Live Text: 3DS Events in Amsterdam and New York

Posted by James Newton

All the updates here, live!

Today on January 19th, at 9am EST / 2pm GMT / 3pm CET, Nintendo is hosting two conferences: one in New York, one in Amsterdam, at which the company will announce the release plans for its Nintendo 3DS console.

Nintendo Life's Jonathan Wahlgren (@jonwahlgren) is our man in New York and James Newton (@DaddyNewts) will be attending the Amsterdam conference, and they'll be bringing you updates throughout the day letting you know all the 3DS details you need, including:

• When the console will launch in North America and Europe;
  • How much you can expect to pay;
  • The games available at launch;
  • The exact contents of the box;
  • and much much more.

To keep up with the updates, simply keep this page open – it will refresh automatically as new updates come in, or you can follow Nintendo Life on Twitter.

Live Text - Updates will load here automatically, no need to refresh the page.

22:11

Right, it's time for our battle-scarred reporters to get some shut-eye. We hope you enjoyed our live text and stick around for impressions in the coming few days!

18:39

NL STAFF: You guys are kicking ass!

16:19

CORBS: Great to hear Kid Icarus was solid.

13:57

Bring it on!

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

I hope those AR cards become like...well, collectible or whatever. Like you could go and buy them as if they were a trading card game, lol.

Objection

Objection said:

i'll follow this for a good portion of the afternoon, then :)

Guessing between $200 and 250USD for NA, with a mid to late March release. Launch lineup will be 8 games or (likely) less and there will only be 1 or 2 games even worth considering picking up lol.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

News flash: Two men spend a night in Amsterdam.

EDIT: Misread it. One man spends a night in Amsterdam.

KiroX777

KiroX777 said:

i bought the 3DS off that chinese guy that takes them. so as far as im concerned, its out already _

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Well there are only 4 dates it could possiblly be: March 6, 13, 20, or 27. I really REALLY hope for March 6th but would settle for March 13th :) I know that Black and White are coming on the 6th but I actually think 3DS still has a chance to come out that day. Black and White obviously don't need any help selling but they could still get a boost from all the people that will be in the store getting their new 3DS systems. I try to convince myself that it must be coming in early March but I just know its gonna be March 27th :(

Wesker

Wesker said:

An Englishman in Amsterdam is worrying combination. We wouldn't want him waking up naked strapped to a lampost or anything like that. We need 3DS news!

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Release July, £220.

I'm not getting one at launch anyway, so xP

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Nintendo likes to release it's stuff on Sunday so I predict March 27th for North America. I also think that it will cost $299.

Stine

Stine said:

Is it sad that I'm more excited for the conference than I was for my birthday yesterday? I'm probably not even getting a 3DS at launch, yet I can't wait for the live stream and twitter updates about it.

Machu

Machu said:

Finally, after weeks of speculation and rumour, a message from the Mother-Ship draws near.

GIVE ME THE INFOS!!!!! .

Tar

Tar said:

I believe the max amount gamestop is taking is 250 for pre orders; but then again they said lozss was coming out this feburary.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

If only I wasn't at school tomorrow. That's bad enough, but I can't visit this site when I'm on a school computer. You can bet that I'll rush to my laptop once I come home!

UrbanYeti

UrbanYeti said:

March 14th, and $249.99 because the wii in america at launch was $50 less then at the Japanese Launch.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Just realized I never made a price prediction. Guess I just don't really care how much its gonna be. Nintendo could make a really oddball move and price it at 400 and I know that I would still buy on launch! Anyway, I'm pretty sure its gonna be 250 dollars.

x10power

x10power said:

I say the Nintendo DS will release on March 20th at a price of $249.99 in America with OoT as a launch game for us,

Lol I just saw Corbie has the same idea I did before I type this so throw me on his bet

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

Isn't GMT + 6 from CST?
Wouldn't that mean 8am CST (6am PCT)?
(at least right now while we are not observing Daylight Savings)
I'm not certain, but I believe it should be 8am CST.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

£209.99 , last Friday of March for the EU...

Launch games will include: Super Monkey Ball 3DS, Prof Layton Mask of Miracle, PES 2011 3D (we already know), Pilotwings Resort, Asphalt 3DS, Steel Diver 3DS, Rabbids in Time 3DS, Puzzle Bobble 3DS, Nintencats and dogs and Animal Crossing etc.

salty1264

salty1264 said:

today it was to cold for me to walk to school (-42) so my mom drove me cause her back hert so she didnt go to work but she is going tommorow to work so if its to cold i can read this live at home

iPruch

iPruch said:

29th March for sure. There was a leak at nintendo-europe web (specifically at Paper Mario's profile; then it was removed and changed into a "TBA" message).

