SEGA Confirms Western Release Dates and Details of 3D Classics Range

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Rejoice, retro fans!

We've been aware of the 3D range of retro remakes from SEGA for a good while, splashing the cash on our Japanese unit while waiting for their eventual localisation. Of course, that's not an option for everyone, so the pleasing news is that SEGA has now confirmed release details for both Europe and North America, with a total of eight games all arriving on the 3DS eShop this year; they're all priced $5.99/€4.99/£4.49 respectively.

Without further preamble, below are the release dates.

28th November:

3D Space Harrier
3D Super Hang-On

5th December:

3D Sonic the Hedgehog
3D Altered Beast

12th December:

3D Ecco The Dolphin
3D Galaxy Force II

19th December:

3D Shinobi III
3D Streets of Rage

Now that the prices and dates are confirmed, which of these are you planning to pick up?

Reala

Reala said:

Sonic. SoR and Shinobi 3 are all definite buys for me might get space harrier too

VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason said:

Awesome! Wish they were cheaper though, cause the four I want will cost me $20+, and there are just too many games I want right now to sacrifice $20.
Anyway, glad they now have a real version of the first sonic, cause that GG one wasn't cuttin' it.
Also, the Wii U could use these. It needs as close as it can get to some good VC games.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

I don't play handhelds, I have a Wii u! Any chance you could sent some classics my way Sega!?! Bit gutted I can't play these =(

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

This is fantastic news. The first Sonic is one of my all-time favorite platformers. Playing it in 3D is going to be a nice twist.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

At zeushatred last!!!!!!!

Can't wait for December 19th, 2 best games in the range on one day

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Huh. 3d Classics of the sega genesis and arcade are priced at $6. And considering that the genesis and the sega arcade games on the virtual console costs about $8, that's a pretty good deal!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I will probably get Sonic / Shinobi / SoR. (Think I want the steam punk shmup as well never played it).

Rather have Gunstar Heroes / Alien Soldier / musha though.

These have a fair price unlike Nintendo's or Capcom's zero effort NES stuff. (I would have more Konami if they put effort in like Twinbee).

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Thank you Sega, indeed! All 8 titles for me!:)

@Windy: I bet you're excited too, dude. Will you be grabbing all 8 3D classics as well?:)

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Very good news indeed. I want the first batch and Sonic. Only getting SoR if they kept the 2 player co op.

meltendo

meltendo said:

I would have died if the original Phantasy Star games were on that list (one can dream, no?)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@KeeperBvK Something on here about it I cannot find. (Its horizontal scrolling though.) and it isn't out in Japan so I dunno anything else. (If you know the name of it you can more than likely find the article on here).

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Well, I sure wish it was sooner than the end of next month, but I'm not complaining. I will be picking up every last one of these. Cannot wait!

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Are these games going to have save states or save anythings? I already have these games on two collections and though I really do appreciate them remaking them in 3D, I can't put money into them if I can't even save my game.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Streets of Rage is the only one that really interests me, so I'll most likely get that. It's very good that SEGA is releasing such quality retro games at a very fast rate, unlike another company that I know of...

Morph

Morph said:

Woo hoo, gonna get at least 4 of those space harrier, sonic, Galaxy force and SOR

allav866

allav866 said:

I'm glad Nintendo released 3D Classics Kid Icarus and Kirby's Adventure, as well as Xevious, TwinBee, ExciteBike and (ugh...) Urban Champion, but I kinda hope Nintendo can decide whether they want to make more based on the success of the 3D Sega classics.
Definitely getting Sonic. As for the others, they'll be new experiences for me, but I'm mostly intrigued by Ecco the Dolphin.

YUXLOA

YUXLOA said:

My experiences from playing the Japanese versions:

Space Harrier, Super Hang-On and Galaxy Force II are all great ports
Tons of extras and the 3D actually adds to the gameplay. Well worth the money.

Ecco The Dolphin, Shinobi III and Streets of Rage are pretty much straight up ports.
The 3D is pretty much on the same level as Kirby's Adventure 3D and the only things added are different difficulty modes.
Ecco plays really smoothly with the circle pad. If you've never played them before, they're a good place to start.

Sonic the Hedgehog and Altered Beast are the worst of the whole set.
Altered Beast is the mediocre genesis port not the great arcade version and Sonic is extremely bare bones.
The mobile port of Sonic is way better, tons more features and extras. The 3D classic has none of that.

gamingreal

gamingreal said:

Hm sonic and streets of rage or a dead cert but since you have to buy ninty credit in £15 and £25 i guess il pick up a 3rd one,
If Microsoft can sell pocket money amounts of credit in store why of all people don't Nintendo do that???

gamingreal

gamingreal said:

Ahh but there lies the problem I don't have a card or bank account, as of yet I've had no need for a bank account and the banks make it difficult to get account if you don't have a passport or drivers licence.

Vriess

Vriess said:

Getting Sonic and Ecco. Maybe SoR, but I'm hoping that SoR 2 and 3 wil get the 3D treatment as well!

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

I'm getting them all and I don't like Altered Beast. Keep these up, Sega!

Only hopefully if they make more they don't take as long to come out.

Worthy

Worthy said:

I hope the Sonic 1 will be the updated version from ios that contained Tails, Knuckles, time trial and other extras because that was a good idea, but trying to control it on a tablet/phone ruins it.

Cesco

Cesco said:

Gosh, we have to wait another entire month to get the first two titles :-(

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Hopefully the next line includes OutRun and Revenge Of Shinobi. I'm kind of surprised they weren't included here.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

Love the idea of this... But there isn't one game in this particular list that I'm interested in. Space Harrier would be good if the game was good, Sonic will prob be the best of the bunch... Altered Beast / Shinobi III I will forever pass on (yucky physics), and good lord did Ecco age horribly.

