Mario Kart 7 Update Available Now

Posted by James Newton

Commence updating!

The exploit-fixing update for Mario Kart 7 is available now.

It patches up glaring shortcuts in the game's Wuhu Island Loop, Wuhu Mountain Loop and GBA Bowser Castle 1 courses. You won't be able to play online if you don't download the update, so hopefully this'll level the online playing field.

Here's how to update your game:

1) Make sure your 3DS is updated to the most recent system software. To do this, open up your System Settings, tap Other Settings then navigate to page four and select System Update.
2) After the update has finished, hold L or R from the Home Menu to open up 3DS Camera.
3) Tap the chequerboard icon in the bottom-left corner.
4) Align the frame with this QR code:

Untitled

5) If the QR code doesn't work, simply open the eShop — the update should be the first icon on the bottom row. Failing that, search for "Mario Kart 7 Update data".

Now we can all go back to enjoying playing Mario Kart 7 online. Why not join one of the Nintendo Life Mario Kart 7 communities too?

Marios-love-child

Marios-love-child said:

Great News. I havent touched Mario Kart 7 since January because of this Glitch.

I know what I'll be doing tonight then :-D

thedanman64

thedanman64 said:

Hear that? That's the sound of cheaters weeping into their tissues. Now we'll see if they keep picking Wuhu Mountain Loop!

Aviator

Aviator said:

Can anyone shed light onto what the glitch was in GBA Bowser's Castle?

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Awesome! Finally I can play Wuhu Mountain Loop without the glitch... kill all glitches!

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Great to see a patch on a Nintendo game!
This is fantastic! I can finally go back to building my VR (over 7000 already) and people will be racing in my tourney more too! :) (We had 2 glitchers there for a while)

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

This isn't fair! If the glitch is in the game, it should be legal to use it. This is just ridiculous.

Ha ha, just kidding. :P I couldn't happier about this. My friends and I kinda gave up playing online because of these exploits, so now we'll definitely play again!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

With this, playing Mario Kart 7 online will be fun again and the Wuhu Island tracks will be restored to their original beauty again. This is a good day for Nintendo online and a bad one for cheaters.

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

@James (or anyone patching) Do the DK jungle and Koopa Cape glitches still work? Do both Wuhu courses glitches and the Bowser castle one still work on time trials? Otherwise the current records will be unbeatable.

Also, the American eShop description says the patch will be required for online play only after May 16th, so at least for today many people could still play online without the patch and be able to glitch, while users with the patch would have to sit and see them win the race. Maybe I will try online until the 16th just to be safe.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

Oh my goodness, thank you Nintendo!! I can finally go back to ENJOYING Mario Kart 7's online. I know I still have to wait until tomorrow before it is required, but I DON'T CARE. THAT'S ONLY 24 GLORIOUS HOURS UNTIL THE PLAYING FIELD IS LEVELLED!!

And now I will pick Maka Wuhu when I go online.

Cipher

Cipher said:

And now all the sensible folk are picking Wuhu Mountain Loop in celebration. :P

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Now every other random online racer won't pick Maka Wuhu for every single race; I'll be able to see the other tracks!

Huzzah!

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Good to hear. I noticed MK7 sales dropped out of the top 10 NPD much faster than the previous DS game. I bet that is what prompted the fix, since people were not playing online because of it.

Mollutje

Mollutje said:

Heh, I just played my first online matches since the patch. It was brilliant. There's still a surprising amount of people who chose wuhu island 2, so imagine the fun I had watching them try to do the glitch and fail miserably! It was delightful.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

I liked Wuhu Mountain Loop clitch. Last time I played online, in all 4 or 5 races, there weren´t a SINGLE Blue Shell or lighting. It was a fast and fun track with little change for those two items. Didn´t care about the other clitches though.

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

Looks like i am on my lunch now.

Guess which game I am breaking out!

THANK YOU NINTENDO!

ps you can still cheat offline!!!! odd.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Perfect timing! I am getting my 3DS back from the Nintendo Repair shop today!!! MK7 timeeeee~(waaahoooooo)!!!!

