Nintendo Download: 29th September 2011 (Europe)

Posted by James Newton

Mario and Zelda together

There's three titles out on the Nintendo Download in Europe this week, but it's certainly a case of quality titles available. Here's what's coming up on Thursday.

3DS Virtual Console

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy, Nintendo, £3.60/€4) — This classic portable outing is fondly remembered as one of Mario's best, and now you can take it with you in your 3DS. There'll be a review soon.

DSiWare

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition (Nintendo, FREE) — The Game Boy Advance version of Link's adventure comes to DSiWare and the 3DS eShop complete with new stages, a single-player mode and local wireless multiplayer too. Oh, and it's free. What more could you ask for?

WiiWare

escapeVektor: Chapter 1 (Nnooo, 500pts) — Hopefully you've been reading our exclusive escapeVektor: Chapter 1 features to get a feel for Nnooo's latest WiiWare offering. We'll have a full review in the near future, of course.

Other than Four Swords Adventure — which is free, of course — what are you downloading this week?

Related Games

tinman

tinman said:

Nnooo shows me some love with such a bargain, so I'm going to give some back by buying escapeVektor right away. I dig the style and I most definitely dig the price. I wish you good sales, guys!

nick_gc

nick_gc said:

Oh, fantastic. I'll be downloading Zelda twice (if I can). Once on my DSi XL and also on the 3DS. I'll also be purchasing Super Mario Land 2!

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Nice little selection this week. Hope North America's is equally impressive. :D

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Yeah for the free Zelda. Already have the original cartridge of Super Mario Land 2 so I won't be picking that one up (great game though). Need a review for escapeVektor.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

It seems like we always get the VC game that Europe gets in the States on our download day (Thursday) so here's hoping we get Zelda and Mario, too ;) Can't wait...

Kifa

Kifa said:

And I will say meh. First - there is no online multiplayer in Zelda, and I have noone around my place to play that with, so basically this will loose about 75% of it's appeal. Secondly, and I know most of you will want to burn me at stake for that - I'd like Metroid II more than 6 Golden Coins, for the collector's sake. But I guess I will have to wait for this one. Rant aside - pretty solid stuff coming up this week. ;)

McRokert

McRokert said:

Yeaaah Super Mario Land 2 and Zelda, This could be the greatest Eshop week yet :) Free stuff that's great and payed stuff that's great ;D

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Kifa... This new version of Four Swords enables you to play alone (it's a new feature of this edition) so you're in luck ;)

Kifa

Kifa said:

@grumblegrumble - I know it allows me to play solo, they brag about it all over the Internet (well, almost), but the key feature in Four Swords was always the multiplayer. The singleplayer mode is, as far as I know, only a small add-on. So I really do not consider myself "in luck" on this one.

sykotek

sykotek said:

Wow, that's shaping up to be an awesome week for EU. SML2 is great. I still remember my grandmother getting that for me when I was a kid. It was so much fun. Thanks grandma. ;___;

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Yay for free Four Swords! And I wasn't expecting Super Mario Land 2 this week but that's awesome too! Best Nintendo Download I've seen for a while.

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

Nice to see Mario Land 2, but I think I'll wait for Metroid before adding any more money to my account.

Stine

Stine said:

Yay! I'm getting Zelda, of course (duh), and definitely Mario, too.

Vehemont

Vehemont said:

It's about time, hopefully it comes the the US. One of the best GB games of all time. Thursday here I come!

ToneDeath

ToneDeath said:

Awesome!

What are the chances of Super Mario Land 2 scoring anything other than 9/10 in it's review here?

Link79

Link79 said:

Holy Nintendo Joygasm Batman!
They better give this awesome update to America this week.
If they don't that'd just be cruel.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Looks like a sweet week for Europe! I so wasn't expecting Mario Land 2. Hopefully we can get that one on Thursday as well. Nice update Nintendo :)

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

nice one will get 4 swords asap.and get sml2 next time i top up.whats sml2 like compared to the other one weve already had on eshop?

