Club Nintendo Rewards Updated for February

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

DK Jr! Punch-Out! Mario RPG! Arty Goodness!

It's that time again, North American gamers, with four more download games available for you to download for free — well, with your hard earned coins.

This time around we have three Virtual Console titles and one DSiWare entry, while three Nintendo systems are supported. So, let's get to it.

Donkey Kong Jr. - 150 coins (3DS eShop)
Art Style: PiCTOBITS - 150 coins (3DS eShop)
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr Dream - 200 coins (Wii U eShop)
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - 200 coins (Wii Shop)

Both of the portable offerings are for the 3DS eShop; Punch-Out!! specifies the Wii U eShop while Super Mario RPG — due to its lack of release to date on the latest system — is available on the Wii Shop via the host system or the Wii Mode on Wii U. You can find all details on the Club Nintendo site.

So, those are your options until 9th March. Let us know which you plan to pick up, if any, in the poll and comments below.

Which Club Nintendo Reward will you pick up first? (292 votes)

Donkey Kong Jr.

Art Style: PiCTOBITS

Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr Dream

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

29%

Nothing for me this time

54%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

GrandSparkster

GrandSparkster said:

I think I may get pictobits see it's the only one on the list.

and anyone who did not download Mario RPG yet, I can't recommend it enough.

Zero_Revolution

Zero_Revolution said:

PiCTOBITS is the only one I don't own, I used to when I had a DSi. Really I don't remember the game at all so I'll likely purchase that with my coins.

Super Mario RPG is in there though so it's automatically great.

gamerphil07

gamerphil07 said:

I'll hold out till march. i have all but pictobits. Knowing club nintendo, If I buy it, something way better that I can't afford will show up.

brewsky

brewsky said:

Pass. I'm interested in Mario RPG, but only when it's on the Wii U eShop. I can't believe Nintendo has the audacity to put a game up for 200 coins when it's only on the Wii Shop.

Strange, though. I had a sinking feeling that Mario RPG would be on the list this month. That means it's going to be a while before it comes to the Wii U.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

Putting Wii games on here and trying to pass them off as Wii U VC is disgusting.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Hard to redeem my Club Nintendo coins when the same games keep getting put up there. I've got these games already.

Pinecallado

Pinecallado said:

Still doesn't make sense why SNES games still arn't on the 3ds eshop. I would of loved to play Super Mario RPG on my 3ds.

VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason said:

You guys do know that Wii VC and Wii U VC are basically the same games right? Just download it in Wii mode and stop complaining.

denpa-ben

denpa-ben said:

I think every one of these is a repeat... Oh well. I ended up getting pictobits since it's the only one I didn't have already, and it's actually pretty good. I don't normally get too into puzzle games, but I'm glad I downloaded this one. It's pretty addicting. I'd say that if you're on the fence about it, I highly doubt you'd regret the "purchase."

Cuddles

Cuddles said:

My heart almost skipped a beat. I thought it was going to be Mario RPG on WiiU shop!!

ejamer

ejamer said:

Punch-Out!! seems pretty expensive at 200 coins... but it's a great game, and if it's Wii U native then maybe it's worth the high price to some?

Super Mario RPG and PictoBits are both great options as well.

burninmylight

burninmylight said:

Now I have no excuse not to own Super Mario RPG any longer. Funny that I forgot that I downloaded Paper Mario 64 as Club Nintendo reward about a year ago and forgot all about it. Guess I'll play this one first.

LordFamicom

LordFamicom said:

I might get Punch Out because I almost have enough points to get $5 in eShop credit through the Digital Deluxe promotion.

luke17

luke17 said:

Realistically, who would pass up getting Punch Out for 33 cents and spend 200 coins for it? I would assume most of the people that wanted Punch Out got it when it was practically free.

Webby-sama

Webby-sama said:

Not feeling either of those 3DS titles. Fortunately there have been a few physical items worth picking up in the last few months so my coins aren't collecting dust.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Might finally get Mario RPG since I hit 2000 points today adn found out 1100 expire in June. Course we hooked up the Wi in a different room from the Wi U adn PS3 so now I have to decide what system to DL it to. My oldest son is playing Super Paper Mario on the Wii now.

