Masahiro Sakurai Demonstrates Super Smash Bros. in Developer Video

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

The Wii Fit Trainer Weighs In!?

One thing we'll readily admit about the Super Smash Bros. series is that it gets away with being completely daft and nonsensical. In a game where a flower can be a useful weapon, and Nintendo mascots battle in some of the craziest arenas imaginable, it's easy to get swept away in the madness; that's really the whole point.

Thankfully for those of us that can't get enough of the new title coming to Wii U and 3DS, an eight minute developer video has just been published by Nintendo, in which Masahiro Sakurai shows some playable characters and stages in greater detail than shown in the short initial trailer. We get a closer look at the graphical approaches in both the 3DS and Wii U versions, and Sakurai also walks us through some key moves of the new characters.

We already know about Mega Man and The Villager, both shown in the Nintendo Direct broadcast, and the video below showcases their quirky move-sets — fans of the Blue Bomber may find it hard to contain themselves. A bigger surprise, however, is Wii Fit Trainer. While it could be hard to visualize how a fairly generic fitness instructor could become a Smash character, the brief demo by Sakurai does give it some kind of sense; she could quite possibly become a cult favourite, who knows.

What the video below does show is more detail than the flashy trailer from earlier today, and more opportunity to soak in some of the new stages, too. When Sakurai shows off Smash Bros., it's hard not to be excited.

Related Games

BenAV

BenAV said:

Such a bizarre announcement, but I quite like it.
Curious to see the rest of the roster now.

Faruko

Faruko said:

Woooow. it runs GREAT on the 3DS, and it looks even better

So guess its going to be WiiU/PS4 for this gen

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

When the game comes out, I'm using her as my main character to troll everyone online. Feel the burn!

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Wii Fit Trainer is even better than that Animal Crossing weirdo. Never played this series before, but I'm totally getting this one!

Xilef

Xilef said:

Love that they are adding the Wii Fit girl character. This SSB rooster seems to be a bit more bizarre than the others.

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

@Sean_Aaron I think so, too! Instead of Tom Nook or K.K...they bring "Villager"? Ugh...

I would be ok if they put Robin instead of Chrom or Lucina, but a character with no real personality instead of...well, you get the point.

Pinkkitty

Pinkkitty said:

I was both shocked and horrified at first, but then...
I thought about how funny it would actually be to play as her and now I think it is a hilarious addition.

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

I have no idea how to respond to this. Should I be amused? Mad? Scared? I just don't know anymore.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

If we're getting Megaman, can we have Simon Belmont, Arthur from Ghouls and Ghosts and the laughing dog from Duck Hunt?

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

What I thought was a daft character choice is actually pretty alright. It's really bizarre but the moveset works and it doesn't look silly. I'm all for it.

Cirno

Cirno said:

Wii Fit trainer is hilarious.

Also I'm jealous of Sakurai. Playing Smash 4 on his breaks -.-

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

Hopefully no more clone characters. Ganondorf deserves his own moveset.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

Ok, if we get a Wii Fit Trainer but Little Mac does not make the cut, I will be very angry.

And I would still love to see Mike Jones from Startropics make it in:)

Mqblank

Mqblank said:

@ferthepoet Nikki would be pretty cool as a 3DS only character, especially if you got her as a free DLC character through the letterbox!

GoroGoro

GoroGoro said:

Unfortunately Nintendo have confirmed my greatest fears that I now must own a Wii U for next generation, alongside my ps4 of course

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George said:

Atleast it's creative, kind of hope we will see more characters revealed like Magnus and the Dark Lord. :)

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

I want Miis. I think seeing myself get pounded by Wario would be the height of gaming.

