Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS File Size is 2.1GB, According to Japanese Packaging

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Let the battle for space commence!

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS is a huge release for Nintendo's portable in October, and it also looks like it'll be a sizeable title in another key respect. If images of Japanese packaging are to be believed this will demand a fair bit of space on many SD cards.

According to the images posted on NeoGaf, the title will weigh in at around 2.1 GB (17,300 blocks) in Japan, which is over half of the standard 4GB SD card that comes with a 3DS XL (LL in Japan). It's not the only 3DS game to have this sort of file size, with Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D also coming in at over 2GB, marginally larger than this release. You can see the key area of the image below.

We've no reason to doubt that this is some leaked imagery of promotional or download code packaging in Japan, especially as it contains no reveals or inconsistencies with official information. Based on the format it strikes us as pre-order material to inform potential customers, and file size is certainly relevant when it's a hefty download; that size seems realistic, too, considering the amount of media — such as music tracks — that's likely to be included among the various in-game collectibles and libraries.

We'll see whether this size varies for the West in good time, but let us know whether a potential 2GB file size influences your potential download purchase.

[via neogaf.com]

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Also I'm guessing that Mii image on the far right refers to transferring Mii fighters between the Wii U and 3DS.

lividd3ad

lividd3ad said:

For what it's worth, Brawl was 6.77GB. Hopefully this still has the same amount of content, even with one-third of the file size.

Shirma_Akayaku

Shirma_Akayaku said:

@ravj17 I'm going with a physical release too, but only for the 3DS version, not the Wii U. I wanna download the Wii U version to get $5 dollars back through Nintendo's Deulux Digital Promotion.

brewsky

brewsky said:

I honestly was expecting the game to be bigger. A 3DS game card can store 8 GB. But, since it's Nintendo, I should've known that they would tighten things up to fit nicely.

Reverandjames

Reverandjames said:

@Mega719 Go look elsewhere instead then.

I'm going physical as I want it as a day one purchase and don't wanna wait for the download. Plus I'll need to get myself a new SD card which will be more monies.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I'm disappointed, the game didn't hit the max file size of 4GB, ~25,000 blocks.

ekreig

ekreig said:

I might still download this beast. This is one game I would love to always have with me.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

Holy balls. Well, at least unlike DKCR 3D, it's totally worth hunting for an 8 GB card, and I've got 44 days to find one.

LawRulesALL

LawRulesALL said:

Well, I always prefer retail over download because I like to collect and fill the space of my shelves. Only download indies and download-only games, tha's enough to fill the already included SD card, so why bother downloading more? Besides, I have a carry case now, so it will always be with me (:

Dipper723

Dipper723 said:

Will there be any 3DS games that use 8GB, or even close to it?

I think the Wii U version will be 20+ GB, because Melee, and Brawl used up most of their disc space.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Glad I opted for the retail route with this game. My memory card can't hold too many more big games like that.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

@Dipper723 Keep in mind that Nintendo has some very efficient data-compressing skills. File size is less about amount of content and more about how compressed the content is. Without any data compressing, maybe quite a few 3DS games could have been above 8 GB.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

Hmm...taking up less space than I thought, but doesn't really matter since I'm getting physical anyways, ha.

antipop621

antipop621 said:

I'm going physical as usual. Surely,the excitement will make the wait while that thing downloads excruciating.

rjejr

rjejr said:

"a fair bit of space on many SD cards"

Considering the 3DS comes w/ a 2GB SD card, yes 2.1GB is a fair bit of it's space. XL coming w/ a 4GB card doesn't help out 3DS owners. And the 2DS also coming w/ a 4GB card while the 3DS continues to come w/ a 2GB card really is a SNAFU ("situation normal, all f'd up" for those who don't know)

123akis

123akis said:

It's probably true! Why would a retailer guess the size and put anything?

bouncer0304

bouncer0304 said:

Well nice to know anyway. Mine's pre-ordered physically for £31.99. Not paying an extra £8 for a download copy sorry. Still looking forward to it- it can't come quick enough :-)

millarrp

millarrp said:

I've pre-ordered a physical copy, so I'm not too concerned about the download size

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

Pre ordered physical, so it's coming trough the mail. I'm afraid that the eshop will crash, so no digital copy.

BlackHearted1

BlackHearted1 said:

I never see any reason to buy a digital copy if physical is available, with attractive cases, and manuals (sometimes they are getting less common ): ) When a game is digital only I am allot less likely to buy it, although i sometimes still buy digital games just not often. I would buy this game but I am saving for an anime convention in April, so I will just try and get it for Christmas.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

Still not sure if I'll be going digital, or if I'll tough it out and wait to get my hands on a retail copy.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Not too bad considering the size that many other games these days command.

