@Ralek85 actually, I think you summed up why I was a stick-only player for the longest time. Unfortunately, I don't think Nintendo has incentive to change this. The Splatoon pros have gotten so used to the controls for years that it's just muscle memory at this point, and there aren't enough newbies complaining about it. However, I think this is part of the reason Splatoon in general gets dismissed by the hardcore audience.
As for Star Fox, I personally adhere to stick-only, since I feel that it's the best way to go about these games, but I will definitely say that gyro is better than mouse for Star Fox.
@Ralek85 Star Fox 64 3D actually did have gyro aiming as an option, and it's about as good as you would want to be.
In regards to Splatoon, it's kinda funny that you should say that, considering Splatoon 1 was the big game that made hardcore gamers realize how good gyro can be back in 2015. I personally don't hate the gyro in Splatoon games, but I can still see why it would be disliked (I was a stick player for the longest time and only recently switched).
Sadly, GameStop isn't doing much better here in the States. I honestly feel like Blockbuster would've still died out even if Netflix didn't exist, given the direction the industry has taken. It seems that the era of dedicated retail videogame stores has come to a close.
Pretty good if we're solely basing this off the controllers you can purchase, since those are the parts of this service that you're guaranteed to own. All of them are pretty fun to use and well-made from my experience, and they'll definitely have a lasting impact.
As for the rest, I don't mind the DLC and upgrade packs on offer, but the retro service is the real meat and potatoes here. As is, the library is already arguably better than any previous Virtual Console, but the drip feed is a bit annoying. Sometimes I forget NSO still gets updates until a new trailer drops. Obviously, I also wish there was a way to outright buy the games, or even just the apps themselves, since they're downloaded directly to your device and work offline.
All in all, it could still be better with a few changes, but it's still way better than GamePass and PS Plus by far, especially since those services actively hinder the sales of the games that release on those platforms.
GX probably has licensing issues, and no one seems to care about the GBA games, so this choice makes sense. I actually really like the White Land + Death Wind remix. It turned the two worst songs in the game into one of the best.
@Dimjimmer I mean, I, too, would be afraid of expanding on Star Fox if the last original game completely assassinated basically every character and had awful controls.
@SuperEndriu no, but it's blatantly obvious that they're gearing up for the end, especially since FEH isn't making as much money as it used to. The current book is the first stage of Ragnarok, which, according to Norse myth, takes place in three stages.
A bit sad, but it was inevitable. I liked playing this game well enough and only spent money on the Gold Pass. Really hoping Piranha Plant Pipeline returns in a future Mariokart.
In other news, this means Super Mario Run, Fire Emblem Heroes, and Fire Emblem Shadows are left. Super Mario Run was always a "pay once for everything" game since its release, FEH will have a definitive ending to its story by Book 12, and FES. . .I guarantee Nintendo isn't making any money on that game.
Nintendo is clearly try to ditch the mobile game market entirely by 2030.
@mlt I only played the demo, but it was prompted at the beginning, and it was on the main menu. It basically tests your input on every fourth beat, and if it's successful, it'll calculate inputs in the rest of the game based on that test.
Honestly, this release is far too late for Nintendo consoles. This game seems to have lost its luster and popularity in the two decades since its release that a Nintendo version isn't exciting in the slightest.
Also, this game was infamously responsible for the DLC plague we are dealing with to this very day, so there's that, too.
This game was the beginning of the end for Bethesda.
@xzacutor the dialogue in the remake is actually closer to the original Japanese text than how it was previously. Most of the lines in Star Fox 64 proper were improvised, from what I've seen. I'm not saying I disagree, but it's definitely a localization quirk more than anything.
@rvcolem1 apparently, Blue Storm sucked, according to Wave Race die-hards. I agree on the Excite games on Wii, though. Those games genuinely shocked me with how solid they were.
Did Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe ever get fixed? I saw that game had issues and I heard it was fixed, but the game is still on the same version it was before the Switch 2 launched. If someone knows anything about this, let me know.
@DennisReynolds the stuff you usually get from amiibo is so inconsequential that you're genuinely not missing out on anything. You're paying for the figure, not the thing it does in the game. The only time this wasn't the case was Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival.
Meh. Not enough to convince me to get a Fox amiibo. The only one currently on my radar is Majora Link because 1. Majora Link is epic, and 2. Fierce Deity armor in BOTW.
For reference, Erik Braa also voiced Master Kohga in Age of Calamity and Sombron in Fire Emblem Engage, and Brittany Cox voiced Ingrid in Fire Emblem Three Houses.
