Nintendo Download: 6th March (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Retro golf, dropping Bloks, golden cities, discounted Running and more

It's that time, North America, with another batch of downloads arriving on the Wii U and 3DS eShop platforms. This week brings new and Virtual Console games to both systems, as well as a discount to celebrate the one year anniversary of one of the finest Wii U eShop titles to date. Without further ado, let's get to it.

Missed the European Nintendo Download update earlier this week? Dry those eyes, the details are right here.

Wii U eShop

BLOK DROP U (RCMADIAX, $1.99) — A landmark arrival as the first HTML5-based game to arrive on the platform, utilising the Nintendo Web Framework. This is a physics puzzle game in which you use the stylus on the GamePad to remove blocks and land the red icon onto solid ground, and will have additional levels as free DLC in the future. Our review will go live later today.

Wii U Virtual Console

NES Open Tournament Golf (Nintendo, $4.99) — While Golf wasn't new on the NES when this title was originally released in the West, this effort brought a great deal more charm and replayability to the sport. It has three courses and three modes and, most importantly, the two player mode makes it onto the Virtual Console version. It has its charms though is perhaps showing its age a little, but still managed a reasonable recommendation in our NES Open Tournament Golf review.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discount

BIT.TRIP Presents: RUNNER 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Gaijin Games, $4.99 from 10th - 17th March, normally $14.99)

3DS eShop

The Mysterious Cities of Gold: Secret Paths (Ynnis Interactive, $14.99) — This adventure arrived on the Wii U eShop last year, and finally makes its promised transition to the 3DS eShop. Based on the increasingly popular TV show, this places you in the shoes of three children that must be guided through puzzles and tricky scenarios. We gave this a solid recommendation in our Mysterious Cities of Gold: Secret Paths review.

Vacation Adventures: Park Ranger (Microvalue, $7.99) — It seems that the 'adventure' part is for others, as you play a park Ranger with tasks such as visiting log cabins and setting up "outdoor activities like boating, rock climbing, horse riding and mountain biking". We'll take in the views and see what this is all about in our upcoming review.

3DS Virtual Console

Adventure Island II (Konami, $4.99) — The second adventure of Master Higgins, this action platformer throws in new ideas not seen in the original, including improved bosses and the ability to ride dinosaurs. With better controls and a slightly more accessible difficulty level than the original, this is certainly a reasonable NES effort; we'll go on the adventure once again, but in the meantime you can check out our original Wii Virtual Console Adventure Island II review.

Those are the fresh download treats for this week, North America. Let us know if you're planning to pick any of these up in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (323 votes)

BLOK DROP U (Wii U eShop)

14%

NES Open Tournament Golf (Wii U Virtual Console)

BIT.TRIP Presents: RUNNER 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

11%

The Mysterious Cities of Gold: Secret Paths (3DS eShop)

Vacation Adventures: Park Ranger (3DS eShop)

Adventure Island II (3DS Virtual Console)

Nothing for me this week

65%

Please login to vote in this poll.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

Adventure Island II was a game that never made it to the Wii VC, I'll also have to download BLOK DROP U at that price.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Well, back to waiting for Club Nintendo changeovers on the 10th. That is if they actually switch them over on time this month....

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

Considerung the last weeks saw more PSN sales than I could keep track of, this is pretty darn weak.

Conkers64

Conkers64 said:

3ds eshop is honestly the worst. Is it really asking that much to put some snes titles or gba titles on the system? There's really no reason some interesting content hasn't made it's way there lately. I'd willingly buy things like Minish Cap, Super Mario World, Metroid (any GBA or SNES version), or how about either systems' Mario Kart?

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Darknyht From what i've seen they always switch them over no less then the next day.

Blah this week, which i'm ok with. Too much to play as it is!

