I also want to mention that it's kinda bizarre that Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is on this list but not Elite Beat Agents. I know both are technically different games, but EBA is the same thing with English music covers. Why would it not get the same score?
@swoose my personal favorites were Radiant Dawn and Shadows of Valentia, though Sacred Stones had some good stuff in there. I think the only actually bad release we've gotten in the West (key word being "West") is Fates.
And yeah, no Paper Mario or Advance Wars on this list is bizarre. I haven't played AW, and I've only played the first Paper Mario (yeah, I'm behind), but I've heard too many good things about both (outside of Sticker Star and Reboot Camp).
More than anything, I feel as if this shows how poorly some of these reviews have aged. I know for a fact that Ogre Battle 64 and New Super Mario Bros Wii are not 10/10's by any metric, and that's just the first page.
EDIT: Kirby's Epic Yarn? Pokemon Sun and Moon? Animal Crossing New Horizons? Really?
@Krisi this was back when game reviewers were starting to lose their credibility (they blindly gave Skyward Sword a 10/10 the previous year, and I say that as someone who has SSHD as my second favorite Zelda game). This is on top of the game selling late in the Wii's lifespan and getting lost in a sea of motion-controlled minigame compilations.
Consider me pleasantly surprised. I just hope it doesn't end like Fever, which released at a horrible time and got blasted by reviews at the time, making it somehow more expensive on the used market than Radiant Dawn.
@NintendoWife I liked TFH. It honestly had the best multiplayer of the three (non-DS) games that tried it, despite its subpar singleplayer. I think it could still take in a decent audience.
Realistically, only the Oracle and DS games need remakes. The Oracle games would greatly benefit from LA 2019's enhancements, as well as less cryptic puzzles (I know the series is kinda like this, but those two took things way too far imo). As for the DS Zeldas. . .I think it's obvious. They need button/mouse controls and graphics closer to Wind Waker. Every other game is either fine as is, already has a remake. . .or is Adventure of Link, which will always belong in the trash.
@X68000 Pixar hasn't had a good movie since Luca, and they haven't had a truly great movie since Toy Story 3. This is coming from someone who watched almost everything they made before giving up after Turning Red.
@X68000 Pixar would've filled the movie with so much propaganda and made it completely unwatchable. The Pixar that made the Incredibles and Ratatouille is dead.
@N00BiSH @Vyacheslav333 ever hear of "so bad it's good" movies? The Bee Movie has one of the dumbest plots I've ever seen in anything, but no one who talk about the movie cares because of how off-the-walls bonkers the movie is. Is it so wrong to enjoy a movie for being fun and entertaining, regardless of what story is present?
1. Why am I not surprised Jerma made the realistic Mii? 2. Ah, yes, Pearl and Marina are "just good friends" (Marie and Agent 4 was always the better ship, imo). 3. That Lady Bow Mii looks HAWT 😍.
I'm not planning on playing Deltarune any time soon, but I came by just to say that I'm still looking out for Toy Story 5 updates after a certain Toby Fox tweet.
"Prompting the user to select a profile on the Switch home screen" reads like " we have finally decided to add multiple save files per profile. Are you happy?"
I just got Fire Emblem Three Houses last night, and it looked like actual poo in handheld. Then the update launched mere hours later and. . .man, did it make a difference.
If VB Wario Land wasn't so short, it would probably be my favorite Wario Land game. It only took me 2 hours to beat, but it was a blast the whole way through. I never thought I'd like it more than the first Wario Land.
@Banjo- Wario Land 1 had the best graphics and music? Did you even play Shake It (or The Shake Dimension) on Wii? That game clears anything that came before it in those categories (the gameplay is up for debate).
I never broke out of my Mario shell until I asked for the 2019 Link's Awakening remake for Christmas 2020. That game (which is still my 2nd favorite game of all time, btw) convinced me to not only try Zelda, but also Nintendo's other offerings.
As for the first game, it was alright. Maybe I'm just a filthy zoomer, but I definitely found more joy in almost every entry that came after.
Golf is by far the worst. No worth there at all.
I couldn't get into the mansion game. It just doesn't feel right.
3D Tetris and Teleroboxer were fine.
Pinball is pinball (plus, I actually liked the effects and the music, probably the best VB soundtrack).
