Feature: The Future of GameCube on Wii U

Posted by Mike Mason

Including the 'Cube

When Wii U is released, you'll be able to play games from each of Nintendo's home consoles thanks to a mixture of backwards compatibility and the Virtual Console. With one exception. No, not Virtual Boy. Currently GameCube has no place on Nintendo's first high definition console, that we know of: only games on systems up to Nintendo 64 are available for download, and the disc slot won't accept GameCube's miniature disks, just like the later model of Wii.

GameCube was the handle-sporting mini-Hulk of the sixth console generation, boasting power far beyond what you'd expect from its toy-like exterior. Despite its third placing in the console wars of the day, it was home to plenty of classic games that we'd like to see return on Wii U. Is the system about to be thrown into a dusty corner, treated like the purple-cased odd one out? We doubt it. Here's how Nintendo could approach GameCube support on Wii U.

Last year a Nintendo of America executive suggested that digital downloads were the answer for GameCube games going forward, but since then we haven't really heard anything. It makes a lot of sense: Nintendo already has a pre-existing framework that GameCube could slot right into in Virtual Console. Decades of Nintendo titles all available with a few clicks through the eShop, now expanded into the 2000s.

On Wii there were file size constraints that prevented this from happening. That shouldn't be a problem any longer on Wii U. We're still uncertain of the exact amount of on-board storage contained in the system – rumours continue to suggest 8GB flash memory, confirmed to be expandable via SD cards – but considering Nintendo's decision to release games simultaneously on disc and as digital downloads, it seems a fair bet that there won't be any problem putting some GameCube titles online. Single disc GCN games generally come to a comparatively slim 1.4GB, which shouldn't pose any issues if full retail titles are on the way through the web.

Nintendo might, however, want to take advantage of the HD capabilities of Wii U. There are certainly plenty of GameCube candidates that would be ripe for an upscale, most obviously The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, with its timeless art style that would look glorious in high definition.

Instead of sticking solely to the digital route, perhaps Nintendo will look to the approach that Sony has encouraged on PlayStation 3: remastered HD collections. Similarly themed or franchised games could be bundled together at retail to give them more exposure, introduce them to new audiences and sneakily plug in gaps in its release schedule cost-effectively.

It's not like this hasn't been done before: Wii was home to the New Play Control! series, bolting Wii Remote motion or pointer controls on top of existing GameCube titles. That approach might well make a comeback; games' visuals could be spruced up, but perhaps these titles could also take advantage of Wii U GamePad and other system functions.

So, in an ideal world, which GameCube games would we like to see return, whether on Virtual Console or in full-blown HD remaster form? Omitting those already re-released on Wii under the New Play Control! banner or philosophy — the Metroid Prime Trilogy, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, the Pikmin games – as well as the aforementioned The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, there are still plenty that we'd love to play once again.

Viewtiful Joe, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, Super Mario Sunshine, killer7 and F-Zero GX are all well-known and held in high regard, but there are lesser known titles that deserve another shot too: Chibi-Robo, Geist, Odama, XIII. GameCube was home to some of the last good wrestling games in the WWE Day of Reckoning series. Titles such as Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles or The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures could also have some kind of GamePad related future.

There were regional splits for the releases of some titles as well: Europe never received Baten Kaitos Origins, nor the wonderful Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest. North America didn't get Doshin the Giant. Neither got GiFTPiA, Skip Ltd's Animal Crossing-like RPG. Wii U re-releases could be a great way to provide this content to territories that previously missed out.

How would you like to see Nintendo deal with the GameCube back catalogue on Wii U? Which games would you like to see return?

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

I dont see why not. It's just a pity this doesnt apply to Nintendo's handhelds as well. 3DS can play DS games, and GB/GBC are on the VC - but GBA games are only for ambassadors, and none are for sale. :/
HD remasterings would be great though - but I doubt Nintendo would get into that..comparable to the 3D-Classics situation.

Hokori

Hokori said:

No HD remasters please, just allow me to DL the originals on eShop, I'd like to buy Killer 7, Tales of Symphonia, Cubivore, and a few others I never owned before

Mizore

Mizore said:

I thought this would be Nintendo saying something about the Cube. :c
I also REALLY don't want to repurchase my GameCube games. >_>

ToadFan

ToadFan said:

This would be awesome, but I do hope that at least most of the current Wii VC will be availble for Wii U at launch.