Mqblank

Mqblank said:

Nintendo just announced that Super Smash Bros will be free to play with the only character being available at start, the Wii Fit Trainer. All other characters you can then purchase through the eShop. Just kidding, there can't be any company stupid enough to do that can there ... cough, cough ... Micro$oft ... cough, cough ... Rare ... cough, cough ... Killer Instinct ... cough, cough

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Theyd better not remove any characters (apart from Snake which could be inevitable) because of this.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

@Mqblank Nikki is however just a Mii Character so any appearance she'll make will not be as a fighter... although with that in mind it'd be kool to see Iwata and Miyamoto Mii characters too in the game!

I love the inclusion of the WiiFit Trainer. I still hope they announce PacMan, which is still possible, but looking less and less likely.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

At least the characters revealed so far are new with fresh movesets, and not clones of other characters (like falco, wolf, lucas, ganondorf, pichu, and toon link). I'd rather have wii fit trainer and the villager than that any day.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I just watched the video - Wii Fit Trainer rocks! Hilarious, love to see a sense of humour about this and not just fan service.

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

Well she is fit with all that training. Plus it's another female character in the game.

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

I was already surprised with villager but her too. Next you are going to tell me pac man is in this game too.

NassaDane

NassaDane said:

Love the new characters but hate how they Messed up Bowser's character. Plus not sure why they are spoiling the game by show the Final Smash ALREADY?! What's up with that?

Justaguest

Justaguest said:

I dont think anyone in the world would expect this. They should have kept it in secret. Amazing! Made my day xD

Cloud-San-VII

Cloud-San-VII said:

This was the biggest surprise today. I think that she'll make a great addition to the roster. Only thing that I find weird is that they didn't show people like Ness or Captain Falcon..... Maybe for a later time or something.... PLEASE BRING BACK MEWTWO AND ROY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

JusticeColde

JusticeColde said:

Untitled

YES!!!! Mega Man is in.
Now all we need is Ryuta Ippongi (Osu Tatakae Ouendan) and this game will be complete.

idork99

idork99 said:

Mario Kart news was disappointing.

This was not.

I can't hardly wait!

(Is there still going to be cross play between 3DS/Wii U? It said in the video that the 3DS version will have stages based on portable games while the Wii U version will concentrate on home console games : / )

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

You know, people can say what they like but I really think Villager and Wii Fit Trainer look awesome.

Villager has such an interesting diverse arsenal of moves and the trainer is really graceful and her attacks actually look quite powerful and precise.

Looking forward to trying out all three of the new characters.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

At first, I was shocked about the Wii Fit Trainer, but after seeing her fight, I actually think she'll be just fine. Sakurai can make anything work in his games!

2Sang

2Sang said:

Im a little dissapointed in wii fit trainer being in but at least shes unique

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

Take that, you miserable All-Stars Battle Royale imposters! Wii Fit Trainer eats Sackboys for breakfast

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

Never expected any of these. I hoped for megaman but never honestly thought it would really happen.

BigDaddysPizza

BigDaddysPizza said:

Oh my goodness.... the Wii Fit Trainer? IN MY SMASH BROS GAME?
Just no. I like Mega Man. I can live with the villager.
But the Wii Fit Trainer... is a pathetic excuse to add a new character. Sorry. I'm not going to laugh around. This is stupid....

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

How is... What? Why?

But... C'mon, let's not try to make sense of this: a 1990 game where you could fly around with a RACOON TAIL when you grabbed a LEAF is one of Nintendo's most legendary platformers. So if it's granted that this is going to make week-end gatherings until late hours with friends, or if this is going to feature a server-based online play (or at least otherwise improving the lackustre method Brawl introduced to people without fiber internet connections), who cares?

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Caramel wrote:

NEWCOMER: Luke Fon Fabre! :o

As much as I like Luke and Loyd, I'd much rather have a character that like Jade or Zelos that can use both arts and magic. Even Emil would be more fun to play as due to his fighting style. Any Tales of character make a good fit thought.

The Wii fit trainer is a wierd choice, but I guess she fits the role of normal fighter well enough.

NassaDane

NassaDane said:

@Justaguest Bowser is now very up right, which takes away his dino/monster look and feel. Some of his new moves look interesting but they didn't need to make him into a fully ascetically different character.

