Extended Nintendo Network Maintenance on Wii U and 3DS Scheduled For 13th March

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

One month after the last Nintendo Direct...

Nintendo can be accused of many things, often unfairly, but sleeping on the online job surely isn't one of them. The current generation of Wii U and 3DS has seen the company drastically evolve and update its online infrastructure, and system maintenance has been a regular feature of just that. Sometimes the work of Nintendo's tech whizzes can give us clues, however, to something on the way or — equally possible — nothing at all.

So which will it be this time? Nintendo is planning coordinated extended maintenance that'll affect the Wii U and 3DS eShop platforms on 13th March, well after the day's Download Update. What's made us raise our eyebrows to a slightly uncomfortable degree is that this is exactly one month after the last Nintendo Direct, and we know how Nintendo likes to make them a monthly affair.

Random speculation aside, below are the times when disruption is expected on the Wii U and 3DS eShop.

From Thursday, March 13, 2014 1pm Pacific / 4pm Eastern / 8pm UK / 9pm CET to Thursday, March 13, 2014 5pm Pacific / 8pm Eastern / midnight UK (14th March) / 1am CET.

Affected Services:
Wii U

• Nintendo eShop

Nintendo 3DS

• Nintendo eShop

Also of interest for you Pokémon X & Y gamers is that online play and services for the game will be affected for a whopping 14 hours on 11th March for maintenance.

From Monday, March 10, 2014 5pm Pacific / 8pm Eastern / midnight UK / 1am CET to Tuesday, March 11, 2014 7am Pacific / 10am Eastern / 2pm UK / 3pm CET

Affected Services:
Nintendo 3DS

• Online Play, Rankings, etc. for Pokémon X, Pokémon Y

So, what do you think Thursday's maintenance points to? Will it follow a Nintendo Direct as it has on occasions in the past, lay the ground for an update, or do absolutely nothing that any of us can notice? Speculate wildly in the comments below.

[via nintendo.com, nintendo.co.jp]

Marshi

Marshi said:

Nintendo release a direct with a download of bayonetta 1, super mario 64, f zero gx hd and ocarina of time all exclusive to e shop!

...hey you said speculate wildly! I can dream cant i?

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

Perhaps The Please Understand Show starring Satoru "Bananas" Iwata, is going to be a bi-monthly, or, semi-monthly, or how would you say once every 2 months kind of affair? :)

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

@ThomasBW84 I guess we'll find out Wednesday, right? I'd be surprised if it points to another Nintendo Direct, though...last month's was pretty major and we're still pretty far out from the major upcoming releases, with the exception of Yoshi's New Island on Friday. April seems more probable for the next Direct, as that's right before Kirby, Mario Golf, and, most prominently, Kart.

But you never know, Nintendo might surprise us. If it is a Nintendo Direct though, I have a vague feeling it will be rather underwhelming compared to the last one.

BooJoh

BooJoh said:

It seems a little early for the Wii U quick start update. Maybe they're increasing server capacity to handle the NA release of SMB3 on VC. :P

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

I would assume they're removing all images, sounds, and text relating to Luigi in preparation to the end of his year. After this point whenever playing a game that Luigi was in, there will just be an empty space.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Slightly off topic....Why haven't we received any new XY mystery gifts? Torchic is getting old real fast. Didn't we get like (bi-)monthly mystery gifts in previous games?

OldWeeDog

OldWeeDog said:

The eShop is going to be offline for a few hours. Please understand. ... lmao :-D Hey, maybe we are going to be inundated with 64 and cube games? Well I can dream can't I? As long as it brings improvements, that's all that matters isn't it?

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

@Kaze_Memaryu

'Fraid not. Waluigi contains Luigi's name, so he'll be reskinned and renamed as Warosalina.

Also, Super Mario Bros will be renamed Super Mario Only Child.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Wild speculation: Getting the eShop ready for N64, 'Cube, Dreamcast and Saturn games... To kick it all off a special unannounced HD version of Skies of Arcadia becomes available.

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

Well if Yoshi's coming out it's pretty much confirmed, even if it is a minor Direct. Who says we can't see Hyrule Warriors or something else too? That game is coming out in summer in Japan.
And on Friday's Pic of the Day-Yoshi back!!!

BTW, does anybody know if Nintendo will do something on the GDC on March 17? I mean in the past they've shown Zelda trailers and stuff there. This Zelda will be presented at E3, but they could show something else.

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

That reminds me...Are we getting a Nintendo Direct soon??? (Hope it's better than the last one)

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

I got a weird message on eShop when I bought Blok Drop U. It said I needed to add Wii points to my eShop account, I don't know what to take from that.

