Nintendo Download: 24th July (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Fiesta time, toy cars, a Master Reboot, Wooden Sen'SeY and more

It's that time again, North America, for the Nintendo Download details to tempt you into parting from your eShop funds. We have three new titles on the Wii U eShop, an excellent arrival on 3DS eShop, Virtual Console entries on both systems, discounts and more. Let's get to it.

Missed the European Nintendo Download Update earlier this week? Don't fret, the details are right here.

Wii U eShop

Master Reboot (Wales Interactive, $14.99) — A "haunting first person sci-fi adventure" in which you work through the Soul Cloud, solving puzzles and attempting to make sense of your character's life and death. An intriguing concept, with footage also showing some fairly stylish visuals; we'll see whether it lives up to its potential in our upcoming review.

Super Toy Cars (Eclipse Games, $7.99) — This has been described as Mario Kart meets Micro Machines, though those are lofty comparisons. A racing game with a career mode and local multiplayer support, there are 12 tracks, 16 vehicles and 48 career events, along with a description of this as an "arcade combat racing game". We'll get into gear to bring you a review.

Wooden Sen'SeY (Neko Entertainment, $9.99) — This is an action platformer, joining various others in one of the most popular genres on the Wii U eShop. Along with standard running and jumping you have a grapple and some combat moves, with some other variations in level design; the setting is 'SteamPunk Japan', too. We'll bring you our review very soon.

Wii U Virtual Console

Ufouria: The Saga (Sunsoft, $4.99) — This could perhaps be described as an alternative NES Metroid, but with an excess of cuteness and Japanese charm in its place. You explore the world and uncover new abilities, also switching characters to progress; we gave this a strong recommendation in our Wii Virtual Console Ufouria: The Saga review, and we'll have another look.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discounts

Trine 2: Director's Cut (Frozenbyte, $7.99 until 12th August, normally $19.99)

POKER DICE SOLITAIRE FUTURE (RCMADIAX, $0.99 until 6th August, normally $1.99)

Wii U eShop Permanent Discount

Chubbins (Dahku Creations, $3.99, originally $5.99)

3DS eShop

Siesta Fiesta (Mojo Bones, $5.99) — Inspired primarily by Breakout, but also by platformers and other genres, this introduces block-breaking gameplay with sidescrolling, boss battles and some other ideas besides; it also serves up with some lovely colourful visuals and 60fps performance. We were big fans in awarding 9/10 in our Siesta Fiesta review.

Pick-A-Gem (Gamelion Studios, $3.99) — Yet another match-3 game arrives on the portable, this time with the emphasis on rapid tapping rather than swapping tiles around. Though not particularly bad, this does little to distinguish itself and hold the gamer's attention, as we explain in our Pick-A-Gem review.

101 Pony Pets 3D (Selectsoft, $4.99) — If caring for puppies, dinosaurs and all-manner of other animals doesn't work for you, of if full size horses aren't appealing, this pony-sim aims to fill the gap. Promising 101+ variations of pony and related fun looking after your animal of choice, it aims to grab the attention of pet-sim fans. We'll give it yay or neigh (sorry) soon.

3DS Virtual Console

Blaster Master (Sunsoft, $4.99) — Certainly classed as one of the stronger third-party titles of the NES era, you alternate between navigating the world in a tank and on foot, with eight regions making this lengthy by 8-bit standards. Importantly, it's a lot of fun over that playtime, as our Master Blaster review explains.

3DS Retail Download

Scooby Doo & Looney Tunes Cartoon Universe: Adventure (WB Games, $19.99)

3DS eShop Temporary Discount

3D Game Collection (Joindots, on discount until 14th August)

Gardenscapes (Joindots, on discount until 14th August)

Jewel Match 3 (Joindots, on discount until 14th August)

That's the lineup for this week, North American download fans. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (275 votes)

Master Reboot (Wii U eShop)

Super Toy Cars (Wii U eShop)

Wooden Sen'SeY (Wii U eShop)

Ufouria: The Saga (Wii U Virtual Console)

Trine 2: Director's Cut (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

POKER DICE SOLITAIRE FUTURE (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Chubbins (Wii U eShop permanent discount)

Siesta Fiesta (3DS eShop)

11%

Pick-A-Gem (3DS eShop)

101 Pony Pets 3D (3DS eShop)

Blaster Master (3DS Virtual Console)

Scooby Doo & Looney Tunes Cartoon Universe: Adventure (3DS retail download)

3D Game Collection (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Gardenscapes (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Jewel Match 3 (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Nothing for me this week

50%

Please login to vote in this poll.

