Nintendo Download: 14th August (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

XType Plus, GAIABREAKER, Mega Man, Double Dragon and more

It's time again for the Nintendo Download Update news, and this week's North American list brings us multiple new titles on the Wii U, along with some retro goodies to consider. There's also a free demo on 3DS, a host of discounts across both current-gen systems and even a DSiWare game. Let's get to it.

Did you miss the European Nintendo Download Update news earlier in the week? Don't fret, the details are right here, while there are plenty of additional discounts.

Wii U eShop

GAIABREAKER (Ubiquitous Entertainment, $14.99) — The scrolling shoot 'em up genre has been particularly absent on the Wii U eShop, even if the spherical approach of Nano Assault Neo throws up an excellent option. While this one gets attention almost be default as a result of the genre's absence on the store, we were left unimpressed in our GAIABREAKER review.

XType Plus (PhobosLab, $2.99 / $2.99 CAD) — This shoot 'em up comes courtesy of the Nintendo Web Framework, with PhobosLab also developing its own engine to allow easy coding in the platform. This simple but addictive shooter is also the finest Nintendo Web Framework game to date, with smooth gameplay and a one-more-game impact; we described it as the "Citizen Kane of Web Framework games" in our XType Plus review.

Soon Shine (Dahku Creations, $1.99) — This developer's second release on the Wii U eShop, this utilises tap and swipe controls on the Wii U GamePad touch screen. It's a fun if rather limited title, with plenty of details available in our Soon Shine review.

Wii U Virtual Console

Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge (Capcom, $7.99) — The second of this spin-off series to come to the Wii U via its Game Boy Advance library, this continues the same principles as its predecessor, though you're now battling through a tournament to win a rare Battle Chip. Expect more turn-based shenanigans, and we'll get working on a review.

Double Dragon II: The Revenge (Arc System Works. $4.99) — The iconic action beat 'em up series' second entry arrives on Wii U, with the grisly premise that you're now avenging a death rather than a kidnapping. Although it improves on some flaws in the original its far from perfect, though we gave it a cautious recommendation in our Double Dragon II: The Revenge review.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discounts

Gravity Badgers (Wales Interactive, $3.49 until 28th August, normally $4.99)

Hello Kitty Cruisers (Bergsala Lightweight, $9.99 from 18th August to 1st September, normally $19.95)

Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails (Dakko Dakko, $4.99 until 21st August, normally $9.99)

ZaciSa's Last Stand (ZeNfA Productions, $1.49 until 28th August, normally $2.99)

3DS eShop

Gothic Masquerade (Teyon, $4.99) — It's been an uncomfortable few weeks without a hidden object game on the 3DS eShop, but Teyon has fearlessly stepped forward with a new entry for eagle-eyed gamers. This apparently has over 1000 hidden objects across various environments, so we'll try to find them all in our review.

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

Code of Princess (Atlus, on discount from 18th August to 1st September)

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl (Atlus, on discount from 18th August to 1st September)

Classic Games Overload (Telegames Inc, $19.99 until 4th September, normally $29.99)

Me & My Furry Patients 3D (TREVA Entertainment, $9.99 until 3rd September, normally $29.99)

Travel Adventures With Hello Kitty (Bergsala Lightweight, $9.99 from 18th August to 1st September, normally $19.99)

3DS eShop Permanent Discount

My Riding Stables 3D - Jumping for the Team (TREVA Entertainment, $15.99, was previously $29.99)

Riding Stables 3D (TREVA Entertainment, $15.99, was previously $19.99)

3DS eShop Demo

Cooking Mama 5: Bon Appetit (Majesco Entertainment, free)

DSiWare

Amida's Path (Collavier Corporation, 500 Nintendo Points) — This seems to incorporate an interesting gameplay mechanic where you draw lines within a traditional Japanese 'lottery' system, while also thinking strategically. That has us intrigued, as does the visual style, but we'll let you know what we think in our upcoming review.

That's everything for this time, North America. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (279 votes)

GAIABREAKER (Wii U eShop)

XType Plus (Wii U eShop)

Soon Shine (Wii U eShop)

Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge (Wii U Virtual Console)

Double Dragon II: The Revenge (Wii U Virtual Console)

Gravity Badgers (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Hello Kitty Cruisers (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

18%

ZaciSa's Last Stand (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Gothic Masquerade (3DS eShop)

Code of Princess (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Classic Games Overload (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Me & My Furry Patients 3D (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Travel Adventures With Hello Kitty (3DS eShop temporary discount)

My Riding Stables 3D - Jumping for the Team (3DS eShop permanent discount)

Riding Stables 3D (3DS eShop permanent discount)

Cooking Mama 5: Bon Appetit (3DS eShop demo)

Amida's Path (DSiWare)

Nothing for me this week

48%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Curly_Brace

Curly_Brace said:

Double dragon for Wii U VC: "The iconic action beat 'em up series receives its second entry on the portable's retro store"
I didn't know the Wii U was a portable :)

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Confirmed future VC releases for Wii U......