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

None of these for me this week, but I'm finally getting Tropical Freeze. I love winning free gift cards. :D

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Getting Blok Drop U. For that price I should feel no remorse, even if I don't like it. But I guess by the time I get home the review will be up, so I will check it first.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

Maybe I'll download Block Drop U since it's only $1.99 and I'll check out the Aeternoblade DLC that's supposed to be out today.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Nothing again this week... looking more & more forward to next week:

Hello! :D

Lola's ABC Party - 3DSware

&
Yoshi's New Island - 3DS

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@Blast

Agreed! :( I haven't download anything in several months in the 3ds e-shop half because I'm saving for wii u & half because there's nothing there in the 3ds e-shop for right now that I would even consider putting on my 3ds wishlist in the 3ds e-shop... Its depressing...

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Gold

Gold said:

Good week for me. DLing Bit Trip and Blok Drop. I still want better VC games tho. 2 NES Remix games down, 3 to go!
EDIT : Never mind. Not getting Blok Drop U. I already have 3 puzzle games for Wii U. Too many. I also looked at the trailer for it and it's not my type of game. I'll most likely DL it when I'm really bored this or next year.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Nice 2/3 price drop on Bit Trip Runner 2. Was cleaning out my PS3 HDD last night and found I had it w/ PS+, remembered I tried it but it wasn't my thing.

Nice to see Drop Block release at $1.99, Nintendo is showing much more flexibility w/ pricing than they were on the Wii. Could probably find it for free on the web or 99c on a phone but $1.99 is pretty cheap for a console game w/ Gamepad support.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Gonna download Blok Drop U to help support my fellow rust belt resident!

I think we would all be happy (from a Wii U standpoint) if Nintendo released either a NES or SNES title, a GBA or DS title. and an other title (n64/GC/Sega Consoles/TG16/etc) every week......Get on it Nintendo....3 varied titles a week isn't too much to ask!

gregrout

gregrout said:

Looks like March, April & May will another deadzone for Wii-U... May 30th couldn't come soon enough.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

@Barbiegurl777 - Nintendo being all knowing, probably is releasing little right now because they don't want you to spend your Wii U savings......hopefully you can pick up your Wii U soon........it is a wonderful addition to my gaming world!

speedyboris

speedyboris said:

Oh come on. Adventure Island II was passed over on the original Wii in North America, yet now it's being released only for the 3DS (which I don't own)? Does Nintendo hate me?

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

I'm convinced that the VC lineup is some type of inside joke at Nintendo.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

runner 2 is a steal at that price! too bad i already have it >.<
but block drop u, I've been waiting for that one, can't wait to try it

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

And yet another week without SMB3, too bad I already got that game years ago on the Wii so I don't care that much. heh heh
If I had a WiiU I would take advantage of dat Runner 2 sale. But instead I'll go see what Adventure Island 2 is like on the 3ds.

Shy_Guy

Shy_Guy said:

Nothing for me yet again... eshop is a joke,can't believe Nintendo is treating it like crap. Whoever is in charge of it seriously should be fired.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

A whole lot of nope this week. My wallet is so pleased with current wave of boring games. Goes back to Bravely Default

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

Given Adventure Island II skipped the Wii VC, I'm glad it made it onto the 3DS. I'll be picking it up today. At least we seem to be getting a new VC game every week on the 3DS VC.

Now, if only Super Mario Bros 3 and Final Fantasy would come out soon....

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@Barbiegurl777: Nice to know I'm not the only one without a WU, or the only one saving for one. $300 is expensive, as far as I'm concerned.

@rjejr: It's a shame Nintendo doesn't allow pre-system-ownership (d/l) software purchases. I would totally take advantage of Runner 2 right now.

@EveryoneElse: I'll be checking out AI2, though I'm saving my e-Shop funds for Shantae:AtPC. I expect it will drop by early summer, as the original did last year. & I just last Friday d/l'd Cattrap(original/monochrome Gameboy), & I'd recommend it to anyone that likes puzzles.

