Calling out Nintendo for a defect that has existed in controllers since sticks were invented just seems petty to me. I'm not defending this defect at all, but you're really gonna tell me it took lawyers THIS long to call out potentiometers for not aging well? Give me a break.
It really feels like Skylanders put a hold on the Spyro franchise for almost a decade, since the first one was originally supposed to be a Spyro game. Now that Skylanders is so far removed from its period of relevancy (the last one was in 2017), Activision finally remembered that Spyro exists.
@shiningpikablu252 I always found it bizarre how Bamco doesn't have Tekken collections like what Capcom and SNK do for their fighting game franchises. I mean, for Pete's sake, have you seen how much representation Tekken got in Smash with one DLC pack? Have you also seen what happens if you look up Tekken on the Nintendo eShop? It perplexes me to no end, and Bamco is missing out on serious money by not tapping into one of the most passionate fandoms in gaming despite the fact that they have no problem pumping out collections and rereleases of their other arcade franchises like Pacman.
It's fine. A few very minor scratches on the screen protector, but that means the actual screen is safe. My left Joy Con 2 got some obscene unfixable drift, but I think that was because the stick actually broke due to abuse, and since that can happen to any controller ever made, I'm not holding it against Nintendo.
Everything else is as it was when I first got the system.
@Grackler I think you bring up a good point. It's funny how DK64 actually looks tame in comparison to most modern releases, and it's yet another example of "what was once hated becomes the norm". Even then, at least DK64 requires you to use your brain to collect the items.
I'm not as opposed to giving Ubisoft money as other are (I bought both Mario + Rabbids games plus DLC when they were on sale in the eShop, and I don't regret it one bit), but I really question why they thought this game needed to be remade. I haven't played it yet, but I can't imagine there was much to actually improve. It looked perfectly playable.
All in all, though, I can't really be too upset about this, since it does look nice, even if RL:DE still exists on modern platforms.
What WOULD make me really upset is if Nintendo pulled this same stunt with Ocarina of Time, a game that ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT NEED THIS.
I still don't like the complete lack of split-screen. I'm more than thankful that Nintendo brought back Download Play via Gameshare, but not having split-screen is only gonna hurt multiplayer sessions in the long run.
Felt that way about Majora's Mask. In fact, I still reason some of that feeling. However, now that I'm going through it again, it's not as daunting as it once was, and I think I'm willing to stick with it to completion.
@Interneto I rarely post comments that don't reflect my feelings. I'd sit through 10 playthroughs of Wooly World before touching anything with "Yoshi" and "Island" in its title again. Baby Mario is only the beginning of the issues I have with those games.
I'm one of those idiots that never really enjoyed the original Yoshi's Island that much, but I will admit that it at least knew what it wanted to be from the get-go.
What it wanted to be wasn't very good, but at least there was an effort.
Not now. Wooly World is the standard I hold all Yoshi games to, and this doesn't look like it will be as good. I honestly don't have anything until the new Star Fox, so I think I'll just play my backlog and maybe buy a used copy of Rhythm Heaven DS.
This was the first videogame I ever played back in 2010. I know it has its issues, but it's still one of the few Nintendo games that I will never get tired of playing over and over again. It helped shape my taste in gaming, and it will always have a special place in my library.
This is actually something Zero did better. In that game, scanning Fox would give the SNES Arwing, which had better bombs, and Falco gave you the Black Arwing, which dealt twice the damage and received twice the damage. Zero may have been trash, but that was definitely a better use of amiibo than this.
However, this is still infinitely better than Star Fox Guard just letting you use the aforementioned figures to just wipe the map clean.
@UpsideDownRowlet "you know, if I had a nicked for every time Star Fox SNES was remade, I'd have four nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened four times, right?"
One of my biggest complaints with the original SF64 was the soundfont. The SNES game used the sound chip in a bold and fresh way, Assault had a live orchestra, and Zero had. . .whatever Hiroshi Yamaguchi uses. Even the 3DS remake sounded better imo.
Safe to way that, after listening to this new selection, this is once again a massive improvement.
I just came back from the Star Fox 64 3D review on this site and found out that the biggest complaints were that it had no new content and didn't have online.