Gallimastro

Gallimastro said:

It blew my mind seeing Mega Man debut, along with Kid Icarus all we need now is Simon Belmont to complete the Captain N co-star roster.

Villager might be one of those characters who's, when mastered, can be the powerful fighter in the game. Wii Fit trainers ultimate smash made me laugh because of how awesome it looked, I like that randomness of it.

All in all, I can't wait to play this.

TheSonicdude97

TheSonicdude97 said:

Lol, Mega Man's third jump is like Sonic's spring jump from Brawl. I reallyyy want Sonic to come back!! Pleaseeee!!! :D

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Not that it's any suprise, but the boxing ring indicates Little Mac has made the cut! B-) I'm extremely excited for this game, it's just a shame that the main trailer wasn't shown in front of a giant E3 conference with nintendo fans rather than a bunch of tight lipped quite journalists. :p

mamp

mamp said:

Well it is odd but I kinda like her plus this game needs more females. Just hope they actually use some of those cool characters that fans have really wanted.

Super-Mario-Fan

Super-Mario-Fan said:

I was pretty suprized when I saw Wii Fit trainer
But after seeying her attacks, it actually makes sense :) Cant wait to play as her! xD

Birdman

Birdman said:

Guys, check at the bottom note beginning at 0:28. He's controlling all the action and cameras and talking at the same time?!? Pro.

DiSTANToblivion

DiSTANToblivion said:

Ugghh why? This is so... mehh. I guess it shows that no one is off limits? I mean there better be at least a few more good reveals.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

@Zombie_Barioth I don't know if arte users would be a good fit. The Smash Bros. universe is far too fast paced for them I think. They'd never have time to cast!

Ispheria

Ispheria said:

i'm rather upset that pit's different weapons aren't different weapons that he can equip. it looks like the orbitars are just his block, and i don't think he'd have enough moves to use all of his weapons

Daggo

Daggo said:

Quite cool addition! This actually makes me wanna go to play WiiFit xD

I hope the next reveal it's the Mii!

ILikeRead

ILikeRead said:

yeah! im glad they went out of a fighter element to put in the trainer. maybe in the next one they can put in oprah or dr. phil!

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@Melkaticox Villager is meant to resemble you, the player. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends wearing what your character in AC wears if the game can read your save data. He's actually the only character from AC who would work as a fighter.

Wii Fit Trainer looks a perfect fit (ho ho ho) for Smash. Her quickness and athleticsm will make her quite a popular character.

@FilmerNgameR No, they wouldn't. Sonic and Snake should both be back but that is it for Sega and Konami, like how Mega Man should be Capcom's only character.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@WaveBoy
Oh really? I think there is a good chance that it's the Wii Sports boxing arena which hints to me that Mii's will be in it, which let's be honest, makes complete sense given how widespread they have beccome with 3ds and Wii u

StraTTtheRipper

StraTTtheRipper said:

I really hope that Sonic is coming back to be in this one as well, he was a great character in SSBB, and he fit into Nintendo's universe perfectly, unlike Snake from MGS.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Wii Fit Trainer is playable. Geno is not even an assist trophy. I can see it coming...

Looks like there will be no meter for super attacks, but the Wii Fit Trainer's Final Smash just looks like a generic beam. You'd think it would be something more unique for such a unique character, like she would force you to exercise with her by following her movements, and make you do Yoga.

gefflt

gefflt said:

@TheSonicdude97 I honestly think the reason they wouldn't add Miis in the game is to not subject them to brutal beat downs (e.g. beating the c*** out of your brother's mii).

On a different note, I wonder which Pokémons will be included this time around (as in, the ones accompanying a Pokémon Trainer)...

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@WaveBoy Even if it is a Punch-out!! ring, keep in mind that Brawl had two stages (one from Animal Crossing, and the one with the color changing leaves) that had no playable character representations.