Feature: The Biggest 3DS Games of 2014 - Summer Edition

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Portable delights

We just recently published our updated biggest games coming to the Wii U list, so it's now time to move onto the 3DS. Our Spring edition for the 3DS included plenty of games that have since arrived in stores, and there's also been a significant new reveal following that feature that's hyped fans of pocket monsters.

This time around, then, we have a host of new games to consider. In most cases they're heading to all regions, too, with some pleasing examples courtesy of a change in policy from Atlus, in particular. Two eShop titles make the grade, too, though Siesta Fiesta and Moon Chronicles do drop out in favour of additional retail titles — we're still looking forward to these (episode 2 in the latter case) but there are more confirmed big-hitters now on the way.

Let's get to it, then, our updated list of what we consider to be the biggest games still coming to 3DS in 2014.

With a release date finally pinned down, the portable début for the much-loved franchise will have the task of setting the scene for its HD sibling, in addition to standing up in its own right. It'll have its own unique stages, 60fps performance in 3D, and some unique modes including Smash Run. We'll be bringing you some impressions on this portable iteration soon.

This caused a wave of excitement when it was announced, as it'll bring the 3D remake treatment to what some consider to be two of the best entries in the franchise. It'll utilise the engine and various features seen in Pokémon X & Y, and will surely be one of the hottest releases on any platform this Holiday season.

When the original title was released we hoped that, along with other notable examples, it would start a full-on resurgence of rhythm music games. That hasn't quite transpired, sadly, but this new entry will include new modes, a huge number of songs and more fan-service than can be reasonably expected. Time to dig out a great pair of headphones.

Being developed by Sanzaru Games, this will be an entirely separate experience from the Wii U game and will also introduce new playable character Sticks, a 'jungle badger' that can throw a boomerang. It'll follow the more traditional 2D Sonic formula seen in previous entries on DS and 3DS, though will have character swapping and some tricky puzzles to tackle.

The first Persona Q title on Nintendo hardware, with the surprising recent announcement that it'll be coming to Europe as well as North America this year. It will blend characters from Persona 3 & 4 with gameplay influenced by the Etrian series, with a visual overhaul also accompanying the IP's arrival on 3DS.

This promises to be an evolution in the popular series, and the 3D in the branding doesn't simply refer to the game engine or the fact you can pan the camera around — it actually references a Minecraft-esque ability to adjust landscapes in 3D blocks, so you can raise and lower sections to create hills, dips and various other aspects. We were relatively impressed with this and recently posted some rather thorough first impressions.

This is a slightly odd case as this is a localisation of Harvest Moon: Connect to a New Land that was previously released in Japan, but has had to change its name due to Western publisher XSEED not having the rights to use the Harvest Moon name. Nevertheless, it's a promising title that places a great deal of attention on refining the series' formula and implementing various connectivity options between players. Check out our interview with Head of Development Yoshifumi Hashimoto to learn more about this one.

An RPG co-developed by Level-5 and Brownie Brown (the latter now 1-Up Studios), this promises to be a lengthy and charming adventure in which you incorporate some customisation and sim elements with standard role-playing fare. Up to four players will also be able to play together online, and this was given a particularly big push by the Nintendo Treehouse team during E3.

Already available in Japan as a retail title, Capcom is bringing this one to the West as an eShop-only release. It includes the first three games in the series, but with stereoscopic 3D visuals and sharper overall graphics; in that respect it could be a nice trip down memory lane for those familiar with the original games, or a perfect introduction for those jumping in for the first time.

Perhaps a long time coming, but this is now down for a 'late Summer' arrival. WayForward's much anticipated third game in this series is also coming to the Wii U eShop, but our time with the 3DS build has given us an appreciation for how those lovely pixels pop in 3D. This promises to be a sizeable adventure, with new moves and changes to the formula to keep things fresh.