Link79

Link79 said:

Don't even bother waiting for a review on Mario Land 2.
The game is awesome! No questions asked.
Download it as soon as you can!

Omega

Omega said:

Nothing for me this week. EscapeVektor doesn't look too bad, but not too good either.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

North America deserves the same selection! I now have incentive to get an eShop card!

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Woooo! Free Zelda game, I'd be really suprised if Zelda doesn't get 10/10 for being free though! Can't disagree with free! :D

ImDiggerDan

ImDiggerDan said:

Now I just need to teach one of my cats to play Zelda then I can have some four player fun.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I thought for sure the Zelda game would be the lone title. Not a bad update at all and you get a neato Wii Ware game that looks like an Art Style title.

XyVoX

XyVoX said:

Whats the reason Nintendo are giving away The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition for FREE then?

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Great news! People always say that Super Mario Land II is the best Mario Land for Game Boy, with fatter nicer sprites and tighter controls than the first, but I never got to play it on original hardware. If the PAL/NTSC releases are anything on parity with each other as they have been lately, I will be picking this up Thursday. :D

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Super Mario Land 3 is better than Super Mario Land 2. Even if it does star Wario.

Late

Late said:

It's nice to get these two great games now as it's my birthday on Thursday. I was thinking about buying presents from eShop for myself and that Mario Land 2 just cleared some things about what games I'd get.

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

Nice, Mario Land 2 was one of my first games, I loved it. I can't wait fir 4 swords!

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Bwah! I've never played Super Mario Land 2 before, so it had better come to the US. Lest there be consequences.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Hope this is the same for NA. I still have the SML2 cartridge, but I'll download it anyway so I can play it wherever I go and it will always be on my 3DS :)

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

Hopefully NA will get SML2 this week too. I was just about to download a game or two on my 3DS now that SML2 might come out I will wait till Thursday to downloand any games.

LucinaSmash

LucinaSmash said:

From NintendoWorldReport website, Japan is getting Metroid II instead.

Is NA getting both SML2 and Metroid II this week :)?

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Super Mario Land 2? Oh great. If this comes to America, then I pretty much am obligated to buy an eShop card. Curse you Nintendo!

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

will the legend of zelda four swords anniversary edition come out in America for free this week too? if so, awsome!

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

Yes The Legend of Zelda Four Swords Anniversary Edition comes out for free on Wednesday in NA. That would be even better if NA got SML2 and Metroid II this week doubt we will get 2 VC games in one week though wasn't the last time NA got 2 VC games was when we got Radar Mission and Fortified Zone?

Blaze

Blaze said:

Great! :-D

Obviously getting the free Zelda game, and Mario hass a 95% chance of me picking it up!

Collision_Cat

Collision_Cat said:

If people are wondering how Super Mario Land 2 is, I can give my opinion, having played the Game Boy version to death.
It is fun and has a nice variety of areas, and is a lot more Mario-like than SML1. However, I feel that until the final level, it's too easy, and that makes it feel quite short as you blast through it. It's certainly longer and more varied than SML1, and, say, the first Mega Man Game Boy game (don't get me wrong, I love that game, and every other one in the GB series, except for the second one), though of course the difficulty is completely the opposite of that.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

I might get SML 2, think I played that game back then.
(of course, I gotta wait for the NA release, lol)

robohobo93

robohobo93 said:

Can't wait to play Four Swords for the first time. I have a friend that's jealous because she bought it years ago for the GBA, just to find out it was multiplayer only. She was so disappointed- said Link to the Past was just a tease so she sold it.

Mario Land 2 would be nice to have as a download. Another friend gave me the cartridge and I love it. It'll have to wait though- I just spent the rest of my gift card on WarioWare Touched.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Impressive. Most impressive! This has to be the best 3DS Shop update EVER! NoA, PLEASE let this be our update! Or Four Swords + Metroid II! An update like this would end DECADES of waiting. Never got SML 2, and being a bit of a loner, I never had the chance to play Four Swords on the Link to the Past GBA game.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

The only reason I'm not insta-downloading SML2 this week (like I kept saying I would between E3 last year and the eShop's launch this year) is because I am currently without a 3DS. I would most likely download both it and Four Swords the moment I boot-up a shiny new 3DS and go into the eShop. ;)

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

Japan gets Metroid, Europe get Super Mario Land 2, North America gets.....