• Life Force – Aug. 21 (Virtual Console on Wii U)
  • Donkey Kong Jr. Math – Aug. 28 (Virtual Console on Wii U)
2Sang

2Sang said:

Unless you're a hello kitty fan, terrible week. Guess I'll pick up the cooking mama demo just for the heck of it.

gabopr75

gabopr75 said:

Was expecting a sale like the one NOE did. Guess I didnt get my birthday wish.
Can anyone shed light how different this Megaman Battle chip game differs from Battle Network 1 or if its worth getting scince I already got MMBN1 last week.

ChemyNoSurfea

ChemyNoSurfea said:

M-m-muh Megaman discounts?!
Hey! I've been saving lots of money since nothings been of my interest lately, I might be able to afford my 2 copies of Smash, both Pokemon games and Fantasy Life on release!
That's the bright side.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

I'm eyeballing Amida's Path. Also, why is the European download of XType more than twice the size of it's NA counterpart?

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

Megaman and Scram Kitty for me. I never played this Battle Network spin-off, so I'm excited to try it!

Wilford111

Wilford111 said:

Just so people know, I haven't heard good things about battle chip challenge...
I haven't tried it either though, so I guess I'll get it :P

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@WaLzgi

I heard that the Taxes are included in your price where as in NA they are not and in EU, taxes are substantially higher.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

There are some pretty good sales on the Wii U. I'll probably get Scram Kitty, and I might get ZaciSa and Gravity Badgers.

ashlyquin

ashlyquin said:

Well Nintendo, Thank you for helping me save money again this week!!! Looks like only Smash Bros. and Pokémon for me until next year, wink wink.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

dang its 9:30 am, folks are already complaining lol.
go have breakfast or something.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Ok, North Americans, no excuses now. Go get Scram Kitty.

As for me, I will get Soon Shine and X Type.

Yogsoggoth

Yogsoggoth said:

I was hoping for Mysterious Castle of Murasmae on the WiiU. Maybe if Nintendo had made it an exclusive release they would have made the WiiU more appealing. Instead they insist on drip feeding us VC games that have been available everywhere for years.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

This confirms that the Smash newcomer discounts won't be coming to NA for awhile, Battle Chip Challenge being the Mega Man title instead of 6.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Double Dragon II will a purchase for me, but XType Plus at least has my interest. However both will have to wait for my new HDD USB enclosure to arrive. My current old Maxtor HDD is starting to give out and while I have a replacement, I need an 2.5" enclosure for it.

It is good though to see more than a single VC game release, multiple eShop games arrive and Nintendo continuing to inform people of upcoming Virtual Console arrivals.

blaze8937

blaze8937 said:

@Stu13 I read somewhere the file size are normally bigger because of all the different languages compared to the American version

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

Nintendo certainly jumbed at the opportunity to use Gamecom to promote the e-shop ... This is almost as a great as their Gamescom conference!
Alright, alright, I stop, but honestly, what are they doing? They started building some real good PR momentum with MK8 and a great showing at E3, now it is all radio silence? I don't get it!

blaze8937

blaze8937 said:

@gabopr75 battlechip challenge is....uhh beyond different from battle network. From what I remember when it first came out it is that you battle on a single grid and its like a turn based battle system its been years since I played it but if you like the way battle network played look up some gameplay of battlechip challenge before you make a final decision

DragonbornRito

DragonbornRito said:

Pokemon-mon-mon-mon-mon-mon... Pokemon-mon-mon-mon-mon-mon... I just want the TCG to come the to 3DS eShop. Easy $5 or $6 from me, NOA!

AdmiralThrawn

AdmiralThrawn said:

Unless you are an avid Megaman fan, stay away from Battle Chip Challenge like the plague. In no way is it similar to the gameplay of Battle Network. It may be in the world of Battle Network, but it is a completely different game.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Let me pile on the love for Scram Kitty. A tough, unique game, w/ excellent tunes. Easily worth your $5.

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

Thanks NA, I didn't want to buy 6 mega man games all at once...

Let me throw in another "buy scram kitty" plug. Great and unique game. If you are on the fence, can't argue with a sale, now can you!