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

@XCWarrior: NPD's monthly top 10 now lists games as single entities instead of breaking them out by platform — i.e. Batman on PS3 and 360 is just listed as "Batman" in one slot. Exclusives have a tougher time charting since they have to compete with compound sales of multi-platform titles. It's why Kid Icarus failed to chart last month despite having sold enough to chart on a single-SKU breakout like the list used to do.

So I don't think MK7 not charting on NPD's list necessarily means that sales are down compared to MKDS — sales might be lower, but unless you have data for that specific title you can't say for sure.

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

@tinymario if you ask around in the MK7 thread on ths 3DS forums you might have better luck with people responding to friend requests.
anyways, i`m glad the glitch has been sorted, finally

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Sweet. I stopped playing online because I was so damn sick of playing Wuhu Mountain Loop.

Shirma_Akayaku

Shirma_Akayaku said:

I bet that around 1/3 or 1/4 of MK7 players are very dependent on this glitch. And there are players that just solely rely on this glitch to win or get vr.

SBOY

SBOY said:

@Ulala let's wait and see some VR goes down! Oh and how does the patch work ? I mean it's probably not a patch channel like for Zelda on Wii... Does it go on the MK7 card or it goes on the system ?

Adam

Adam said:

Hooray! I hope I can make the kart party tonight.

And wow, I had to look up the Bowser's Castle one. That one's pretty bad, too.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Finally! Now playing online can be enjoyable again. Can't wait to see the cheaters fail miserably :D

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Great to hear! It's pretty sad when you have to cheat at a game to feel better about yourself. :p
I think I'd get beat online even if I cheated. haha. I'm good at games, don't get me wrong, but there are some super extreme people out there that I have to question if they are cheating or not!...or if I'm just not that good after all! :p

K964

K964 said:

Disclaimer: The eShop says it's not required for online play until tomorrow. There are still cheaters today.

BenAV

BenAV said:

@K964 I think that must just be a typo.
I was just playing online for a few hours and nobody managed to cheat, and the Australian eShop says the 15th, I'm pretty sure.

BenAV

BenAV said:

@James I see, well, it looks good. :P

And just to add to my other comment, the Australian eShop says:
"Please note that from 15 May 2012, this update will be required to play online multiplayer."

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

@James
I know this isn't the place for this but, how can we exchange Friend Codes to play online? Or do you only exchange with close friends? Maybe your FC is already filled to the max 100. Just checking...would like to have you in my Friends list. I understand if that's not possible. :)

Knux

Knux said:

Oh sweet, now I can play MK7 online without having to worry about those d*mn cheaters ever again! :D

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

1st off Are we having a NL race 2night?
2nd off everyone pick the wuhus, just to annoy the glitchers :)

James

James said:

@Gustoff We have a great thread in the forums dedicated to 3DS friend codes :) Mine is in the first page somewhere. I won't have time to play online this week but I'd like to join up for some races next week!

CosmoXY

CosmoXY said:

All of you crying about cheaters are making me lol. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. That's what I did and I didn't feel one bit bad about it. I'm happy the glitches are fixed, but having them there didn't ruin it for me.

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

FINALLY GLAD this glitch is dead. I found out I had to do a system update to play MK 7 online this morning. So I knew it finally had to be the patch for the Maka Wuhu glitch and other glitches. I don't understand one thing about this glitch patch though. Why would it not work OFFLINE but for the ONLINE gameplay portion, it works OK now. Even though it may not be important to some, it kind of is to me. Plus, I think I will join everyone here for a party tonight. Celebrations are INDEED in order. Thank god Nintendo FINALLY listened to their fans about this glitch problem. Now if only we can get new characters and some new tracks via DLC, this whole game would be worth playing even more. :)

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

@James
Thanks, yeah, that forum is where I got most of my friends list from. I've got about 10 spots left to fill up to the max 100. I'll look for your FC on that forum. If you care to add me, my FC is 1805-2174-4646. I'll have to add you later when i get home though as i cant do it now cause i'm at ... :)

Ai64

Ai64 said:

At last for the fix patch! I haven't been playing that much online on Mario kart 7.
So, better start playing some more. :)

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

It's a QR code with a bag on it!?

