Rumour: Retro's Wii U Title Is An Entirely New IP

Posted by Damien McFerran

IGN starts the hype

Retro Studios is one of Nintendo's most valuable assets right now, having delivered smash hits in the form of the Metroid Prime Trilogy and Donkey Kong Country Returns. We all know that the company is working on something for the Wii U, and we'll no doubt see what that is at this year's E3. However, no one seems to know exactly what Retro has in development — rumours are circulating that it's another Metroid, a fresh take on a different Nintendo franchise or something completely fresh and new.

That final guess has been given a bit more weight by IGN. During a Super Metroid video, it was mentioned that Retro is working on a brand new title. Check out the video below around the 24 minute mark to hear the comment.

What are your thoughts on this? Are you hoping to see Retro let loose on its own IP, or are you keen to see what the developer can do with Star Fox, F-Zero or some other beloved Nintendo series? Let us know by leaving a comment below.

[via youtube.com, gonintendo.com]

Jamouse

Jamouse said:

I really hope it's a new IP.

Retro is a great studio, so I want to see them step out on Ninty's shadow a little bit and show us what they're really capable of.

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

Id love to see a new IP as much as the next guy but just some random guy at IGN "has heard a rumour" (probably just read Nintendolife speculations in the forums) is not cutting it for me. Sorry but this has no weight to it at all.

I still think its a 33% percent chance each for it being a new metroid / new other nintendo IP / new IP completely.

Lan

Lan said:

Yeah, it's just hearsay. My uncle who works at Nintendo said Retro is working on a Zelda game. Better make an article on it, guys.

Tender_Cutlet

Tender_Cutlet said:

If there's another F-Zero in the pipeline it deserves to be be handled by SEGA.

GX and AX were two of the greatest titles of their generation and short of online play and HD or 3D graphics, GX wouldn't sit out of place in the Wii U or 3DS libraries.

Here's hoping for a new Metroid game in the mould of the Prime series.

LAA

LAA said:

I'm really excited for a new metroid, I hope for Wii U, as a HD metroid and all the things the gamepad could bring to metroid makes me salivate thinking about it, but I hope a 3DS metroid is made eventually too.
If Retro isnt working on metroid, I'll have to say I'll be disappointed as it'll be a long time to wait for a new metroid, but I am also intrigued by a new IP, I just must say it'll have to really blow my mind to think it was more worthwhile than metroid.

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

A new IP could be vital for Nintendo. I love their current IPs and I will definitely buy them, but it's about time they get a new IP.

I'm interested to see what it is if it really is a new IP.

Dan-C

Dan-C said:

A new IP sounds pretty cool to me, but a new Metroid will be amazing. Hopefully in the future we will see a new Donkey Kong game as well.

Kirk

Kirk said:

All I would like to know is why haven't we seen a new Star Fox or F-Zero game announced yet...?

These games really should be a staple in any Nintendo console's library.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

It would be nice if they were working on their own ip, but.......if we dont get a Starfox or F-Zero game on Wii U im gonna karate chop my Wii U in half!!

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

"Star Fox? Star Fox, are you there?! Microsoft has declared war! And has unleashed its dreaded Xbox One system! Our first-party games alone can't do the job...HURRY STAR FOX!"

antonvaltaz

antonvaltaz said:

I'm sure I've read representatives from Retro and/or Nintendo say that they're working on something that "everyone wants them to work on" or something to that effect. My guess, StarFox.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

In Retro I Trust. Though personally I would've preferred Metroid Prime 4 or another edition to one of Nintendo's extremely awesome IPs, I still look forward to whatever it is they're making. E3 can't come around soon enough...

seronja

seronja said:

Well I would like a new IP indeed! But if they are not working on a new IP I hope it will be a new F-zero, Metroid, Geist or Star Fox :-)

Jakurdo

Jakurdo said:

@Scollurio So that leaves a 1% chance of what, Retro going rogue and developing a game exclusive for the Xbox One? :P j/k

But I agree that this isn't really news or even a rumour. He just says "I heard a rumor", not even specifying where he heard it.

And F-Zero? Let Sega make it, they did a fine job on the last one (GX)

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Rumor: Rumor has it, that a rumor has been rumored
I'm not really sure. I honestly think it's Starfox. Miyamoto and his team are the one making a new IP.
I've said this a million times, but Starfox was the most asked for IP for Wii last gen, with F-Zero coming in second. If you had Wii on launch, and for most of last gen, you wanted F-Zero and Starfox because of the GCN.

Lobster

Lobster said:

There was nothing worth writing an article about in that video. That said, I enjoyed watching it and sat all the way through. Super Metroid is a fun game to watch! So... thanks for calling it to my attention, I guess? But it wasn't worth an article.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I'd really love a new IP. I love Nintendo's IPs, but it would be so refreshing to see something totally new instead of the next Mario/Zelda/Metroid etc. I think this night be my most anticipated announcement at E3.