Anyway, enjoy your games, everyone! :)

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

I would advise anyone who's waiting for Super Mario Bros 3, has a 3DS, and wants a decent retro platformer to play, to check out Adventure Island II if they got some money to spare. Adventure Island II it a pretty fun game, even if its a bit on the hard side.

cheapogamer4life

cheapogamer4life said:

I'll definitely add Adventure Island ll to my wishlist but im in no hurry to get that. Still haven't gotten around to playing the orignal yet and its been on my 3ds for a while.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

@speedyboris Do you have a Wii U? This might be a good sign that it came to the 3DS, that hopefully means iIt can't be that long before it arrives on the Wii U VC as well.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

All this Konami retro support is great and all, but I really hope it leads to the Turbografx coming to both eShops soon, since the PC Engine is on the Japanese one and Konami is handling the releasing duties...

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

Pretty sure the Game Boy version of Adventure Island (released late 2011), was based on Adventure Island II. I could be wrong though...

It's nice to play the NES version of Adventure Island II. Purchasing it today to keep up with the unanimous 3DS VC collection!

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

I am more interested in the eShop has recently reduced Assassin's Creed III to $19.99 than anything else announced today. The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger was that I heard it was a steaming pile of glitches.

I realize that Gamestop has had it used at this price, but I generally prefer to give the developer money over Gamestop.

SonataAndante

SonataAndante said:

It kills me how there are more NES games re-rereleased on the 3DS VC than actual GB/GBC games of late. Yes, let's spend the time just porting over the same NES games the Wii VC has instead of picking out handheld titles. Going back through the eshop I think the the last two GB titles to come out are Mario Tennis and Shantae, and Shantae was quite awhile ago was it not? I'm just really disappointed with the VC of late. I can't even imagine what happened to SMB3, once upon a time announced for the day after Christmas.

At the very least I have Donkey Kong TF to finish up and Dark Souls 2 is rolling out next week.

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

You'd think having classics like
Super Mario World
Tloz Majora's Mask
The original Smash bros and melee
The Prime series
Etc.
That Nintendo would put such games on their best selling console as VC but no they just continue to troll gamers with super Mario bros 3 still not being released

brewsky

brewsky said:

@Conkers64 Why put SNES and GBA games on the 3DS when the Wii U is getting them? That's Nintendo's logic. They want people to buy the Wii U in order to play more VC games.

Tsusasi

Tsusasi said:

Nintendo, seriously... fail, fail, fail, fail...

Get your crap together. Fast. You may have something special planned this spring. Maybe around E3.

No one else knows what your plans are. They need content. If you're not going to release major titles in large batches or every month, I get that. You need to spread things out.

There is NO excuse to sit on all of the wonderful titles available elsewhere in one VC form or another. Lose the absolutely backwards and ridiculous separate release schedule for NA and Europe/UK... at least until you restore faith in your judgement. Release the good stuff... in both markets. And get back to your special import releases as well. VC is a mess, and there's no good reason for it.

I look forward to the indy titles scheduled this spring, but that can't be all that you're offering.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Getting the new Layton to play, so I'm not terribly disappointed, but the new selections this week really suck.

WebHead

WebHead said:

Just emailed a complaint to Nintendo about their poor performance as of late.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Thanks Nintendo, I will buy more retro games this week and nothing from you.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

I'm getting Adventure Island, so not everything is lost for me this week, but seriously Nintendo, what happened to SMB3 on the 3DS eshop? Also, put the classic Pokemon games on the 3DS and watch them sell through the roof, even without link cable functionality. TPP demonstrated there's still an audience for those old games. You are missing on all that money.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Great VC games for 3DS and Wii U this week!

Cube Tactics, a new game by Teyon, is hitting the eShop next week~ ;)

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Alright Adventure Island II and NES Open Tournament Golf. Those are alot better then Super Mario Bros 3 Nintendo.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

I guess it's too much to ask for NOA to be on-time with the rest of the world when it comes to Virtual Console releases.

At this rate, we'll be LUCKY if the GBA games hit the Wii U before December.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

Buy Runner if you don't have it already. It is so, so good.

