@EarthboundBenjy even as someone who hasn't played it, I'd say the opinions are that it's basically Chuchu Rocket with Mario characters, and that it's on par with (if not better than) Super Paper Mario, assuming you believe the first two to be the best, as most PM fans do. I know I'm interested enough to play it.
All I got out of that was Konami remembering Bomberman's existence, Console Archives existing (and possibly being the only way we get Symphony of the Night on Switch), and Leon Kennedy being one step closer to Smash 6.
@Jumwa Nintendo definitely made some dumb choices with the Switch 2, but this Nintendo Grifter trend is annoying to no end. It's like the early 2000's all over again, where Nintendo fans are regarded as little children, regardless of how much they spent on the Switch 2.
If it's not Styling Star HD, I don't care. Nintendo were fools to make that game a digital 3DS exclusive and rob Smash fans of the origin game of "Ring A Ding".
I was crazy about it when it was big. I remember putting a decent amount of time into the Vehicle Kit game, and I liked the VR headset, even if it wasn't used for many games.
They sit in a box in my room right now, and they likely won't get touched until I feel like talking about them in a reel or something, and that's if I start a YouTube channel.
I personally think it would've been better to do a compilation of the series' vocal songs. Drifting Away is good, but I long for the day that Ashley's Song, Tomorrow Hill, Body Rock, and Penny's Song get added to the app.
Yes, I played all four of the games these songs are from. Why do you ask?
NA/PAL, solely because it's a classic. Still not the best Yoshi box art (Wooly World clears), but one I definitely think of when I hear "Yoshi's Island".
@Fighting_Game_Loser Jun Ishikawa retired from composing for HAL after having worked on every mainline game from Dream Land 1 to Star-Crossed World (plus a few spinoffs), so Kondo also retiring would not be out of the question. I was honestly a bit surprised Kondo returned for Mario Wonder.
It's the first mainline Mario content since Wonder's initial release, so it's a no brainer for me. However, I'm a tad bit worried about its staying power and whether or not it will actually be a substantial addition. I'm one of the few that actually really liked the NSMB2 Coin Rush DLC, and obviously Luigi U was the best thing Nintendo could've done for NSMBU, but this kinda looks like extra multiplayer-centric content that should've been in the game from the get-go.
@Porky let me cope, ok? Tbh, I'm not the translation snob that others are, but I don't want to be reminded that I live in a world where the only Nintendo games with a completely straight translation are the Xenoblade trilogy (X was done by Treehouse).
I never involved myself with VR much, and the only "headset" I ever got was Nintendo's own Labo kit (,it was fine), but it's sad to see that a trend that has existed for over a decade is now effectively being left in the past. It'll only be a matter of time before used headsets skyrocket in price.
@Retrodouche to add to this comment, I haven't played FE12 myself, but from what I've gathered, it makes the already mid story even worse with the new characters (the only remake to accomplish this, unless you count Faye in Echoes) and basically overloads your army with increasingly weaker units, among issues that carry from FE11, such as the art style (which only improved slightly) and the dog water supports.
There's also Heroes, which Int Sys counts as mainline, but you're better off watching the cutscenes for Books 1, 3, 6, 9, and 10 on YouTube and admiring the artwork on the Fire Emblem Wiki.
And the spinoffs are spinoffs (even if TMS and Three Hopes get more hate than they deserve).
@GoproGO honestly, you could say that about any game in this franchise. Genealogy is praised to the moon and back, but those maps are way too big for their own good, even if they are integral to the plot.
I still don't get the point of the biorhythm mechanic, the lack of stats during fights is annoying, and the map design could be a little better (COUGH COUGH CHAPTER TEN), but other than that, this game is definitely worthy of its praise. Ike is a great character who definitely earns his position in the story, and the overall gameplay is as good as ever, even if the laguz still feel like discount manaketes.
EDIT: forgot to mention the amazing inclusion of bonus XP, something I've only ever seen in the Xenoblade games.
@EarthboundBenjy I mean, I suppose it's been long enough that people forgot about the mess that was Dark Dawn, but I doubt anyone there still remembers how to make RPGs. Maybe they should just leave it to Intelligent Systems and Monolithsoft.
Unless the first Direct of the year reveals something good, only Fortune's Weave and Splatoon Raiders are on my radar, and Mysterious Book is a definite second-hand purchase.
Even as someone who has yet to play this series, I just know the replies will be filled with disgruntled fans that will claim that, with the exception of XII, the series went completely off the rocker after X.
@The_Nintendo_Expat I can assure you that I never wanted this, but I know plenty of Zelda fans did back at E3 2014, when that first Zelda U showcase dropped. The problem was, they didn't know what they actually wanted.
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Nintendo's open-world design peaked with Bowser's Fury and, to a lesser extent, the Xenoblade franchise. Everything else has fallen flat.