So there you have it, ten games that we think represent some of the best of what's still coming to 3DS this year, all set to arrive before 2015; an honourable mention for European gamers is Shin Megami Tensei IV, and also (updated thanks to reader comments) Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, which will finally arrive in North America. There are a number of other titles coming, of course, so check out our lengthy guides to some of the best retail and eShop games on the way this year, too.

Let us know what you think of this 3DS list and by all means point out those we've missed, while you can vote for your favourite in the poll below.

What's your most anticipated 3DS game of 2014? (447 votes)

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS

43%

Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

16%

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call

Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth

Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley

Story of Seasons

Fantasy Life

15%

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy

Shantae And The Pirate's Curse

My choice isn't on the list

Please login to vote in this poll.

JimJam707

JimJam707 said:

Got my Fantasy Life preorder down, it reminds me of Dragon Quest IX before they turned it into a JRPG from the original design of an action rpg. Not surprising seeing as they are both Level-5 games.

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

Pokemon, Smash, Shantae, and Ace Attorney are the only one I currently plan on buying. The rest don't really interest me. Maybe Theatrhythm and Harvest Moon though.

shibbyduckegg

shibbyduckegg said:

I'm super excited for Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, Fantasy Life, Persona Q, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse and Super Smash Bros. but nowhere near excited as I am for the Ace Attorney trilogy. I played the first game on DS a few weeks ago but decided I'd wait for the 3DS remake of two and three rather than buying them pre-owned.

Everything I've mentioned is day one for me, with Sonic Boom coming if reviews are good.

Windy

Windy said:

Look at Fantasy Life! Can't wait for that one. I might get one of the Harvest Moons as well but it depends on which one has the best online co-op

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

such a step down from last year's lineup, the two Phoenix Wright titles are the only ones I'm looking forward to

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I'm really looking forward to Fantasy Life in particular, but if I can, I'll be getting most of these games. It'll be a good fall/winter.

Also, I think Layton vs Wright deserves an honorable mention for America.

Tops

Tops said:

I voted Fantasy Life because I thought it might never happen. Needless to say I am stoked!

Also getting: Harvest Moon: TLV, Shantae, and Pokémon. Maybe Story of Seasons. Smash is for the U though :)

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

SUPER SMASH BROOTHERS ! FOR THE 3 DEES! Pre order placed!
So stoked for that game! I'm just gonna draw some Smash and play some GBA games until we're there! And of course, speculate!

I might buy Pokemanz in January, unless another epic game comes out then. I loved third gen SO MUCH. Will have to get this one.

Zesu

Zesu said:

Azure Striker Gunvolt is my most antecipated game, to be honest, but Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney is another one missing from that list. :P

VIIIAxel

VIIIAxel said:

Smash Bros, definitely. Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire comes in at a close second, though. I'm a sucker for anything Pokemon.

BetweenTheTrees

BetweenTheTrees said:

Harvest Moon hands down. i love pokemon sure, but something about a harvest moon game just makes me smile.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Not sure I'll be buying anything new on my 3DS this year, although there are games I want to catch up on. I was going to get Smash Bros, but pretty sure I'll have a Wii U by the end of the year so I'll pick it up there.

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

3ds has a tough year to follow after last year. I may pick up fantasy life and persona at some point, but they aren't day 1 buys for me. I will pick up smash for wii u, but for some reason I just don't see smash as a portable series. Maybe I just prefer losing in the comfort of my own home, and not on the road...

Hero-of-WiiU

Hero-of-WiiU said:

Smash 3ds is only one for me. Still working on Pokemon X ever since I got it for free in March.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Brownie Brown... aren't those the same folks who worked on Magical Vacation and Magical Starsign? Nice to see they're still there!

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

@SavoirFaire You do know that you can play your portable at home.....

I keep forgetting that summer break is so near ^_^ I have enough time to start my Pokemon Y nuzlocke and finish it to waste time until October 3!