Unsurprisingly, Wario is the best one. I might even like it more than the first Wario Land (which, by default, also means I like it WAY more than 2, 3, and MoD). Still not quite as good as 4 or Shake It, but it did help pave the way, so I'll give it a pass.
I've kept my Labo kits since I got them in 2020, since I didn't want get rid of a future piece of history. It did force me to take my old (non-OLED) Switch model out to use, but it works.
Another thing to add: if you got the cardboard VB headset, you can use that for VR games on Switch 2, such as the game that came with the original Labo VR headset, as well as Mario Odyssey, Captain Toad, BOTW, and Smash Ultimate, among a few third-party games.
@Slionr nowadays, I don't know a single person who feels this way. It's pretty much agreed on that the Tellius games have some of the best characters and music in the series, and a FAR better story than anything the GBA did.
Comments 1,514
Re: Feature: A Look Back At Every Game Nintendo Life Scored 10/10 Over 20 Years
I also want to mention that it's kinda bizarre that Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is on this list but not Elite Beat Agents. I know both are technically different games, but EBA is the same thing with English music covers. Why would it not get the same score?
Re: Feature: A Look Back At Every Game Nintendo Life Scored 10/10 Over 20 Years
@PtM haha funny joke (btw, Byleth deserved their spot. Corrin is the one that should be booted).
Re: Feature: A Look Back At Every Game Nintendo Life Scored 10/10 Over 20 Years
@swoose my personal favorites were Radiant Dawn and Shadows of Valentia, though Sacred Stones had some good stuff in there. I think the only actually bad release we've gotten in the West (key word being "West") is Fates.
And yeah, no Paper Mario or Advance Wars on this list is bizarre. I haven't played AW, and I've only played the first Paper Mario (yeah, I'm behind), but I've heard too many good things about both (outside of Sticker Star and Reboot Camp).
Re: Feature: A Look Back At Every Game Nintendo Life Scored 10/10 Over 20 Years
More than anything, I feel as if this shows how poorly some of these reviews have aged. I know for a fact that Ogre Battle 64 and New Super Mario Bros Wii are not 10/10's by any metric, and that's just the first page.
EDIT: Kirby's Epic Yarn? Pokemon Sun and Moon? Animal Crossing New Horizons? Really?
AND NOT A SINGLE FIRE EMBLEM GAME?
Re: Rhythm Heaven Groove's Price Is A Welcome Surprise
@Krisi this was back when game reviewers were starting to lose their credibility (they blindly gave Skyward Sword a 10/10 the previous year, and I say that as someone who has SSHD as my second favorite Zelda game). This is on top of the game selling late in the Wii's lifespan and getting lost in a sea of motion-controlled minigame compilations.
Re: Rhythm Heaven Groove's Price Is A Welcome Surprise
Consider me pleasantly surprised. I just hope it doesn't end like Fever, which released at a horrible time and got blasted by reviews at the time, making it somehow more expensive on the used market than Radiant Dawn.
Re: Talking Point: Which Zelda Game Would You Most Like To See Remade?
@NintendoWife I liked TFH. It honestly had the best multiplayer of the three (non-DS) games that tried it, despite its subpar singleplayer. I think it could still take in a decent audience.
Re: Talking Point: Which Zelda Game Would You Most Like To See Remade?
Realistically, only the Oracle and DS games need remakes. The Oracle games would greatly benefit from LA 2019's enhancements, as well as less cryptic puzzles (I know the series is kinda like this, but those two took things way too far imo). As for the DS Zeldas. . .I think it's obvious. They need button/mouse controls and graphics closer to Wind Waker. Every other game is either fine as is, already has a remake. . .or is Adventure of Link, which will always belong in the trash.
Re: ICYMI: Donkey Kong Bananza's Newest DLC Event Is Now Available
@zaneplay64 that's the redesign she's been using since Diddy Kong Racing DS.
Re: Round Up: The Reviews Are In For The Super Mario Galaxy Movie
@X68000 Pixar hasn't had a good movie since Luca, and they haven't had a truly great movie since Toy Story 3. This is coming from someone who watched almost everything they made before giving up after Turning Red.
Re: Round Up: The Reviews Are In For The Super Mario Galaxy Movie
@RainbowGazelle as someone that has played Galaxy, 3D World, and Bowser's Fury multiple times, I take that as a massive insult.