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

Digital all the way for me!... Though I feel like I'll need to buy a cart eventually if just to protect my card slot from dust.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@Dipper723
If Monolith Soft were to ever make a Xenoblade-like game for 3DS with the same amount of content and length, then maybe.
I think the ROM size for Xenoblade on Wii was a little over 6 GB.
Then again Brawl used a dual layer disc, too, yet this new Smash Bros. is around 2 GB on 3DS.
But then again again, a 3DS game would have smaller asset file sizes due to the much smaller screen resolution. I think they're using less music as well for 3DS, and I'm guessing the 3DS Smash Bros. won't have as much content overall as Brawl, much less the Wii U version.
Anyway now I'm really hoping we get an open world 3DS Action JRPG from Monolith Soft. I think the closest we'll get for now is Final Fantasy Explorers.

yojo

yojo said:

This leak also shows the game will have only 1 save slot! Bummer :(

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

This scares me as to the scope of the game. 1/3 the size of brawl...
I hope they managed to fit a lot in there efficiently..

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

@Prof_Clayton Actually it's almost 1/4. but most of brawl's space was taken up by:
Cinematic cutscenes(It would take about 50 minutes to watch all of the cutscenes in SSBB)
Levels in Subsace Emissary
Stickers
Stage Builder Parts
And more

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

According to the Japanese packaging, Super Smash Bros. For 3DS still has an incredibly stupid name

FlaygletheBagel

FlaygletheBagel said:

That's a big amount of space! Which means that game is JAMMED with content. I'm getting the retail version, but I wouldn't have too much issue with download space either way. I've got a 16 GB SD card locked and loaded.

KFlow325

KFlow325 said:

I got about 197,000 blocks on my 32gb card...SSB4 for 3DS will take up approx. 16,000 blocks... This is a game I always want to have ready... Download Day 1!
@325Music

gamerphil07

gamerphil07 said:

I was expecting it to be a whole lot bigger, like 19,000 blocks or so. 32GB, so I'm fine. Downloading Wii U and 3DS version. 3DS because I don't want it to take up the game card slot at all times, and Wii U because of my horrible childhood memory of scratching up melee's disc.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@AVahne I do believe Monolith Soft is working on a game for 3DS. We got some abstract concept art a couple years ago, but nothing since then. Not sure if it's still be worked on or if it got put on hiatus until Xenoblade Chronicles X is finished. No actual game has been announced though.

JCnator

JCnator said:

My mighty 32GB SD Card won't even sweat on holding Super Smash Bros. along with the many other games I currently own. I'm pretty much going to download this in Day 1!

gabopr75

gabopr75 said:

Im thinking of buying the Smash 3ds bundle and getting a bigger sd card and tranfering all the games I have on mi pickachu 3ds to that one and the tranfering smash bro as well. Will that count as two tranfers? Or how do I go about it? I hope im making myself clear.

KodyDawg

KodyDawg said:

Deleting all those Demos did wonders. Now I'm at over 20,000 and ready to download!

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

@gabopr75 Don't worry about the transfer limit--it was removed a few updates ago. As for whether your Smash 3DS will keep its free download, the target 3DS loses all of its own software but can still redownload its previous titles. (There's a chance I could be wrong, but I'm sure Nintendo's customer service would understand.)

Nintendo_Ninja

Nintendo_Ninja said:

Since Brawl came out a while ago, modern tech is probably better at compressing data, so there is nothing to worry about when it comes to the amount of content in the game.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

Good thing I bought a 16GB SD card back in late April. Still has well over 11GB left on it. Still not sure if I'll be downloading Smash Bros or getting the physical copy, though. Leaning toward digital, but I'm having a hard time parting with my love for physical media in favor of the convenience of digital. If they would make the digital versions even just $5 cheaper than physical, it'd make it easier for me, but the fact that the price is the same is kind of annoying.

Riptide515

Riptide515 said:

im gettin all my wiiU and 3ds games digitally cos its not available in my country. glad i have a 16 gigs. but i am worried about the wiiU smash bros size.

invictus4000

invictus4000 said:

A year ago I would have died of shock to hear myself say this...but Ill be getting the digital version. Gotta love having a 32gb SD card. :) Ill buy the retail Wii U version though.

RaphaBoss

RaphaBoss said:

@IceClimbers

The ripped version of Brawl fitted in a single layer DVD ( 4.9 GB), while the original copy was more than 7GB, so yeah, at lest 2 GB of movie cutscenes.

Ryu_Niiyama

Ryu_Niiyama said:

Ugh. this is the first time I've been tempted to import a game I know for a fact is headed to my region just so I can play it sooner. October needs to hurry up.