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

March 21st, $275. Reason for date: 3rd month of the year, DS was released on the 21st. Put it together and ya get 3DS.

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

I think it's safe to say 21st but $250 and the launch titles will be
Rabbids Travel in Time
Rayman
My Garden Sims 3
Nintendogs
Kid Icarus
Super Monkey Ball
Super Street Fighter

smileisles

smileisles said:

Hmmm.....I'm betting 249.99 is the price for America....though I've got my fingers crossed for less. I hope I hope I hope....

ianmage1

ianmage1 said:

I just hope that the release date is either before March 23rd or after the 26th because I don't want to miss out on the launch while I'm on vacation. I preordered the 3DS at a gamestop. The 21st would be perfect. PLEASE!!!

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Dang. Gonna asleep for the whole lot. Hopefully there will be good stuff to wake up to.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

I reckon it'll be $350 in Australia, as that's what's been the price on the online sites. But I will probably get it when it gets to around $300 (or can get a good deal with some games).

skywake

skywake said:

I'd be really annoyed if it was $250US and $400AU. That made sense when $1AU got you $0.6US but our currency is almost constantly hovering above and bellow parity with the US now, there is no need for it. There is no way it costs $150 per unit to ship, advertise and distribute a $250US device here in Aus.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

I think it will be AUD$350 and released on the 24th March. But one thing I've totally forgotten about until that picture reminded me is when the red 3DS is coming out? I'm not getting one until red is released (which is fine as I have to save up for it)

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Ugh, I hate having to go to class tomorrow...why couldn't this be on Thursday? What's so special about Wednesday? xD

GamesX99

GamesX99 said:

Hmm I think Nintendo knows about the huge hype on the 3DS so I'm thinking maybe 200 - 250 dollars or if the world wants to hat on me it will be around 300 :)

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

@Skywake

It's $300 in yen though. Still...you aussies always get screwed. Rumored prices for EU are around the $300 USD mark too. Hopefully it won't be $300. The only people happy about that. Then it's pretty much guaranteed most kid's next portable electronic devices will be the significantly cheaper iTouches.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Prediction, United States: Wednesday, March 30th, $299.99. Said something else at first, then I thought of it. 30 doesn't look too different from 3D. In commercials they could morph the zero in 30 to a D to make 3D...S.:)

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Anything higher than $250 is robbery. W/ this economy, especially. Don't have a clue/guess as to when it will come out. Maybe mid-March, I suppose.

thatguy

thatguy said:

the australian release date is supposed to be some where in march and price around 300 - 350 dollars but i guess we will find out tommorow!

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@Fuzzy
Thanks. :) In my previous life, I was Don Draper. :) Actually, I've seen so much "Mad Men", I just think like an ad exec. I wish I were Don Draper. I'd have a ladyfriend right now. Or several.

@Chibi Link
Good thinking! I hope you're right. I'd rather be wrong and get it 27 days earlier than be right and get it 27 days later!

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

it it true that "bloody" has the same weight as an f-bomb in euroland? When we moderate UK content at work, we're told to treat "bloody" as profanity and reject reviews that contain it...are we making too big a deal about that word?

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I'm quite optimistic that i can leave work early today (since i almost never do that) so i can watch the event live. I really like these events somehow. When i miss them i want to watch all of the videos and screenshots as quickly as possible. And man how long it feels until they are uploaded on some sites (for good reasons though which just doesn't make the waiting any easier).
I'm going for a 250 € pricetag and a March 25th release in Europe.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

@Chibi Link
So why cant Nintendo Australia release the 3DS for $350? Its higher than when the DSi and DSiXL launched and cheaper than when the Wii launched because who would buy it for $400? Especially if people knew thats how much a Wii used to cost (and is now $100 less than that) Although it is hard to believe the DS launched at $199, everything nowadays is much more expensive for no reason. I'm starting to believe they might release it for $300 because they don't want it to cost more than a Wii or people would buy a Wii instead.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Can't believe I missed it earlier. Could also be March 5th. 305=3DS. Put a slash in there to make it 3/05 or March 5th!