Re: Round Up: The Reviews Are In For The Super Mario Galaxy Movie
@X68000 Pixar would've filled the movie with so much propaganda and made it completely unwatchable. The Pixar that made the Incredibles and Ratatouille is dead.
Re: Round Up: The Reviews Are In For The Super Mario Galaxy Movie
@N00BiSH @Vyacheslav333 ever hear of "so bad it's good" movies? The Bee Movie has one of the dumbest plots I've ever seen in anything, but no one who talk about the movie cares because of how off-the-walls bonkers the movie is. Is it so wrong to enjoy a movie for being fun and entertaining, regardless of what story is present?
Re: Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 Has Been Delisted From Switch eShop
And nothing of value was lost (even if the game was relatively ok).
Re: Mario Kart World Has Been Updated To Version 1.6.0, Here Are The Full Patch Notes
@hol_up absolutely not. Every Mariokart has had its fair share of bugs. Nintendo is just taking advantage of update patches with this one.
Re: Feature: The Best (And Most Cursed) Tomodachi Life Miis We've Seen So Far
1. Why am I not surprised Jerma made the realistic Mii?
2. Ah, yes, Pearl and Marina are "just good friends" (Marie and Agent 4 was always the better ship, imo).
3. That Lady Bow Mii looks HAWT 😍.
Re: Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? (28th March)
Finishing the Toad Brigade training missions, then it's back to Cindered Shadows for me.
Re: Devil May Cry 5 Devil Hunter Edition Has Been Rated For Switch 2
So I guess. . .Capcom is motivated?
Re: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Has Received A Small Patch Today
@StewdaMegaManNerd I don't mind Talking Flower, but I was kinda hoping Captain Toad would get a solo amiibo. I'll take anything at this point, though.
Re: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Has Received A Small Patch Today
I'm just finally glad Captain Toad got an actual amiibo after almost 12 years. Sucks that he has to share with Talking Flower, but still. . .
Re: Minecraft Dungeons II Announced For Switch 1 & 2, Out This Year
The Arch-Illager will return in Avengers Doomsday.
Re: Hands On: Nintendo's My Mario Toy Series Is Cute, But Offers Mixed Value For Your Little Ones
I feel like the amiibo functionality is more for the parent than the child.
Re: 50 Best Game Boy Advance Games Of All Time
@-wc- I think maybe we should stop comparing every Castlevania to SOTN, especially when SOTN has its own critics. Castlevania is Castlevania.
Re: Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? (21st March)
Fire Emblem Three Houses, Azure Moon.
Dimitri has officially gone off his rocker.
Re: Europe Might Be Forcing Nintendo To Revise The Switch 2
looks casually at my Wii remote
Say it ain't so. . .
Re: Toby Fox Shares Another Deltarune Chapter 5 Development Update
I'm not planning on playing Deltarune any time soon, but I came by just to say that I'm still looking out for Toy Story 5 updates after a certain Toby Fox tweet.
Friend inside me
Re: Super Mario Bros. Wonder Has Been Updated To Version 1.1.0, Here Are The Full Patch Notes
"Prompting the user to select a profile on the Switch home screen" reads like " we have finally decided to add multiple save files per profile. Are you happy?"
Re: Community: Which Switch 1 Games Benefit Most From Switch 2's New Boost Mode?
I just got Fire Emblem Three Houses last night, and it looked like actual poo in handheld. Then the update launched mere hours later and. . .man, did it make a difference.
Re: Random: Mario Wonder's New Switch 2 Trailer Is Hiding A Crossover Cameo
It must be a sign. I still haven't even finished Pikmin 1.
Re: Celebrate Mario Day With The Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury Soundtrack
Second best soundtrack in the series, after Galaxy 1. You won't hear me say otherwise.
Of course, I also think this game in general is the second best Mario game after Galaxy 1, so maybe I'm just biased.
Re: The Super Mario Galaxy Movie Introduces The Voices Of Yoshi, Wart, And The Honey Queen
Um. . .wut?
(Filler)
Re: Xbox Announces Next Generation Console, Codenamed 'Project Helix'
This just makes me wanna buy a 360.
Re: Feature: "I Literally Got Goosebumps" - Nick Apostolides On Returning As Leon In Resident Evil Requiem
I thought Matt Mercer voiced Leon. I must've heard things wrong.
