Nintendo Download: 29th May (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Mario Kart 8, Ittle Dew, Badgers defying gravity, Mega Man and more

It's that time again, North America, as we go through the download treats on the way to the eShop stores. A certain Wii U retail game is likely to steal the headlines, but there are also some promising new download-only titles and enticing Virtual Console games, along with a few discounts. Let's get to it.

Missed the European Download Update earlier this week? Don't panic! The details are right here.

Wii U eShop

Ittle Dew (Ludosity, $9.99) — Following the adventures of Ittle Dew and her companion Tippsy, this is a top-down adventure with some hints at mature humour. Is draws heavy inspiration from The Legend of Zelda, so much so that the title was once pitched to Nintendo as a game for the iconic series. This will no doubt forge its own identity, and we'll dive in for our review.

Gravity Badgers (Wales Interactive, $4.99) — The first of three confirmed titles from this developer, here we have a gravity physics puzzler somewhat reminiscent of Angry Birds Space, but with a whole load of attitude, mullet rock and even boss fights. It can certainly be fun, and earned a solid recommendation in our Gravity Badgers review.

Wii U Virtual Console

Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (Bandai Namco, $6.99) — Namco's mascot may not have had much love recently, but this Game Boy Advance platformer gets another chance to shine on Nintendo's home console. We were big fans of this title, awarding it 9/10 in our Klonia: Empire of Dreams review.

Wii U Retail Download

Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo, $59.99) — Available from 30th May, the wait finally ends this week. A new Mario Kart is always a big event on any Nintendo hardware, and this Wii U entry is no exception. Gorgeous visuals and presentation are accompanied by refined, exceptional racing, with exciting tracks and new ideas such as Mario Kart TV and anti-gravity thrown in; the online's pretty sweet, too. You can read our recommendation in our Mario Kart 8 review.

Luv Me Buddies Wonderland (O2 Games, $19.90) — This is a collection of mini games targeting young children.

Wii U eShop Permanent Discount

LEGO The Hobbit (Warner Bros., $39.99 from 2nd June, originally $49.99)

3DS Virtual Console

Mega Man Xtreme 2 (Capcom, $4.99) — Mega May draws to a close with the second Xtreme Game Boy Color title, as you take on the role of Mega Man X and Zero in order save the souls of the world — or something of utmost importance, in any case. We'll bring you our review soon.

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

Pushmo (Nintendo, $4.69 until 13th June, normally $6.99)

Crashmo (Nintendo, $5.99 until 13th June, normally $8.99)

There you have it, North American gamers. Let us know what you're planning to pick up in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (356 votes)

Ittle Dew (Wii U eShop)

15%

Gravity Badgers (Wii U eShop)

Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (Wii U Virtual Console)

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U retail download)

38%

Luv Me Buddies Wonderland (Wii U retail download)

LEGO The Hobbit (Wii U retail download permanent discount)

Mega Man Xtreme 2 (3DS Virtual Console)

Pushmo (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Crashmo (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Nothing for me this week

23%

Please login to vote in this poll.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

Solid week overall. Not downloading anything though due to lack of cash. Mario Kart 8 is on my bday list.

steamhare

steamhare said:

I thought gravity badgers and klonoa were already released in the US. I must have read the european weekly download and thought it was last week's.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

MK8 as soon as I can get it to download. Can't wait to hand the controllers over to the boys and watch them go crazy. Maybe this weekend I will sneak in a moment or 2 for myself to work on beating the different cups

Romeo

Romeo said:

still waiting for Shantae and the Pirate's Curse release.. eu though :/

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

Ugh, after all the sweet discounts Europe got, I was hoping we might , too...
Well, whatevs. I'll get Mario Kart, Ittle Dew in the future, and probably the pushmo/crashmo discounts.

PHDragoon

PHDragoon said:

Nothing for me to Download this week. Getting the physical version of Mario Kart 8 though...

ikki5

ikki5 said:

I would have rathered Minish Cap..... Oh well, I'm spending enough on Mario Kart :D

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

I'm downloading Mrga Man Xtreme 2, I might download Klonoa: Empire of Dreams since I've never played it before and I might check out Ittle Dew and I'm picking up my copy of Mario Kart 8 tomorrow morning.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Voted for Mario Kart 8, but getting the physical copy. Would love it if you guys would add that in the option. Just have it be one choice say (digital download OR retail copy.)

But other games on list (MMX2, Gravity Badgers, etc) look fun and might be worht a download as well.

rdrunner1178

rdrunner1178 said:

Already got Mario Kart physical copy paid for, so I guess I'll grab a $20 eshop card at Gamestop when I pick it up. Ittle Dew, Klonoa, Gravity Badgers all look good. Nice week.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Sweet Wii U week. I'll download Klonia since I never played the orignal version, Ittly Dew out of interest, and Mario Kart 8 if the line too long at Nintendo World for the limited edition RSVP.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

I want that sweet red box that MK8 comes in, so I voted Ittle Dew. Will be downloading it this evening.