Turok3DS

Turok3DS said:

I guess the price would be: 229.99 - 249.99 €
Pro Evo Soccer, Nintendogs, SSF IV, Star Fox, other useless 3rd party software (Cartoon Network, Spongebob, etc.) and a LOT of virtual console titles. Release date late March or beginning of April.
2 colors but not the same as Japan (I do hope for Red and Grey)

Phobos

Phobos said:

Not guessing. I want the FACTS. And maybe a li'l action. I do hope Nintendo doesn't disappoint us. I don't want to get second thoughts on the console. :O

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Huh? The live webstream (here: http://live.nintendo3ds.nintendo-europe.com/ ) hasn't started yet? Maybe my time changing calculations are incorrect but shouldn't it have started ~20mins ago? :( I WANTZ TEH 3DS!!!111!!1! :D

EDIT: Heh. Nevermind. My time changing calculations were WAYYYY off. See you in just under a couple of hours :P

GEOFF

GEOFF said:

If anyone thinks that in the EUSSR it's going to cost less than £250 with the weak pound against the yen and VAT at 20% they are dreaming.

GamesX99

GamesX99 said:

OK! Lets start im gonna watch the live feed and this at the same time~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

$350 is inexcusable let alone $400?! o.O You people are berzerk. Yet, Lord knows that people in this country are stupid enough to pay that much for it. Heck, the DSi XL is still retailing for $300 locally. $130 more than the full price in the U.S. Even the DS Lite is retailing for $30 more than a DSi XL in the states.

Considering the current state of the economy, and the ridiculous prices that we'll be forking over for games throughout the span of the 3DS's life, I'm not willing to pay more than $300 for the 3DS. Nintendo has gouged us enough.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Wow, the EU speaker is really nervous and hard to understand. :O

I really like the Start, Select and Home button placement! :)

HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel said:

Yeah, Laurent Fischer is a little nervous there haha. Probably because this isn't his native language. This is interesting stuff anyway.

Is there a way to watch the US show streamed online?

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Shaun the Sheep 3D? Yipeee!

I got an appointment with the accountant now, gotta go. Prob need to make sure my finances are in order so that I can buy this fracker. Pls be a lowish price, please

HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel said:

ONLY ONE FRIEND CODE!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!! :D Ah, and you can see who's online and what they're playing. Joining games with friends is supposed to be much easier too. Exciting stuff.

Phobos

Phobos said:

I love that guy's accent... LOL. Not bad from what I'm seeing so far in EU, but I really want to see the games. Street Pass seems great too.

Arcader18

Arcader18 said:

ONLY ONE FRIEND CODE PER CONSOLE!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAMAYYYGOOOODD!!!!!!! ITSSS AMAZING

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU DRAGON!!!!!! :D

OMG... I want Pilotwings Now!!!

What? I can afford it and it's only 2 months away!!!! :D

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@slappy: hahaha no prob -- thank GamesX99, he's the one who gave us the heads-up in chat. the NA stream was way less lame than the EU one :3

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Seriously, I was happy to see ole Reggie at the forefront when that stream loaded up Lol.

Thanks, GamesX99 ;)

Great day for Nintendo! :)

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

I got to the live stream of the US event just in time to see Reggie turn and walk off of the stage...

Chris720

Chris720 said:

$249.99 for America? £209 for EU? God, this thing is bloody expensive. D:

I could buy a netbook for that price for gawds sake. D:

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Hm, will Gamestop call you to ask what color you want or should I call them within the next two days? I want that awesome Blue one.

And I knew it was going to be $250 ($230-$250) and some people kept saying "No, it's $300". Ah, feels good to be right. :)

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

No price for EU? Wow wth, it comes out 2 days earlier here than America xD

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

I like how they were using a black eyed peas song whenever someone would walk on stage

edhe

edhe said:

"Retail price decided by retailer..."

I forsee massive profiteering.

Also, YES! We get the system 2 days before the US!!

reshiram

reshiram said:

25th march...GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!But how mach will the 3ds and the games will cost?

HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel said:

Of course the EU show couldn't announce a price. Every country will have a different price for the system. Ah well.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

"HMV selling them for 250 apparently"
...Please tell me that's Euros.

Terra

Terra said:

F*** me, £229 on HMV. The UK price equivalent to what they're selling it at in the US was around £156.49. I knew it would be higher than that but come on!

Yai

Yai said:

I died a little inside. I'm not paying over £100 more than the US equivalent ___

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

Is that a little "3D" light near the top screen nexr to the slider? That could be annoying at night and stuff :O

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

@Yai: Knowing GAME, about £2million. And packaged with Carnival Games and a BAJILLION bits of plastic tat you don't need :3

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

Even though it says the page will update automatically, I still find myself pushing the refresh button repeatedly.

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

For US:

$249.99 = Good!
March 27 = Unforgivable!