Xilef

Xilef said:

@Daisaku36 This is just very wild speculation, but maybe they are merging the Wii Shop with the eShop, the same way the merged DSiWare on 3DS. Or it was probably just some weird error.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

This is definitely for a Nintendo Direct where Nintendo will announce the purchase of both Capcom & Platinum Games with a release of Viewtiful Joe and Bayonetta on VC.......ok I added in some wild speculation.....

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

I guess they will update to fix the problem with the hackers that have been appearing lately....
that powersaves thing I heard about last week, hope they find a way to block it before online games get screwed.

Goginho

Goginho said:

They update the VC, adding N64 and possibly even GC, as well as GBA / SNES on 3DS. And then we get a Direct, in which we'll be shown a single early piece of artwork for the next Zelda, all in preperation for some early hype and speculation for e3 this year :P

K-Gamer

K-Gamer said:

Would be Awsome if they put the wii dhop games on the Eshop, at least the main ones, they would probably have to mark that it isn't compatible with the Gamepad.

LordFamicom

LordFamicom said:

I don't expect anything big but what I do want is the ability to play my Virtual Console games that I bought on my Wii U to play on my 3DS and vise versa. I don't want to buy Super Mario Bros again.

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on Wii U, Mass Effect Trilogy, Bayonetta 1 eshop download, Batman: AA eshop download, and Kingdom Hearts 3 revealed to be coming to Wii U!! Widly speculating over here.

electrolite77

electrolite77 said:

An Account system. Surely? Finally? I can start buying games from Nintendos online stores then. Cross buy and even cloud saves for VC games would be great and needs to happen soon.

A HD update or two would be nice, even if it was rudimentary N64 updates to make them not look like soup on a modern big-screen TV, but let's be realistic.

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

Oh yeah, and an eshop download of Xenoblade Chronicles, with HD upscaling, along with The Last Story and Pandora's Tower. Then a reveal of Mistwalker's Wii U game, Ganbarion's new game (if there is one at the moment), and X's full name (if there is a change) along with a release date. Finally, a Bayonetta 2 release date, Hyrule Warriors Release date, and a SSB release date. Then hype, lots and lots of HYPE!! Yay, Speculation!

I want all of these things... so bad...

AJ_Lethal

AJ_Lethal said:

they are probably laying out the foundation for the long-awaited account-based eShop and/or GBA and DS VC

Buduski

Buduski said:

Unified account system inbound? Game boy advanced VC to be played on both Wii U and 3DS?

King47

King47 said:

Last Nintendo direct was very weak and bad. It seems Nintendo doesn't have many projects and games to show so the good announcements are kept for e3.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

You guys are aiming too low. I'm personally hoping for minor performance and stability improvements.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Hopefully it's a new Direct. We need to know what's coming out after May. Or perhaps we'll get "Please understand, everything is delayed. Here's a boring Animal Crossing app. Sayonara!"
...That seems more likely.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Speculate wildly:
4DS??

I am not getting hyped for anything ever again. ND has taught me that low expectations lead to gaming happiness and high expectations lead to fanboy tears, followed by fanboy excuses.

Artwark

Artwark said:

I hate the way people insult Nintendo so much. What bad things Nintendo did anyways? They certainly didn't fire a lot of their employees, they make fine quality games and DON'T GET ME STARTED ABOUT THEIR NEW IP JUNK! THEY MAKE A LOT OF IP'S!!!!!!!

On top of that, they never use Conflict Minerals to make their products and they even help the environment.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I too am expecting nothing, seems Nintendo can't surprise me anymore. It's either something we already know about or something we don't care about. Heck Nintendo themselves even make E3 feel boring now by not announcing anything new there. At this point I tend to go back a few gens to find and play some of the games I had missed in the SNES, N64, GameCube and Wii gen then focusing too much on this one. Fact is I'm more interested in the upcoming RetroN 5 than anything Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft had at the moment and to say that really shows how weak the gaming offering for this gen really is.

dmontes4

dmontes4 said:

Am I the only one hoping for an update that lets us play vWii with the gamepad controls??

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Nintenjoe64 - 4DS - it's two 2DS duct taped together! ;-) I like it, it makes even less sense than Wii U from a marketing perspective, just wrong enough that Nintendo might use it. I'm sticking w/ 3DU - a 3DS that functions as a Wii U 2nd controller, but that's not until E3.

As for wild speculation, I have none, but having it at 4PM NY time means it won't be a behind the scenes system update or security patch, it HAS to be something we'll notice. We may not like it, but it will be noticeable. Four hours is a big chunk of prime gaming after school time.