Anyhow, I'd be even happier if the patch caused those attempting the old shortcuts to be booted and immediately demoted massively in their online ranking, but this will do for now.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

It's interesting how you can delete the update... But you still can't play online without it haha.

Back to MK7! :D

OrdonianLink

OrdonianLink said:

Time to select Maka Wuhu and make them all go through MY tourture I've been dealing with for months >:3

ReindeerDasher

ReindeerDasher said:

I will try to play online today to watch a ton of NOOBS FAIL!!!!!!!!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
More VR for me, noobs!
Bet ya wish ya never cheated :P

CommanderAudio

CommanderAudio said:

I seriously am playing MK7 tonight for sure, but let me say just one thing
Q. Why not join one of the Nintendo Life Mario Kart 7 communities too?
A. Because they're empty, duuuuuhh....

Onett

Onett said:

This patch won't be enough to bring me back. Mario Kart Wii is far more superior minus the hackers.

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

Awesome! I may actually go back to playing. Though now I don't have an excuse for sucking :/

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

@TinyMario This isn't the place to find friend codes. If you just google "3DS friend code exchange" or something like that, you'll find a bunch of forums and threads that are specifically for exchanging friend codes, and you'll get a lot more people to do it with there!

Jahir

Jahir said:

YAY! Wuhu Montain is such a great track and now it can be played how it was meant to be played :D

@Duney: Come on dude, where's you honor? Cheating is for losers and you cannot change that,

CosmoXY

CosmoXY said:

@Jahir Relax "dude." It was simply exploiting the same shortcut that typically at least 5 out of 7 other users in the race were also exploiting. Everyone knew about it, and it hadn't been fixed until now, so I don't call it cheating. I enjoyed beating the noobs at their own game. Taking the high road (not exploiting the same glitch that nearly everyone else was) in this particular instance only resulted in you placing near the bottom of the pack every time Maka Wuhu was selected, and I wasn't content to settle for that.

Like I said before, I'm glad it's fixed, but I wasn't crying over people doing it before it was.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Duney: You may not call it cheating, but everyone else does. You may not care, and that's on you, but those of us who don't want to play Maka all the time thanks to other people just trying to get their VR up with a quickness are definitely glad to see this fix. Thank you for patching it, Nintendo!

RYBlast

RYBlast said:

I'm going to choose Maka Wuhu and laugh at those turds who will attempt to do the shortcut but ultimately fail. Time for revenge.

Jahir

Jahir said:

@Duney: I agree with you, that's the reasonable way to keep playing without going all frustrated, but utimately you're cheating. Lately when Maka Wuhu was selected I pressed the Home button and quit the game, then I joined again in the same party :)

RYBlast

RYBlast said:

Someone just attempted to do the glitch three times and ended up getting last place. Today is a glorious day for all Mario Karters.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Finally! It's unbelievable that it took so long but at least they patched it. I'm actually excited to get back to playing it online again.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

You know it's great that Nintendo is actually patching their games, forgoing the previous excuse that it wasn't possible with this game or was unfair, but the timing is... quite unusually late.

Onett

Onett said:

@RYBlast

Of course! Without the hackers, MKWii would be far more superior. Now only if Nintendo would patch MKWii as well. Bear in mind that this is my opinion and I am entitled to it. :)

CosmoXY

CosmoXY said:

@theblackdragon Guys, I've said it twice now, I'm glad they fixed it too. But I'm not ashamed for having exploited the Maka Wuhu glitch when almost everyone else I raced against was using it too. If you want to get all uptight and look down your nose about it that's fine, have fun propping yourself up as some kind of superior gaming purist. But no, I'm not going to just lie down and let all the noobs beat me, or power down my system, just because people like you say it's cheating.

And for the record, I never select Maka Wuhu. I'm a good enough racer that I select Random every time, I don't need to pick the courses with the glitches to win.