Discostew

Discostew said:

I got SMRPG months ago when they had it on CN. Still waiting for the Wii U version because I don't have a Classic Controller.

rjejr

rjejr said:

The Club Nintendo webpage says Wii U over Mario RPG, does that mean the code won't work on my old Wii?

TySoN_F

TySoN_F said:

I just purchased Super Mario RPG thinking it was actually for the Wii U :P I was kinda bummed when it was only for the Wii VC. Ah well, still got it anyway. It's not like I have an SNES to play it.

KingDunsparce

KingDunsparce said:

I want to get Super Mario RPG (been meaning to for a while), but I'm unsure about the controller options. I've got the Wii U GamePad, Wii U Pro Controller, and some Wii Remotes. Would it work on any of these, or would I have to buy a seperate controller?

MrCanzine

MrCanzine said:

If I had a classic controller I might get super Mario RPG. But seeing as how I don't, I won't. I really hope they get a firmware update in future to use gamepad and pro controllers in Wii mode.

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

Why is all this content still separated by :-/ Is Nintendo trying to tell us the 3DS couldn't run Super Mario RPG, a SNES game?
It just keeps on not making any sense, you could run SNES or NES games for this matter on the Wii, WiiU and 3DS in unsion. I'd get Super Mario RPG if it were available for 3DS in an instant ... really too bad that Ninty, as much as I love them, are stuck in the beginning of the century - content managing wise. Darn shame.

millarrp

millarrp said:

I picked up Art Style: PiCTOBiTS. I already have the other three. Although I have enough points I might get dk jr for the girlfriend.

astros75

astros75 said:

@Igmx
@shigulicious
If you like puzzle games like Tetris and Dr.Mario, you'll love Pictobits. I put in over 30 hours trying to top my high scores and enjoying the awesome music. It is my favorite DSiWare game without a doubt.

Pinecallado

Pinecallado said:

@Ralek85 It would be beautiful if the virtual console games can be "cross-play" with the Wii U and 3ds with a unified account system :)
The 3ds is powerful enough to run most of the virtual console games, even the N64.

idork99

idork99 said:

These are not bad choices. The bad thing is I already own all these titles :(

Joygame51

Joygame51 said:

@Igmx In a word YES...of course it really according to you taste in games but I have this and love it still...

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

3DS offerings are weak, but I guess it's good I'd you haven't gotten PiCTOBITS yet for some reason. That game is wonderful.
I'll be picking up Mario RPG since I missed it before.

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

I would get Mario RPG if it was for the 3DS. I'll stick with the SNES cartridge.

Noboty

Noboty said:

Another month, another bad selection. If only they had included Super Mario RPG on the 3ds eshop...

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Grrr, I wanted Punch-Out!! to be 3DS VC, not Wii U! I don't want to pay to replace my previous, now stolen version.

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

@Pinecallado that's just what im saying, having seperate instances of the e-shop makes little sense in regards to virtual console it makes no sense at all. Cross-buy/play/save would be wonderfull, but for now I would settle for A) a fully unified acc system mit content tied to account not system B) unified virtual console across all recent platforms C) content! (why are they draggin their heels on this, they are sitting on litteraly thousands of games here and what we get is like 2 a week, also there are no GBA or NDS games available which is insane. I can name like 2 dozen games for these systems I'd buy in a heartbeat if they were fair priced, be on my 3DS system 4ever and carry over to the next generation of Ninty handhelds.
This sounds like a tall order, but the sad truth much of this has been done by other companies, in fact without access to psx/psp games and cross-buy/save/play function im pretty sure the vita would still be worse of, considering it is almost a game-less system it's doing pretty well (P4G is amazing but no system-seller).
I take every chance I get in club nintendo surveys to point this out, maybe someday someone will read it and forward it to the headhonchos in Japan. ^^

FireHorsePrime

FireHorsePrime said:

The one I want is SuperMario RPG but I'm hesitant to get it because it's on the Wii and then they may re-release it on the Wii U.

