before they can land their hit if you time it right.
At any rate, though, I don't want E33 to become the standard for RPGs in general. Some RPG franchises don't work with QTEs, because that's not in their nature. Others, like Xenoblade, rely on constant movement and real-time action. If every future RPG were the same, that would be incredibly boring. Inserts Syndrome quote here
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Nintendo Switch 2 Edition Estimated File Size Revealed
@VinzClortho1981 you know E33 basically borrows its combat from the Mario and Luigi games, right?