This 'Provisional' Mario Kart 8 Box Art May Get You Into Gear

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It's just a few months away

Update:

As correctly remembered by hwrose379 in the comments, this box art was initially visible as a very small image in the original announcement (linked in the text below). It seems even more feasible, as a result, that this provisional design will be the final box art.

Original Article:

Mario Kart 8 is a vitally important, big-name release for the Wii U, as Nintendo will hope to see it prompt the levels of enthusiasm enjoyed by Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7 on the Wii and 3DS. It's not that far away, either, with a worldwide May release confirmed.

With its arrival in a few months, it seems that some retailers are having a stab at box designs, and it's unclear whether they're being mocked up and since repeated around the web, or whether Nintendo's provided a provisional design for them to use. We're naturally cautious of retailers of which we've never heard, but will happily file this as a sensible provisional design now that Amazon France has joined in. The various European arms of Amazon are often in early with box designs and even, occasionally, product reveals.

If this provisional design does make the final cut, let us know whether you think it'll look good alongside the rest of your Wii U game boxes. It seems quite spiffy to us.

[via amazon.fr]

Azooooz

Azooooz said:

I believe it's a temporary box art, according to the sentence under the picture.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

It isn't vitality important. (If everything is stated like that then it no longer means anything).

Slowly but surely is the only way it will work there are no magic bullets.

(I would enjoy Mario Kart so much more if they had an option to enable or disable the rubberbanding.)

KarateKid1234

KarateKid1234 said:

It's beautiful. Needs more spiff and pizzázz. Also could be better. Most likely temp. box art.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I like it, but i dont really care if they change it come May. I just want to play the game with friends and family, and i'm tired of waiting so long in between game releases for new WiiU games. DKCTF hits in a couple weeks, and it'll be the first new WiiU game in three months. With nothing currently scheduled for WiiU in March or April, looks like it'll be another three months til Mario Kart 8. WiiU cant survive like that. It needs more games at a quicker pace. At this rate, WiiU will have 4 games per year. Not exactly a number that'll have the masses plopping down $300 anytime soon.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

It is the official box art, Nintendo published on the Investors Meeting slides on it's website and it is the same as this one. I love it! Nintendo has been doing awesome crazy detailed artworks for their 1st party box arts lately (Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, etc.) This is the reason why I'm still buying retail over digital :)

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

If this game doesn't sell systems then NOTHING will!! It's taken way too long to come out but it looks so awesome!!!

lazyinsu

lazyinsu said:

How about they finally change Mario Kart to Nintendo Kart (Super Smash Bros kart version)! It would be so awesome being able to play other characters from the majority of Nintendo's franchises (just like with Super Smash Bros).

DanMan82

DanMan82 said:

I think it looks pretty good myself. My body has been Reggie, I mean, ready for this game ever since I played the demo in Best Buy back in March.

@AdanVC Yes, you're right about this being the box art featured on the Japanese site for the investor's meeting.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I was in Target on Thursday and I was very excited to see the $1 pre-order cards for this game that get you a $5 GC w/ game purchase. Haven't seen a whole lot of pre-order cards for Wii U games, though 3DS has had it's share.

The card had a dark and shiny look to it that I like better than this cover - and Mario was sort of upside down and sideways - but Mario's dead serious look make this cover pretty good. I think that's the most serious I've ever seen him.

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

@ThomasBW84 This is the same box art Iwata used in his investors meeting, so it's most likely the final version. Just look at the report and go to the page where he announced the game is coming out in May. The slide has a super tiny version of this box art. Because of this, I believe that this is the final box art design.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@unrandomsam every Mario Kart article has a comment from you complaining about the rubber banding. Just man up and get good enough for it not to matter :)

My complaint is the lack of a 'kick cheat' button online or being limited to single races online when a 4 race Grand Prix would be fairer to judge scores and would also ensure 12 players and discourage people from disconnecting.

