Nintendo Download: 17th October (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A Mighty sequel, retro 'goodies', retail options, racing on snow and more

It's that time again, North America, for the Nintendo Download update to brighten up your week and get you through to the weekend. There's a fairly lengthy list of options on the Wii U and 3DS, incorporating the new, the old and the very old; with plenty of diverse options to choose from, so let's get to it.

Wii U eShop

Mighty Switch Force! 2 (WayForward, $5.99) — Unlike the revamped Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition, this Wii U release of the 3DS eShop sequel is apparently based directly on the original, retooling the pixel-based visuals for a 16:9 ratio. We gave the eShop version a reasonable recommendation in our Mighty Switch Force! 2 review, even if it didn't quite match our expectations.

Wii U Virtual Console

Urban Champion (Nintendo, $4.99) — IT'S BACK!!!! The urban fighting game we all want to play again and again and again! A timeless classic... or not. If you didn't buy it on the Wii Virtual Console or as a 3D Classic, you have a chance for buyer's remorse once again; if you don't believe us, check out our Wii Virtual Console Urban Champion review.

Clu Clu Land (Nintendo, $4.99) — This is an action puzzle game from the early days of the NES, in which you manoeuvre bubbles by throwing them around the stage. This can also be played with a friend, but the single-screen puzzling is underwhelming, as explained in our Wii Virtual Console Clu Clu Land review.

Wii U Retail Downloads

Just Dance Kids 2014 (Ubisoft, $TBC) — Available from 22nd October.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut (Square Enix, $49.99) — Available from 22nd October.

3DS eShop

Brunch Panic (CIRCLE Entertainment, $3.99) — Coming from F K Digital, this looks like a suitably frantic and challenging catering resource management title, as you put together and serve various meals to quirky and demanding customers. We'll have a taste of what's on offer and let you know what we think.

Snow Moto Racing 3D (Zordix, $5.99) — This is the second Moto Racing title from Zordix to arrive on the 3DS eShop, this time around tackling a theme best suited to Winter. This looks fairly similar to Aqua Moto Racing 3D, with plenty of tournaments, stunts and multiplayer options — including Download Play — to enjoy. We'll see whether this plays well or is on a slippery slope in our review, soon.

101 Penguin Pets 3D (Teyon, $4.99) — Pet simulation is becoming all the rage on the 3DS eShop, though we use the word "pet" loosely. In this title you care for your own penguin, playing minigames and doing the usual exercises to feed, clean and care for the cute little creature. We'll see whether this leaves us cold in our upcoming review.

Hulu Plus (Hulu, free) — A free app for the subscription-based TV streaming service is now available.

3DS Virtual Console

Pinball: Revenge of the 'Gator (Nintendo, $2.99) — The Game Boy had some choice pinball options, another of which now flips onto the 3DS Virtual Console. This may be simplistic due to the limitations within which it worked, but that doesn't mean it's not addictive and fun, as our Pinball: Revenge of the 'Gator review explains.

3DS Retail Downloads

Hometown Story (Natsume, $TBC) — Available from 22nd October.

Jewel Master: Cradle of Rome 2 (Rising Star Games, $19.95)

My Vet Practice 3D - In the Country (TREVA Entertainment, $29.99)

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

SteamWorld Dig (Image & Form, $7.19 until 20th October, normally $8.99)

Another week down, North America. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (279 votes)

Mighty Switch Force! 2 (Wii U eShop)

Urban Champion (Wii U Virtual Console)

Clu Clu Land (Wii U Virtual Console)

Just Dance Kids 2014 (Wii U retail download)

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut (Wii U retail download)

Brunch Panic (3DS eShop)

Snow Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop)

101 Penguin Pets 3D (3DS eShop)

My Vet Practice 3D - In the Country (3DS eShop)

Pinball: Revenge of the 'Gator (3DS Virtual Console)

Hometown Story (3DS retail download)

Jewel Master: Cradle of Rome 2 (3DS retail download)

SteamWorld Dig (3DS eShop temporary discount)

16%

Just the Hulu Plus app for me

Nothing for me this week

45%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

The only way Urban Champion can be considered a goodie is if Nintendo pays you the 5 dollars to download it.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I personally haven't tried Urban Champion, but it looks like the kind of game that isn't worth the asking price.