Will definitly pick up life force next week so at least I know I have something coming. Still waiting for bubble bobble and blaster master as my 2 remaining insta-buy wii u VC purchases.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Well... I can still patiently wait for Disney Infinity 2.0, Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U, Sonic Boom, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, and Shantae: Half-Genie Hero.

Action51

Action51 said:

Ooh! Lotsa good stuff to grab this week for shmup fans!

Definitely gonna grab Scram Kitty at the discount, and think about Gaiabreakers and X type when I see some reviews and footage.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Scram Kitty and XType both seem pretty interesting. Not a bad week depending on what kind of games you enjoy!

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

@WaLzgi In Europe, the tax is substantially higher. For this sort of goods, in Portugal it is 23%. In the UK its 20%, afaik.
European State and societies are very different from the US, we have more welfare. Public and universal hospitals, schools,universities, radio and television, postal service, public transportation, unemployment aid, etc. So we pay more tax to get more in return.

ChrisT99

ChrisT99 said:

Which is the better game: Gravity Badgers or Scram Kitty? I can't get both, as I only have $7 to spend.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

I guess Scram Kitty is worth a shot for that price.
Even though I love the Megaman Battle Network series, I can't in good fate recommend Battle Chip Challenge. Pretty much just read, setup the battle chips, and watch them fight, that's mostly it. Way different gameplay.

outburst

outburst said:

Everyone's birthday? Me too! Club Nintendo gave me 50 Stars. :D

Edit.
Also I wondered why there's a different background music on my wii u today with raining confetti. :D

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@ChrisT99

I would say go with Scram Kitty. I would always recommend it over any other eShop game, but this sale make it a better deal, since a regular price GB is cheaper than a discounted SK.

Reviews were much kinder to Scram Kitty too.

Action51

Action51 said:

@sinalefa - definitely picking up Scram Kitty today.

My E-Shop recommendations are:
Shovel Knight
Swords and Soldiers HD,
Pushmo World
Toki Tori
NES remix 1 +2
1001 Spikes

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Scram Kitty for me. I've been waiting because I have enough to play for now, but I can't ignore the sale. :)

I like sales but different markets use them for different reasons. If we aren't getting sales it means they aren't needed. That's partly because prices are already consistently lower and maybe the market is simply healthier. That's all good for those of use who want Nintendo to keep bringing us what we want.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

Scram kitty, XType Plus,and Soon Shine are the only games that caught my eye this week.The rest meh.

Benjaminitonio

Benjaminitonio said:

Do these discounts take some time to actually take effect? I saw the scram kitty discount and rushed to my wii u to find it full price and became sad boy :(

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

@WaLzgi The prices are a consequence of the politics. I think people underestimate the impact of politics on our everyday lives. But all right, lets talk about games. I didn't intend to annoy or disturb you.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@Benjaminitonio

This is posted before the stuff is actually updated and put on sale. Though if you checked not too long ago, it should be updated now. The E-shop would have updated 50 minutes ago.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Picked up Cooking Mama 5 Demo in 3DS e-shop. Would have picked up a few games in the price drop section but already got most of them when they went on sale the last time...

Hopefully we can post screenshots for Cooking Mama 5 - 3ds unlike gardening mama 2 - 3ds. Still new to Cooking Mama series & it' be nice to post screenshots so if have a problem with the game can post the picture to ask for help & show the problem...

Haven't needed to buy an e-shop card since early June... Right now there's nothing in the 3ds e-shop... :'(

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

@KnightRider666
Indeed, granted we got a Japan-only game last week, I'm not going to hold my breath for more Japan-only VC games anytime soon... (Some would require translating, something Nintendo's not willing to do, to sell a $5 game.)

Plus, "Devil World" might be to "controversial" for American audiences, especially those who always act offended by seeing a lower-case letter "T." I don't think it looks "offensive" to religious people though.

I kinda wish Nintendo wasn't so strict with their 1-2 games a week for Virtual Console policy... Seriously, I've been waiting for "Bubble Bobble," which has been out in Japan's 3DS VC sense October last year... (Not to mention, they have the entire "Donkey Kong Land" Gameboy trilogy, as well. I'll be amazed if we ever get those anytime soon.)
Not to mention "Blaster Master" took nearly 2 years to get here, as well. I hate to sound pessimistic, but at this rate we're lucky to get 1 VC games a week for either console...

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@Beau_Skunk

Yeah some VC titles would be nice to see on the 3ds e-shop... Anything right now would look good almost by this point.