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

Joking aside, this provisional cover does look the part, though… It also makes it look like that Mario and Peach are going the wrong way…
I Think the tracks are running in parallel from what I remember of trailers and it showing multiple routes, but the image makes it look like that this is all one track, with M&P going one way along it, and everyone else going the other way…

MasterWario

MasterWario said:

I don't know why but I don't really care for Mario Kart atm...I guess all I care about right now is DK:TF

Looks decent enough though...shows what the major focus of the new Mario Kart is

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Why are Mario & Peach driving backwards..? That's just weird.

This should feature a Lakitu telling them to turn around.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

The look on Mario's face. Just... the look on Mario's face. Dayum!
Would be nice to see some "provisional" box art for SSB as well.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

At least there's no dull empty ugly white background of nothingness' like in the past 3 Mario karts. ;) As is, this is probably my favorite MK BoxArt since the SNES original.....Maybe tied with Double Dash!!
UntitledUntitledUntitled

K-Gamer

K-Gamer said:

@WaveBoy MK Wii was the same way, but I could not imagine a track in the background for that one.

Edit: Nevermind, I see you changed.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

It may not be much, but Mario Kart 8's box art is beautiful in its simplicity. However, it's nowhere near as simple as the past three Mario Kart boxes, and compared to those, this shines even more so.

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

@ChessboardMan good to see im not the only one to notice. If it is indeed supposed to be one track then someone is going the wrong way, be it Mario and Peach or Luigi and Bowser.

Superryanworld

Superryanworld said:

I still pick up mario kart seven all the time.My wiiu is finally going to get some use once dk and Mk are out.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@Diddy_kong
The Wii U's been getting some pretty awesome BoxArt as of late, and when combined with the Blue/Yellow color scheme it's got going on it looks Beatutiful. :*

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@WaveBoy Except for the Pikmin 3 box art. It just shows some zoomed in Pikmin side by side. The Gamecube box art for the original Pikmin was WAY better. It actually showes action, and the intense feeling of being chased by a Bulborb.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

1st Party Wii U games have the most pleasing box art I've ever seen. It's nice, bright, vivid, and filled with color. Get's me excited just thinking of how Smash Bros or X would look!
Untitled Untitled
Untitled Untitled
Untitled Untitled

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@MrWalkieTalkie I agree with all except for Pikmin 3 box art. Look at it! It's the only one that shows no action out of all (or most) the other Wii U box arts.

They needed a box art like Pikmin 1...oh well.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

I find it funny imagining how your reactions will be if Nintendo releases the Mario Kart 8 box art with a lot of white background as the final version.

Goginho

Goginho said:

That box art says everything about the new Mario Kart. Anti-gravity kart and topsy-turvy twists n turns showing off the new mechanic (making it refreshingly different from the predecessors and overall a stand-out), subtle blur effect indicating exhilirating speeds, smooth road surfaces, exciting and elegent s-curves, as well as crisp n clean visuals all foreshadowing dat HD. Oh, and Mario's iconic determined angry-eyed look :P ..ah takes me back to the MK64 days and its gorgeous box art.
It's perfect! :D

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

@jpfan1989 Ah, but you fail to notice that Toad and Rosalina are going in the same direction as Bowser and Luigi, so that's four against 2...
In all honesty though, I think these may be separate tracks running in parallel.
Either that or the Artist was Really desperate for everyone to face the same way.

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

Wait a sec... Upside down fairy tale castles, antagonists driving while shirtless (well technically, Bowser is naked)....

... It's Just Like Revolutionary Girl Utena!

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

@MrWalkieTalkie

Eh. I think the box art for Pikmin 3 and Game & Wario could have been a bit more creative, but otherwise, I agree.

Also, I thought Wonderful 101 was 2nd Party.

64supermario

64supermario said:

I like it, I don't see why some people seem dejected about it, could have been worse. looks at previous 3 cases

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@OdnetninAges I think this is how it works. Nintendo and made in Japan - first party. Nintendo outside Japan or with just some stake owned by Nintendo - 2nd party. Anything else 3rd party. (Nintendo never bought Platinum games). So that makes W101 3rd party.