Re: Mega Man: Dual Override Robot Master Design Contest - Top 6 Designs Revealed
Isn't Valve Man just Gabe Newell?
Re: Kirby Air Riders Races Onto Nintendo Music This Week
For heaven's sakes, Nintendo, put Return to Dreamland Deluxe in there already!
But also, for those of you asking for Smash Bros., this playlist has a few Kirby remixes from the series.
Re: Poll: 20 Years On, Does Your DS Lite Still Have Charge?
I jumped ship to a New 3DS XL, but my younger sister has a rose-gold one that works just fine, last I checked.
Re: Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? (28th February)
Finally getting back to Radiant Dawn after school stuff held me back.
Pray for my soul as inch ever closer to Blood Contract 😢.
Re: Pokémon Presents February 2026: Every Announcement - How Would You Rate It?
Came here to comment on the super-based subtitle reference. Literally no other reason.
Re: Nintendo Music Update Adds Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins Album, Here's Every Song Included
On one hand, this the third game (I think) to ever be composed by Kazumi Totaka, after X and Mario Paint.
On the other hand, this game's soundtrack kinda sucks overall. WARNING DO NOT LISTEN TO THE INVINCIBLE THEME IN THIS GAME IT IS PURE GARBAGE.
Re: Every Nintendo Switch Online Virtual Boy Game Ranked
@Banjo- don't worry, I'm not.
Re: Every Nintendo Switch Online Virtual Boy Game Ranked
If VB Wario Land wasn't so short, it would probably be my favorite Wario Land game. It only took me 2 hours to beat, but it was a blast the whole way through. I never thought I'd like it more than the first Wario Land.
Re: Every Nintendo Switch Online Virtual Boy Game Ranked
@Banjo- Wario Land 1 had the best graphics and music? Did you even play Shake It (or The Shake Dimension) on Wii? That game clears anything that came before it in those categories (the gameplay is up for debate).
Re: Poll: Box Art Brawl: Duel - The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening
After the 2019 remake (one of my favorite covers in the series), the 1993 original has no excuse not showing any artwork. Japan.
Re: Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? (21st February)
Nothing. I'm stuck doing a long research paper AND practicing for a speech. Y'know, adult stuff.
Re: Anniversary: The Legend Of Zelda Turns 40 Today - How Did You First Play It?
I never broke out of my Mario shell until I asked for the 2019 Link's Awakening remake for Christmas 2020. That game (which is still my 2nd favorite game of all time, btw) convinced me to not only try Zelda, but also Nintendo's other offerings.
As for the first game, it was alright. Maybe I'm just a filthy zoomer, but I definitely found more joy in almost every entry that came after.
Almost.
Awkwardly stares at Adventure of Link
Re: Nintendo Seemingly Rules Out Virtual Console Revival, Says It "Remains Focused" On Offering Classics Via Switch Online
Yeah, that's definitely a vague statement, and I wouldn't be surprised at anything at this point.
Re: Poll: How Would You Rate The Nintendo Classics Virtual Boy Launch Games?
Golf is by far the worst. No worth there at all.
I couldn't get into the mansion game. It just doesn't feel right.
3D Tetris and Teleroboxer were fine.
Pinball is pinball (plus, I actually liked the effects and the music, probably the best VB soundtrack).
Unsurprisingly, Wario is the best one. I might even like it more than the first Wario Land (which, by default, also means I like it WAY more than 2, 3, and MoD). Still not quite as good as 4 or Shake It, but it did help pave the way, so I'll give it a pass.
Re: Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Movie Has Found Its Amy Rose
Wasn't she Anna in Frozen?
Re: 'Can You Use Labo VR Goggles For Virtual Boy Games On Switch?' & Other Nintendo Classics VB Questions Answered
I've kept my Labo kits since I got them in 2020, since I didn't want get rid of a future piece of history. It did force me to take my old (non-OLED) Switch model out to use, but it works.
Another thing to add: if you got the cardboard VB headset, you can use that for VR games on Switch 2, such as the game that came with the original Labo VR headset, as well as Mario Odyssey, Captain Toad, BOTW, and Smash Ultimate, among a few third-party games.
Re: Review: Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii)
@Slionr nowadays, I don't know a single person who feels this way. It's pretty much agreed on that the Tellius games have some of the best characters and music in the series, and a FAR better story than anything the GBA did.