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

Even counting Smash (which is early October) and Pokémon, I do think the 3ds Christmas line up is deeply lacking. They could do with an extra game announcement (Mmhemjora's Msk Cough). Otherwise Wii U all the way for me this year.

Xilef

Xilef said:

@Kaze_Memaryu They have been renamed 1-UP Games now and have turned into a support studio within Nintendo now though. Fantasy Life was made before that happened.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

Curtain call, Fantasy Life, Harveroas on Wii U instead. Been playing my Vita over the last month instead of 3DS, but looks like that'll change starting September.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Curtain Call gets my vote. Also getting Smash, Shantae and maybe Fantasy Life and Phoenix Wright.

Mus1cLov3r

Mus1cLov3r said:

I can't choose just one! :P Definitely looking foward to Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, and Super Smash Bros 4. (^•^)/

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I have to vote for Super Smash Bros. 3DS. I would be lying to myself if I didn't. The only other 3DS game I'm interested in is Pokemon Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire. I haven't decided which version I would want yet. I was thinking about getting Shantae for 3DS, but when the Wii U version was announced, I think I might go for that version.

Gold

Gold said:

Pokemon, Smash, and maybe Fantasy Life. I somehow knew at the beginning of the year that this would be a slow gaming year.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

Smash and Pokemon of course. Will get Shantae eventually too, and no, I'm not getting the Wii U version. Gotta support those 3DS indies.

Iggly

Iggly said:

Can't wait to buy Persona Q, it'll definitely be an insta-buy for me once I have the money.

paul1983190

paul1983190 said:

is just me are most of these games on this list are not summer games. It is odd when it is the biggest games of the summer 2014 are comming out fall or winter.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Obviously Smash Bros is my most anticipated 3DS release this year.

BUT, I'm pretty excited for Fantasy Life and Persona Q as well. Usually these are not the kinds of games I play, but Idk, there's something about Fantasy Life that just looks really fun to me. And Persona Q, well, it looks great, what can I say?

I'll also be picking up Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby, Professor Layton vs Pheonix Wright, and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. Though I'm not really as excited for these games.

Tops

Tops said:

@paul1983190 Apparently NL post an updated list every quarter and it's still games "of 2014." I believe "Summer Edition" just means games coming out from now onward through the year.

FragRed

FragRed said:

I would definetely get a fair few of these titles, though perhaps not so much the Super Smash Bros game as I am getting it on the Wii U. However I really cannot afford any until probably next year. Far too many other awesome games I have to buy from Nintendo.

MAB

MAB said:

It's good that the 3DS has nothing interesting... Gives me more funds to throw at all the awesome Wii U games ;)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@faint My favourites so far are Kokuga / Yumi's Odd Odyssey (Sayonara Umihara Kawase) / Steamworld Dig / Retro City Rampage DX / Fractured Soul. VC - Donkey Kong '94 / Castlevania 3 / RECCA / 3D Galaxy Force 2 / 3D Shinobi 3.

The Nintendo stuff I would be fine with if the difficulty was better. (And platformers were 60fps - The GBA games I have got on the Wii U I like basically all of them).

I would rather have that Buck Rogers game than anything on this list.

HK-47

HK-47 said:

I'll go for Smash Bros., Shantae, Gunvolt (which needs to be on this list), and maybe the Ace Attorney Trilogy. This year hasn't been as good as 2013, but it's not bad at all.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

Persona Q, smash bros and pokemon alpha sahpire are on my 3ds list this year.But to be honest compared to the wiiu's lineup, this year the 3ds is terrible in my opinion.

skjia

skjia said:

@sinalefa I'm glad at least somebody else voted for Theatrhythm. lol. Are the Shantae games as good as everyone says?