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

Speaking of Baten Kaitos Origins....That wonderful game needs a review :)
I know you guys over in Europe didn't get it but ...CORBIE GET ON IT :P

akabenjy

akabenjy said:

I love this article. I lost all my GC games when I moved and it's really hard to find GC titles in Australia in Good Condition so I would happily pay for digital GC titles. I'd be happy for an HD remake of Wind Waker, Wave Race: Blue Storm & F-Zero GX too, that would be awesome.

Shining-Void

Shining-Void said:

Unless they have a way that I don't need to repurchase them, i'll just buy a new gamecube. Games like ToS, LoZ wind waker, and baten kaitos, I would love to have on Wii U to play them instantly.

Rekiotsu

Rekiotsu said:

I like to have see GC games in virtual console and HD remastering wouldn't be bad either for some classic games. I like to see lot of different GC games because there is plenty of good games that i missed out on GC era.

Stix_Remix

Stix_Remix said:

Depends on the price and what they offer. Otherwise, I'd just keep my Wii and buy used GC games.

Freak-Show

Freak-Show said:

WWE Day of Reckoning I and II were awsome. Hopefully they make digital downloads for these GameCube games.

FOREST_RANGER

FOREST_RANGER said:

I still have my Gamecube with me, but I'd be happy to purchase VC Gamecube games if it brings money to publishers. While it may taint the Gamecube experience that I can prolong, I feel obligated to show my appreciation.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

As I understand it, there's a big technical problem here that might be a tragic oversight by Nintendo: according to current reports, the Wii U's gamepad and Pro controller do not feature analog shoulder buttons. That would mean breaking key functionality on many GC titles, including my personal favorite, Mario Sunshine.

This problem has me concerned.

sdcazares1980

sdcazares1980 said:

It's kinda pointless when the competitors are now selling these games for digital downloads, and for a good reason too. Just release the GC games as DL games. There is absolutely no need to give them an HD remastered version.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

I love Odama... it would be great with Wii U's integrated Microphone, too. Too bad Nintendo hasn't thus far shown ANY interest in making technological updates for their classic games. 'Tis a bloomin' shame.

renaryuugufan92

renaryuugufan92 said:

hopefully we will be able to download both GameCube and Wii titles because i really want F-Zero GX, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil 2 (the N64 edition if they can, i know it didn't release on Wii due to its big file size, and i also know it was ported to the GameCube too~ :P), the Metroid Prime series, Fatal Frame 3, Zelda: Wind Waker, and so much more~

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

I have a HUGE Gamecube collection. I don't like the idea of buying these games again. For this reason I think I am going to keep my current Wii (with Gamecube compatibility) "if" I decide to get a Wii U.

I know, I know the Wii U looks like it will be a great system and I am a huge Nintendo fan (hence my large Gamecube and Wii libraries) but I also have an Xbox 360 and with Smartglass tech I don't think I am going to rush out a get a Wii U a launch. I still have a ton of games I have to get caught up on the Gamecube, Wii and VC.

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

I've heard rumors of GameCube games being available to download on the Wii U. Usually Nintendo shoots down untrue rumors faster than Duck Hunt and I haven't heard any denial regarding the GameCube downloads.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

There really isn't a whole lot on Gamecube I'd want that wasn't already ported to Wii. Metroid Prime Trilogy covers those games, Pikman 1 and 2 have both found their way in all territories as well as various other titles. Notable exceptions would be Super Smash Bros Melee, Super Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker. All I'd really like to see in HD, not as remakes, but as enhanced ports via Virtual Console. Considering the smaller line up of worthwhile games on the Cube, this seems the likely option to me.

cfgk24

cfgk24 said:

the Best Games on Gamecube:
Spartan Total Warrior
Smugglers Run: Warzones - the best driving game ever!
I was still playing these when Wii was at least 3 years old!

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

@firearrow505 It's true! Both controls have digital triggers that have been confirmed from several Nintendo reps and people who did hands on at E3.

