Nintendo Reveals Release Windows For a Host of Promising eShop Games

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

There's plenty on the way

For a number of months we've been enjoying the promise of a broad range of download titles on the Wii U and 3DS eShop platforms, yet some delays have made arrivals a little slower than expected. With time passing, however, these titles have continued to creep closer, and Nintendo of America has issued an update on imminent release dates and windows.

We already know about Retro City Rampage DX arriving in the region tomorrow, but below are all of the updated release windows.

Wii U and 3DS

Wii U eShop

3DS eShop

It's pleasing, again, to see so many games on the way to the eShop stores. Some of these are estimated release windows and are specific to North America, but it's a reminder that there are a lot of promising downloads arriving soon.

Which of these titles are you most excited about? Sound off in the comments below.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

Hell yeah! Glad to see indie games are still strong on supporting Wii U. My wallet not so much but oh well :)

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

Its nice to see some of these games finally making their way onto the eShop. Shovel Knight, Assault Android Cactus, and Teslagrad are all day one purchases for me.

placidcasual

placidcasual said:

Monkey pirates?! MONKEY PIRATES!!?? Now that's a promising name for a game if ever I heard one...

rjejr

rjejr said:

Not a big fan of the term "window" but some of these actually have dates, and they're all in the next few months, only a couple of Qs up there, so that's good.

One downside - the more info like this Nintendo announces the less likely we are to get a Nintendo Direct any time soon. Though if they want to get all the "indie" stuff out now and save the ND for the retail games I'll consider that a win :-) I'm not a big fan of the tree house guy.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

I hadn't heard a whisper about 1001 Spikes for 3DS in so long that I assumed it had been scrapped. I'm all over that and Shovel Knight.

KFlow325

KFlow325 said:

I'm excited about shovel knight and any other VC games that come out!... I'm excited about BD this Friday more than anything :-D

cookiex

cookiex said:

What about Oddworld: New N' Tasty? It's supposed to come out this Spring.

Mrclaycoat

Mrclaycoat said:

Now if they can only fix their website to reflect this when sorting by release date...

GalacticMario28

GalacticMario28 said:

I was a little uncertain about Shovel Knight at first, but based on what I've heard recently, I think I've changed my mind; I'll buy it once I have some money to spare.

Razzle

Razzle said:

This is awesome. These games are perfect for times between major releases. My experiences with Knytt Underground, Nano Assault, Trine 2, Castlestorm and Rush have been excellent.

sevex

sevex said:

Shovel Knight and Shantae are my first picks. Oh and maybe Treasurenauts too.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Teslagrad is great, and Q.U.B,E looked interesting. What I want most from the eshop is the Oddworld remakes!

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

I'm most excited for:

Assault Android Cactus
Moon Chronicles
Scram Kitty & His Buddy On Rails
Shovel Knight
Treasurenauts
Wooden Sen'Sey

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Shovel Knight, Teslagrad and the 3DS lineup look quite good.
Hope they'll all come to Europe sooner or later.

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

Ahhh Spring. The season will be here soon, where we can see all the little indie games dancing amongst the flowers in the meadows.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Probably get 3DS Shovel Knight presuming there is nothing particularly wrong with the port.

Shantae when Wayforward were interviewed he stated he wasn't going to go back to what the first one was like (I think it really was great - the dsiware one not really). I wish I never played the dsiware one.

Gunlord / Pier Solar / 3D Classics - Steel Empire / 3D Classics - Afterburner 2 (Are what I remember being bothered about maybe they are all axed).

I would pay full retail in advance to get Rodeo the Sky Soldier pressed if I had the choice as well.

I kind of expected Strider to be on the Wii U. Along with the Ubisoft published Southpark RPG.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

And it's about danged time Nintendo of America got wirh the times and started revealing release dates for eShop games.

grovertheblue

grovertheblue said:

I didn't realize that Shovel Knight was releasing on Wii U and 3DS. Now I am not sure which platform to get it for. Anyone know of differences between the two versions? Thanks.

PikminWorld

PikminWorld said:

Just to make sure, this isn't all of the games right? Just the ones that are definite right now? Sorry, just want to make sure Tengami wasn't dropped. :P

JustinH

JustinH said:

Ittle Dew, Nihilumbra, Scram Kitty and Assault Android Cactus are all Day 1 buys here. I backed Shovel Knight on Kickstarter, so that one comes before Day 1 for me!

Sephariel

Sephariel said:

quite a few games missing like Block Drop U and Gravity Badgers which were confirmed by the developers to release in February/March. Also Ping 1.5+ and ZaciSa´s Last Stand etc.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Wow, Armillo has a release date at last! Interested in that one, Scram Kitty, Siesta Fiesta and probably Shovel Knight and Shantae. Teslagrad looks nice as well.

Nareva

Nareva said:

Teslagrad looks the most interesting to me. I'll definitely pick that up.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

@grovertheblue The only big difference between them is that the Wii U version will use Miiverse so players can give tips and warnings to each other by leaving messages in levels. And the 3DS version will make use of Streetpass with "Streetpass Arena" where I think you record yourself battling and exchange it with others or something.