Wake me up when 3D Phantasy Star IV shows up - those battles would look awesome. Shining in the Darkness would be cool as well, and it'd be nice to have a reason to give Comix Zone another shot.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

I've always had a soft spot for Altered Beast so I'll be picking that one up for sure. All of the others are a solid maybe except for Ecco and Galaxy Force (never been a fan of those).

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@gamingreal Wow, where do you live? Here in the U.S., it's common for children to get bank accounts cosigned by their parents or guardians. I've never had a passport and didn't get a driver's license until I was 22, yet I've had complete control of my bank accounts since I turned 18.

EDIT: Ah, I see, the U.K. judging by the currency symbol you used. I didn't know they were so strict about it across the pond.

gamingreal

gamingreal said:

Uk, I'm 22 but never had enough reason to get a bank account, I had a account years ago but have long lost the details it only had £5 in it anyway, can't even remember who its with

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@YUXLOA I agree with you on Streets of Rage, but why would you prefer a mobile port of Sonic with no button control? At least get the VC version or get all the classic Sonic games together in "Sonic Mega Collection." To me, it's worth it as an accurate handheld port (unlike the horrible GBA port) with stereoscopic 3D and the additions of the optional spin-dash mode, a suspension point, and an automatically unlocked stage select.

Kevin

Kevin said:

None of them. Now if we got Streets of Rage 2 instead of the original, I would of bought that.

Gnoll

Gnoll said:

@RetroWarrior
No, you aren't. :-(

Also, I think I'll buy Altered Beast. While I know it's bad, I've got too many good memories of playing it on a friend's monochromatic PC sooooooooo many years ago... ;-)

Yosher

Yosher said:

Think I'll be getting Streets of Rage! Always liked that one back in the day. Wonder if it'll support 2 players somehow?

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

@Yosher I believe it has download play for two players. Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure it has it.

Shinobi III will be so awesome, though. Best ninja game ever.

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

I'm not sure which ones to buy. The only one of the bunch that I've played is Sonic the Hedgehog.

HunteROB

HunteROB said:

Can't wait to dwize from my gwave in 3D! And also to have an even better excuse play Shinobi III over and over again, again.

Might give Streets of Rage a proper shot now, I couldn't get into the original in the Sonic Genesis Collection. II and III are some of the best beat-em ups I've ever played, though.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@daggdroppen Steel Empire was never part of this collection - it's not a first-party Sega game, for starters.

It is coming to the 3DS soon, though.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

I think I'll get Super Hang-On and Galaxy Force II eventually. Maybe for Streets of Rage.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Well at least SOMEONE is doing something with 3D classics! I'll probably check some of these out since Sega seems to be the only one willing to delve into 3D classics these days.

Gnoll

Gnoll said:

I bought Ecco on Steam a couple years ago, but I never had the chance to play it very much... maybe this time I will correct my error!!!!

Gnoll

Gnoll said:

Of course Space Harrier ought to be GREAT in 3D... AAAAAAAAARGH!!! Too many good games, too little money!!! :'(

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

3d sonic, streets of rage and altered beast are definate buys for me might even get shinobi 3 glad sega are bringing these to our shores, well done sega maybe nintendo could take note of this and release a few more 3d classics.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Is there some kind of licensing thing with Afterburner 2 that stops that being re released ?

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@RetroWarrior I got the VC Arcade version of Golden Axe and I don't play it. (I like the Revenge of Death Adder). I got most of the VC Arcade stuff and the only one I play is Ghost's n Goblins. I don't like Arcade Altered Beast either (Do like Magician Lord though).

Humphries90

Humphries90 said:

FINALLY! :D

I'll be picking all of them up, probably, except Altered Beast. I thought it was even bad back in the day, never mind now.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Space Harrier, Streets of Rage, Ecco the Dolphin and Altered Beast for me!
And maybe Shinobi....It doesn't look as groovy as Gaiden, but it might give me my Ninja fix until Kid Nikki Radical Ninja U makes it's debut release in NEVERland. ;)

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

The Altered Beast rom looks like the Genesis version and not the graphically superior arcade version... why?!

Windy

Windy said:

Can't wait to get these. I hope sega makes a bundle and continues to add 3d classics.

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

FINALLY. JESUS PLAYING-THE-SPOONS-FOR-A-DANCE CHRIST!!! Its about dadgum time! Getting every one of them.

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

Man... every time Sega makes a classic compilation or retro remake or whatever, they ALWAYS use the original Ecco the Dolphin. The Sega CD version may not have been drastically different, but the audio was a million billion times better. Still... I wouldn't mind giving that game and especially Galaxy Force II another run.

MAB

MAB said:

For my 3DS...
Untitled
Now it is time to blow the dust off this thing thanks to the awesomeness of the SEGS baby ;)

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Space Harrier will probably look awesome in 3D. Always good to get more shooters on my beloved handheld; got three, so far. And I'm a sucker for Shinobi III - easily one of the best action platformers of all time. This will be my third time buying the game: once on Genesis, second time on Wii, and I'm sure I'll give in again, just to have yet another classic gem on my 3DS.

World

World said:

The only thing that would make this better would be if the article's caption said "get ready, retro fans!" But hey, I've never even played Galaxy Force anything so this is great news!

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Streets of Rage would be the choice from those. Even more so Streets of Rage II if that was released as 3D classic.

ericflapjack

ericflapjack said:

Space Harrier, Super Hang-On, Sonic and Ecco for me! :) I love SEGA for doing these and I hope more are on the way.