@The_Nintendo_Expat the thing is, the push for open-world, 200-hour experiences was so strong in the 2010's, especially the late 2010's, that there was no avoiding it back then. It's partly their fault, but it's also our fault for thinking that was the way the industry should go.
Sometimes I wish Skyward Sword had sold more copies while Skyrim was left in the ditch back in 2011.
Comments 1,514
Re: Review: Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii)
@Wesker oh, this did not age well at all.
Re: Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 2 Switch And Switch 2 Physical Version Download Requirements Revealed
Get the Switch 1 version, even if you own a Switch 2. I knew MGS4 was gonna be download only, given its size, but still. . .
Re: Castlevania: Belmont's Curse Unveiled For Switch, Launching In 2026
Konami finally remembered they used to make games.
Re: Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 2 Announced For Switch 2 And Switch
. . .I'll take it. Would've liked Portable Ops and Rising: Revengeance, but hey, with MGS5 still on the card, Vol. 3 is a shoe-in, so. . .
Re: Japanese Charts: Dragon Quest VII: Reimagined Blows The Competition Out Of The Water
Wow, Dragon Quest does well in Japan. In other news, water is wet.
Re: Poll: So, Will You Be Getting Mario Tennis Fever For Switch 2?
Haha, nope. The only Mario Sports game that holds any value for me right now is Hoops 3-on-3.
Re: Review: Mario Tennis Fever (Switch 2) - Slim For Singles, But An Addictive Core Gives It Online Legs
Yeah, that's about what I expected. I'd say that this'll probably end up being the best Mario Sports game since Mario Golf World Tour.
(What do you mean, World Tour is 12 years old?!)
Re: If You Like Paper Mario's Newest Entry, This Nintendo Music Update Is For You
@EarthboundBenjy even as someone who hasn't played it, I'd say the opinions are that it's basically Chuchu Rocket with Mario characters, and that it's on par with (if not better than) Super Paper Mario, assuming you believe the first two to be the best, as most PM fans do. I know I'm interested enough to play it.
Re: If You Like Paper Mario's Newest Entry, This Nintendo Music Update Is For You
YEAH BABY MORE YOSHITO SEKIGAWA REPRESENTATION LESGOOOO
I haven't even played this game, but I would've been stupid to not listen to Red Streamer Battle and Battle With King Olly.
Now, if only they added Radiant Dawn.
Re: Hamster's 'Console Archives' Starting Lineup Revealed, Includes More Than 10 Titles
Wake me up when they do Sonic Adventure 2, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, and Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion.
Re: Nintendo Direct Partner Showcase February 2026: Every Announcement, Game Reveal, Trailer
All I got out of that was Konami remembering Bomberman's existence, Console Archives existing (and possibly being the only way we get Symphony of the Night on Switch), and Leon Kennedy being one step closer to Smash 6.
Re: Nintendo Expands Switch Online's Game Boy Library With Two More Titles
@shiningpikablu252 oh yeah, that.
Yeah, nevermind. I don't hate Tingle, but the footage of his games just looks boring to me.
Re: Nintendo Expands Switch Online's Game Boy Library With Two More Titles
Where's Balloon Fight 3, Nintendo?!
Re: Nintendo Will "Carefully Consider" A Switch 2 Price Increase, Says Furukawa
@Jumwa Nintendo definitely made some dumb choices with the Switch 2, but this Nintendo Grifter trend is annoying to no end. It's like the early 2000's all over again, where Nintendo fans are regarded as little children, regardless of how much they spent on the Switch 2.
Re: Style Savvy Developer's Next Switch Game Has Been Rated By The ESRB
If it's not Styling Star HD, I don't care. Nintendo were fools to make that game a digital 3DS exclusive and rob Smash fans of the origin game of "Ring A Ding".
Re: Talking Point: Where's Your Nintendo Labo Now?
I was crazy about it when it was big. I remember putting a decent amount of time into the Vehicle Kit game, and I liked the VR headset, even if it wasn't used for many games.
They sit in a box in my room right now, and they likely won't get touched until I feel like talking about them in a reel or something, and that's if I start a YouTube channel.
Re: Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? (31st January)
Currently playing through both versions of Luigi's Mansion 1, with Dark Moon on the horizon.
Also, Radiant Dawn, if I have time. Good night, that game is long.
Re: Feature: 11 Of The Strangest Game Over Screens On Nintendo Consoles
Insert haha funny "Luigi's Mansion beta version" comment.
Re: Feature: 11 Of The Strangest Game Over Screens On Nintendo Consoles
@larryisaman that, and Prime 3 literally having blood on the screen.
Re: Rumour: Switch Online GameCube Releases Might Have Been Leaked
MP2 I can understand, but the Switch 2 already has access to all main Pikmin games. I myself have the Pikmin 1+2 cart.