InvaderBrinks

InvaderBrinks said:

My issue is that I'll probably get most of those on Steam on my PC for way cheaper or in Indie bundles. I want some indie games exclusive to 3DS and WiiU (especially ones that use the hardware in a unique way), which I guess most indie devs won't do any more because why not have your game on as many platforms so you can to make more money.

LightSuitGuy

LightSuitGuy said:

Aw, man. I have to wait until April for QUBE Director's Cut?

I guess Moon Chronicles will be enough 'till then.

Ootfan98

Ootfan98 said:

This is all good, but I won't be happy until Saturn, Dreamcast, @ Gamecube are announced for VC

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@InvaderBrinks The really good ones don't seem to have suffered much harm when they made it a 360 exclusive and then released it for everything else once it expired. (La Mulana was a similar sort of situation).

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

This is nice and all, but would it kill Nintendo to also include the VC games that are coming to the 3DS? I'm getting tired of saving my points hoping Adventure Island II, Final Fantasy, Super Maro Bros 3 or other VC games come out in any given week.

Why is NOA so quiet about upcoming Virtual Console games?

Unless I'm wrong, NOJ does put out release dates for their VC games. Why can't Nintendo do the same? Or at least let third-party developers give out dates on their sites.

enderboy221

enderboy221 said:

Can't wait for Q.U.B.E., Shovel Knight, and Scram Kitty! I need to see more of Moon Chronicles. It stinks that I'm one of the very few looking forward to Q.U.B.E.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Shovel Knight, Teslagrad and Nihilumbra look great, specially the first two.

I'm interested in some of the others too (Shantae, Treasurenauts, Wooden Sen'sey...)

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Caryslan noj never gives out release dates. We do have the games that are to be released the following week on the japanese Nintendo site. We always know whats coming up, and we always get at least one game a week, but we never know anything more than a week in advance whats coming out.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

damn my wallet is going to take a hit with these games but im waiting for moon chronicles, shovel knight, Qube, Teslagrad but i want to learn more about moon chronicles that trailer got me hooked now i want to learn more.

Tony_342

Tony_342 said:

I will be eagerly awaiting the reviews for most of these games - especially Shovel Knight, Wooden Sen'SeY, Ittle Dew, Armillo, Scram Kitty, Teslagrad, and QUBE. And I will definitely be downloading Treasurenauts and Moon Chronicles as soon as they are made available.

Good to know there will be something to play on Wii U between Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart.

SubZer023

SubZer023 said:

Shovel knight, treasurenauts, moon chronicles, iron fall, cult county, mutant Mudd's 2, smb3 , Bravley defualt , still gotta beat ALBW, SSB4, I still want DKC3D, and castle vaina mirror of fate , amazing year its going to be for me cx

RCMADIAX

RCMADIAX said:

@Sephariel Yeah I was a bit surprised BLOK DROP U didn't make the list considering that it is in Nintendo's hands undergoing review. Should be out this month though.

Artwark

Artwark said:

Easily Pirate's Curse and Shovel knight.....Assuming that I can get the pre-paid card as soon as possible.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

Looks like I'll have to do some extra labor around here to be able to get all the things of interest to me.. It'd be awesome if the Moon chronicles extends past the story of the first game after this "season".. Fortunately my woman is away for the next eight months, so I don't have to worry about my social life xD

Shambo

Shambo said:

Finally some news after all the great announcements! If the other are released later this year... I'll need an external hard drive, and a system update for folders on my Wii U menu. And lots of eshop cards.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

Armillo!!! Now I'll have Yoshi's new island AND armillo to tide me over till mario kart 8 comes out! :D

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

Shovel Knight is the only one with my interest. Shame this is only American release-dates and not UK... I wonder when we'll get it?

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Well, let me guess... the 1001 Spikes Q1 release date is only for the American release date?

Since Nicalis can't be trusted with European releases. I wish so much that some other more capable company would handle the European releases which seem so "hard" for Nicalis to do.

lebad

lebad said:

cave story + for european 3ds eshop ?????????????????????
why why why not there :'(

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Still no Nintendo Direct...I'm hoping they postponed it to blow us away with amazing Wii U news. They could use it. I want to get excited about more games coming this year, so far we only know MK8 and smash are due to arrive within a few months.

brucelebnd

brucelebnd said:

@B3ND3R lol you'd probably be the only one buying it. $15 is way too much to pay for it. why buy it on the Wii U for 15 when I could get it on Steam a month or so later for like $5.

my biggest problem with Nintendo's Indie games is the pricing. why would anybody buy them on a Nintendo platform when you can easily get them on ios or steam for a fraction of the cost.

so I'm going to pay more for what exactly?

Henmii

Henmii said:

"Where's Flipnote???"

The whole situation around this application is Epic fail!! I mean: How many times has Nintendo delayed this! We are waiting YEARS for this application, at least it feels like years! It's just a simple, little download, why can't they release it! Its terribly sad!!