Shovel Knight is Burying Sales Expectations

Posted by Karen Halloran

Moving more green than previously imagined

Yacht Club Games' critically acclaimed love letter to the 8-bit era, Shovel Knight, is exceeding sales expectations across all platforms, an impressive feat considering the game was released for 3DS, Wii U, and PC a little over a month ago.

In an interview with Game Informer, Yacht Club Games' captain Sean Velasco and art-type guy Nick Wozniak gave a few hints as to Shovel Knight's post-Kickstarter success thus far:

Sean Velasco: I'd say it's doing very well. We are very pleased with where it's at, even this early in the sales time.

Nick Wozniak: Across all platforms it's exceeding expectations.

Elsewhere in the interview Velasco and Wozniak discuss such topics as working within the limitations of an 8-bit look- and sound-alike game, what it's like to (successfully, we might add) run a Kickstarter campaign, and the potential for a Shovel Knight 2.

Have you been enjoying taking a spade to the heads of your enemies or has this indie darling gotten by you so far? Let us know in the comments!

[via gameinformer.com]

Related Games

Yosher

Yosher said:

What outburst said. Really waiting for this gem to see the light of day over here in Europe. I wonder when it'll come.

zip

zip said:

The best platform for this kind of game is the Vita. These 8-bit games look stunning on the OLED of the Vita.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Haven't played it yet but glad these guys are doing well. By all accounts, this is a great game and one I will pick up eventually

GN004Nadleeh

GN004Nadleeh said:

if the game is making money then why would have to go to kickstarter again? just seems greedy to me if people helped him with money to make this game then he gets rich and wants other people's money once again?

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Good to hear it's doing so well. I will be picking it up myself rather soon, considering I just beat 3 games I had backlogged.

Swithom

Swithom said:

The problem with funding further projects AFTER kickstarter is that even when they sell well a large part of your audience is going to get the game for free. They've already used up a lot of revenue from sales and if the next project needs large overheads...
2 or 3 projects down the line perhaps but the number of these studios that will break free from crowdfunding entirely 2-3 years down the line will be interesting

Pillowpants

Pillowpants said:

I'm eagerly awaiting its release in Europe. I've even abstained from buying it on Steam, because I want to support the Wii U...

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Europeans are gonna kill me, but I don't have it yet. I need to get another eShop card.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

If they making money on the game, they shouldn't need a kickstarter for the sequel. Use the money you made to fund the sequel.

You don't want to go to the well on that kind of thing over and over, the well will dry up.

But good to hear it's selling well, I"m going to pick it up eventually. Backlog of just eshpo games is bad right now.

Wuneye

Wuneye said:

This game was fantastic. I had read the reviews, thought it looked great, and was still surprised at just how good it is. Music, controls, difficulty, and humor - it's got it all.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I will be buying this when it's released for EU.

I hope they don't get a major publisher who decides excellent Steam and Nintendo sales aren't enough to stop the sequel being PS4 and Xbox1 only.

Action51

Action51 said:

@zip - Honestly, I think it's amazing on Wii U.

Looks great on the gamepad or on the big screen, and the gamepad functioning as an inventory screen is always a useful bonus.

I can also see this being great on Vita and 3DS...ironically this is one of the few occasions where the PC version has no inherent advantages.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

I bought this game along with Earthbound a few weeks ago. I spent most of the time playing Earthbound and did not play much of Shovel Knight. I even put Mario Kart 8 on hold along with a game on 360 that I was playing. Now that I beat Earthbound, I think I'll get into Shovel Knight.

kevfrei

kevfrei said:

@Action51 agreed! I own on the Wii U and it looks so nice on the big screen, and pretty darn good on the gamepad, too!

I like the game so much I may end up buying the 3DS version as well sometime down the line..... lol

Steamboat_Willie

Steamboat_Willie said:

Love the game so much that I bought it twice. Now I'm thinking about getting it for the WiiU too. Good to know that it's selling well. Hope they release it for the Vita too.

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

Guys, I love Shovel Knight too, and there is another similar game coming out tomorrow. The name is Jet Gunner, and it is Contra with more platforming elements. It has received lots of hype among Indie gamers. Its graphic is definitely NES style, and it is probably less difficult than Contra because it has a health bar system. The fun about this game is its simple gameplay and its challenging bosses just in the original contra game. In addition, it has a variety of guns you can choose, and different guns may change the playing mechanic differently. If you like 2D contra you should definitely check it out. There is a demo that you can download from Steam, and it costs only $3.99 for the full version.

Although it is a PC rather than a Wii U game, its graphic is faithfully to the old NES game with much improved control. It was so good that I have played the demo (first stage of the game) over 20 times, and I am thinking that the old NES game audience may like it also! Below is the trailer:

By the way, the creator of the game is a Wii U fan.

Olmectron

Olmectron said:

Played it all on both Wii U and 3DS. I'm replaying several times both for getting all of the feats. I'm not so good on platformers, but I've enojoyed this one very much.