ToonLink795

ToonLink795 said:

I'm getting Ittle Dew finally after a long 7 to 8 month wait. Then Mario Kart 8 for me tomorrow. I may also check into see if Klonoa: Empire of Dreams is worth getting.

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

I'm not downloading Mario Kart 8 but I'm buying it @ Target. I'm not sure what free game I'll pick yet. Either Pikmin 3 or Windwaker. Does anyone know how much space either takes up?

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

Ittle Dew where were you in March or April?
My gaming will ALL be MK8 starting tomorrow!
I want you, but no reason to get you today...maybe this summer when there is another slow spot in the WiiU schedule.

dumedum

dumedum said:

Ittle Dew is another cool console exclusive for Wii U :) they just keep coming now.

sevex

sevex said:

Anyone know if Mario Kart 8 is $59.99 in Canada? I'm sorta expecting $64.99.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Nothing for me in the download sector, but I can't wait to pick up my Mario Kart 8 pre-order tomorrow morning! :D

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

FINALLY I can get Xtreme 2! I had been waiting such a long time for it to come to the 3DS VC, and then when Capcom revealed the rest of the release dates...it was going to be another four weeks. Figures that the one I'd looked forward to most gets released last, but at least it's coming now! I'll also get a boxed copy of Mario Kart 8 soon.

JustinH

JustinH said:

This might be the best Wii U week ever. 3DS isn't bad either — those are two excellent games getting discounts!

Ittle Dew for me, as I'm getting MK8 physical.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Great week overall. I will get physical MK8 and I am curious about Ittle Dew.

Getting Crashmo as well.

SDDMN

SDDMN said:

Mario Kart 8 at midnight for me, then I'll get Pikmin 3 at least a week after that once Club Nintendo registers 8 on my account.

AENIGMA

AENIGMA said:

Looks like Treasurenauts isn't going to be released in May, like Nintendo said it would :(

smikey

smikey said:

@ToonLink795

Pac man is Namco's mascot & always has been I don't understand how Nintendolife or anyone else can suggest otherwise.
Klonoa even has the pac man logo on his hat which surely means he ranks below him.
it's a good game all the same but he'll never be as successful as namco's real mascot.

gatorboi352

gatorboi352 said:

Why didn't Nintendo release the eShop version of MK8 a week early like they did with WWHD? Why do they never stick with anything new they try?

Shy_Guy

Shy_Guy said:

Nothing again for me. I'm getting the physical copy tomorrow,can't wait!! :)

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

I was hoping to see Arkham Origins at $19.99 like in the EU. Guess that means nothing for me this week.

Syragar

Syragar said:

@AENIGMA Yeah. I feel the same. =( The two download titles I am really looking forward to are Treasurenauts and Shantae: Pirate's Curse. It seems they keep getting pushed back. Shantae still says TBA, but they really need to update Treasurenauts so it no longer says May 2014.

Webby-sama

Webby-sama said:

Was hoping we'd get some Capcom happy discount time but seems it's at least not happening this week. Would trade Mega May for it.

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

Ittle Dew, Klonoa, MMXtreme2, and a physical copy of MK8 for me this week. I really wish we got the Mysterious Murasame Castle like EU got though :(

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

Since I'm getting a physical copy of Mario Kart 8, Klonoa is the download winner for me. Ittle Dew sounds pretty interesting though, so I'll look into that one as well.

Dreamz

Dreamz said:

I'll be giving Gravity Badgers a try (and pretend all the text is read by Randall). No need for MK8 since I'll be getting a physical copy of it.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Was really hoping for the Batman game sales. Surprised about the amount of people wanting Ittle Dew. I wonder if they've read the reviews on the PC version?

allav866

allav866 said:

@SavoirFaire Can't say I'm surprised that NoA neglected another popular VC release that's in other countries, but I've been curious about Klonoa for a while now, and even without that, I'm gonna be busy with Mario Kart 8 and Wii Party U anyways. I hope Minish Cap will see an NA release within the next 2 weeks, though.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Awaiting S&TPC. I love Mega Man, but I have Wii VC ver.s of 2-5 of the Classic series, so the Mega Man experience is available to me, just not portable yet. When I get another points card, I'll be going after MM V/Xtr/Xtr2 probably. But, since I already have MM titles, I wanna get Shantae first.

WiiULoveSquid

WiiULoveSquid said:

Klonoa!! Yes! Almost more exited for that than MK8. Hope a lot of ppl download Klonoa so we can see a revival of this character.

HyperSonicEXE

HyperSonicEXE said:

Hm. I'll need to see some gameplay vids before snagging Klonoa.