As someone who has been with the franchise for over 15 years at this point, I've always only been here to the gameplay. Yes, Rosalina is one of my favorite characters in the series, and the storybook in Galaxy 1 was nice, but let's be honest here: if the storybook didn't exist, it wouldn't impact Galaxy's quality as a game. Mario is not a lore-centric franchise on the same level as Kirby or Fire Emblem, even in the RPGs, and as such I don't think this will have any real impact on the games.
With that said, my personal theory that Rosalina is Bowser's ex and BJ's mom was probably better than what we got, especially since what we got doesn't entirely rule my personal theory out.
@Isaix the original Yoshi's Island did have good controls, but I didn't like its level design all that much. It's not that it was hard; it's just that it felt like enemy spam half the time. Island DS started off better with its levels but took a massive dip in quality halfway through World 3. And New Island. . .the less said, the better. Add that to the fact that Baby Mario is the worst mechanic in the Island games by far (coupled with his annoying crying), and I honestly think I'd rather replay Wooly World before any of the others.
I feel like it's hard to put a review score on these kinds of games, considering what you get out of Tomodachi Life is what you put into it. Fans of the 3DS game aren't gonna care as long as the new one allows them the same options, plus some.
I personally feel like this game's soundtrack is overrated by the community. It's kinda catchy and sets the mood well enough, but there's nothing as memorable as Wild World/City Folk 2 am or New Leaf 7 pm.
The title theme still slaps, though. Also, I like Kapp'n's singing (yes, I used the GBA link cable).
If I actually had this game, this would just be another reminder of how far the franchise has fallen from its original design in the span of one entry (at least Happy Home Designer knew it was a spinoff).
Anyway, happy 25th to AC GCN. It was actually the first one I added to my (recent) AC collection, and while I'm not as big on it as others are, I can certainly appreciate its charm and cozy feeling. That title screen music will always be the theme of the franchise to me.
@AlienX I'll be honest, I had a better time playing Smash normally than engaging in any "story mode" (the franchise isn't built for that, imo), and I'll take actual artwork over crusty 3D models as collectibles any day. I only wish they still had descriptions, but tbf, Google exists.
I also think the argument of "old fighter bad, new fighter good" is kind of misleading, since my personal mains jump evenly between classics (Luigi, Marth, Toon Link) and new guys (Inkling, Terry, Min Min). Ultimate also had by far the best balanced roster in the series, since even Ganondorf is capable of winning fights.
Overall, I didn't get how your issues led to Ultimate being mid, especially as someone who finds Melee and Brawl vastly overrated (though still good).
Comments 1,514
Re: Nintendo Fined €35 Million Over Widespread Joy-Con Defects
Calling out Nintendo for a defect that has existed in controllers since sticks were invented just seems petty to me. I'm not defending this defect at all, but you're really gonna tell me it took lawyers THIS long to call out potentiometers for not aging well? Give me a break.
Re: Spyro The Dragon Reignites With A Brand New Entry On Switch 2
It really feels like Skylanders put a hold on the Spyro franchise for almost a decade, since the first one was originally supposed to be a Spyro game. Now that Skylanders is so far removed from its period of relevancy (the last one was in 2017), Activision finally remembered that Spyro exists.
Re: Crazy Taxi: World Tour Officially Announced For Switch 2, Launching 2027
@BionicDodo "I hate Super Monkey Ball"
Re: Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? (6th June)
I have been waiting too long for DK64, and I'm not gonna let tedium get in my way.
Re: Street Fighter 6 Year 4 Revealed, Tifa From Final Fantasy Confirmed
@shiningpikablu252 I always found it bizarre how Bamco doesn't have Tekken collections like what Capcom and SNK do for their fighting game franchises. I mean, for Pete's sake, have you seen how much representation Tekken got in Smash with one DLC pack? Have you also seen what happens if you look up Tekken on the Nintendo eShop? It perplexes me to no end, and Bamco is missing out on serious money by not tapping into one of the most passionate fandoms in gaming despite the fact that they have no problem pumping out collections and rereleases of their other arcade franchises like Pacman.