TheJudge

TheJudge said:

I'm happy to see Blaster Master on there, that was one of my favorite NES titles growing up.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I might get Ufouria. Sorta bummed that Blaster Master is on 3DS instead of Wii U, but I can live with that. Otherwise, if you've never played Trine 2 it's totally worth the price.

Drac_Mazoku

Drac_Mazoku said:

Blaster Master for my 3DS, and, judging by your review, I'll get Siesta Fiesta too now.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

Why are Trine 2 and that Poker Dice game listed under "Wii U Virtual Console Promotion"...?

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Might have to get Siesta Fiesta down the road after reading the glowing Nintendo Life review.

Also, having already own it, I recommend POKER DICE SOLITAIRE FUTURE if you like Yahtzee and want a good time killer when you are watching TV or what not. Certainly worth $1.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I picked up:

Scooby Doo & Looney Tunes Cartoon Universe: Adventure - 3DS

A few week's ago from GS! :D Loving the game so far. :)

I'm going to pick up Siesta Fiesta as soon as I finish a few other games on my 3ds then hit delete & create save data lol need more room on my sd card. :)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Master Reboot
Wooden Sen'SeY
Blaster Master
Ufouria
Siesta Fiesta

Lots of fun games this week! What a great turnout!

Mr-DNA

Mr-DNA said:

Man, I was psyched for Mega Man 5 & 6 on the Wii U all week after seeing Europe get it. Oh well. Maybe the week after next.

TheBigK

TheBigK said:

Nothing for me this week. It's like Nintendo is conspiring to prevent me from spending the credit I have from the Digital Deluxe Promotion.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

A cavalcade of quality games this week. Siesta Fiesta for sure, and probably Uforia. Waiting on the reviews for Sen'sey and Master Reboot before deciding on those.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

For anyone who doesn't already own Ufouria, I highly recommend it. Definitely one of the absolute best NES games.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

Pretty sure that Trine 2 has been on discount so many times that anyone who was remotely interested in it has already bought it. It may as well be permanently discounted to $8.

Nothing for me again. Think the last week where there was anything at all for me was... Mario Kart 8? Gosh, there's been such a drought, even including indy and VC releases.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

I would get Wooden Sen'SeY but I don't have enough on the eshop at the moment and I might get Ufouria: The Saga.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

Siesta, Master Reboot and at some point down the road Blaster Master.

Dammit. The store hasn't updated yet... :(

Edit: actually, Scooby Doo and that 101 Pony thing are on the eshop but Siesta isn't. What gives?

ReEdit: Ahhh... Siesta time! 2 hours later. Better late than never.

speedyboris

speedyboris said:

Ugh, I hate when North America and Europe's Wii U VC releases are out of sync. Now there are FIVE titles I'm waiting for: Super Mario Kart, Mega Man V and VI, Pop'n Twinbee, and Adventure Island. And we won't be getting any of those next week either, since Mega Man Battle Network took the only spot. Just, ugh.

millarrp

millarrp said:

For now must uforia the saga since I had it on the Wii virtual console and can snatch it up at the upgrade price. It's too bad that NA isn't getting the virtual console sale that Europe is getting...

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Wow, Blaster Master! Finally!!! I hope Uforia comes to the 3DS VC. I'm still waiting for Devil World as well.

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

to the staff of nintendolife, could we get a review for scooby/ looney tunes?

wayforward does typically do go work

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Nothing for me this week then. That's okay, my backlog has grown considerably these past few months.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Siesta Fiesta alone makes this week worth it for me. Interested in discounts for Chubbings and Poker Dice. I will wait for a wooden review ;)

outburst

outburst said:

Whoah wait a minute! I just checked, I've played Blaster Master on Famicom before and I loved it! (Can't remember if it's the same title in Famicom). I DEMAND that you release it on Wii U VC NOW!

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

Meh, nothing for me, I will say that I finally played steamworld dig due to it's discount and it's a great game

BranBran

BranBran said:

still waiting on Pokemon TCG....was the first game i ever preorderd. love that game! Imakuni is awesome.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Sweet, four games for me this week on Wii U. I'd get Master Blaster on the 3DS but I can't see that been fun to play on the small screen.

ghasfarost

ghasfarost said:

@Mr-DNA yeah, i hoped for both missing Mega Mans finally arrived today... oh well at least next week we'll have Battle Network

ZachBeacon

ZachBeacon said:

The VC is still a slow trickle of mostly underwhelming games and the "sales" are always the same handful of games. Mrgrgr!

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

So why Reboot, Toy Cars and Sen'Sey launch simultaneously in NA and Europe while Shovel Knight is still getting the localisation treatment?