I'ld say 12 noon NY time ND is a strong possibility.

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

I would love to have my Wii points converted over. I'm hoping they are tightening up the eshops to prepare for a flood of activity. But what? I dunno. Super Mario Bros.3, for $1. That's my call.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Wild speculation is the best part of these update schedules. Like buying a lotto ticket. I spend hours imaging what I would do with the millions and then forget to check the numbers after the drawing.

Romeo

Romeo said:

nothing they'll add via this update will matter

we can't even properly add each other or write/talk with one another.. i love Nintendo, but their online services are a complete joke

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@Buduski The accounts are already unified ;)

Oh? Wild speculation? I predict a whole lot of nothing and disappointment! :)

Farmboy74

Farmboy74 said:

All download purchases no longer tied to your machine, all Wii Virtual Console & Arcade ported onto the eshop!!
Sega Saturn & Dreamcast on eshop!! Capcom releases it's entire CPS1 & 2 arcade catalogue.
Best logical guess PC Engine appearing on eshop with the Megadrive or a new eshop store front??

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Eh, I'm not getting my hopes up for anything crazy. Makes the surprise all the better if something great does happen.

MJKOP

MJKOP said:

If they're not giving us some more stability they can shove it! Lol hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised, in the meantime.... Donkey Kong! Seriously loving Tropical Freeze

Cyberbotv2

Cyberbotv2 said:

Maybe they'll have the WWE Network app available along with WWF No Mercy with online play. Damn, I miss my N64.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

I'm not expecting much.
I hate to be nonchalant or negative but this is more than likely just stability and them getting ready for releases of major games like Mario Kart and other major titles that will be released during the 2nd half of this year.

I honestly dont mind it though. Smash Bros NEEDS to have a good online experience this time around and games like X will be devalued if the online aspects of the game are shotty.

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

@Xilef, that's my hope, an updated eShop with WiiWare stuff, but I'm not expecting that now. I do think it's more like a weird error, as you also said.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Merging the Wii and U shops would be great, as there's lots of WiiWare/VC games I never got around to trying. Still have my Wii hooked up on a 4:3 TV, though, so it's not a big deal.

As an aside: Man, I really appreciate the weekly eShop makeovers. Quite fetching visually, methinks. And I love how the musics changes. Holiday tune over Christmas, and last week I believe had DK's theme song? Lovely little touches. The 360 marketplace is so static and mechanical, comparatively.

EDIT: Oh yeah, wild speculation. GameCube VC added, with inaugural games Four Sword Adventures, Pac-Man VS., and FF: Crystal Chronicles, using the GamePad for GBA functionality.

enderboy221

enderboy221 said:

Maybe it's an E-Shop release of Luigi's Mansion (GC). The year of the Luigi is ending, so why not give him one last hurrah!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Seems unprofessional they have all this maintenance. It is not routine with any other platform. (Perhaps might happen in exceptional circumstances). Taking away some capacity at a time that won't affect service so maintenance can be done is done by companies with far less resources.

LegatoSkyheart

LegatoSkyheart said:

It would be nothing more than just keeping online servers in check and possibly just getting things ready for Mario Kart in May and for when GBA games come up so the network can hold the traffic.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Eh, doubt its anything...but, ugh...waiting to cancel my GameSync thing for Pokemon, why the waiting? T.T (started a new game, lol)

Melkac

Melkac said:

@Goginho -Sigh- You guys really love to suffer, don't you? I think it's pretty obvious the 3DS VC is never getting any GBA or SNES games.

IRNBRU115

IRNBRU115 said:

@enderboy221 Yep, exactly, or remember that listing that said they would port luigis mansion 2 to wii u????

Somehting that says "bye bye luigi" in the form of a nintendo direct.

Maybe another game between now and May...?

Goginho

Goginho said:

@Melkac lol I know I'm shootin' into the blue, but we're told to "speculate wildly" :P

Then again, I don't really see how it's obvious, I mean, we most likely won't get GBA and SNES anytime soon, but I have a feeling that we'll get something eventually. At least GBA, that is.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

They do this every few weeks, and almost never something big happens. So really, don't get your hopes up. Just wait till the next Nintendo Direct . ;)

ninjalink

ninjalink said:

I hope its another direct I love those every month, I just hope pulse returns with playstation

Znerd

Znerd said:

@Nintenjoe64 Amen Gamer
seriously it probably that mean anything big, but when you specalate really high you get disappointed and you hate Nintendo more

sub12

sub12 said:

Year of the Yoshi is announced, Yoshi's new island is releasing on the 14th, we haven't seen anything on Yarn Yoshi in ages, Yoshi has yet to be announced for Smash Bros., and Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is coming to the VC.