Anyway, fair word of caution about Xtreme 2:
Many deathtraps. And final boss does some pretty frequent instant-deathing as well.

blaze8937

blaze8937 said:

Definitely getting x2 been waiting a while for it to come out. Might get crashmo since I have the first one and it was pretty fun. But I can't wait to get mk8 tomorrow : D (getting it physical)

netroz

netroz said:

I hoped to see RE:Revelations on the discounts since it was in Europe :( guess I'll have to wait... in any case I'll be getting Fire Emblem or Kid Icarus this week now that I saved some money

Smooty

Smooty said:

OH MY GOD ITTLE DEW IS OUT???????
They never announced a release date!!!
grr... now i'll be poor between this and MK8

3DSfan134

3DSfan134 said:

Get ready! Start your engines! 3.....2......1....GO!!!!!!!!!! (MK8 on retail, including the black Wii U, Mario Wii Wheel and Mario Wii MotionPlus for me.) Well, bring a cake for me because I have a birthday and MK8 to play with!

Mega719

Mega719 said:

I was going to vote for Ittle Dew but assumed everyone would just pick MK8

eichs22

eichs22 said:

Guess I'll bite on downloading Mario Kart 8. It'll be the first retail game I download. I'll then get Pikmin 3 as part of the deal.

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

Dang, MK8 will be mine soon, so will WWHD on account of the promotion for MK8. Oh, Klonoa will be mine, too. I'll wait for a review of Ittle Dew. Man, what an awesome week!

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I voted Little Dew. Been playing it on my Ouya. It's an awesome Zelda clone. I'm getting the disc version of MK8.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

Waiting for the review of little Dew, but I would DL Klonoa first anyway. Getting my boxed copy of MK8 first thing tomorrow. :D
Shame I have all the games you can get free :/... I have no idea what to get a second time.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Klonoa and Megaman Xtreme.

And Mario Kart but retail obviously (digital retails are a steal)

SuperMikey

SuperMikey said:

@shigulicious I've only played Pushmo but Crashmo seems like it's better imo. If you plan on getting the first one though, I'd just wait for Pushmo World.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@morphballer Every single one of us will be picking up Mario Kart 8 on disc I am sure.

Anyone else think it's strange that Super Mario Kart (SNES) didn't appear on the North American Wii U eShop today? Granted we are all excited for MK8, but the original SNES classic is already available in Europe. The Wii U Virtual Console seems to be on life support.

SuperMikey

SuperMikey said:

@Twilight_Crow Get a replacement for the one you can sell the highest. ;) Of course if you even want to sell the physical copy (or if you even got physical copies XD)

SuperMikey

SuperMikey said:

@3DSfan134 HAPPY BIRTHDAY 3DSFAN!!! I hope you have an AWESOME time with your new Wii U with Mario Kart 8 as well as the rest of the day itself!! :D

SuperMikey

SuperMikey said:

@HyperSonicEXE You should say spoiler alert bro. It sounds more like you were gonna say that it sucked or that it's short. Some people might wanna go blind into it.

SuperMikey

SuperMikey said:

Nothing on this list probably. Anyone got any recommendations for some great eshop games? 3DS or Wii U, doesn't really matter.

joey302

joey302 said:

great week but i still can't figure nintendo out....why wouldn't they post the snes mario kart and tie it into the promotion with mk8 release? I wouldn't even ask this question if snes mario kart is already available in the europe and japan eshop.......anyway mk8 on disc for me and grabbing WWHD for free and Little Dew bringing up the rear!! Last thought....will we EVER see a thursday with more than one wii u vc release????

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Already got Pushmo and Crashmo last night, and I'm getting Mario Kart 8 in physical form tomorrow after work.

So I'll be downloading Klonoa, Mega Man Xtreme 2, and (possibly) Ittle Dew.

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Mr_Mojo_Risin said:

I'm getting Mario Kart 8 physical (HYPE!!!!!!) with a free Pikmin 3 download. if I can, I might just get Klonoa, but I REALLY need to download Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga pretty soon.

Smooty

Smooty said:

Nintendo is pissing me off alot.... They are not releasing some games here in Mexico...
first.. photos with mario on the 3DS
Now... this week on the Wii U in our Eshop we got ALL the games same as North America except ITTLE DEW
i really wanted that game!!!! why isn't it there? >.> sorry for complaining so much but this is stupid.. atleast i want to know whats happening there!

JaxxRaxor

JaxxRaxor said:

My god, my first Wii U game in months will be Mario Kart 8. Getting it from Gamestop tomorrow morning!

Windy

Windy said:

Dang you Nintendo raises fist for tempting me again with another sale. (Pushmo and Crashmo)

greeeco

greeeco said:

I'm surprised by the amount of people downloading Mario Kart 8. Physical copies will always hold a place in my heart... and my shelf

PJR0cks

PJR0cks said:

Well just coughed up 74$ for MK8 on the eShop, I mean I don't want to complain because I'm getting a free game but still, with these prices, this will be the last game I buy for the whole summer season! (No it won't)

Firoy

Firoy said:

@Jampie I heard that Nintendo decides where to release the games, so it might be their fault. I also was looking to buy this game, too bad, it looks interesting.

Firoy

Firoy said:

@HaThready I was looking for it this morning but could not find it. It's a shame that Nintendo did not released this game here.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Physical copies will always hold a place in my heart... and my shelf

You gotta use a disc? Thats like a baby's toy!