@Gamesake Not sure of all the games but off the top of my head, Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, F-Zero GX, Smash Bros. Melee, a couple Mario Party games... I'll come back in a bit.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

From the moment Nintendo said Wii U wouldn't be GC compatible I was sad. However this means that my Wii will be set up under the TV for many, many years to come. It's up to Nintendo to step up and deliver me a better game then "F-Zero GX" for me to stop playing GC. And since it's likely they will never make another "Rogue Leader", the Cube stays on.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

@Miss_Birdo

Ah, I didn't see that you beat me to the topic of analog buttons.

But even though the Classic Controller might be an option, as some have pointed out, that still means we won't be able to play these game directly on the gamepad, which is disappointing. I'd like a little portable GC in my living room on that screen. I suppose it won't be happening.

cfgk24

cfgk24 said:

@SteveW
Spartan was like one of the last games ever to be released on GC I think - at a time when the GC stands in GAME shops were very tiny and mostly selling 2nd hand games. The playability, story and music were excellent!

Smugglers Run Warzones had a fab multiplayer with insanely clever AI. . . .

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

Both the Gamepad and Controller Pro have digital as of now unless they decide to change them before release.

hillbill26

hillbill26 said:

Nintendo better find a way to use GameCube games on the Wii U, or else i will be heartbroken. They should bring the games on Wii U anyway. They were good.

madgear

madgear said:

They should simply release a more expensive version of the Wii U with full backwards compatability at a higher price in limited numbers. Plenty of people would be willing to pay a little extra to have access to their retro library on one machine.

Downloads won't work for me. For a start there's the principle of it - I've already paid literally thousands for these games, so not paying for them again. Secondly, several games won't make an appearance due to licensing issues. Will Rogue Leader get a release now that Factor 5 have gone bust? What about games like Twin Snakes, the entrie Resident Evil series, Ikaruga, Skies of Arcadia, Crazy Taxi (with original music and destinations), Capcom Vs SNK 2, Twilight Princess with pad control, Tales of Symphonia, Phantasy Star Online, Megaman X Collection, retro compilations from now defunct companies and any game based on a license from that time? Will they ever get released? If so over how many years? Would a Wii U even have enough storage space for them? The throwaway history of gaming really sickens me sometimes.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

It's only a matter of time until Nintendo officialy confirms downloadable Gamecube games. There might be some games I never played that I would try first on the Wii U, but I would like to play classic favorites of mine like Wario World, Luigi's Mansion, and Super Mario Sunshine as well. Whether they make them HD ports or VC ports, who knows.

One thing that I would really like would be playing Gamecube games on the Gamepad alone away from the TV as if they were portable. Now that would be something.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

Any self-respecting fanboy should have a Gamecube (or seven) anyway. if you don't, now is the time to buy one because they are cheap as chips.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Naw, like the GBA, I'm good on most Gamecube games, so I'd only use it for one or two games and that's it (Kirby Air Ride and maybe Billy Hatcher). Even then, I'd probably just use its digital release as an excuse to buy the Disc version.

Emaan

Emaan said:

HD remakes, eShop digital downloads, anything would make me overjoyed. The Gamecube is my favorite system, ever. :D

Link-Hero

Link-Hero said:

@Miss_Birdo
How do you know that the shoulder buttons are digital and not analog? Did you actually try any of the controllers before making that judgment?

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

make both digital and physical copy versions available.

and i agree with those that say these should be released like a nintendo selects collection for the wii.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

There's quite a lot of GC games I would buy if they made them available on the WiiU. I'd love it.

Tim_Slim

Tim_Slim said:

Killer 7 (with NPC) would be bloody brilliant

Would love to play Chibi-Robo again too...I really regret not hanging on to this, after I decided to give away all my GC games

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I think Legend of Zelda Windwaker should be part of an HD re-mastered collection along with Majora's Mask and Link to the Past. You could also have a non HD 3D version of the game as well for the 3DS. I'd like to see F-Zero GX as an HD remaster as well as Viewtifyk Joe. The other could be as digital downloads. So a mix of the two. Nintendo need to do this as it would appeal to the traditional gamer sector as well.

Nardar

Nardar said:

Mike I can't believe you forgot Mario Kart Double Dash. As long as they have:
Mario Kart Double Dash
Super Mario Sunshine
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Luigi's Mansion
I will praise Nintendo!

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

I'd love to see Fire Emblem and Paper Mario.