Honestly, this feels a little fake. There's a higher likelihood of WarioWare Mega Party Games getting added than these two.
Re: WarioWare's Original Soundtrack Has Been Added To Nintendo Music
I personally think it would've been better to do a compilation of the series' vocal songs. Drifting Away is good, but I long for the day that Ashley's Song, Tomorrow Hill, Body Rock, and Penny's Song get added to the app.
Yes, I played all four of the games these songs are from. Why do you ask?
Re: Rumour: A Nintendo Direct May Be Coming As Soon As Next Week
Wow, crazy. It's not like this has been the case for the past five years or so.
But seriously, I really need more info on Fortune's Weave and Splatoon Raiders.
Re: Best Final Fantasy Games, Ranked - Switch 2 And Nintendo Systems
I'm not surprised by anything on this list, despite having never played a single FF game. The reputation of the franchise speaks for itself.
Re: Poll: Box Art Brawl: Duel - Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
NA/PAL, solely because it's a classic. Still not the best Yoshi box art (Wooly World clears), but one I definitely think of when I hear "Yoshi's Island".
Re: Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? (24th January)
Playing my legit $100 copy of Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn and not regretting a thing.
Also, Yoshi's Island DS. It's not the atrocity old hats claim it is. It's just DK 64 in 2D.
Re: Industry Veteran Hideki Konno Has Apparently Left Nintendo After Four Decades
@Fighting_Game_Loser Jun Ishikawa retired from composing for HAL after having worked on every mainline game from Dream Land 1 to Star-Crossed World (plus a few spinoffs), so Kondo also retiring would not be out of the question. I was honestly a bit surprised Kondo returned for Mario Wonder.
Re: The Next 'Super Mario Galaxy Movie' Nintendo Direct Arrives Sunday, 25th January
"Focus, M."
r/joke
Re: Poll: So, Will You Be Getting The Switch 2 Upgrade For Super Mario Bros. Wonder?
It's the first mainline Mario content since Wonder's initial release, so it's a no brainer for me. However, I'm a tad bit worried about its staying power and whether or not it will actually be a substantial addition. I'm one of the few that actually really liked the NSMB2 Coin Rush DLC, and obviously Luigi U was the best thing Nintendo could've done for NSMBU, but this kinda looks like extra multiplayer-centric content that should've been in the game from the get-go.
Re: Nintendo Producer Kensuke Tanabe Has Seemingly Confirmed His Retirement
I'll just say this:
Anyone who lets Yoshito Sekigawa (the best composer to ever work with Int Sys) compose for Paper Mario is based in my book.
I'll say nothing more.
Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns HD Gets A Free Switch 2 Update And Adds Dixie Kong
My desire level for this version (as opposed to DKCR 3D) has changed from "almost never" to "maybe if I got nothing else on my wish list".
Also, no one's ever using Diddy again. Dixie is the most broken character in 2D platformer history.
Re: Nintendo Music Adds Another Legendary Zelda Soundtrack, Here's Every Song Included
Bad news, Phantom Hourglass has the worst soundtrack in the series (mostly due to largely being crunchy Wind Waker rips).
Good news, SPIRIT TRACKS HAS A CHANCE (unironically top three soundtrack in the series).
EDIT: I forgot about LTTP + Four Swords. LTTP is even crunchier in this version, and Four Swords makes my ears bleed.
Re: "I'm Excited To Meet You" - Devon Pritchard Makes Her First Public Appearance As President Of NoA
@Porky let me cope, ok? Tbh, I'm not the translation snob that others are, but I don't want to be reminded that I live in a world where the only Nintendo games with a completely straight translation are the Xenoblade trilogy (X was done by Treehouse).
Re: Anniversary: Resident Evil: Deadly Silence Is 20 Years Old Today - Were You A Fan?
First off, haha, Deadly Silence, DS, ha.
Second, THERE WAS A RESIDENT EVIL FOR THE NINTENDO DUAL SCREEN?!?!?
FYI, I'm a DS nut, so I already know about the existence of so many other DS games, so this was especially surprising.
Re: "I'm Excited To Meet You" - Devon Pritchard Makes Her First Public Appearance As President Of NoA
@Vyacheslav333 #blametreehouse
I honestly wish 8-4 would completely take over NoA's translation business. Treehouse has completely lost the edge.
Re: Random: Disney's Terrible DS Game 'Cory In The House' Is Now Selling For Hundreds Of Dollars On eBay
Suddenly, my $100 purchase of Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn looks tame.
Then again, who would I rather be playing as? Micaca and the Doodoo Brigade? Or Cory in da haws?