HAL9000

HAL9000 said:

This game deserves all the glory and sales. It is amazing. I bought it twice (once for my home Wii U and a second copy for my afterschool video game club Wii U)

Noonch

Noonch said:

I don't think people read the articles before complaing. The only thing I see about Kickstarter is that Velasco and Wozniak discuss what it's like to run a successful Kickstarter campaign.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Good, the game deserves it!

I hope all my gamer friends in Europe get their chance to play it soon too.

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

It's so nice to hear that it's doing well. I'm glad that Nintendo made another "friend" regarding the eshop.

MasterWario

MasterWario said:

Great game, although a little short.

BUT, I guess that's what the alternate campaigns and battle mode are for! I can't wait! Thank you kickstarter supporters! (And Yacht Club Games obviously)

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

The only reason I haven't replayed Shovel Knight yet is the amount of awesome indie Wii U games on my backlog. And this is coming from a guy who doesn't replay games, at least not until years later.

So yeah, I'm hoping for a sequel eventually. Awesome, awesome title.

Nintendofan83

Nintendofan83 said:

I bought this game about a week ago and I am really enjoying it. Maybe I forgot how to play 8 bit games? But man….Shovel Knight is hard!!! I die all the time haha. I'll never be rich because of how much I die. I play about 1-2 levels a night.

I think the price is a bit high at $15 but I would still recommend it to anyone.

ashlyquin

ashlyquin said:

I bought the PC version of this game and it is AWESOME. I don't feel the need to buy the 3ds version as I see no need to buy it twice. Cross platform would have been nice but it's good.

gatorboi352

gatorboi352 said:

I still would like to know how much the Wii U version sold. I can't help but think it sold the least.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

It's not exceeding expectations in the UK!

@Vriess

Thanks for pasting the link! It's good to see it's one step closer to release! I'll def be buying this ASAP!

Grimlock_King

Grimlock_King said:

Have it on wii u and it's banging. Might get the 3ds version later. If it's blowing away their expectations in sales wail until people in europe get to buy it.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

I am so ready to play this game! I couldn't resist watching some of the Gamegrumps play through and its fraggin amazing. hands down a masterpiece. (as far as I've seen of course)
Its music....graphics...gameplay...humor...They really made something special. The soundtrack is dirt-cheap (even free if you dont have any money) and totally worth it and If you can, pay a few bucks/euros to support.

There's even an arranged bonus album (its fantastic of course) at: http://virt.bandcamp.com/album/strike-the-earth-shovel-knight-arranged

Sugar_Crunch_BD

Sugar_Crunch_BD said:

Why are people so angry that they want to kickstartagain?

It means that their personal lives will not affect the budget of the game. A kickstarter can also measure interest in a potential game, to show whether it is worth making.

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

I don't want the game to end so I find myself replying levels and grinding for feats. Once some of that dlc comes out though, it will be accompanied with a new game plus mode!

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

Yea, I think I will be buying it when it comes out here in Europe. How much will it cost, actually? I would pay 40 euros for this lol

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

I don't give a shizzle about how well the Wii U version sold, I bought it for the system and it's awesome. Sorry you're too focused on sales...

Regardless, this game deserves to sell well, it's so fun.

Jahir

Jahir said:

I can't believe Gamespot gave this game a 7. It's one of the most awesomest indie games out there. Hope they sell a lot more and wish they use that money in a new IP instead of Shovel Knight 2.

BrownGamer4

BrownGamer4 said:

Bought the Wii U version and love everything about it( looks great on the gamepad too), I'm tempted to buy the 3DS version to see how it looks in 3D..;)

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

After beating the game tonight, two words come to mind: WELL DESERVED.

Now I'm just waiting to be able to play it on Nintendo platforms in EU.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Captain-Falcon It depends - They are only 5 people. If they get say 5,000,000$ I cannot see why they should need to. (Fez sold 1,000,000 copies - I dunno how well it is doing but I suspect it will end up being one of the more successful ones).

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Well, no surprise there. It is a fantastic game, and I haven't seen a bad review of it, yet.

I am a little amused by the thought that the handful of people commenting here with their desire to see it on the Vita is actually all the people in the world who care enough about the Vita to see it on there.

Heng-Yu

Heng-Yu said:

I do not know why and I guess the game is worth every penny,but somehow 14.99$ feels like to much for the game.

Can someone please let me know if this game has been on sale in the eshop (preferably on the 3DS) since its release?

I do not want to spend 15 bucks just to see it pop up for less a week later.

Snivy102

Snivy102 said:

If anyone is trying to decide which platform to buy it for, it's 3DS all the way. The 3D effect in this game is just amazing.

Melkac

Melkac said:

@zip Pfft.

Good for the developers! It seems like Yacht Club Games nabbed all the good staff members from Wayforward...

shredmeister

shredmeister said:

Been switching back and forth with Shovel Knight and Guacamelee STCE. Both games are equally awesome. I'm hoping that both developers make more games in those styles.

vampyren

vampyren said:

sucks that its not in europe yet, just release the english version and be done with it! I want to buy this so bad ....