I'd also love to see some Wii games that haven't been released in the EU made available on the Wii-U e-shop, such as Mario Super Sluggers and Excite-bots.

siconlol

siconlol said:

@warioswoods I see what you mean >_< But what I think might happen is they might have those buttons on the touch screen maybe? Monster hunter had that option on the 3ds for people ago didn't have the 3ds pro thingy

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

Analog shoulder buttons aren't really... I don't think you can emulate them on a touch screen.

They were pressure sensitive, as the game would know how much you pressed the button down. Where as digital you either press the button or you don't.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I would dearly love to see Mr. Driller Drill Land get a worldwide release on the Wii-U. Truly a treasure and the main reason I bought a Japanese Wii.

Tim_Slim

Tim_Slim said:

Fingers crossed for Chibi, for those who know it and those who don't, Miss_Birdo

ARE YOU LISTENING NINTENDO!?

Nintendoro

Nintendoro said:

I'm not buying Wii U to play GC or Wii games on it. I need it for Wii U games. My Game Cube is long been retired. Still works perfectly though

Ras

Ras said:

This may be greedy, but for the Wii U, I would like to see them work on batches of VC games all at once and release them whenever they are ready. No more of this "dribble them out one a week, when we feel like it." Just, "Okay, we've got the emulations of ten games done. I'm going to put them up for sale." Exceptions would be for games like Wind Waker, which would be enhanced.

Hokori

Hokori said:

If they came to wii U VC I'd rebuy chibi Robo and WarioWorld so I could complete them again, I sadly can't play disks on my wii anymore, Im also really hyped to buy Kirby RTDL and SS LOL :D

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

I, too, would love for a couple Gamecube games to get some extra love besides a simple VC version.

Wind Waker, in particular, would be fantastic with an HD makeover and would take very little effort. It looks amazing in HD and the style is, indeed, timeless. Many of the textures go blocky at high-res but they are very simple textures to make hi-res versions of. Also, now that the "controversy" of the look has blown over, more people are likely to check it out.

(For me, Wind Waker is like the original Zelda and Zelda III in that it's easy to go back to and play on its own terms. Ocarina is wonderful but is hard to look at and Twilight Princess is starting to feel the same way. Zelda II feels more dated than the original Zelda strangely enough. )

I could see a Mario Sunshine with the Gamepad used for water aiming maybe? I kinda don't like the water mechanic as it is. It's inventive, but not very fun compared to other Mario play mechanics.

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

Am I the only one who thought that Viewtiful Joe was pretty, stylish & funny, but not necessarilly fun to play? I mean it was OK, but wasn't it...you know...just a beat-em-up (ocassionally a shoot-em-up) with a bullet-time mechanic? I don't know, maybe it's just me? But I've owned that game for years now and still haven't found the will to finish it.

ToneDeath

ToneDeath said:

If I'm allowed to dream...Wind Waker - 1080p with optional GamePad or Skyward Sword style MotionPlus controls, and a Master Quest mode that includes the extra dungeon they had to cut out the first time.

Rogue Squadron - A compilation of the best missions from all three games (N64 levels remade with GC graphics), 1080p with some optional motion/pointer controls of some kind.

Resident Evil - If they still have all the stuff to make those pre-rendered backgrounds stored somewhere, dig 'em up and put them back together to work in 1080p. Try to keep the camera angles, lighting and composition the same. I guess you'd want to have it in widescreen now; cropping the top and bottom (and therefore quite a bit of the awesome art design) would be a shame, though I guess the upside might be it would heighten the sense of claustrophobia.

bahooney

bahooney said:

Eh. What, like eight games would get released? There's still plenty of N64 games unreleased. My hopes are low.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I can definitely think of a few Gamecube games I would love to buy digitally. I would be especially interested in the more expensive/rare games like Tales of Symphonia, Fire Emblem, Ikaruga, and Skies of Arcadia. Of course, I want plenty more than those, I've been itching for a good reason to replay Chibi Robo for instance. What I want to know is how much these games would cost. Following the current VC model, they might be $15 each, and I for one wouldn't re-buy a single game I already own for that price (though games I didn't own yet would still be fair game).

Also, does anyone else wish Nintendo would follow Sony's example and include full scans of game manuals with downloadable games? I probably wouldn't use them much, but they would be perfect for the Wii U. You could check the manual on the remote screen while the game is paused, just like if you were checking a real manual. Plus, I'd love to flip through some of those old SNES and N64 manuals.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

No mention of Metal Arms: Glitch in the System? With some sort of netplay component, that underrated gem would become a multiplayer staple!