Re: Armature Studio, Founded By Metroid Prime Devs, Has Been Shut Down
I never involved myself with VR much, and the only "headset" I ever got was Nintendo's own Labo kit (,it was fine), but it's sad to see that a trend that has existed for over a decade is now effectively being left in the past. It'll only be a matter of time before used headsets skyrocket in price.
Re: The Live-Action Zelda Movie Is Coming To Netflix
Netflix is getting desperate at this point. They know they've sucked for years now.
Re: Review: Fire Emblem: Path Of Radiance (GameCube) - Aged & Easier Than You're Used To, But Still A Winner
@Retrodouche to add to this comment, I haven't played FE12 myself, but from what I've gathered, it makes the already mid story even worse with the new characters (the only remake to accomplish this, unless you count Faye in Echoes) and basically overloads your army with increasingly weaker units, among issues that carry from FE11, such as the art style (which only improved slightly) and the dog water supports.
There's also Heroes, which Int Sys counts as mainline, but you're better off watching the cutscenes for Books 1, 3, 6, 9, and 10 on YouTube and admiring the artwork on the Fire Emblem Wiki.
And the spinoffs are spinoffs (even if TMS and Three Hopes get more hate than they deserve).
Re: Review: Fire Emblem: Path Of Radiance (GameCube) - Aged & Easier Than You're Used To, But Still A Winner
@GoproGO honestly, you could say that about any game in this franchise. Genealogy is praised to the moon and back, but those maps are way too big for their own good, even if they are integral to the plot.
Re: Review: Fire Emblem: Path Of Radiance (GameCube) - Aged & Easier Than You're Used To, But Still A Winner
I still don't get the point of the biorhythm mechanic, the lack of stats during fights is annoying, and the map design could be a little better (COUGH COUGH CHAPTER TEN), but other than that, this game is definitely worthy of its praise. Ike is a great character who definitely earns his position in the story, and the overall gameplay is as good as ever, even if the laguz still feel like discount manaketes.
EDIT: forgot to mention the amazing inclusion of bonus XP, something I've only ever seen in the Xenoblade games.
Re: Nintendo Music Adds A Fire Emblem Soundtrack In First Update Of 2026
@Laurenzio I know
Re: Nintendo Music Adds A Fire Emblem Soundtrack In First Update Of 2026
No Eternal Bond or The Devoted 😔
Maybe one day.
Also, Against the Black Knight kinda sucks, despite the character it's attached to.
Re: Nintendo Expands Switch 2's GameCube Library With Another Game
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS
#IFIGHTFORMYFRIENDS #YOULLGETNOSYMPATHYFROMME #WELIKEIKE
Re: Nintendo Is Bringing The 'My Mario' Line To The West In February
Oh boy, I can't wait to put my Wooden Block Yoshi amiibo on my shelf next to my super kid-friendly Pyra and Mythra amiibo.
(This is joke. I don't have those amiibo. . .yet)
Re: Mario Tennis On Switch 2 Has 38 Playable Characters – "The Most In Series History"
@EarthboundBenjy I mean, I suppose it's been long enough that people forgot about the mess that was Dark Dawn, but I doubt anyone there still remembers how to make RPGs. Maybe they should just leave it to Intelligent Systems and Monolithsoft.
Re: Nintendo Switch 2: All Confirmed Games & Release Dates
Unless the first Direct of the year reveals something good, only Fortune's Weave and Splatoon Raiders are on my radar, and Mysterious Book is a definite second-hand purchase.
Re: Fitness Boxing Appears To Be Teasing A Collab With Persona
Welp, that's the end of Fitness Boxing, then (r/joke).
Speaking of which, how long until Fire Emblem Heroes receives the infamous game-ending P5 collab?
Re: Square Enix Wants Feedback About The Final Fantasy Series In Its New Survey
Even as someone who has yet to play this series, I just know the replies will be filled with disgruntled fans that will claim that, with the exception of XII, the series went completely off the rocker after X.
Re: Nintendo Suggests Metroid Prime 4's Tortured Development Meant It Was "Divorced From The Changing Of Times"
@The_Nintendo_Expat I can assure you that I never wanted this, but I know plenty of Zelda fans did back at E3 2014, when that first Zelda U showcase dropped. The problem was, they didn't know what they actually wanted.
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Nintendo's open-world design peaked with Bowser's Fury and, to a lesser extent, the Xenoblade franchise. Everything else has fallen flat.
Re: Nintendo Suggests Metroid Prime 4's Tortured Development Meant It Was "Divorced From The Changing Of Times"
@The_Nintendo_Expat the thing is, the push for open-world, 200-hour experiences was so strong in the 2010's, especially the late 2010's, that there was no avoiding it back then. It's partly their fault, but it's also our fault for thinking that was the way the industry should go.
Sometimes I wish Skyward Sword had sold more copies while Skyrim was left in the ditch back in 2011.