QBertFarnsworth

QBertFarnsworth said:

The system is almost a year old. What's the hold up on getting some N64 games, and perhaps some GameCube titles?

darthmawl

darthmawl said:

My guess is beggining next year Nintendo will announce GBA and N64 title to be release on wii u eshop .......... Please?

ZordixAB

ZordixAB said:

Apparently Nintendo missed to put the price of our game Snow Moto Racing 3D in their Press Release....its 5.99 for the first two weeks.

darthmawl

darthmawl said:

And dont understand with a link between worlds why they didnt release one month before a link to the past to get even more hype ...

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Steamworld Dig, Deus Ex and maybe Mighty Switch force 2 when I see what it looks like.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

interested in MSF games but i was expecting a sale on the first one to celebrate the release of this one. ah well.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

The lack of N64 on VC makes me wonder whether they are going to re-release all their 3D games as HD remakes instead....

.....or something I'd find less offensive would be if they offered games like Mario 64 or Mario Kart 64 as DLC to SM3DW and MK8.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

sigh Still waiting on Super Mario Bros. 3. And N64 and GBA Virtual Console games. Good thing I have Mario & Luigi and Pokemon Y to keep me busy (with Sonic Lost World on the way to boot).

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Revenge of the Gator is the only thing that even remotely interest me... isn't there still a boatload of other VC games for the Wii U and 3DS that...........oh never mind....it's the same complaint as every week.

Klinny

Klinny said:

I would be getting Hometown Story, but I preordered a physical copy on Amazon yesterday for the Ember Plush lol.

AirElephant

AirElephant said:

Man, I'm so sick of Nintendo re-releasing Wii VC games as WIi-U games. Why, oh why, can't Nintendo start releasing NEW VC games for the Wii-U? There is a massive, massive backlog of titles that were never released for the VC, including innumerable arcade titles, and yet we get the same garbage again and again and again. Nintendo is ridiculously lazy.

Mrclaycoat

Mrclaycoat said:

Both of these games were fine additions to my collection 20 years ago, not now though

2Sang

2Sang said:

A week with great quantity but low quality. Maybe next week will be better.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

@rjejr Probably on the system they own and use the most. I do wish they were better at putting demos on the system and remove the silly "you can only play it X number of times" policy.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

I would think we will start getting additional quality VC games once the main titles are finished. I'm guessing all hands on deck right now to get out the SMB, Wii party U, Sports Club titles for the holiday push

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Steamworld Dig on sale for sure. Game has a ton of great reviews. I hope the 47% that said "nothing for me this week," already own it! Can't wait to download.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Definitely getting Steamworld Dig...assuming that sale lasts until after Ace Attourney 5 comes out...but if not, I'll probably pick it up full price. $9 sounds fair.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I will be getting Hometown Story but I will be getting a physical copy thank you very much.

rosebud

rosebud said:

I've been eyeing Steamworld Dig for a long time. Looks like I will be getting it today.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Let's get back to the Capcom Wii U releases, these Nintendo releases are lame.

GN004Nadleeh

GN004Nadleeh said:

i really hate indie games and the 3ds store is filled with them, also most are ports of mobile phone games that cost pennies but nintendo wants 5 bucks and tax

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Boy, they brought out the "heavy hitters" for the VC services, didn't they? 😜 I guess it's progress for 3DS, though. I think it had 3 or 4 weeks without a VC release.

bahooney

bahooney said:

I'll probably get Clu Clu Land. Animal Crossing GCN made me fall in wub wiff it.

WebHead

WebHead said:

Seriously, what's the hold up with the North American Sonic Lost World demos?

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@GN004Nadleeh Guess I'd be sad to be you then...

@Hyperstar96 It's not so much that it's bad as much as it's a very average game that's been ported a zillion times by now for no apparent reason when there are tons of better games that have yet to be ported.

Cohort

Cohort said:

Regarding Deus Ex, I saw this on Amazon UK today, looks like a few people have pre ordered..

Untitled

HyperSonicEXE

HyperSonicEXE said:

UGH! By the time a decent library hits the Wii U VC, the console will be outdated! Truth be told, it's already starting to feel dated, but, I'll enjoy Nintendo's games regardless.