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

And of that list, I've played the pikmins and the metroids. baten kaitos doesn't count, personal reasons. I would love to see these on VC!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@SilverBaretta My friend played Metal Arms, and I always wanted to give it a try after looking over the Nintendo Power ads a zillion times. I wouldn't buy it without online, though.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

I'm going into the Wii U assuming that they have a plan for the Cube, and digital downloads will probably be the way to go. I'm sure as we get closer to launch they'll make an announcement saying the GCN will be added to the VC on the new Nintendo Network. This would seem to open the door for Saturn and Dreamcast downloads too perhaps?

Redfield_Lynch

Redfield_Lynch said:

For me the biggest let down from nintendo was the fact that wiiU won't be able to upscale wii games... having said that, i still have my GC connected so, to have the possibility of playing those games in HD would be a dream come true. Since wiiU won't be able to do it, the thing i would ask would be to make HD GC games available both in digital and physical formats... i still prefer to have the real thing :-D

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I can't add much to this but reconfirm the obvious titles that MUST be available asap for download:
Mario Sunshine
Mario Kart DD
Zelda games (all)
Smash Bros Melee
F-Zero GX
Mario Party 6/7 would be good too but I guess not as necessary.
Also I hope that my gamecube controllers will still be compatible with the WiiU, though I doubt it as I've never heard any confirmation that they will be, just the 'pro controller'... and I'm not sure how that compares!
Another thing that bothered me was that when playing a GC game on the Wii, the opening screen missed out the fun little cube rolling around the G... a small issue I know but it really was fun to watch on the actual Gamecube console! If they bring that back for the downloads it would make me smile again :)

Ren

Ren said:

... or it will be none of those things. I'd expect that more than anything. It plays Wii games and there are cube games re-released for Wii as mentioned there, so get those and stick them in your WiiU. I can't see them saying more than that or maybe releasing 4 or 5 big first party games on VC a year or two after launch. I wish I had more faith in Nintendo, but I've lost a lot of it as they failed to embrace the 21st century. don't expect any advertising or special deals for them either, why would you want people to actually WANT to go to the WiiU online store?

Jaco

Jaco said:

Just have each title able to play in HD when they are released, just like how the n64 games on wii could go in 480p have the gamecube games ready to goat a higher resolution

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Just give me Mario Sunshine 2 and we'll call it even. I ain't even mad about analog triggers if they give me a proper sequel. Put Koizumi on it at once.

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

Hmmm, remade GC titles...

Zelda: Wind Waker remixed in HD and using the WiiU Game Pad to serve as the second screen for the Tingle Tuner? Yes, please!

BRAINFOX

BRAINFOX said:

They should make an Okami HD version! The Wii U is perfect for it! Nintendo, please get Capcom to get this version released before Sony's!

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Here's an idea keep your Wii if you have an older version or pick up a Gamecube than you dont have to worry about GC games coming or not coming to Wii U.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

If Nintendo doesn't VC the GCN games, I won't worry too much. I will keep my Wii when I get a Wii U, so no big deal with the actual PLAYING of the games. And as for the GETTING of the games, there is a game store near my house that sells games for just about everything "retro." NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, PS1, PS2, Xbox, and GCN. Hell, even 3DO, Sega Saturn, and Sega Genesis. I don't think they sell Atari games, but I don't even have an Atari...(or any of the above systems besides GCN, GB, and GBA.)

Gruntilda

Gruntilda said:

Chibi Robo and Geist were the majority of my childhood summer. I would like to see those return on Wii U in some form.

Drewciffer

Drewciffer said:

They really do need to digitize the GCN library! I would buy more GCN games than wii games easily.

Dauntless

Dauntless said:

The WiiU should be able to play gamecube games if it can play Wii Games. The only reason why it doesn't is because it doesn't have the gamecube ports, and Nintendo doesn't want to emulate the gc controller with the tablet or pro controller. They could have done the emulation with the Wii but didn't so its no surprise that the newer Wii and WiiU which both lack the ports don't support it. Its sad that Nintendo always takes the easy way out instead of investing more into their systems to push it too its full potential. At least we are getting full backwards compatibility with the previous gen (Wii). That's more then can be said of the 360/PS3.