And then spend some of the money you've saved on Blok Drop just to show your support.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Capt_N - "Nice to know I'm not the only one without a WU"

I would highly recommend waiting before purchasing a Wii U at this point. DKCTF is out and Nintendo has nothing to offer in stores until May 30th when MK8 comes out (3 days after W_D on PS3Xbox360PS4X1PC). In those dog days of April I can't imagine Wii U doesn't see another price drop or a MK8 bundle, or both. PS4 is still selling well and X1 may pick up w/ the Titanfall bundles, but Wii U just sits there waiting. It needs something before E3.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I recomment RUNNER 2 to anyone who doesn't yet have it. The game is a steal at that price.

odd69

odd69 said:

i wouldnt overlook adventure island, this week is a step up of the past few weeks.

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

@kitroplious huh next week? I could swear the trailer said "release: 6 of march"....

Or that could be the date the trailer got released...

Vermithrax

Vermithrax said:

For all the problems with the Wii U the Virtual Console has to be the most infuriating. I thought when the Wii U was announced that by now we would be playing a full library of N64, GameCube, NES, and super NES games. Instead each week I wait to find overpriced garbage. Once in a while we'll get a gem. Come on Nintendo, there's millions like me begging for you to take our money and you won't. This is probably the easiest problem for the Wii U to fix but they think somehow making VC games rare it makes them more special. Can I just play damn Yoshi's Island snes already? What about Mario Sunshine??? Dag nambit!

Vermithrax

Vermithrax said:

@Capt_N if Mario Kart and SSB don't sell systems like they're betting on you will see a gamepad free system at $200. I guarantee it. Though I'm betting. MK bundle will sell millions.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Vermithrax Disney uses a variant of the same thing which worked up until DVD's happened. End result these days is just loads of counterfeiting and Ebay making loads of money enabling it.

World

World said:

I wish there was an option for "entertaining histrionics" because then every single week would be a win for me!

Seriously though, I'll probably get Adventure Island II at some point! And it will go poorly for me.

JCnator

JCnator said:

Adventure Island II seems to be an interesting game, but I'd rather try it out on the perhaps inevitable Wii U VC version.
Otherwise, none of the games of the week really caught my interest.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

I was in the eShop Monday to buy Runner 2, about to click buy, when I thought... "Nah, let's see if it goes on sale."
Always trust your instinct, because I totally just saved $10. :D

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

I want Adventure Island II but for Wii U (in America we didn´t get this version in Wii).

Superryanworld

Superryanworld said:

@Vermithrax Well,thanks for saying what I was thinking.I'll go back to tropical freeze and continue to not spend money on vc.I think sonic the hedgehog 3d was the last game I purchased on eshope.Please understand nintendo,vc could be so much better if you would listen to what the fans say in regards to the games we'd like to play.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

@Capt_N - keep an eye out you might find a deal..... Zelda Wii U with 2 games for was $270 and I talked my sister in to getting it for her family.

Of course I assume a $299 MK8 Wii U bundle will be out about May 20th

Bikeage

Bikeage said:

Already have Adventure Island II on the NES. Paid $2. As much as I like the game, cannot bring myself to double dip.

divinelite

divinelite said:

Ive seen so many weeks with no download as the best vote and asking is nintendo really dont have that many game?
Last I download anything is Liberation Sin and Steel Diver from eShop a while ago, but in Psn I always have something to download every week
Well on bright side, my psn is overload but my nintendo system get more focus because fewer game

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

@gamerphil07 I'm not sure what making games has to do with the quality and management of a company's online infrastructre. I doubt anyone would argue that the "e-shop" platform is even close to the PSN or XLive for that matter. Nintendo made great progress the last two yeas I would say but they are still half a decade behind in most regards. I'm happy that I was able to go all digital with my 3DS but there are downsides, for the most part you have to pay anything but "streetprices", for some games we had to wait forever (think Kid Icarus Uprising), there is still 0 Nds and Gba games available, the virtual console in general is pretty barren, it took them until recently to unify accounts for 3DS/WiiU, Software is still licensed to a specific hardware and not to a account (without a option for the customer to transfer the license without access to the (operable) device) ... Most of the issues could be fixed rather easily I guess and I have no idea what's holding them back, but truth be told, these updates are becoming something of a joke, 1 vc per week ? with nintendos back-catalogue of software ? games that are still only available as retails (tales of the abyss, theatrhythm ? With every passing months this whole thing is becoming less eccentric and more sad and actually ... worrisome.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