SnackBox

SnackBox said:

Well if they are going with a new IP...Who is going to be working on Metroid?? I have to play the whole series again.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Sorry to go against the grain here but I'd rather have wave race than anything mentioned above. More original than f zero gameplay wise and would look amazing in hd!

arderin64

arderin64 said:

Really, really hope it's a new IP. However I also really, really want a new Metroid. Although I'm sure whatever Retro comes up with will make me very happy.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I don't know; I thought it was Miyamoto making a new IP. I still think the most likely scenario is a new Metroid Prime. The majority of the more credible-sounding rumors seem to support that.

Bryon15

Bryon15 said:

Honestly I would be disappointed if it was a new IP. I wanted star fox. Very much. It's been far too long since the last game.

SuperMinusWorld

SuperMinusWorld said:

As much as I'd like to see Star Fox or Metroid, I really want to see a new IP from this amazing development team. I want to see what they can do when they're not being restricted by the rules of an existing franchise.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

I still want to see what a Nintendo FPS would be like, and given they're kinda like the new Rare, it wouldnt be out of the realm of possible that they made it.

dknintendo

dknintendo said:

if it is a new IP it will be a IP by Miyamoto
if it is not i like the idea of a star tropics game because it will be an action adventure and realistic to appeal to people who like realistic looking games but this retro game must be third person

nik1470

nik1470 said:

Can't wait to see what these guys are cooking up! The fact that Nintendo have been so open about its big titles makes me think a star fox or metroid or f-zero will be shown at the e3 direct.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@ULTRA-64 A new Wave Race would be awesome however I don't think Retro should waist its talents on a racing game. Like some said let Sega do those!

A new IP would be awesome and all but I like to see Retro work its magic on exsisting franchises! I for one rather see Metroid first, DKCR second, and Star Fox last but would love either one of those!

As for the Zelda comment. Nintendo doesn't need Retro to do Zelda. They do fine on their own with that!

Varia01

Varia01 said:

The video won't load on my kindle, so it will be, eh, maybe an hour give it or take before I can watch it. Oh man, something new?! I'm hoping for a new sci-fi series!

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

@Peach64 Not to mention something western.

I really would rather not have another Prime game, at least not right now. A new IP that's exclusive to Nintendo would be amazing (and different since it'll have western origins), and if they made a game with a Nintendo IP, I'd prefer it to be Star Fox or F-zero.

Anyone else cringe when people refer to the Prime series as Metroid?

hydeks

hydeks said:

I would like to see a new IP, Retro is a very talented studio and they could easily make the next great Nintendo IP :) But I feel its probably a DKCR sequel, or more than likely, a Star Fox game. Hopefully, they tell us at E3.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

I'm not expecting much tbqh. while I like Metroid Prime 1 and 2, their two latest games MP3 and DKC:R were both pretty bad.

Tender_Cutlet

Tender_Cutlet said:

@BraveBold5 It would be awesome if someone was commisioned to pick up the baton but I doubt Nintendo would back the franchise with the advertising it would need to sell well. It would probably work better on the 3DS than the Wii U IMO.

Elhijodelrio

Elhijodelrio said:

Good, step into the world of possibilities, new franchises and ip s,hip hip hooray!!!!! They are needed, variety is delicious, same ole thing get bland after a while mario, zelda, ect

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I didn't expect the game that they were working on to turn out to be a new ip. This could be very interesting.

Kifa

Kifa said:

... And I still expect massive disappointment and final blow to WiiU.

Yes, I'm always that positive. :P

Technosphile

Technosphile said:

Glad it's not Metroid (probably will be anyway), mildly disappointed its not that Mach Rider reboot, body is ready for whatever it is.

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

This is hardly anything to go off. According to the way Retro described their new game saying that it has scans and is first person, well, that sounds like Metroid to me. I wouldn't mind a new IP though, in fact, I'd welcome it. I just have a feeling this is going to be Metroid. I imagine the rumors this guy is hearing is from random comments on the internet.

NImH

NImH said:

@expa0 nope. Vetoed. You may not have that opinion. :) DKCR is one of the best old-school platformers I've played in years. Corruption is really great, period.
Retro is on a roll right now and I am super-pumped to hear what their new project is.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

I don't believe this rumour as it contradicts some earlier leaks from Retro

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I want both, honestly. I love metroid and its been 3 years since other m came out. So whether its a 2D handheld entry in the series or a new game in the prime series, i just want more metroid. But a new IP would be sweet as well... If retro is ever truly going to replace Rare, they need to do their own thing too. Rare did great with nintendo franchises given to them like donkey kong and star fox, but where they really excelled was their own stuff like banjo, perfect dark and conker. So i do hope retro puts out something new and awesome to get people talking.

element187

element187 said:

Any and all rumors about Nintendo are false. Nobody keeps a tighter lip locked ship than Nintendo... Whenever i read the word "rumor" and "Nintendo" in the same sentence, I write it off immediately as false. Leaks are intentional affairs, Sony and Microsoft use them to gauge fan reactions, Nintendo on the other hand loves to drop bombs out of no where, its how they always have operated since the NES days.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

Hmm, could be good. But I always worry who own's the IP if Retro was to leave like Rare did. Hate to see something awesome and the IP goes away.

chrisjac123

chrisjac123 said:

@Jamouse I think that Retro studios is awesome but i don't see the need for them to step out of Nintendo shadow. They aren't a different company, they are part of Nintendo.