Idk about the others.
Also, blah blah blah, yet another VA change for the Star Fox cast, things happen, blah blah blah. It's sad, but it's nothing to get upset over.
Apologies for a third comment, but I just checked the differences, and this actually appears to be superior to the PS1 version. . .in some ways. The PS1 version has ending cinematics and more modes, but the arcade version runs at 60fps and doesn't have you lying on the ground for 5 seconds flat after a knockback.
I never grew up with the N64, but I have a weird appreciation for this console that I don't share with its contemporaries, the Saturn and the PS1. Not all of its games are great, and it's really unfortunate that Paper Mario is the only good RPG, but I could never bring myself to hate this system or its controller.
@Anachronism I suppose the assessment of Radiant Dawn is fair, even if I'm biased (RD is one of my favorite Wii games and probably my favorite Fire Emblem). However, there are several other Wii games that do a better job with in-game cutscenes, like the Mario Galaxy games and Skyward Sword. Even Twilight Princess looks better, and that's the most poorly aged 3D Zelda in terms of graphics.
I'll also admit that I'm a sucker for animated movies, so naturally, that kind of art style is more appealing to me than realism and similar styles. I've seen serious stories with genuine depth and emotion being told through this kind of medium, and as such, I don't think it's fair to immediately write off art styles like that as being cheesy and insincere. All of this is on top of the fact that I don't think XC1 is quite the pinnacle of storytelling that JRPG-heads claim it is (Riki needed more screentime, they all should've died when Galahad Fortress collapsed, and Zanza had no real motivation other than "man bad"), and while it still pulled through in the end, it was mostly a vehicle for the gameplay for me. Plus, it's in a very similar situation as Revenge of the Sith where the memes have saturated people's opinions on this game so thoroughly that it ends up being incredibly cheesy anyway, even if the deliveries are good.
As someone who loves the Wii with all my heart despite its blatant problems, I never once got why people think the original graphics for XC1 look better. They look like they came from a budget PS2 game. Compare the cutscenes to the ones from Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, and, outside of the voice acting, it's night and day how much better Fire Emblem looks. I'm not really into anime in general, but I can say with all confidence that XC1 DE looks better than the original, period. With XCX, it's a bit more debatable, since both versions look fairly similar, but with XC1, there is no doubt in my mind.
Props to the 3DS version for having a music player, though. I don't know why anyone would ever use their 3DS as a music player over their phone, but the feature is still nice to have.
@Late a few of the Archanean characters like Jagen, Draug and Medeus, as well as Julius, use their old artwork from the 90's. I think that's it, but still. . .
I never once understood the appeal for these cards.
Also, I blame Pokemon TCG for the West never getting Fire Emblem Cipher cards. The only examples of artwork from those cards in the West are SSBU spirits and the 30th Anniversary art book.
Congratulations to all of you whose copy of Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition is now useless. . .maybe.
I'm not opposed to this, but this doesn't diminish the value of the NES remix games in my opinion. Those games put in effort to stand out as actual games and not just challenge collections.
Comments 1,514
Re: Review: Splatoon Raiders (Switch 2) - The Best Single-Player Splatoon Has Fantastic Multiplayer
@Ralek85 actually, I think you summed up why I was a stick-only player for the longest time. Unfortunately, I don't think Nintendo has incentive to change this. The Splatoon pros have gotten so used to the controls for years that it's just muscle memory at this point, and there aren't enough newbies complaining about it. However, I think this is part of the reason Splatoon in general gets dismissed by the hardcore audience.
As for Star Fox, I personally adhere to stick-only, since I feel that it's the best way to go about these games, but I will definitely say that gyro is better than mouse for Star Fox.
Re: Review: Splatoon Raiders (Switch 2) - The Best Single-Player Splatoon Has Fantastic Multiplayer
@Ralek85 Star Fox 64 3D actually did have gyro aiming as an option, and it's about as good as you would want to be.
In regards to Splatoon, it's kinda funny that you should say that, considering Splatoon 1 was the big game that made hardcore gamers realize how good gyro can be back in 2015. I personally don't hate the gyro in Splatoon games, but I can still see why it would be disliked (I was a stick player for the longest time and only recently switched).
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Has Been Updated To Version 3.0.0
@Jintenzo ahem. . .the ones from the photo.
Yes, THAT photo.
Tbh, I'll be shocked if Nia doesn't also get her dress.