So frustrating.

minotaurgamer

minotaurgamer said:

I guess it's time to get Trine 2 once and for all.
I was wishing they will had a Batman sale like they did on Europe, specially with comic-con and Batman's anniversary on this week. Oh well.

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

Man, NA VC...I thought for sure that it was picking up in April, but boy was I wrong. Can't wait for Battle Network next week, though!

I'm still wanting Game and Watch Collection 3, DKL 1-3, Pokemon TCG and others for 3DS. Nintendo is sitting on so much cash!

Dooyoo

Dooyoo said:

@Barbiegurl777
Is Scooby Doo 3ds actually okay and not just shovelware? I remember a time when there were plenty of simple, yet fun platformers on the DS. Garfield's Nightmare comes to mind. Great game. I always hope that that will be the case for 3ds games like this too, but usually I end up disappointed.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Nothing for me. I just bought Mario Kart 8 last week. And won't have money again until the 20th. Might not even then since I have Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney on the 29th and back to school stuff to buy for my kids next month.

bngrybt

bngrybt said:

I want Ufouria so bad but I only have my 3DS with me so I'll have to wait until I'm back home next week to play it on my Wii U. Bawwwwww

River3636

River3636 said:

Blaster Master is a good and hard game, but I never played euphoria before and it's on the Wii u

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

I like to buy like 2 eshop games at once so I am getting Master Reboot and Gucamelee (even though it came out like a month ago still got it). Master Reboot looks a pretty nice Horror genre from a good developer. Its not like The Letter or anything guys.

invictus4000

invictus4000 said:

BLASTER MASTER!!!! FINALLY!!!! This is one of my favorite games of all time and ever since EU got it on Virtual Console like 2 years ago Ive been crying. Haha. Downloading it this second! Everyone needs to get this game!

Tiberius29

Tiberius29 said:

Wow! Another crap week for us in the States... (Where's my Pokemon Trading Card Game - Virtual Console for the 3DS, Nintendo of America.)

ikki5

ikki5 said:

And another week that just proves how much more crappy NoA is compared to NoE. No Megaman, no Pokemon, less discounts, more crap, worse club Nintendo selection, and later release dates (most of the time when they are not released on the same day).

JumpnShootMan

JumpnShootMan said:

No Mega Man V or VI like in the UK? C'Mon Nintendo/Capcom....I'm getting Blue-Bomber balls over here!

Smooty

Smooty said:

@simonhwsn I think it is, most people like it, but truly hated it, only game i regret of buying, the controls are awkward for me

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

What the heck? I went to the eShop to grab Ufouria...which I already had on Wii. Unlike every other game I've ever tried to upgrade, it still wants to charge me the full $5. Anybody else having this problem?

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

I haven't tried trine yet maybe it's time to play it.Master reboot though, i don't know i might get it now.But with that price hmm now i'm thinking really hard about this.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

Leaving for a trip in a couple days and trying to decide what to get for that, Blaster Master or Siesta Fiesta. So hard to decide! And both rhyme!

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

@Stuffgamer1 Same issue here. I'd say wait a while and they'll fix it since this has happened before.

Great week. Blaster Master and Ufouria are heads and shoulders above a silly card game.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@SparkOfSpirit: I had no idea this had ever happened before...that makes me feel a little better about it.

@brooks83: I didn't know there were any problems with it. I DO know that since it was a PAL import, it actually ran at 50hz on Wii...I compared it to the Japanese version and the difference was obvious. Are you talking about that or something else?

mr_nihilism

mr_nihilism said:

Seista Fiesta downloading now. Might buy Sensei if reviews are good. There's been a lot of good games of late and my wallet is crying for a timeout.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

You guys forgot to mention that Super Toy Cards feature a track editor, making it an instant buy for me. :)

Other than that, I'm interested in Wooden Sensey and Siesta Fiesta.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@SirQuincealot & @Dooyoo

One question at a time... lol ;)

Wayforward earlier platforms? I've played alot of wayforward's games. :) It's very similiar to Galactic Taz Ball DS & Garfield's Nightmare DS in graphic's put a bit more polished since it's on 3ds at least the way the graphic's look to me also both very good DS games have both. ;)

Untitled

Other screenshot's will be posted in the 3DS forum: Thread Title: Scooby Doo & Looney Tunes Cartoon Universe Adventure - 3DS

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

Neko knows the Wii U better than any other indie, so Wooden Sen'Sey for me. It's beautiful, artistic, quick, smart and looks challenging.
And unlike so many 'broken promise' indies, it's HERE.
On the VC side.. wow, what a wasted chance.
MMBN next week but where's MM 5 and 6??
Master Reboot looks like what the Letter could have been (with better programming, artists, production values, and workable controls).
And really, after the terrible Hello Kitty and Hot Wheels racers, could STC really be so horrible?
It looks worth 10$, which is a quarter what those titles charged.