Shock_Tart

Shock_Tart said:

i agree with what black dragon said. im stoked that maka wuhu has been fixed because the only way to keep up against the people who glitched was to use the glitch yourself. although i have to admit i never picked the map, i usually stuck with random as well. but happy nintendo decided to listen to their fans and fix the game.

BradPJ

BradPJ said:

@Duney To be honest I also did the glitch, but only when I saw that every other player had done so, I'd hold back until I saw everyone attempting it, not too far behind mind or I've got no chance of catching up, but just enough to see whats happening. If one other player hadn't attempted it I would race it out with them. But I know exactly what you mean about doing it just to stay in the competition. There was no point in racing normally when every other player would do the glitch.

Saying that it was still amazingly annoying to play, as everyone choose that course. I don't quite understand why everyone always choose it however since everyone knew how to do glitch the anyway so it was still a level playing field. I'm so glad that they fixed it because now we get some variety in the courses.

CosmoXY

CosmoXY said:

The cool thing is though, once your VR gets higher around 2500 or more and you're playing other players with that level or higher VR, I found that a lot less people would select Maka Wuhu. It seemed that good players didn't want to choose that course.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

@Duney
Fair enough if that's your stance. Still, there's a whole lap of this course that you just skip whenever you do this. Isn't that kind of a waste? That's the part that bugs me the most.

And for anybody who didn't hear me say it the first time: we in the gaming community have a word for those who line up and run off of cliffs. Have some dignity. Don't be a lemming.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

The best feature is that it will finally prevents idiots from choosing that course over and over.

But I wish they'd also gone ahead and added a desperately needed feature: limit the recurrence of the same track per set to 1. Make it just a community feature if you must, but add it somehow. I'd also like to see "veto" votes, so that you as a player can vote to not play a certain level instead of choosing one, which just removes that level from the selection list if someone else picked it.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

@RYBlast

Well, that makes sense, because everyone wants to test out the patch or see what happens. But once the initial laughs are done, I'm sure it will go back to normal.

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

THANK GOD!!!!!!!!! Everytime I go online 7 people pick Maka Wuhu, and they never pick anything else! ecursed noobs!

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

Just wait, all of those noobs are gonna jump off the cliff and be like: "WHY ISN'T IT WORKING" And then I'll be across the finish line before they even know what's going on. ^_^

Chariblaze

Chariblaze said:

@Red_Kinetic Not sure about Wuhu Island Loop and Bowser Castle 1, but Wuhu Mountain Loop had a part that would let one fall of the track and come back 30 seconds ahead of everyone else.

So Time Trials will always still be able to be borked, as the patch is deletable, but this is wonderful news for online.

samuelduh

samuelduh said:

Fresh off of Kid Icarus I can finally start to play MK7 :) i know what ill be doing all day!

felix330

felix330 said:

The greatest thing is watching the players who still try to use the glitch and now always end up being last. :D

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

FYI, it is hilarious when your playing online and people try the glitch! So worth picking Wuhu Mountain Loop!

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

I agree 100% with Duney on comment #110. I myself don't try to do the glitch on Maka Wuhu cause I always want to try and finish the race on that selected course the fair and legal way. Now I know that ppl get upset and drop out for when others use the glitch to get a win and tbh, they have a right to be upset and drop out if they feel they want to. It's just that with the way how I see things, I just don't like the fact that at times, that ppl will call me or other fair playing racers cheaters like say in an 8 Player race for example when say like 5 - 6 racers out of the whole bunch will go to abuse the Maka Wuhu glitch to get a cheap win. But then when you for example, if I or others go to use the glitch just to try and show the DAM cheaters a thing or two and beat them at their own game, you still get called a cheater for it. Just to clarify in my FINAL CLOSING statement: I am known as 3DS*LUIGI$ on Mario Kart 7, 3 STAR Rank, and I always try to play that course and every other for that matter the same way. I don't need to cheat to win. But just remember one thing, just in case if I was to do it just because of what I just explained about the whole 5 - 6 racers doing the glitch out of an 8 Player race, it doesn't make me look like a cheater if I do it the FAIR and LEGAL way every other time.

iPruch

iPruch said:

I'd really like to see people trying to take the bug-shortcut now (and their epic FAILS).