This has to stop:
1. ROM dump everything except N64 onto the Wii, that'll give some access on the Wii U, blame any minor dysfunction on the Wii, and just update them later,
2. Then focus on the POPULAR titles for the Wii U's VC.

Mytoemytoe

Mytoemytoe said:

@HyperSonicEXE Agree and disagree. They are banking on Mario and the holidays selling a bunch of consoles, which is a reliable expectation. They're also expecting that next year the double release of Smash and Kart are going to really push the install base.

I think they're waiting for that time to start dumping a lot of classics. Those old games are profitable no matter what, but if you can advertise the hell out of 'em and really maximize the profit, then Nintendo is essentially getting an extra game on their release schedule.

Now that the 3DS has a really healthy install base, Nintendo is surely going to put LTTP on 3DS VC before Nov. 22. Similarly, once a whole bunch of people have purchased Super Mario Land, I'm sure Nintendo will announce an impending release of SMB 3 on the Wii U VC.

VC should be cheaper, in an ideal world, but this is a world where Nintendo needs to make every last cent.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I was almost going to say what a crappy week till I seen Revenge of the Gator! Its about flipping time.

HyperSonicEXE

HyperSonicEXE said:

@Mytoemytoe
I'd love to know just how profitable the VC games are, if indeed there is this much QA going on.
VC would be helpful now and the down months of Q1 and Q2 next year. But that means they need to rush to get some really heavy hitters from the past ready.

Cowabunga on the username, by the way! :D

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@QBertFarnsworth With N64 I hope it is because they have decided to use low level emulation this time so it is a better approximation of the real thing. Gamecube no idea. (Basically run unmodified - Maybe they have decided to do what they did with Windwaker for all of it).

brucelebnd

brucelebnd said:

let's just face it the Wii U VC just sucks. you really can't put it any other way. what Nintendo should have done was to integrate the existing Wii VC on the Wii U. so gamers would play all of their old titles on the gamepad. some wiiware motion games wouldn't but they are not the majority of games.

this way Nintendo could have focused on bring NEW titles to the Wii U VC, you know like Gamecube, GBA and the like.

but NO

Nintendo wants to bleed every dollar they can out of their LOYAL fans and giving us pretty terrible titles like Vegas Strikes, Golf, Tennis, Urban Champions and the like. and when they do release a good game they force us to pay $1 or more just to play a game we already own on the gamepad.

I'm sorry but Nintendo is just being greedy and the Wii U VC is suffering because of it.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Getting Jewel Master. Pre-ordered Hometown Story through Amazon.com so should have it sometime in November (live in Canada).

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

Mighty Switch Force 2 is only $5.99. Can't argue with that price, HD or not. Not sure if it's just a limited time introductory sale. I was expecting $10-$15. Though, something doesn't seem right since it's file size is only 100MB

Also, its pretty insulting to us that they're trying to sell a primitive NES Tennis game for $5 when we'll have Wii Sports U Tennis next couple of weeks for only $10. the WiiU VS has just gotten atrocious in quality.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

Steamworld Dig is on sale??? Stop having sales on games I'm already trying to resist buying! I'm not made of money! DX

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

I'm fairly certain Nintendo either hates its VC fans or has put a blind person in charge of the release schedule.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Looking like an awesome week for a change of pace. :D

I'm picking up:

Pinball: Revenge of the Gator
My Vet Practice
Brunch Panic
101 Penguin Pets

Nintendo's website has My Little Baby 3D listed to come out today!! :'( Where is it in the 3DS e-shop?! Like to download it but can't find it in the 3DS e-shop... :'(

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

YAY GATOR! FINALLY! If only I had the money...
I hope Star Soldier comes out soon too!!