Re: We've Finally Got A Look At Alien: Isolation 2, And It's Confirmed For Switch 2
Smh, it's not Colonial Marines. WE WERE PROMISED COLONIAL MARINES, SPARK IT.
Seriously, though, I have heard good things about Isolation, so I wish the best to the devs on this one.
Re: Talking Point: One Year On, How Pristine Is Your Switch 2?
It's fine. A few very minor scratches on the screen protector, but that means the actual screen is safe. My left Joy Con 2 got some obscene unfixable drift, but I think that was because the stick actually broke due to abuse, and since that can happen to any controller ever made, I'm not holding it against Nintendo.
Everything else is as it was when I first got the system.
Re: Review: Donkey Kong 64 - Kicks Some Serious Tail, But Goes Too Far
@Grackler I think you bring up a good point. It's funny how DK64 actually looks tame in comparison to most modern releases, and it's yet another example of "what was once hated becomes the norm". Even then, at least DK64 requires you to use your brain to collect the items.
Re: Rayman Origins: Enhanced Edition Officially Announced For Switch 2
Am I crazy, or was Origins already available in some way on Switch?
Or was it just Legends?
Re: 'Rayman Legends Retold' Brings The Beloved Platformer Back To Switch 2 This Year
I'm not as opposed to giving Ubisoft money as other are (I bought both Mario + Rabbids games plus DLC when they were on sale in the eShop, and I don't regret it one bit), but I really question why they thought this game needed to be remade. I haven't played it yet, but I can't imagine there was much to actually improve. It looked perfectly playable.
All in all, though, I can't really be too upset about this, since it does look nice, even if RL:DE still exists on modern platforms.
What WOULD make me really upset is if Nintendo pulled this same stunt with Ocarina of Time, a game that ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT NEED THIS.
Re: 'Super Yooka-Laylee Kart Playtest' Listing Appears On SteamDB After Dev Teases
😳
. . .I think I need to play Yooka-Laylee.
Re: Get Another Look At Star Fox On Switch 2 In New Overview Trailer
I still don't like the complete lack of split-screen. I'm more than thankful that Nintendo brought back Download Play via Gameshare, but not having split-screen is only gonna hurt multiplayer sessions in the long run.
Re: Poll: So, Will You Be Getting Final Fantasy VII Rebirth For Switch 2?
Removed
Re: Opinion: It Took Me Nearly 20 Years To Fall Into Mario Galaxy's Orbit
Felt that way about Majora's Mask. In fact, I still reason some of that feeling. However, now that I'm going through it again, it's not as daunting as it once was, and I think I'm willing to stick with it to completion.
Re: Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 4 Revealed For Switch 2
And the crowd goes mild.
Re: GameMill's Snoopy Game Has Been Hit With A Copyright Lawsuit
@koopababble average politician resume
Re: Opinion: Yoshi And The Mysterious Book Completely Wastes Its Best Mechanic
@Interneto I rarely post comments that don't reflect my feelings. I'd sit through 10 playthroughs of Wooly World before touching anything with "Yoshi" and "Island" in its title again. Baby Mario is only the beginning of the issues I have with those games.
Re: Opinion: Yoshi And The Mysterious Book Completely Wastes Its Best Mechanic
I'm one of those idiots that never really enjoyed the original Yoshi's Island that much, but I will admit that it at least knew what it wanted to be from the get-go.
What it wanted to be wasn't very good, but at least there was an effort.
Re: "The Wii U Was On Life Support" - Reggie Restates The NES & SNES Classic's True Purpose
@kal_el_07241 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: Star Fox On Switch 2 Is Getting A Day One Update
So stuff you wouldn't even use if you didn't have internet anyway? Neat.
Still wish this game had split-screen, though.
Re: Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? (23rd May)
No excuses this time. I'm finally getting back to Majora, and I won't quit until I finish.
Re: Nintendo Music Adds Another Zelda Soundtrack, Here's Every Song Included
Basically, A Link to the Past soundtrack, but better (just like the game itself), plus Lorule Castle for good measure.
Even so, WHERE IS SPIRIT TRACKS?!?!