Not sure why Nintendo keeps putting NES games on the 3DS VC instead of GB, GBC, GameGear, etc. I'd love GBA games on the 3DS VC, but I know that Nintendo is too afraid of pissing off the Ambassadors to do that. To be fair, I don't blame them. They already have the majority of their fanbase pissed off at them for other reasons.

The last NES game I purchased on my 3DS was Summer Carnival '92 RECCA. That still isn't on the Wii U VC.

Also, for those saying they haven't downloaded anything in months, why on earth don't you have Retro City Rampage DX? Amazing indie game.

gamerphil07

gamerphil07 said:

@Ralek85 Not just eShop. If you hadn't noticed, Nintendo is extremely likely working on a new franchise, maybe even two. On top of Smash, Yarn Yoshi, Hyrule Warriors, the new Zelda, this mystery retro game and loads more. Right now, they're playing it safe and keeping the I.P.'s confidential until they have a solid idea that they can build on. Just you wait, bud. Give it some time.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Dat Adventure Island!!! Seriously, I love that game! It's one of the first I ever played, and a really fun one at that.

Other than AI on 3DS though, it's another bad week for VC. That's ok though. We should have a pretty heavy rain of great VC titles, starting the minute Shovel Knight releases in a few weeks.

AkDeath

AkDeath said:

Am I crazy or was there an article a while back about how Nintendo was struggling financially?

I find that hard to believe since they are sitting on a treasure trove of old games that they can't even be bothered to convert to the eshop. The 3DS eshop in particular has been pathetic lately.

Darthziggy

Darthziggy said:

Runner 2 is fun so far, but I already got it for my 360 when it was on sale for half that price a few weeks ago. If you only have a Wii U, it's worth checking out though. Fun music and addictive gameplay.

joey302

joey302 said:

@Gerbwmu gauntlet, space harrier, asteroids -space invaders- centipede- millipede- panzer dragoon- jet set radio- outrun- gorf -supercobra- frogger- pitfall -kaboom -defender- joust- tempest- Mario 64- luigi's mansion- ms pacman- wave race- nights into dreams-zaxxon-dragons lair-smash tv-operation wolf-crazy taxi- house of the dead- megamania just to name a few sound good? seems to me Nintendo doesn't know what classics are anymore!

brooks83

brooks83 said:

Nintendo, I need a reason to purchase the Wii U over your competitor's offerings...

JoeysGirl

JoeysGirl said:

I really wish Nintendo would put SNES games on 3DS eShop. And start with Secret of Mana & Earthbound. I would buy both today! Who else would like those on 3DS?

GamerFromJump

GamerFromJump said:

Sees Adventure Island II
"Oh cool, they're finally releasing more Game Boy games..."
Sees that it's NES
"OH COME ON!!"

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

@gamerphil07 I'm not trying to argue with that, but you're talking about content creation I'm talking about content management and delivery. That's two seperate issues.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Welp, I see a whole lot of nothing again this week. I should be so much poorer right now but thanks to Ninty I'm not. Thanks Nintendo!

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

@gamerphil07 One might hope so and don't get me wrong I'm very much looking forward to what Ninty can come up with gamewise this year. But I still find this argument dubious really, it most likely involvs completely different teams at Ninty, I don't see a gamedevelopment team crafting the e-shop platform, setting marketing policies and so on ^^ For that failure I'm affraid, I have to lay blame with at the very least Iwata himself

Uberchu

Uberchu said:

Where getting scammed D:

its 5 cents cheaper to get the bit trip game on steam. lmao

but 5 cents more to own on a Wii U? NVM Good deal TBH!