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Mr_Mojo_Risin said:

As of right now my main priority is pokemon Omega Ruby. After that would probably be smash 3DS. Not sure whether I'll get that or Wii U version first. Then I'll be getting Fantasy Life fo' sho. What sucks is that I believe ALL of these games come out in October. RIP wallet. :/
Everything else I don't need to get ASAP, so I'm not that worried. I still need to play all those Shantae games. : /

Edit: Nvm ORAS comes in November... That probably switches the priority of Fantasy Life and ORAS for me.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

Put Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney on that list, please. Yes, yanks are people, too! [/is one]

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@skjia

To be totally honest, I haven't played any of them. I always procrastinate getting the available ones, and whenever I want to get them they announce another one! The same happens to me with DenpaMen.

But I have played A Boy and his Blob, Ducktales Remastered and Mighty Switch Force HD and enjoyed all three, so I am pretty sure I will get the Pirate Curse, I just don't know when.

Kevlar44

Kevlar44 said:

It's Smash Bros. but that's to boring to vote for, i gave the nod to Shantae.

thehoppypoppy

thehoppypoppy said:

Pokemon Omega Ruby, Fantasy Life, and MAYBE Story of Seasons for me. I'll get Smash Bros. for the Wii U. I'll probably have to wait until December for birthday/Christmas though. :-/

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

These are upcoming titles I’m looking forward to for 3DS:

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Final Fantasy Explorers

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth

Fantasy Life

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Pokemon: Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

Bravely Second

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 - Break Record
Untitled

Tales of the World: Reve Unitia (hopefully this one made it to NA & Europe)
Untitled

Also hopefully we get some Dragon Quest VII news in 2015 or so too.

darkfenrir

darkfenrir said:

I'll be getting Theatrhythm, Fantasy Life and Pokemon Omega Ruby and Story of Seasons, I'm hoping Story of Seasons will come out during December... so it won't clash with my other games I'm planning to buy, but I kind of doubt it now v_v

AVahne

AVahne said:

Don't care for Smash Bros. on 3DS, since I'm getting the Wii U version anyway (the PROPER version in me eyes).
Most excited for Omega Ruby. I might pick Fantasy Life, and perhaps Persona Q, though I'm gonna work on finishing Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden before I pick that up.

And finally...hoping for at least an announcement for Final Fantasy Explorers' release in America. Don't care if I have to wait til 2015 to get the game, I just want an announcement this year.

f_zul

f_zul said:

SMT4 and Persona Q. Also looking forward to Yokai Watch and Bravely Second.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Dang, I keep forgetting EU doesn't have SMTIV yet.

When it comes out, BUY IT. That game is a masterpiece.

Great_Gonzalez

Great_Gonzalez said:

Some great looking games there :D am worried about the harvest moon ones coming to Europe though :(

I find it quite funny that SquareEnix give us a game like theaterhythm with all its fan service and nostalgia but never release a main series FF on Nintendo platforms...

worldstraveller

worldstraveller said:

@ErnisDy Yes, it's confirmed coming to europe, 26th september.
bundle edition, I think it's quite a possibility.

Now on subject, I will try to get Fantasy Life and Phoenix Wright Trilogy(it seems a fine way to start the series)

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Lets see...I'll be getting:

Smash 3D (and U for Christmas)
Pokémon Alpha Sapphire
Fantasy Life
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call
Story of Seasons

I'll be keeping an eye on:
Harvest Moon the Lost Valley
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
Not as bad as it looked earlier this year no 2013, but hey this isn't to bad especially considering Fantasy Life is coming out here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAB

MAB said:

@The_Ninja The lackluster 3DS version doesn't interest me... I would rather just wait for the superior Wii U Smash ;)

Lobster

Lobster said:

There are some really good games coming to 3DS, I count at least five from that list I'll be getting, but just like the Wii U list it's a drought until September!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@midnafanboy

Wii U (Of which in a month I have played more than 90% of pretty casually as well maybe a little bit more than I normally would).
Sonic Lost World
Donkey Kong Country : Tropical Freeze (Too soon thought didn't like it as much as the Wii one - they could have increased the difficulty or waited longer)
NSLU (They can make good levels they just choose not to most of the time).
Super Mario 3D World (What is good about it is the variety even the bits I wasn't liking as much they didn't last long).
Scram Kitty
(I will Nano Assault Neo I suspect but haven't bought it yet)