Gregor

Gregor said:

Uuuuughh... a new IP would be cool and all but horrible timing. We've been waiting over FIVE YEARS for the new Metroid Prime. Just give us the prime and THEN they can brainstorm

mikeyman64

mikeyman64 said:

I don't think it's all too likely that a new Metroid Prime will come out. Looking at how Iwata treated the Prime trilogy in the official Metroid timeline and all, I think Nintendo sees it more as a spin-off series.

That being said, Metroid Prime was probably my favorite Gamecube title, and my second favorite Metroid title next to Super (the GBA games are fantastic too!). So I wouldn't mind at all if we saw more Metroid rather than a new IP.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

Yes! This is great news. I can't wait to find out what this game will turn out to be. If it's something completely new, then I hope it will be a first-person adventure game like the three Metroid Prime games. This is really neat and I anticipate E3.

Mizzah_Tee

Mizzah_Tee said:

@Lan LOL. This article is a bit of a fail.

"Hey, I heard some guys from another website that you probably aleready go to saying something on a podcast you probably already listened to SPECULATING, something that we could also do and have done about Retro's game."

This is just damn lazy...

Ryno

Ryno said:

Don't believe this one at all and I also don't think now is time to invest in a new IP. Nintendo needs to bring something great but something familiar to get the attention of Nintendo fans past and present.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@expa0 Are you serious. Are you...serious. DKCR is the best 2D platformer I've ever played. It has a good amount of challenge with action packed visuals and many collectibles. DKCR is the way 2D platformers should be.

I-U

I-U said:

I'd rather have a new Metroid than anything else. Had this been a discussion for last year's E3, I would've included Raven Blade, but it's come to the point where I really want the next Metroid experience.

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

Only thing disappointing about this is that it could mean that a new Metroid game still isn't even in development. Which is totally bogus.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

What if it turned out to be a really cool & unique FPS? I know Nintendo doesn't really cater to that audience but what if.....

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Metroid Dread!
....Honestly I don't care, we all know the game will be awesome regardless, lol

BATRA

BATRA said:

heard that its a star tropics game for the wii u its a fps game its like farcry for ps3 how i no this is that mynintedonew had some news way back then and nintendolife to got to see the video see if it is any good of a game june 11 we will no then

strongest_link

strongest_link said:

At this point, I'm hoping for either a new Star Fox or a new IP. Retro has too much talent to work on anything a lesser developer could do just as well.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Miyamoto is making the new IP. They wouldn't be making 2 new IPs. Read and use logic, people.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

I'd like an entirely new IP, please.
I can't believe that they've been busy for several years, as they have, on an existing one.
That is, unless it is the new HD Zelda which will take place in a HUMONGOUS world and which is the only IP that I can think of that justifies being in development for more than 3 years. (or is it closer to 5 already... ?)
And besides that, I don't think Nintendo would give them that title to work on anyway, so Zelda is a no as well...

Look, I like a new F-Zero, Wave Race, Donkey Kong or Metroid just as much as the next guy, but it certainly won't harm Nintendo gaining a solid new IP so I'm all for that to be Retro's top priority. Here's hoping E3 2013 will end our anticipation in a positive way...

LightSuitGuy

LightSuitGuy said:

@ompgsag @SparkOfSpirit What's wrong with you guys? I'd love another Prime, even if it wasn't called "Prime" per-say; since the trilogy was neatly wrapped up in Corruption.

Anyways if its a new IP, that's cool. Retro defiantly has the talent to create an original universe with memorable characters, great gameplay, a captivating story, etc.

Emaan

Emaan said:

As much as I want to see a new Star Fox or Metroid game, this new franchise idea sounds great too. :O

Nomad

Nomad said:

I thought they said they were working on something everyone wants? If its an Nintendo IP, then it's likely to be Metroid, Starfox or F-Zero. Personally, I'd like to see something new, though its possible that Nintendo have handed them development of the new Zelda. Guess we'll find out soon.

LonDonE

LonDonE said:

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i want a metroid prime game in glorious HD, no other developer is better suited to making a true next gen game on wii-u which shows all the haters what the wii-u can do,please be a metroid prime game,or better yet metroid dredd, in vain of the prime game play, with a 3ds 2d version, which some how joins with the wii-u version, like fusion and prime1, seriously Nintendo so badly needs a FPS, or FPA, with a fully fledged out multi player, i want a metroid prime game with a proper multi player game mode, come on Nintendo for petes sake

Henmii

Henmii said:

A new IP could be great! Maybe they are finally doing Ravenblade again, the game that got canceled years ago?!

But I doubt it! I guess they are just working on a existing Nintendo IP! Whatever they are doing, I am highly looking forward to it!!