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

I would love to see Gamecube games on the VC. Though I would be more likely to buy them if they included both widescreen and HD support. Adding "New Play Control" ('mote and 'chuck please!) options for games like Geist would make them an instant buy. I would rebuy Eternal Darkness just to support that game in hopes that it would one day get a sequel. Make it so Nintendo!

FyreeTSG

FyreeTSG said:

GC DL's would be great---except I'll stick w/ my GC and my Action Replay---
but I'd love to see SOUL CALIBUR II in HD..
I still want Virtual Boy to get some long-overdue love though

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

i dont want to buy games that i still own and can play perfectly fine on my current wii

i get the no gamecube controller slots, but i dont know why they didnt take gamecube discs, but just use the pro controller for them instead of the gamecube controller, then all you need is memory card slots

ill probably dig up a gamecube and set it up with the wii u in this case

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

It could be better a GC controller and memory adapter to use them in the Wii U and use retrocompatibility with GC discs but all we know Nintendo won´t do it.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Game Cube would look great rendered in HD. Like the N64, I don't think Wii-U would have any problem rendering Game Cube graphics in HD. Super Mario Sunshine would look gorgeous. By the way, in the original game, you push the button partially down to run and spray at the same time, and push the trigger button until it clicks to stand in place and spray. It would be possible to use both triggers to spray, one to spray while running and one to spray while standing still.

Other games, such as Sonic Adventure, actually used the analog triggers as run buttons to control speed. That would be a little more difficult to pull off.

BTW, didn't the original Wii Classic controller have analog triggers, despite never being used? It seems like a serious oversight and a step backwards to me.

LightSamus

LightSamus said:

I'd rather not have to re-buy all my GAMECUBE games digitally just to play them on the WiiU. I'm going to keep my Wii, and turn it into a "Gamecube".

madgear

madgear said:

@JayceJa You don't even need memory card slots - they could just let you save in the Wii U's internal memory. Granted you'd lose your saves and might have to play through a few titles again, but it's a small price to pay - infact I'd quite enjoy doing that.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

It seems I can't find my previous comment on this article...
Aanyways, it IS a problem that there's no analog shoulder buttons, but I think Nintendo will find work-arounds for it, for example edit the games for twin digital shoulder buttons when needed, as StarDust suggested.
@StarDust Indeed, the original Classic Controller had analogs.

ScruffyYoshi

ScruffyYoshi said:

Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart DD, Paper Mario and Zelda Wind Waker please. The latter 2 cost about £30 each on ebay :s

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

I don't care that the Metroid Prime Trilogy was rereleased on the Wii, I want a rererelease in HD!!!!

sebman30

sebman30 said:

i know this sounds stupid but i had this dream that satoru iwata announced that the codes on the back of n64 games unlocked them on the wii U so you wouldnt have to buy them again and donkey kong 64 was allowed with that..........best dream ever.............i wish that was true :(

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

Thankfully, there are plenty of Wii's out in the wild, so we won't need to worry about not being able to play physical Gamecube games 20 years from now. My NES and SNES are both over 20 years old, and still work!

Mike1

Mike1 said:

Doesn't really matter to me because I still own my Gamecube and all the games I ever wanted for it.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

@sebman30 You have one creative scheming mind. :) Too bad they want to make as much money they can, and they know that Gamecube on VC will sell.
Tools like me who already own Mario 64 on N64 have bought it on Wii, so why wouldn't we buy Sunshine on Wii U? :D

JIMBOISAJIMBO

JIMBOISAJIMBO said:

Good news, more games in the Virtual Console/E Shop is always a bonus, Gamecube had some great games. I've still got my all my GC games though, i'd be a lot happier if they added Saturn and Dreamcast plus if reports that Nintendo are offering big percentages on online games they'd be mad not to. Plus the pro controller looks perfect for dreamcast games.

Gameday

Gameday said:

man make these games online and we got a deal for re-download if not ill just get the classics that i always wanted but never had the chance to get.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Is it just me, or do the N64 games on Wii VC have upgraded resolution? Couldn't GC downloads also just have better resolution without any fancy editing of the original code?

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

@gamermii #115
That sometimes happen to me too, it looks like it has posted it double, but when you reload the page it's actually just one post.