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Here's the nintendo page for My Little Baby 3D:

But I can't find it in the 3ds e-shop yet. On the phone with Nintendo right now trying find out what's going on with it because one of favorite baby games... ;'(

UPDATE: The person at nintendo said it should be in the 3ds e-shop either later tonight or tomorrow morning because it is showing TODAY as a release date for My Little Baby 3D - Oct 17th

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Neram

Neram said:

The 3DS eShop sure has gotten a lot of shovelware lately. I guess all of the shovelware developers have now migrated over from DSiWare. Some of this stuff would make great Angry Video Game Nerd material. Speaking of bad games, what's the deal with Urban Champion getting re-released so much? Somebody needs to tell Nintendo of America that nobody likes that stinker of a game.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I'm downloading the Hulu Plus app, but mostly just to get the Club Nintendo Coins. Anyway, I am too busy playing Pokemon X to care about anything else.

ted-k

ted-k said:

Been planning on getting Steamworld Dig for a while. I guess now's the time!

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

The reason Nintendo didn't bother just moving over the Wii VC, or modifying it to be accessible to both Wii/WU users, is, as some above me have said, Nintendo wants to make those extra profits. It's really a shame, though nothing new, that greed, as usual, has ill effects. I'd get MSF2 if i owned a WU.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@Knuckles: LMFAO! priceless.

Anyway, 4 weeks in a row we are left w/o any 3DS NES VC games; while EU gets a 4th title we don't have(City Connection). C'mon Nintendo, wtf?

JustinH

JustinH said:

Nintendo only put these VC games out after last week to make Golf and Tennis look better.

Nintendo only put Clu Clu Land out with Urban Champion to make Clu Clu Land look good.

Ahh, Urban Champion. The absolute nadir of the Nintendo catalogue...

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

Be warned, once the onslaught of indie games starts on the Wii U eShop, which should be starting pretty soon, there will only be one or two major VC releases for a LONG time. Basically we'll be getting SMB3 and ALttP, and then nothing else for a long time.

Also, I don't think Nintendo will release GameCube games on the Wii U VC because the majority of the big name releases can be played on disc on the Wii U. Pikmin and Pikmin 2 were released on Wii as part of the "New Play Control" series. Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 were updated and released on Wii as part of Metroid Prime Trilogy. We just got Wind Waker HD. Twilight Princess was a GC/Wii multiplat. I'm willing to bet that Super Mario Sunshine will get an HD remake. The other games like Melee, Luigi's Mansion, Eternal Darkness, and F-Zero GX Nintendo will just ignore.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Buying Deus Ex physical copy. Other than that, nothing yet again. Straight garbage again. I don't even get my hopes up any more.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@JaxonH

Are you talking just about the Wii U E-Shop or both the U and 3DS? Because I feel like the 3DS usually has solid weeks.

mowerdude

mowerdude said:

Nothing again for me, Nintendo needs to revamp the nintendo wii u eshop with a totally new look like the psn or xbox live shop, and stop promoting all there games on the main page that are older releases and let the newer 3rd parties and indie games have the spot light some. They need to start putting the games size in the details page instead of having to click on the purchase button to see how big each game is to download, plus if you don't have a CC linked to your eshop or have the eshop funds on your account you can't see the games size. They need to start putting up more demos for games that are coming out and get rid of the stupid limited times that you can play the demo.

AkDeath

AkDeath said:

I'm going to start checking the 3DS eshop once every 3 months, that way I'll probably be able to get a game or two that are worthwhile. There is so much shovelware/crap being put out it's ridiculous, especially considering how many amazing games they could be releasing on the VC from the gb/gbc/gba/64 libraries. Instead we get "Brunch Panic"....get out of here.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

I bought Urban Champion only once for the e-Reader. I learned my lesson after that. If only NintendoLife had existed then.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Revenge of the Gator was my first GB game when I was kid, then I sold it years later. It is an instant buy to me. Great memories!

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Dangit, I'm a huge pinball fan! Somehow I overlooked it. Any way to change my vote to revenge of the gator?

Ricube

Ricube said:

I downloaded Steamworld Dig yesterday. It really is a simple but engaging, fun and clever game and I recommend it to everyone.
I live in Europe and don't really understand why on the eShop Nintendo charges the USD price in EURO equivalent. I mean, this game costs 7.19 € that are 9.82 $ by current change rate. I see why it happens with retail games, but even digital downloads? That's kind of unfair...

Ricube

Ricube said:

@Cohort There is a WiiU section in the amazon.co.uk page but they put this in the Wii section... non wonder it's selling (in preorders) better than old Wii games...