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Has Been Updated To Version 3.0.0
I'm nervous as to who the new Blade will be and whether or not they'll give THOSE dresses to Pyra and Mythra.
You know the ones.
Re: UK Retailer GAME Entered Administration Owing A Staggering £16 Million
Sadly, GameStop isn't doing much better here in the States. I honestly feel like Blockbuster would've still died out even if Netflix didn't exist, given the direction the industry has taken. It seems that the era of dedicated retail videogame stores has come to a close.
Re: Poll: How Would You Rate Nintendo's Switch Online Offering In 2026?
Pretty good if we're solely basing this off the controllers you can purchase, since those are the parts of this service that you're guaranteed to own. All of them are pretty fun to use and well-made from my experience, and they'll definitely have a lasting impact.
As for the rest, I don't mind the DLC and upgrade packs on offer, but the retro service is the real meat and potatoes here. As is, the library is already arguably better than any previous Virtual Console, but the drip feed is a bit annoying. Sometimes I forget NSO still gets updates until a new trailer drops. Obviously, I also wish there was a way to outright buy the games, or even just the apps themselves, since they're downloaded directly to your device and work offline.
All in all, it could still be better with a few changes, but it's still way better than GamePass and PS Plus by far, especially since those services actively hinder the sales of the games that release on those platforms.
Re: Mario Tennis Fever Free 'Super Mario Galaxy' Update Out Now, Here Are The Full Patch Notes
Virgin "release unfinished and add content updates later" Aces vs. Chad "release complete and add bonus updates later" Fever
Also, this update has more original content than the entirety of Ultra Smash.
Re: Talking Point: New Ocarina = New amiibo? Nintendo Needs To Make These Zelda Figurines
That would be nice, except for one thing: we already have an OOT amiibo with the OOT Link that released for the franchise's 25th anniversary.
Though, I suppose that didn't stop them when making the Zelda and Loftwing amiibo for Skyward HD, despite a Skyward Link amiibo also existing.
Re: Another F-Zero Album Joins The Nintendo Music Library This Week
GX probably has licensing issues, and no one seems to care about the GBA games, so this choice makes sense. I actually really like the White Land + Death Wind remix. It turned the two worst songs in the game into one of the best.
Re: Japanese Charts: Holy Moly, Look At Those Rhythm Heaven Groove Sales
@Dimjimmer I mean, I, too, would be afraid of expanding on Star Fox if the last original game completely assassinated basically every character and had awful controls.
Re: Mario Kart Tour Service Officially Ends This September
@SuperEndriu no, but it's blatantly obvious that they're gearing up for the end, especially since FEH isn't making as much money as it used to. The current book is the first stage of Ragnarok, which, according to Norse myth, takes place in three stages.
Re: Mario Kart Tour Service Officially Ends This September
A bit sad, but it was inevitable. I liked playing this game well enough and only spent money on the Gold Pass. Really hoping Piranha Plant Pipeline returns in a future Mariokart.
In other news, this means Super Mario Run, Fire Emblem Heroes, and Fire Emblem Shadows are left. Super Mario Run was always a "pay once for everything" game since its release, FEH will have a definitive ending to its story by Book 12, and FES. . .I guarantee Nintendo isn't making any money on that game.
Nintendo is clearly try to ditch the mobile game market entirely by 2030.
Re: Nintendo Expands Switch Online's Game Boy & GBA Library With Four More Titles
First off, this website lacks a dedicated page for Dr. Mario & Puzzle League. Y'all might wanna check that out.
Second, WL1 should've been there from day one on the GB app instead of WL3. It's a way better game, imo.
Re: Nintendo Will Stop Selling The Original Switch From February 2027
It's also the end of the 7th generation technology that began with the Xbox 360.
I'll miss them beautiful 720p screens. . .
Re: Poll: What Review Score Would You Give Rhythm Heaven Groove?
Why is this even a question? It's Rhythm Heaven. Everyone already knows what score they would give it.
Re: Poll: Box Art Brawl: Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii)
@martynstuff the sad thing is that this game came out in 2011-2012, before that flag was even an issue.
Remember back when no one had a problem with rainbow flags on anything?
Re: Opinion: What's The Best Star Fox Stage, And Why Is It Sector X?
Macbeth or Area 6, probably.
Re: Round Up: The Reviews Are In For Rhythm Heaven Groove
@AussieMcBucket NOOOOOOOOOO YOU BEAT ME TO IT
Re: Round Up: The Reviews Are In For Rhythm Heaven Groove
"I'm sorry, but you've thrown off the Emperor's Groove."