Still waiting to see these games go on sale in the US 3ds e-shop:

Croods/Madagascar Combo Pack - 3DS
Life With Horses - 3DS
How To Train Your Dragon 2 - 3DS
Alien on the run - 3DSware

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@Ralek85 It hasn't been radio silence. They were at Comic-Con, they're at Gamescom even if there isn't a conference (one isn't really needed cause any new games would be for 3DS and then people would complain that they aren't focusing on Wii U), and they've kept the positive PR going with updates on Hyrule Warriors, Smash, and Pokemon ORAS.

FcsevenXIII

FcsevenXIII said:

@Samurai_Goroh Let's not forget the American federal reserve bank bailing you guys out during the financial crisis. I know this is not a political website but remember that while enjoying all your free stuff.

brokenfang

brokenfang said:

Scram Kiltty for me. waiting on the review for X type, but will likely grab that too.

xj0462

xj0462 said:

meh, just moar loving garbage this week!!! still waiting for steel empire to go on sale(i am NOT paying 30$ unless it includes all three versions!!!!)

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I think I'll use my funds for Scarm Kitty, then I'll get Steamworld Dig on the 28th. I haven't played either of those, and I read they're good.

Windy

Windy said:

I'm going to wait for a review on amidas. But other than that its been real slow on 3ds for quite a while. Well there are some great titles just a couple months away. I see Nintendo still has no intentions on blowing open the VC games on 3ds. VC guy in charge YOUR FIRED!

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

I've been waiting for a Scram Kitty discount, so I'll definitely be picking that up this week.

ZachBeacon

ZachBeacon said:

No Child of Light Sale.

No Smash Bros Sale.

The same handful of lousy games are perpetually on sale.

No retail game downloads at all.

No 3DS VC at all.

Two okay looking but overpriced Wii U VC games.

It’s a little sad that the NoA eShop has been so pathetic that the two Wii U VC games makes this a decent week, relatively speaking.

GN004Nadleeh

GN004Nadleeh said:

everyone knows the good games come out at holiday time because only mommy can buys games as presents

Curly_Brace

Curly_Brace said:

@Mega719
well considering it has now been changed to "The iconic action beat 'em up series' second entry arrives on Wii U" after me and rdrunner1178 commented about it...

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

@IceClimbers No, it's pretty much radio silence for Nintendo right now. I can't remember seeing even a handful of articles on Nintendo on the major news sites the last couple of days ... there were probably more Bloodborne-related articles than Nintendo ones. Maybe they kept their PR going, it is not just very effective then.

burninmylight

burninmylight said:

I really should stop reading the Nintendo Download for Europe. All it's doing is setting me up for disappointment later in the week. At least I get to save money!

I did get Scram Kitty with a free $5 voucher from the DDP though.

Iggly

Iggly said:

I'd love to get Scram Kitty, but I won't be able to since the discount ends the day before I return from my trip.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@rjejr

As with W101, I support the game almost as if I made it myself. I feel it is that good, unique, challenging, and bang for your buck. Just be warned that it can get tough in later stages, but that comes with the territory and the learning curve.

BTW, did you ever get Armillo, or are interested on it? I am currently playing Shovel Knight. There are tons of nice eShop games that help fill gaps in your calendar.

Kuksenkov

Kuksenkov said:

I picked up Soon Shine yesterday, reminded me of Solrock and Lunatone. Also seems like a game I could just play for bits of time in the gamepad only with headphones on.

Will probably get Scram Kitty this weekend too.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@sinalefa - Thanks for the feedback. As always you lost me at "challenging". Sad but true. :-(

I don't think I've bought an eShop game since Child of Light, Sony has been pretty good w/ PS+ lately. So good on my PS3 that I have very little interest in purchasing a PS4. And despite my winter whining the Wii U line-up is better than PS4 this holiday. May get a Vita (PS) TV to try out some Vita games, if I can find enough that work. And that SSB red 3DS XL looked promising.

I am looking forward to Swords & Soldiers 2, that will be a Day 1 for me.

If Nintendo ever gets a PS+ like "Nintendo eSelects" or "Players eChoice" program I'm there. :-)

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@rjejr

I thought so, but I would rather tell you the truth than con you into buying the game, as good as I think it is. It won't mean anything if you can't play it. Maybe you can dig Armillo as I did not find it that hard.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@sinalefa - I was pretty close on armillo a few times, but those graphics are a bit too ugly. I just NOW remembered I need to get Guacamele (can't spell that either.) And Stick it to the Man looks fun and unique - I was a big fan of Psychonauts way back when.

Of course I just DL Dragon's Crown for PS3 so that should keep me busy for a little while. I didn't even know we were getting the PS3 version until about 2 hours ago. And I really want to play Papa & Yo (from the 99c sale). And Sly 4. After my PS+ ends after Thanksgiving I'll probably be spending more money on the eShop. Unless I spend it all on amiibo :-)