Re: Surprise! Nintendo Has Announced A New Mobile Game
I saw someone say this was basically WarioWare x Face Raiders. I couldn't think of a better comparison.
Re: Poll: So, Will You Be Getting Yoshi And The Mysterious Book For Switch 2?
Not now. Wooly World is the standard I hold all Yoshi games to, and this doesn't look like it will be as good. I honestly don't have anything until the new Star Fox, so I think I'll just play my backlog and maybe buy a used copy of Rhythm Heaven DS.
Re: Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? (16th May)
@Raccoonius it's pretty good. Be prepared for some motion controls, though.
Re: Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? (16th May)
Finishing Wario Land Shake It, then it's back to Majora 3D full-time for the first time in over a year for me.
Re: Anniversary: Super Mario First Went 'New' 20 Years Ago On The DS
This was the first videogame I ever played back in 2010. I know it has its issues, but it's still one of the few Nintendo games that I will never get tired of playing over and over again. It helped shape my taste in gaming, and it will always have a special place in my library.
Re: Star Fox - Meet The Returning Cast In This Modernised Adventure For Switch 2
Wolf and Andross definitely benefitted the most from this artstyle. Everyone else is gonna take time to get used to.
Except Falco. That ain't Falco.
Re: Star Fox Switch 2 amiibo Compatibility Confirmed, Here's What You Can Unlock
This is actually something Zero did better. In that game, scanning Fox would give the SNES Arwing, which had better bombs, and Falco gave you the Black Arwing, which dealt twice the damage and received twice the damage. Zero may have been trash, but that was definitely a better use of amiibo than this.
However, this is still infinitely better than Star Fox Guard just letting you use the aforementioned figures to just wipe the map clean.
Re: Video: Star Fox Gives James McCloud The Spotlight In His Own Prologue
@UpsideDownRowlet "you know, if I had a nicked for every time Star Fox SNES was remade, I'd have four nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened four times, right?"
Re: Former Star Fox Voice Actor Says It's Not His Voice In The Switch 2 Game
THAT WAS CLAUDE?!?! NOOOOOOOOO
In all seriousness, I understand the change, and I wish the best to the new VA.
Re: Nintendo Music "Special Release" Adds Tracks From Star Fox's Switch 2 Game
One of my biggest complaints with the original SF64 was the soundfont. The SNES game used the sound chip in a bold and fresh way, Assault had a live orchestra, and Zero had. . .whatever Hiroshi Yamaguchi uses. Even the 3DS remake sounded better imo.
Safe to way that, after listening to this new selection, this is once again a massive improvement.
Re: Nintendo Reveals Star Fox GameChat Character Avatars And AR Filters
Star Fox VTubers.
I just came back from the Star Fox 64 3D review on this site and found out that the biggest complaints were that it had no new content and didn't have online.
Oh, how the monkey's paw curls.
Re: So, Will You Be Getting Star Fox For Switch 2?
. . .yeah, I'll support it. It is just 64 again realistically, and no split screen is a bummer, but. . .it's honestly what the franchise needed.
At the very least, it's way better than Zero ever was.
Re: Reggie Fils-Aimé Recalls The Phone Call That Broke Nintendo And Amazon's Relationship
That was the right call. Amazon has sucked for years now, and I refuse to support them.
Re: Talking Point: Is Legend Of Zelda's Link Left Or Right-Handed? Let's Look At The Evidence
INB4 the "Skyward ruined the franchise's reputation" comments.
Also, that fifth option gives off a "Erm, actually 🤓" sort of vibe.
Re: Poll: So, Will You Be Playing Final Fantasy XIV Online On Switch 2?
absolutely not. I've made the decision to not play anything past FF10.
Re: It Sounds Like Peach's Mario Galaxy Movie Backstory Will Be Canon In Future Games
As someone who has been with the franchise for over 15 years at this point, I've always only been here to the gameplay. Yes, Rosalina is one of my favorite characters in the series, and the storybook in Galaxy 1 was nice, but let's be honest here: if the storybook didn't exist, it wouldn't impact Galaxy's quality as a game. Mario is not a lore-centric franchise on the same level as Kirby or Fire Emblem, even in the RPGs, and as such I don't think this will have any real impact on the games.