I hope after this update there won't be so many people choosing the same tracks again and again.

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

@iPruch

In truth, it doesn't matter if ppl choose this track anymore or not now because the glitch is gone.The Maka Wuhu course will continue to picked A LOT continuously so ppl can see all the cheaters fail and fail and FAIL.

TheKingOfTown

TheKingOfTown said:

Still works offline. :( So time trials will still use the glitch. Of course, that's not nearly as bad as broken online gameplay.

ImaRetroMan

ImaRetroMan said:

Like everyone else, i finally got back to Mario Kart, only to find people that are at 30,000 VR -.-

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I literally spent half a race this evening just parked near the old Maka Wuhu exploit and watched 5 or 6 racers continuously and fruitlessly fling themselves into the water.

Oh, what I would've given to have live voice chat at that very moment.

BenAV

BenAV said:

@Ulala The patch is only for online multiplayer.
But for local multiplayer, it's easy for everyone to just agree not to do it so that shouldn't be too much of an issue, unless all your friends are cheaters, and then you don't have to play with them. :P

And I completely agree with @Duney
I never picked the track, and I don't care so much about my VR, but I like to keep my win-loss record up considering that gets StreetPassed to everyone that I walk past, so if the track gets chosen I would always take the shortcut just so I don't run in last and get a bunch of unavoidable losses.
I don't see what's so bad about taking it if nearly every single other person in the race is taking it, it just makes it a fair race.
Also, quite often, once you beat them at their own game, the people picking the course will either quit or choose something else so then you don't have to keep racing on the track over and over.
But anyway, it's patched now, so now everyone can race fairly and people can stop whining about it.

Also, I don't understand why everyone always says it gets picked every race.
I've got a VR of over 10,000 so I've played a fair bit, and it would get chosen every now and then, but not noticeably more than any of the other popular tracks.
Maybe I just got lucky for the many hours I spent playing that it was never chosen much?

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Excellent, I gave up online back in January, aside from community play. Now that it is fixed, I'm back to the head of the pack in the races, excluding a few mess ups I caused and item storms. It is good to not have to worry about glitchers. Better yet I lost a race there due to items this time :D Such a nice patch.

@theblackdragon - I do believe we were to have a race. Is it still on?
PONIES PONIES PONIES ;)

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I remember being in a couple of wifi races where 5-6 of the racers glitched. I never voted for Maka-Wuhu personally, but when another racer chose it, i was like "game on!"

I am glad though that Nintendo finally patched this, because it really is a beautiful course when played correctly.

So, is it confirmed that the glitch still works in Time Trials and G.P. mode? I would hate to lose my Maka-Wuhu Rosalina ghost.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Finally~
I always hated playing on maka wuhu, because I had to do the glitch to diss out the cheaters...
Great also for wuhu island one, because having your first place stolen at the last second by that glitch was frustrating.

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

@Gridattack

DO NOT even get me started on the Wuhu Loop glitch. I first found about that one THE HARD WAY! about a month ago, and let me tell you. It really pissed me the hell off to see the ppl who used it, respawn about a few feet away from the finish line stealing my 1ST. Not as much annoying to me as the INFAMOUS Maka Wuhu glitch imo. But it had it's fair share of making some Mario Kart 7 racers like me rage.

ShinyGold

ShinyGold said:

Eh Im sorry for causing this patch i was the person who made the thing where u use two mushrooms across grass the when ur near the glitch fall into the river
i made it faster

ShinyGold

ShinyGold said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Nintendo Plz Don't Patch It Becuse U Will Make Maka Wuhu Cry Like This Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Cjimmy99

Cjimmy99 said:

Last night, I played online multiplayer and voted for the Maka Wuhu course just to taunt all the cheaters...

I guess some people didn't bother to find out what the update did, because two people on the course stayed near the beginning the entire time! Thanks Nintendo!