Wii

Donkey Kong Country Returns
ExciteBots - Trick Racing
Sin & Punishment 2
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
Nights Journey of Dreams
House of the Dead Overkill
Warioland : Shake Dimension
Castle of Shikigami III
Milestone Shooting Collection 2
Zack and Wiki - Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
A Boy and His Blob
Links Crossbow Training (Only a few parts but I really do like those parts).
Data East Arcade Classics
Newer Super Mario Bros Wii (Mod).

Wiiware

Star Soldier R
Castlevania The Adventure : Rebirth
Gradius : Rebirth
Contra : Rebirth
Megaman 9 (Good that the awful sprite flicker can be turned off).
Mr Driller W

Kokuga
Nano Assault Ex
Steam World Dig
Retro City Rampage DX
Yumi's Odd Odyssey
Shinobi
A Link Between Worlds (Spoilt really though by the lack of substance in the dungeons and the bosses being so easy. The dungeons should have been like that tower which doing with the green tunic was pretty good. The story wasn't interesting unlike say Oracle of Ages).
3D Galaxy Force 2
3D Shinobi 3
3D Super Hang On (Gyro Controls).
Jett Rocket 2 (Platformers need to be 60fps).
Liberation Maiden
Fractured Soul
Mario Tennis Open (? Trying to think of more)
Pilotwings 3DS (? Something different).

DS
Megaman ZX
Megaman ZX Advent
Contra 4
Metal Slug 7 (On a DS doesn't work right on a 3DS).
Commando: Steel Disaster (Its as good as Metal Slug 7 but not as good as Contra 4 even though I prefer the Metal Slug style to Contra).
Retro Game Challenge

Megadrive
Castlevania : Bloodlines
Contra : Hard Corps
M.U.S.H.A
Mercs
Road Rash 2
Desert Strike (And Sequels)
Thunderforce III (Don't like the slowdown that IV has I guess I would like the Saturn version of IV)
Monster World IV
Ristar
Pulseman
Alien Soldier
Gunstar Heroes
Vectorman 1 & 2
Monster World IV
Quackshot
Aladdin

SNES

Space Megaforce (Super Aleste)
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario All Stars + World
Megaman X
Super Star Wars (All of them)
Cybernator
Terminator (Super Scope Game)
Uniracers
Turtles in Time
UN Squadron
Dorimi Fantasy
Super Metroid (Don't like the exploration but I really do like the combat).
Super Mario RPG

Pulstar
Magician Lord
King of Fighters '98
Ninja Commando

NES/Famicom
Crisis Force
Castlevania 3 (Famicom version ideally)
Duck Tales
Gun Nac
Wild Gunman
Super Mario Bros 2 (Lost Levels)
Zelda 2 : The Adventure of Link

VC Arcade
Ghosts n Goblins

Modern Indie/Small/Old Steam Games
Super Meatboy
Bastion
Transistor
Starbound
Mercenary Kings
Gunlord
Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures
Shovel Knight (Whether I get it on the Wii U depends on whether they release it before I finish it which probably won't happen)
Double Dragon Neon
Pac Man Championship Edition DX+
Oniken
Sonic CD
Castle Crashers
Nights Into Dreams
Spelunky
Castle of Illusion (Much better now they unlocked 60fps).
Ms Splosion Man
Rogue Legacy
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (Also surprisingly).
Gunhound EX
Knights of the Old Republic
Knights of the Old Republic 2
Jade Empire
Jamestown
Voxotron
Pinball Arcade
Raiden Legacy (None Steam)
Irem Arcade Hits (None Steam)
Deus Ex GOTY

Hard Corps : Uprising
Crazy Taxi
Outrun 2
Shenmue
Shenmue 2
Burning Rangers
Punch Quest (Mobile Game)

I like pretty much all genres (Everything I think I don't like there is a counter example that I do other than 30fps 2D games). Nintendo's main stuff like Galaxy / Galaxy 2 / Sunshine / GC Twilight Princess I did like but I doubt I will ever desire to play them again. I prefer something new to more of the same almost always.