Ste

Ste said:

Considering getting Super Mario RPG, does anyone know how many blocks it takes? Also I agree that Nintendo shouldn't be making it look like a wii-U game since it would be played on the wii app. No problem with them putting wii games up for the coins but then advertise them as such.

nf_2

nf_2 said:

Anytime you can get Super Mario RPG for free, it's a good line up. Too bad I already have it. :P

aronatvw

aronatvw said:

Sucks Mario RPG is on Wii start offering new stuff on the wiiU through club nintendo!

Squid

Squid said:

I really would like SMRPG, last time it was available my Wii had Internet problems so I couldn't download it. I don't know that I can reach 200 coins in time, though.

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

@Ste if you get it on your Wii U via the Wii ummm program, when it comes to Wii I you get a discount on the update. Worked for me for ALTTP and hopefully super mario lost levels in the near future.

I missed punch out when it was almost free, will likely get it and super mario rpg

hiddenstampede

hiddenstampede said:

Ain't going to spent 200 coins and then 1.50 USD. Come on, NIntendo! So much for rewarding to 'loyal' customers! Those coins are not easily to earned!

meltendo

meltendo said:

I seriously think Nintendo is holding back SNES VC titles from the 3DS so they can resell them at a higher price point as new games--see how we got the amazing new 3DS Zelda instead of the VC version of A Link to the Past?

lacaras4

lacaras4 said:

Put SMRPG on the Wii U VC and I'l get it, but I won't until then, I shouldn't have to go into Wii mode for anything but to play Wii games. (Also it's a pain in the butt the Wii shop stuff isn't in the Wii U eShop, why not? the DSiWare is in the 3DS eShop)

fluffzbunny

fluffzbunny said:

Nintendo isn't going to release SNES games on the 3ds...why would they...yes it would be nice and cool but SNES will always be played on a Nintendo home console so there's another reason to get a Nintendo console. Now I'm waiting for GBA games to be on the 3ds eshop that needs to happen soon.

FireHorsePrime

FireHorsePrime said:

@SavoirFaire While it's only $1.50 to upgrade to the Wii U version once you have the Wii version, I would rather not load up my valuable memory with the same game, and with games as cheap as they are, invariably that $1.50 would come in handy and it wouldn't be in my wallet when I need it. So I'm just going to wait.

FireHorsePrime

FireHorsePrime said:

@meltendo Interesting theory but entirely illogical. Link Between Worlds is an entirely different game, it's merely set in the same world. SNES VC console games are only going to be found on the Wii U so as to stimulate sales on that platform. It would be nice if they followed Sega's lead and put out 3D SNES Classics but then that might saturate the market and turn off developers of new games. Hence why we've also got the same lineup of 3D NES Classics after how many years? Encouraging new games in 3D is a much wiser move than flooding the E-Shop with 3D VC. Link Between Worlds is so much more than what a 3D port would have been.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

awww i was hoping this was a mario rpg on wii u thing, already got it on my wii and snes

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Picked up Super Mario RPG. Probably will not touch it until I can upgrade it, but it at least saves me $6.50 when that happens.

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

Aii... what is the point of Nintendo Club is the list is not exciting every single month?

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

lol, I'm one of the 3% that is getting DKJR. If it were reversed and Punch Out were on the 3DS, then I would defiantly choose that more. I haven't play either. I only played DKJR in an arcade machine a few years ago.

soma

soma said:

Pictobits is great! I bought it time ago and is one of the best puzzles I've ever played, with great music and very challenging.
I'm tempted to buy Mario RPG but I don't know, I played it recently on emulator and I thought it hasn't aged that well. Chrono Trigger is better by far.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Already have them all. I definitely recommend Mario RPG, Pictobits, and Punch Out. Don't waste your coins on DK Jr though.

CriticalError13

CriticalError13 said:

Yep, going for the Pictobits. Seems like a good puzzle game for my coins and I don't think they'll ever go back to putting games like Mario and Kirby back on Club Nintendo.

Aozz101x

Aozz101x said:

i already have Super Mario RPG from last club nintendo rewards...
not sure what i want get Honestly

Kisame83

Kisame83 said:

@ntabruzzo have you considered this strategy- get the game with your coins, and when it launches for Wii U it will only cost you the upgrade fee and not the full price. I just used this tactic for Zelda 3.