With that said, my personal theory that Rosalina is Bowser's ex and BJ's mom was probably better than what we got, especially since what we got doesn't entirely rule my personal theory out.
Re: Preview: 'Yoshi And The Mysterious Book' Is More Than Just A Pretty Face
@Isaix the original Yoshi's Island did have good controls, but I didn't like its level design all that much. It's not that it was hard; it's just that it felt like enemy spam half the time. Island DS started off better with its levels but took a massive dip in quality halfway through World 3. And New Island. . .the less said, the better. Add that to the fact that Baby Mario is the worst mechanic in the Island games by far (coupled with his annoying crying), and I honestly think I'd rather replay Wooly World before any of the others.
Re: Talking Point: What Would You Want From A New Star Fox Game?
Fox and Krystal getting back together.
I literally do not care about anything else they do with the game as long as it's good.
Re: Review: Tomodachi Life: Living The Dream (Switch) - BREAKING NEWS: Mii Life Is Still Bizarre, Hilarious, And A Bit Samey
I feel like it's hard to put a review score on these kinds of games, considering what you get out of Tomodachi Life is what you put into it. Fans of the 3DS game aren't gonna care as long as the new one allows them the same options, plus some.
Re: Jock Blaney, The Voice Of Star Fox 64's Wolf & Bill Grey, Has Died
The other Wolf VAs were good. . .
But he was better.
🫡
Re: Best Animal Crossing Games Of All Time
@Dark_Isatari literally every other AC has better villager interactions.
Re: Animal Crossing's GameCube Soundtrack Has Been Added To Nintendo Music
I personally feel like this game's soundtrack is overrated by the community. It's kinda catchy and sets the mood well enough, but there's nothing as memorable as Wild World/City Folk 2 am or New Leaf 7 pm.
The title theme still slaps, though. Also, I like Kapp'n's singing (yes, I used the GBA link cable).
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons Has Been Updated To Version 3.0.2
If I actually had this game, this would just be another reminder of how far the franchise has fallen from its original design in the span of one entry (at least Happy Home Designer knew it was a spinoff).
Anyway, happy 25th to AC GCN. It was actually the first one I added to my (recent) AC collection, and while I'm not as big on it as others are, I can certainly appreciate its charm and cozy feeling. That title screen music will always be the theme of the franchise to me.
Re: Feature: A Look Back At Every Game Nintendo Life Scored 10/10 Over 20 Years
@AlienX ok, I'll admit that the complaint about Sonic is valid. I used to like him, but now I barely use him.
Also, I'm in a weird position where I like almost every first-party character that isn't Corrin, so there's that, too.
Re: Feature: A Look Back At Every Game Nintendo Life Scored 10/10 Over 20 Years
@AlienX I'll be honest, I had a better time playing Smash normally than engaging in any "story mode" (the franchise isn't built for that, imo), and I'll take actual artwork over crusty 3D models as collectibles any day. I only wish they still had descriptions, but tbf, Google exists.
I also think the argument of "old fighter bad, new fighter good" is kind of misleading, since my personal mains jump evenly between classics (Luigi, Marth, Toon Link) and new guys (Inkling, Terry, Min Min). Ultimate also had by far the best balanced roster in the series, since even Ganondorf is capable of winning fights.
Overall, I didn't get how your issues led to Ultimate being mid, especially as someone who finds Melee and Brawl vastly overrated (though still good).
Re: Feature: A Look Back At Every Game Nintendo Life Scored 10/10 Over 20 Years
@Shiiva I play casually as well, but I still take issues with some of Melee's mechanics. I still have fun with it, but it's not my personal go-to.
Marth is pretty fun, though (if that wasn't obvious).
Re: Feature: A Look Back At Every Game Nintendo Life Scored 10/10 Over 20 Years
@Tyranexx you're forgetting Super Mario Land 2 and New Super Mario Bros DS, unless you're only considering home consoles.
Re: Feature: A Look Back At Every Game Nintendo Life Scored 10/10 Over 20 Years
@Shiiva did we play the same game? Specifically as Bowser, Kirby, or Pichu? Melee is only balanced if you're playing as Fox or Marth.