BoundbyEarth

BoundbyEarth said:

I'd stick with my old Gamecube if they chose not to release GC games on Vc. I love the Gamecube<3.

lynx24

lynx24 said:

that is great idea i jst recentlybught a gamecbe wthhegameboy player and 2 games zelda the minish camp an zelda oracle of seaons im buying zelda the collecters addition fou he gamecube niendo doesnot makeeny mony of thse game no more but if they would sell them o the wii u frome thewii sho nline then i woulden ven bother buying t he gameceiss buth wii u in the next 4 mounths an download every singlelda game thier is if not il tick wit my old consals and classic games

Doge

Doge said:

i dont really care. my gamecube got traded in, so ill get a used one a Gamestop for $30.00

Starzsixty9

Starzsixty9 said:

I always hang on to my old systems... sure I have an entire bookshelf busting full of 20 years of Nintendo goodness, and it's a pain to switch out each system when I went o play it, but I can't see buying all my games twice for convenience sake :p hopefully they re-release some more obscure, hard to find titles..

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

Of course I'd rather just play GC discs I already have but I'd buy Eternal Darkness (awesome game), Killer7 and a few others again. Killer7 for motion controlled aiming.

Sampsonist

Sampsonist said:

@akabenjy Whol!, I sure hope they put Tak And the Power of Juju (GCN), Super Smash Bros, Melee (GCN), Mario Kart Double Dash (GCN), Mega Man X Collection (GCN), etc. & I would also like it if they made it, so that you can choose to either download the CGI/3D (such as N64, GCN etc.) VC games in HD etc. to.

Kirk

Kirk said:

I fully expect to see GC games supported on Wii U via the eShop and if I don't I will be hugely disappointed in Nintendo's utter stupidity in this matter.

lococo987

lococo987 said:

Having lost all of my GameCube games due to scratches on them from a new baby brother I would love to see the GameCube releases on the Wii-U. But I would like it in a way so that say, your Wii-U breaks, there would be a way to get it back on the next one you buy. Like an account. (Not sure if they already have this or not as I have not yet bought anything over the network.) But the account should need a login to play if you switch Wii-U consoles. I really liked Shadow the hedgehog, Super Mario sunshine, even Custom-Robo! Seems like I like all the odd games that don't pertain to their original versions doesn't it? Wii-U would be an even greater game console if this were to happen. (In my opinion.)

Shasta

Shasta said:

I would love to see Mario Superstar Baseball released for the Wii U's Virtual Console. I would especially love it if you could play online--so I could play two-players with my buddy in another state.

Gregor

Gregor said:

First of all the Wii U doesn't get GameCube compatibility because it doesn't need it, those disks of yours aren't going to last forever and Nintendo knows this, so they are going to port them over through VC. They know you will buy them because you are worried about your disks, more power to them! Disks are not going to last forever but digital does. Also people asking for games like SSBM or a Mario kart or party game need to shutup, Nintendo is not focused on remaking those, they are games that ADD with their next installment.

tommygh

tommygh said:

My first video game was Metroid Prime: Echoes. Since then, my Gamecube died due to being overgrown with mildew in storage. I played Corruption on the Wii, which was a fantastic ending to the trilogy. I still haven't played Fusion, so that would be a great addition, aside from being able to purchase the Trilogy for the Wii (which I'm not keen on). I'd also like to see Spartan: Total Warrior added if the Gamecube games surface on the Wii U.

TJCeltic

TJCeltic said:

As a Tech person I see no reason at all why Nintendo cannot develop an app that is a GameCube VC that when clicked it lets us who have a HDD plugged in, copy the ROM of my own mini DVD (GameCube disk) that Nintendo app sees it as copyright by Nintendo and copies it in a encryption way but playable to the VC and let us use the Game pad as the controller also letting us switch from TV mode to game pad viewing mode. As where all cannot be pirated but remain copyrighted by Nintendo.

Odyssey93

Odyssey93 said:

HD Collections are a brilliant Idea. Would love to see games like:
Zelda:Twilight Princess (to go with the already planned Windwaker)
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance / Radiant Dawn HD Bundle
Tales of Symphonia: Chronicles (Already announced for PS3, but would be great for the Wii U sales)
I would honestly buy a Wii U if they did this!

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

My girlfriend and I are playing through Paper Mario for the Wii's VC. It'd be awesome to see Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door eventually released on Wii U's VC.