Sorry, I couldn't help myself. That movie is one of my favorites from Disney, and that subtitle triggered my nostalgia.
Re: Review: Rhythm Heaven Groove (Switch) - A Low-Key Swansong And Perfect Mic-Drop For Switch 1
@mlt I only played the demo, but it was prompted at the beginning, and it was on the main menu. It basically tests your input on every fourth beat, and if it's successful, it'll calculate inputs in the rest of the game based on that test.
Re: Review: Rhythm Heaven Groove (Switch) - A Low-Key Swansong And Perfect Mic-Drop For Switch 1
They have an input test to help nullify the lag, and it worked for me, so I don't see what the issue is here.
Other than that, about what I expected. It's Rhythm Heaven. Go buy it.
Re: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Remastered Launches August, Physical Edition Confirmed
Honestly, this release is far too late for Nintendo consoles. This game seems to have lost its luster and popularity in the two decades since its release that a Nintendo version isn't exciting in the slightest.
Also, this game was infamously responsible for the DLC plague we are dealing with to this very day, so there's that, too.
This game was the beginning of the end for Bethesda.
Re: Poll: What Review Score Would You Give Star Fox On Switch 2?
@xzacutor the dialogue in the remake is actually closer to the original Japanese text than how it was previously. Most of the lines in Star Fox 64 proper were improvised, from what I've seen. I'm not saying I disagree, but it's definitely a localization quirk more than anything.
Re: Poll: What Review Score Would You Give Star Fox On Switch 2?
@xmkbest I think you completely missed the appeal of Star Fox 64.
Re: Poll: What Review Score Would You Give Star Fox On Switch 2?
It's an 8.5 for me. No Star Fox was ever gonna be a 9 or 10 for me, but this is as good as it gets for this franchise.
Re: Poll: What Review Score Would You Give Star Fox On Switch 2?
@rvcolem1 apparently, Blue Storm sucked, according to Wave Race die-hards. I agree on the Excite games on Wii, though. Those games genuinely shocked me with how solid they were.
Re: Poll: What's Your Switch 2 Game Of The Year So Far?
I know we're halfway through the year, but this feels like terrible timing, since most of the impactful stuff is in the latter half of the year.
As of right now, though, Star Fox.
Re: Multiple Switch Games Have Received Switch 2 Compatibility Fixes
@RupeeClock ok, thank you for that.
Re: Best Star Fox Games Of All Time
Hey, look, they updated the list already.
Also, I'm not surprised by the results. . .at all.
Re: Multiple Switch Games Have Received Switch 2 Compatibility Fixes
Did Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe ever get fixed? I saw that game had issues and I heard it was fixed, but the game is still on the same version it was before the Switch 2 launched. If someone knows anything about this, let me know.
Re: How Star Fox amiibo Unlocks Work On Switch 2
@DennisReynolds the stuff you usually get from amiibo is so inconsequential that you're genuinely not missing out on anything. You're paying for the figure, not the thing it does in the game. The only time this wasn't the case was Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival.
Re: How Star Fox amiibo Unlocks Work On Switch 2
@DennisReynolds these figures were released over a decade ago. They're less than $25 on eBay, and most people who wanted them already got them.
Re: Monster Hunter Stories 3 'Rudy' Side-Story DLC Announced, Out Now Alongside Free Update
Uh, when did MHS3 come out again? I forgot.
Re: How Star Fox amiibo Unlocks Work On Switch 2
Meh. Not enough to convince me to get a Fox amiibo. The only one currently on my radar is Majora Link because 1. Majora Link is epic, and 2. Fierce Deity armor in BOTW.
Re: Star Fox Switch 2 English Voice Actors Officially Revealed
For reference, Erik Braa also voiced Master Kohga in Age of Calamity and Sombron in Fire Emblem Engage, and Brittany Cox voiced Ingrid in Fire Emblem Three Houses.
Idk about the others.
Also, blah blah blah, yet another VA change for the Star Fox cast, things happen, blah blah blah. It's sad, but it's nothing to get upset over.
Re: Tekken Is Coming To Switch 2, But Not The One You Think
Apologies for a third comment, but I just checked the differences, and this actually appears to be superior to the PS1 version. . .in some ways. The PS1 version has ending cinematics and more modes, but the arcade version runs at 60fps and doesn't have you lying on the ground for 5 seconds flat after a knockback.