Main genres I like are traditional console games (Fast paced 60fps Platformers / shmups / run n gun) and Arcade games (Not as a style but originally an Arcade machine or if it is original equivalent to Neo Geo MVS difficulty. Like that they become good the second you start playing). I used to like JRPG's but now they seem to be all cutscene with a bad story and consist of basically we tell you everything you need to do and you need to grind lots. I love games where the genre changes completely each level and prefer the difficulty to be in doing something rather than working out what to do. I buy loads of pc indie games but the amount that I think are good is very low. (Probably something like 1 in 30).

The Nintendo stuff is becoming easier and easier all the time. (GBA/Gamecube was fine). But even the Wii and DS there is loads of stuff I like and variety. (If I had to go for one game from each I would go for Sin and Punishment 2 / Contra 4).

2015 looks better for me (But judging by the past lots of it is more likely to be 2016).

Starfox
Mario Maker
Splatoon
Project Steam (The things that I think they broke in Awakening they have specifically mentioned trying to avoid).

The point is there was more than enough for every system up until the 3DS and Wii U which is pretty recently in the scheme of things.

Epicnessofme99

Epicnessofme99 said:

The one i'm most anticipating is Fantasy Life mainly because I never thought it'd come over and so hearing it's coming over has brought me tons of hype. However I'm also picking up everything other than either the new Harvest Moon or Story of Seasons, depending on which one looks more interesting i'll be picking one or the other.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

#1 Smash Bros 3ds! (of course)
#2 Shantae and the Pirate's curse!
#3 Sonic Boom: Shattered crystal! (Been hearing good things about this one.)
#4 Fantasy Life

SamSan37

SamSan37 said:

I'm interested in ten games from that list. 1) Smash bros for obvious reasons.
2) The pokemon remakes because i never played them and i just started playing pokemon recently. 3) Theathrythim in hopes that Square will bring DQ games over. 4) Persona Q because it sounds like such an awesome crossover. I hope after this Atlus can make another SMT game for the 3ds.
5) Harvest Moon because the impressions that Nintendo Life gave were positive. 6) Story of Seasons because I want to support this title and i hope it doesn't bomb because it doesn't carry the Harvest Moon name. 7) Fantasy Life because it looks so good based on the NDE and i hope it brings the fruits to Nintendo for localizing this. And if SQEX won't bring over DQ maybe the Treehouse can and while they are it Yokai's Watch too. 8) The Ace Attorney collection because why not. The first one is great and i haven't played the rest. 9) Shantae because it looks awesome. I love the eShop and i hope we can get more titles of this quality. Then there are some good titles in the future that weren't listed like: Gunman Clive 2 and STEAM(2015) Hatsune Miku chibi edition (2015) that make the 3ds line up in the future great.

SamSan37

SamSan37 said:

Yo i forgot Professor Layton X Ace Attorney, MH4 (2015)and Azure Striker Gunvolt. Might even buy a Wii U and/or PS4 by the end of the year. My poor wallet!

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

@unrandomsam Question for you, why did you have to tell me this? I just said that the wiiu lineup is better than the 3ds this year, in my opinion. That's it you did not have to name all those games.

netroz

netroz said:

Fantasy Life... looks like something that will allow multiple runs, with lots of variety.

Always wandered also abut Harvest Moon games, but never have played one...

Leafgreenmary

Leafgreenmary said:

Story of Seasons!!! I already preordered it off Amazon, and preordered Omega Ruby at Gamestop. Harvest Moon has always been a favorite among my friends and I, and to hear that Xseed is localizing it is a dream come true!