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I hope that NA gets SML2 been wanting to play this game for a long time and I cant play my cartridge of it cause I lost my GBA SP charger :(

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Finally a good VC game and the Four Swords we were proimised. Someone mentioned that you could play over wifi but i'd be surprised since Nintendos giving it away for free.

Link79

Link79 said:

I can see it now. Europe gets mario land 2, Japan gets Metroid 2.
In America we'll probably get Catrap or something really lame.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

I play my MarioLand in my GBA and it has color. Why the 3ds VC version doesn´t have it? (if they put a code like the L+R+Y it could be perfect)

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

... and North America gets lameballs. No, but seriously, give us Mario or Metroid, NOA. We deserve a top-tier VC game if the rest of the world also gets one. And no, Mega Man didn't count (imo).

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

FINALLY A GREAT WEEK! And I wasn't going to get Four Swords because I don't have any money for it but It's FREE!!! Also, I've been waiting for 6 Golden Coins so I'll get that.

But, hope NA gets the same thing.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@ecco6t9
The way things are going for North America vs. Japan and Europe, open-ended statements like that scare me, because in my mind I end it with "bupkis". VC Nazi pops in and says "NOTHING, NO VEE CEE FOR YOU"! Like last week. Because North America is on the low end of the totem pole right now.

And I'm not whining, I'm complaining. We don't SML 2 or Metroid II with Four Swords Thursday, you'll get whining. ;)

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

sod it ill top up in the morning. and get the mario one on thursday.from what ive seen it looks decent especially next to the 1st one.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Great week.

I already have the cart for the 6 golden coins and the four swords is the last nintendo zelda game I need, :)

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@lz20XX
The growing trend of Japan & Europe getting games we don't (example, the Project Rainfall games) and getting games before NA.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Wow, first WiiWare game I'll have purchased since Lilt Line.

I'm also annoyed about games not turning up on our shores for download. I had assumed Kappa's Trail got a European release, but I find that's not the case. A shame as I'm getting a DSi for my daughter for Hanukah and that's one of two DSiWare games she plays on my Japanese LL (the other is Spotto! aka Birds and Bombs). What gives NoE?

kenshinrurouni

kenshinrurouni said:

Can someone please tell me if they know if North America is getting this tomorrow?? ughh its making me sick to my stomach not knowing if were getting this game tomorrow

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Jamba001 I've looked on the shop, 29 September 2011 and I can't find this... great and I've just spent £10:00 trying to do so, I downloaded Rayman through DS-ware. Hopefully I have enough credit for Mario land 2 when it arrives.

Ragnarok

Ragnarok said:

Overall a good week for Nintendo downloads (trailers are great, Four Swords is a good time killer while I don't even need to explain Mario Land 2).

Here's hoping we get more weeks like this one in the future. I would love for Nintendo to release a 3D Land Demo (as well as other demo's) sometime in October, and we all know Wario Land is coming sometime soon.

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

got sml2 today good fun easy going game 4swords is topnotch too.also got lets golf 3d.the nes golf game put me in mood.its worth getting proper smart game

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Hate to be the voice of doom, but I've never really liked Super Mario Land 2 much...looks nice, plays well....but way too easy with virtually no challenge whatsoever until the final level/battle against Wario. Should take most gamers an hour or two to finish, max. Roll on Wario Land, which at least has more replay value (different endings depending on how much treasure/coins you complete it with), Zelda: Four Swords is a great freebie though, and escapeVektor looks interesting....but in general, I hate episodic games so I'd rather just wait until it's all available and see what the verdict is on it as a whole.

Oh, and it's about time Nintendo put Mole Mania on the E-shop ;)