Re: Tekken Is Coming To Switch 2, But Not The One You Think
Also, this is only the fourth Tekken release on Nintendo platforms. . .ever, apparently. Bamco is slacking.
Re: Tekken Is Coming To Switch 2, But Not The One You Think
YEEEEEEEEEESSSSS
ILL TAKE THAT
Re: Sega Announces Two Sonic Game Collections For Switch
Don't gaslight me like that. I thought they were bringing back the pre-Colors 3D Sonic games.
Re: Community: Got Treasured N64 Memories? We'd Love To Hear Them
I never grew up with the N64, but I have a weird appreciation for this console that I don't share with its contemporaries, the Saturn and the PS1. Not all of its games are great, and it's really unfortunate that Paper Mario is the only good RPG, but I could never bring myself to hate this system or its controller.
Re: Video: Xenoblade Chronicles Compared Across Wii, 3DS, Switch, And Switch 2
@Anachronism I suppose the assessment of Radiant Dawn is fair, even if I'm biased (RD is one of my favorite Wii games and probably my favorite Fire Emblem). However, there are several other Wii games that do a better job with in-game cutscenes, like the Mario Galaxy games and Skyward Sword. Even Twilight Princess looks better, and that's the most poorly aged 3D Zelda in terms of graphics.
I'll also admit that I'm a sucker for animated movies, so naturally, that kind of art style is more appealing to me than realism and similar styles. I've seen serious stories with genuine depth and emotion being told through this kind of medium, and as such, I don't think it's fair to immediately write off art styles like that as being cheesy and insincere. All of this is on top of the fact that I don't think XC1 is quite the pinnacle of storytelling that JRPG-heads claim it is (Riki needed more screentime, they all should've died when Galahad Fortress collapsed, and Zanza had no real motivation other than "man bad"), and while it still pulled through in the end, it was mostly a vehicle for the gameplay for me. Plus, it's in a very similar situation as Revenge of the Sith where the memes have saturated people's opinions on this game so thoroughly that it ends up being incredibly cheesy anyway, even if the deliveries are good.
Re: Video: Xenoblade Chronicles Compared Across Wii, 3DS, Switch, And Switch 2
@Kilamanjaro that would actually be Breath of the Wild, honestly.
Re: Video: Xenoblade Chronicles Compared Across Wii, 3DS, Switch, And Switch 2
As someone who loves the Wii with all my heart despite its blatant problems, I never once got why people think the original graphics for XC1 look better. They look like they came from a budget PS2 game. Compare the cutscenes to the ones from Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, and, outside of the voice acting, it's night and day how much better Fire Emblem looks. I'm not really into anime in general, but I can say with all confidence that XC1 DE looks better than the original, period. With XCX, it's a bit more debatable, since both versions look fairly similar, but with XC1, there is no doubt in my mind.
Props to the 3DS version for having a music player, though. I don't know why anyone would ever use their 3DS as a music player over their phone, but the feature is still nice to have.
Re: Preview: Yep, Rhythm Paradise Groove Is Another Rhythm Heaven Game (Good)
That's all it needed to be, honestly. Sometimes, it's best to not betray your roots with a direction fans won't be happy with.
Re: Nintendo Switch Sports Resort Brings 12 Sports To Switch 2 Later This Year
I can't believe Demeech was right.
Looks fun, though, and definitely better than the first attempt on Switch 1.
Re: Xenoblade Genesis Announced For Switch 2, Launching 2027
I definitely think they're coattailing on Xenoblade's success with that name, but anything new from Monolithsoft gets my support.
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles 1, 2, And 3 Are All Getting Nintendo Switch 2 Editions
Voiced Heart-to-hearts in base XC1 and playable Blades in base XC2 are exactly what I wanted from something like this.
Re: Opinion: By Definition, Pokémon TCG Is No Longer A Hobby
@Late a few of the Archanean characters like Jagen, Draug and Medeus, as well as Julius, use their old artwork from the 90's. I think that's it, but still. . .
Re: Opinion: By Definition, Pokémon TCG Is No Longer A Hobby
I never once understood the appeal for these cards.
Also, I blame Pokemon TCG for the West never getting Fire Emblem Cipher cards. The only examples of artwork from those cards in the West are SSBU spirits and the 30th Anniversary art book.
Re: Select Nintendo Classics Games Might Be Getting Special Challenges Soon
Congratulations to all of you whose copy of Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition is now useless. . .maybe.
I'm not opposed to this, but this doesn't diminish the value of the NES remix games in my opinion. Those games put in effort to stand out as actual games and not just challenge collections.