Crimzonlogic

Crimzonlogic said:

I was going to get a physical copy anyway, but now digital just seems completely out of the question. Hopefully that means there's a ton of content! :)

KHaceattorney

KHaceattorney said:

So...... did anyone notice the character copyrights near the bottom left. No Konami :( , no Ubisoft :( , No Ape INC, No Monolithsoft. Either this is to keep some secrets or we are not getting characters from these companies....... Or it's fake, which it most likely isn't.

Ryu_Niiyama

Ryu_Niiyama said:

@Chaos_Eevee Seriously? Nintendo has always been really good at game file compression. Don't let the download size fool you. This is going to be stuffed to the brim.

Hong

Hong said:

@lividd3ad

Subspace Emissary took roughly half of that.Take that way, My Music and the FMV, and you are left with around 2-3 GB for the core experience and all the other modes.

Berezau

Berezau said:

64GB SD card is ready and waiting... except that I'll be buying the physical copy!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

@KHaceattorney: Creatures, Inc. is the successor to Ape, Inc. that developed Mother 1 and 2. We'll be getting Ness at the very least. Nice call on the copyrights, though. If this is final, then don't expect Snake, playable Rayman, or Shulk.

Now on the file size, I'm a physical space guy, so this wouldn't be that big of an issue originally. However, if I can't get the Smash Bros. 3DS XL bundle, then I'll probably just have to get a new SD card because I'm running out since I got my first 3DS.

I'm not all that surprised by the file size. Compared to Brawl, Smash Bros. 3DS has a bigger trophy gallery, but a smaller soundtrack, so they probably had to cut some corners because it's a handheld game. However, as others already mentioned, a lot of time and data went into the Subspace Emissary, so this game will have more data for more content otherwise.

ZachBeacon

ZachBeacon said:

I’ve never gotten anything larger than 32GB to work on a 3DS and I’m low on space so I guess I’m going retail. At least Smash Bros being huge makes sense; I have no idea how that awful Donkey Kong game can take up all that space.

KHaceattorney

KHaceattorney said:

@Frapp Well, I did forget that Intelligent systems was not credited on Melee's box art, so it may be a secret, but Brawl was not missing a single character credit, so I honestly don't know. Ness is most likely back, but it's just odd that his credits aren't there.

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

Well, if I did go digital, I have no problem removing some music from my SD card. But all the same, I will likely go with a physical release (already got one on hold at a local game store).

drewb0203

drewb0203 said:

ULTIMATE PROBLEM: Hyrule Warriors comes a week before SSB43DS. I can't get both. WHICH ONE?????!!!!!

Tamalesyatole

Tamalesyatole said:

@drewb0203 Hyrule Warriors. Smash is a flagship game, so I guess that, even if you need to wait a whole year for it, you'll still can get a physical copy by then.

YuuMonMu

YuuMonMu said:

@drewb0203 On the same boat as you are. It's hard to to pick. I'm a long time Dynasty Warriors fan, since #2 on the PS2, and I love Zelda. But I also loved Smash since the N64 days.

Maybe we could try Smash just because it has more online features, and a lot of people are going to be talking about it.

invictus4000

invictus4000 said:

@ZachBeacon
THANK YOU! Everyone raves about Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and I have to admit I was once way excited for it too but it's seriously crap! Makes me sad because some aspects of it showed real promise and there were a few great moments but ultimately some MAJOR flaws made the game a deal-breaker for me.

Osiris11235

Osiris11235 said:

Buying this with eShop points that were 20% off from Best Buy (after 5% off from Shop Discover, and in addition to Best Buy rewards credit) leaves more than enough money to buy a large enough SD card to fit this and several other big games.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@Chaos_Eevee Well thing is a 4GB 3DS cart costs a lot more to produce than a 2GB one (especially when you are talking millions of these made). I think this game is 2GB cart with the extra 0.1GB the eShop release takes up being due to the save file.

As soon as they mentioned on the direct about the 3DS version only having 2 music tracks per stage I knew it was a space limitation.

flightsaber

flightsaber said:

As an expat in china, my only option for purchasing this is via download. But download I shall! ;^.^

Zemus-DJ

Zemus-DJ said:

@ZachBeacon You have to convert it from exFat to fat32 in order for the 3DS to recognize it. The "XC" type cards use a different file format. Just google how to.

ZachBeacon

ZachBeacon said:

@Zemus-DJ

Tried that back when I was saving files before upgrading my PS3 this year. The conversion programs either didn't work on anything larger than 32GB (which don't need it) or they want you to pay for one that does.

Danny429

Danny429 said:

Downloading it because I have a habit of trading in games I really like then regretting it. File size shouldn't be a problem since I have a 16gigabyte sd card.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Eh, I already have the cartridge preordered. I'm just ticked that I have to wait until October instead of September.

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

That's not much really, I mean, who still uses their original SD card? You can get a 16 GB on Amazon.com for like, $6.00.