I wasn't going to get it at day-one anyway, especially knowing that the shop won't even be open a launch!

zionich

zionich said:

About where does the grapical power of the 3DS lie, now that you have seen it up close?

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

I find it odd that the eShop won't be open at launch. Other than that, though, sounds like it's really packed with content!

NintenDude97

NintenDude97 said:

@Kid_A: It will probably be activated after the first system update, like the DSi shop was. (I experienced this at the launch of the DSi)

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Geez, was closer on release date before I over-thought things. Come on, March 27! Thank you for all the updates, James and Jonathan!

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

"US: Just froze a unit when switching to game notes through home button while watching a movie. Whoops! "

Great, Jon, you broke it. Now you have to buy it.

J-Forest-Esq

J-Forest-Esq said:

£220 pre-oder price from Amazon UK.
Save 4% of the RRP apparently...

Still have not decide whether that's too expensive for me.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I am so glad that it is going to be $249 and not $299! It comes out two days before my birthday so I know what I'm getting myself as a present!:D

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Hey, don't tease us about Nintendo vs Capcom D:

(Even though the director of TvC and MvC said he would like a crossover like Smash Bros. to happen and wanting Mario in a Vs. game in an interview....)

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

"US: 3D slider is really just a focal adjuster and not "more" or "less" 3D. Sorta like fitting binoculars to your eyes."

wait, what? i thought you could turn the 3D effect off altogether? if that's not possible, there's no way i'll be able to get this later as planned... i get headaches enough during 3D movies and stuff :(

Late

Late said:

DoA metroid video was awesome! Haven't played any other than DoA3.

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

For everyone complaining about the price comparisons, you have to remember the US price is WITHOUT tax. And the difference is caused by a weak dollar currently, not much you can do about that. Would you be whinging if the dollar was so strong that it caused our price to go up down the line? Of course you would. So it works both ways...

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I had some rewards I used up on a website I use. Used them on my p#gging 3DS order. NoE can k#ss my posterior.

Pyrodon

Pyrodon said:

They never mentioned anything about PictoChat!! Does anyone know if the 3DS will come with it?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'm so happy to hear that Kid Icarus and Paper Mario are solidly good. Any Mario Kart 3DS gameplay there?

UrbanYeti

UrbanYeti said:

Nintendo Vs Capcom?! hopefully it happens. And if its by Sakurai, i will preorder it first day i can, because sakurai is my #1 fav game creator, tied with Miyamoto

TLink9

TLink9 said:

e-store comes in a future update, ok I can understand the browser but the e-store :P Lame nintendo

almostnacho

almostnacho said:

The Imagine and Petz series? I thought we were told there would be no crap that plagued the DS and Wii!

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

so was links awakening given 3d effects, like they said they might give vc games 3 effects?

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Whoa! Nintendo's US homepage, you are correct: There are only two things that matter now... one is blue, the other is black. Check out the back-and-forth between the two by clicking the arrow. Neato.

timp29

timp29 said:

I can't believe they gave you a mini moet in the goodie bag. That's pretty damn decent of them! haha and a red bull shot.

timp29

timp29 said:

So guys... which is more ace... SSFIV or DoA? Which would you buy if you could only have one?

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

lol, goodie bag with gum and......is that champagne? Well, glad you had fun, guys, can't wait to get me hands on this machine. :)

Oh, also, anyone have Sakurai's email? :P

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Is there anything game related in that goody bag? Looks like it's just wine and munchies (not that I would be complaining about that though ;) )

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

For anyone who is interested, the Nintendo Channel on Wii (US) has been updated with several videos about the 3DS.

By the way, great job NL.

James

James said:

Glad you guys enjoyed the coverage! Here's some answers for you:

Goodie bag contained nothing game related, sadly.

For me, SSFIV has the edge but DoA is very impressive. I'm a big SF fan though, people who aren't may not get it. DoA is still a great fighter though. I'll have impressions of both on the site soon.

I did see PictoChat on the in-game menu - Jon used the OS more than me so he may be able to shed some light on things.

Virtual Console games were just as they would be on original hardware - no 3D effect.

Mario Kart 3DS only visible in rolling footage behind glass, sadly.

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

@James and/or Jonathan
How did your eyes feel after using the systems over the course of the event? Did the 3D seem to cause more eyestrain than a typical LCD?

James

James said:

@Ecto-1 Because you're moving from station to station it's tough to say whether it's more or less tiring than using normal LCD, to be honest. For me, as a glasses-wearer, I found it less straining when I took my glasses off but plenty of other people said the opposite. I certainly didn't feel optically exhausted at any point, though :)