But there is other weird things because under that definition Mario Kart 7 for example would count as 2nd party.

(There is an interview with Miyamoto where he defines it).

element187

element187 said:

GoNintendo posted the high res version of this box art, it looks phenomenal being able to zoom in on different sections without it pixelating.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@bizcuthammer

Let the masses worry about themselves and what they're going to do. It's really none of our concern.

Nintendo consoles have had large gaps between releases for decades. Unless Wii U is your first Nintendo console, you already know this. It's the same for 3DS (Link Between Worlds in Nov, then Bravely Default in Feb). It's certainly not ideal, but it's the way it's been for a long time, and I doubt it's going to be changing soon.

However, 4 games a year is a leaping exaggeration. N-Life just ran an article stating Nintendo averages 15 games per year per gaming device. Wii U got 12 major 1st party titles in 2013 (not including digital like Dr Luigi or NES Remix), and that was with a post-launch drought. This year will certainly have more than that. We already knew of 6 confirmed releases before the year ever started. With others, like Yoshi's Yarn, still plausible. On top of what they'll announce throughout the year and at E3. And don't forget, they'll squeeze releases in for the 2nd half of the year.

The important thing to remember about being a Nintendo gamer, is that the releases are much more sparse, but they're almost all top-shelf.
That's why I highly recommend owning multiple consoles. You have lineups like this: Bravely Default Feb 7, DKC Tropical Freeze Feb 21, Yoshi's New Island Mar 14, Final Fantasy X/X-2 Mar 18, and Infamous Second Son Mar 21.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

It's good! but it won't be final as I think Mario looks too aggressive? I know it's called Mario Kart but I am not so sure this will be final. Great cover though.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

@Funny_Moblin
Pikmin 3 still looks awesome and to be fair, the game is probably aimed at a more relaxing style of play so I suppose it's justified... still better cover art than Wario Ware's beaming mug...

I still love the Mario Kart box art and I'll be picking this up immediately! If this is the art, it'll be my favourite of the series! I really cannot wait.

Pod

Pod said:

There's a lot of color and power in this box art, but I fear the consumer friendly appeal of the last couple releases is gone.

It's not exactly sleek looking an easy to comprehend for the average parent. What's up with the perspective? What's that thing Mario's driving? Is the princess wearing a tracksuit? Will I be able to play this with the ridiculous Wii Steering Wheels I bought? 8 is a high number, am I missing something here?

We'll just have to see how it does.

withoutdk

withoutdk said:

well.... i am getting this :d just like all the other Nintendo games... they all rock. :D

rjejr

rjejr said:

There was an itsy-bitsy photo of the pre-order card I mentioned yesterday in today's Target Sunday flyer. I know it's not much but I'm glad to see Nintendo getting out ahead of this game. I'm not sure if I've seen DKCTF in an ad yet, though it did get a tv commercial the other night. Guess Iwata was serious about more marketing. Good for him.

Bottom of page 8. 3DS XL is on sale for $175.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@ThomasBW84 Haha, I like what you did there with the title:

[this provisional mario kart 8 box art MAY get you into gear]

I get it, because the game comes out in MAY! :D

Good one Thomas!

ZeroZX_Dev

ZeroZX_Dev said:

Ahhhh, so much hype!
Nintendo, market the heck out of this game and sell some consoles!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@ZeroZX_Dev There has been hype for loads of things recently and it has never been justified by the end product. (Without the hype less is expected).

meltendo

meltendo said:

Nice but they need to leverage their other characters more--show us Yoshi, etc. It doesn't scream "Pick me up and buy me right now!"

ChuKuNezu

ChuKuNezu said:

Honestly? I couldn't really care what the packaging looks like. I just wish it was soon than May. Ugh! Come on alreadyyyyyyyyy! T-T

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

@bizcuthammer
That's not really a problem for me, since I also play with 3DS. But you're right that people other than HC-Nintendo fans really don't have a reason to pay for Wii U for so little releases.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

okay this box art look awesome imagine smash bros box art when they make it man nintendo always amazes me when they make art like this.