JuleyJules

JuleyJules said:

@Yoshis_VGM Last month's Direct was hardly major especially if you're a Wii U owner. imo it was EXTREMELY disappointing for Wii U. Hopefully if there is one it has a bit (if any) 3DS new and loads for Wii U. They really need one for Wii U to calm fans down, get up the excitement and show what's coming. Maybe Baseball is coming and the idea of accounts not tied to systems would be great especially if they announce a special edition bundle for Mario Kart 8 or something!

JuleyJules

JuleyJules said:

@LittleIrves Yes merge the shops or get rid of separate Wii menu. So many things I have that I can't be bothered with. Gamecube games would be great! Wii U focused direct as well instead of the way February was disappointing.

epicdude12302

epicdude12302 said:

I've heard rumors of super smash bros being released on April 8th and I'm also hoping for a flipnote studio 3d NA release date soon. Hopefully this has something to do with SSB at least, maybe a direct announcing the date! Keep your fingers crossed

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

LOL There are a lot of comments that ask for more attention to the Virtual Console service, yet Nintendo probably just has a monkey doing the service while they have about 10,000 employees working on Style Savvy FIT 2014 for those "fit" girls out there...

Seriously, if it's not a monkey, then it's probably a ten year old that they hired, because teasing a million fans that SMB3 is coming out for 3DS AND Wii U but not releasing it after seven months is not funny anymore... in fact, I don't even remember it being funny...

Just watch Japan get the entire Wii Virtual Console service transferred to the Japanese 3DS and Wii U Eshops WITH cross-buy play!

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

@JuleyJules To each his own, but I think the February Nintendo Direct was quite major because it talked about Nintendo's plans for the first half of 2014. If you can recall, they mainly talked about games that will be launching through May. After May, we have E3 in June. The February Direct was essentially a mini-E3 for the first half of the year.

I'm not saying a Nintendo Direct next week is unwelcome, though. I would gladly accept one. I just don't think it would show anything too different from the last one. April seems more probable to me, as that could detail the three major May releases (Kirby, Golf, Kart) and could act as a pre-E3 Direct. We'll just have to wait and see.

GamerGleek47

GamerGleek47 said:

I just want GC/64 games on VC, Bayonetta on the eShop, some friggin demos for upcoming games and RELEASE DATES!! Pretty please Nintendo? :3

JuleyJules

JuleyJules said:

@Yoshis_VGM I just found it to be too focused on 3DS - as did a lot of people on the internet - when Wii U really needs to boost interest and sales. Time will tell if there is one but it couldn't hurt in any case.

boynerdrambling

boynerdrambling said:

@JuleyJules The last direct was disappointing for wii u owners? Hahaha! Yeah, cause nobody wanted new Bayonetta, X, Smash Bros and GBA virtual console details/ footage. Then again its ALL about sales right? No one actually cares about anything else anymore

electrolite77

electrolite77 said:

@boynerdrambling

Where did sales come into it? You've added that. It was a let down for Wii U owners because the only new thing they had was NES Remix 2, GBA on VC (which a lot of people would rather have on 3DS) and one solitary release date over three months after the previous retail release. It was dominated by 3DS.

speedyboris

speedyboris said:

Honest question: Why are many assuming this maintenance will come with a major new feature on the eShop (such as more Virtual Console consoles)? When I read the article, I didn't think "Oh boy, new stuff is coming!", I thought, "Bug fixes."

JuleyJules

JuleyJules said:

@boynerdrambling the last direct had one new game for Wii U in about 15 minutes of a 42 minute or so Direct. We need to hear about other games and services coming to Wii U besides MK8, SSB4, X and Bayonetta 2. We all know they ARE coming but what else do we have to look forward to?

Action51

Action51 said:

Nintendo appears to be doing some routine server and OS maintenance.

But like everything else that happens regarding Nintendo, the wild speculation starts to fly, the internet builds it up into some bizarre guessing game and expectations are built up to absurd heights.

It is announced server maintenance.... nothing else. Demands or expectations should not be heaped on this. Anyone who acts disappointed that Iwata Claus didn't personally slide down their chimney and indulge them whatever video game wish they demand needs a reality check.

Windy

Windy said:

maybe they are going to add the Harvest Moon 3ds games to the MiiVerse :P

Meuz

Meuz said:

I hope they add support for controlling Wii games with the GamePad.

boynerdrambling

boynerdrambling said:

@JuleyJules. Oh boo hoo. Have some patience or find another hobby to take up. Nintendo will announce thing when their good and ready no matter how huffy people on the internet get over not knowing everything they're working on