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

The big news is Trine: Enchanted Edition. Absolute classic title about to be made even better.

ToniK

ToniK said:

@invictus4000 I seriously didn't know we already had this in Europe. Downloaded it instantly. A 7-year-old me once struggled with this and I need to show who's the boss some twenty years later :D
Edit. Blaster Master is what I'm talking about.

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

Eight dollars for Trine 2 on the Wii U? Not bad. Two dollars during one of the many Steam sales? Even better. :)

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Thanks RCMADIAX, buy your game shortly after it comes out, have yet to play it and there's already a 99 cent discount. Ahh its whatever I really felt like supporting the first HTML5 Indie Game Developer for the Wii U.

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

Oh awesome! Been waiting nearly a year for "Blaster Master!" (Odd it took that long, the GBC sequel's been on 3DS for a long time.) Been waiting for it, and other Japanese VC games, (like Bubble Bobble) for a long time.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I want to download Ufouria onto my Wii U. It should be discounted at a $1.00 for me because I already have it on my Wii VC. But for some reason it's not recognizing it and insists on charging me $4.99.

Has this ever happened to anyone before?

It has happened once with me before when trying to get Super Castlevania IV. I ended up calling Nintendo Customer Service (first time I've EVER had to call them) and the guy on the other end of the telephone acted like he had no clue what I was talking about when I was explaining the situation.

What am I supposed to do? :O

ogo79

ogo79 said:

"if you want more quirky sunsoft titles download ufouria"-vic ireland
i remember that. the only other "quirky" game left would be mr gimmick. if it does arrive (which i doubt at this point) it will be the ntsc version with 3 lives in it. but i mean hey ive got the cart of mr gimmick sooooo...
Untitled
boo-ya

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Though I already own Trine 2 on steam I never got around to playing it as I would prefer a console version! Not sure what the director's version contains, but I may just pick this version up and play it instead!

ogo79

ogo79 said:

@Stuffgamer1
man the music is just sped up, no biggie.
some people made a huge deal about that all across the wonderful internet and it pissed off people at sunsoft so they never released gimmick.

Thats-what-shy

Thats-what-shy said:

Siesta Fiesta + Shovel Knight, all within one week!!
AAA indie gaming heaven.

(Would love a Wooden Sen’SeY review)

BlackSpy

BlackSpy said:

Super Toy Cars sounds interesting.
as for virtual console updates, the apathy is real ;)

RCMADIAX

RCMADIAX said:

@Blue_Yoshi Thanks for the support. I didn't intend on running a sale this early. Hopefully this will get more players to try the game out. :)

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Well, I'ma go with Siesta Fiesta, Wooden Sensey, and I'm a wait to get Trine when they release the ultimate edition.

joey302

joey302 said:

NoA you stink!!! Why oh why can you only squeeze out 1 wii u vc title a week here when Japan gets 4-5 a week and now it seems Europe vc picking up speed?!?!?
You guys are horrible man horrible!!! You better post all 3 mega man games next week!! No reason not to do so!!!!

joey302

joey302 said:

And why the hell does Japan have 12 turbographx16 games & we have zip????

joey302

joey302 said:

And why the hell does the whole world have super Mario kart except the U.S.?????

joey302

joey302 said:

And SEGA where are you??? Get off the fence and jump in....you're missing out on $$$$$!!

SuperMikey

SuperMikey said:

Super Toy Cars is calling my name... I need a review before making a final decision because I heard of some bad quirks this game has on Miiverse...

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@joey302 Simple, NA doesn't matter anymore to Nintendo, Why do you think NA has fallen to the rock bottom for everything now?

joey302

joey302 said:

its ridiculous fellas!! we're getting the shaft big time. i also wanna add that there are a truckload of squaresoft wii u vc titles also in japan not released here as well!! why??? its BS!!

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Trine 2 is discounted because the enhanced Wii U version of Trine i heard is releasing this year right?

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Warner Bros. meets Hanna Barbera??

UFouria is really good. How can I beat the water boss level? when i jump over him i can´t scape and I get kill.

Iggly

Iggly said:

Well derp, the moment Trine 2 is on sale is usually when I'm out without my Wii U.

invictus4000

invictus4000 said:

@ToniK Yeah I also played BM as a young kid with my cousin. We played all night week after week but I dont think we ever got past the first level. Lol. Hellooooo Restore Points! Haha