Rumour: Nintendo Planning a 3D Mario Release on Wii U Before October

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Operation Wii U Revival, perhaps?

As Nintendo has made clear both in its Wii U Direct earlier in the year and in recent notes to investors, the second half of 2013 will see a major, sustained effort to kick-start a Wii U resurgence. We have a number of known releases that are set to grace the system in the Fall period, such as Pikmin 3 and The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD; judging on the wording of a Nintendo press release, we also expect a Wii U Mario Kart title to arrive this year. There are plenty of others too, many awaiting official release dates.

UK trade publication CVG claims to have sources, however, suggesting that Nintendo's aiming to release its new Super Mario 3D title for the Wii U before October. We already know that it'll be playable in some form at E3, but it seems fairly surprising that it'd be ready so soon, considering the scale of development that these titles normally encompass; CVG's sources believe it'll be at the vanguard of a major global marketing push for the system.

Of course, the only part of this that's confirmed fact is that a 3D Mario title will be playable on Wii U at E3, so we're trusting in unnamed sources. Considering the caliber of titles on the way it'd perhaps be surprising if the release schedule for the second half of the year was filled out further with this title, but it's conceivable that Nintendo will be going for its big guns to distract consumers from new Sony and Microsoft systems.

With a pinch of salt ready at hand, what do you think of this? Do you think Nintendo could be aiming to release its 3D Mario title so soon, or is this an unrealistic expectation? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

[via computerandvideogames.com]

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I believe the 3D Mario will release this year, but I don't know about it releasing that early. Wouldn't Nintendo want it to have a Christmas season boost?

I'm going to be skeptical about that part.

Mickey

Mickey said:

I hope we go back to the basics like Super Mario 64 with none of that Gravity or Water Hose schtick. I liked Galaxy, but I like Super Mario 64 more...

WesGrogan

WesGrogan said:

I really worry about them falling into a "feast or famine" routine.. There's been so little this year so far: a flood at the end of the year, and then nothing again for the first half of next year would be a bad trend to fall into. I'm all for having great games to play, both first and third party, but the latest news of "OMG Everything is coming out!!" is a bit worrisome to me.

GTWarrior77

GTWarrior77 said:

Nintendo sure needs to release it this year. Probably closer to Christmas/holiday season though.

APHughes

APHughes said:

If they are releasing it that soon they should be hyping it now or by E3. Then again maybe Nintendo is trying a new approach by announcing a game and releasing it 3 months later.

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

no please NO!
Not so soon, I don't want a 3DS-like Panic Mode again, where Mario and Kart were released clearly too soon

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I'm happy to see that there will be a new Super Mario game this year, especially since it will most likely use traditional controls. I just hope it isn't rushed out before it is 100% ready for release.

WesGrogan

WesGrogan said:

@TysonOfTime I hope so and you're probably right - not like we can do anything about it either way - but it is a concern of mine. I love, love, love my Wii U and definitely want it to succeed.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

Well, I wish Nintendo good luck with it, whatever the 3D Mario is. Of course, this is a rumour so the fact that it'll come before October probably isn't a fact.

WesGrogan

WesGrogan said:

@Spartacus3765 That is interesting, but I can't help but think that the boat sailed a long time ago on a successful (and relevant) sequel to Eternal Darkness. I fear it would be one of those occasions where the magic of the original is long-forgotten, leading to a Phantom Menace or Crystal Skull scenario where no one is truly satisfied (except, possibly, the bankers).

Williaint

Williaint said:

I hardly think it's means to get excited. Launching all these games (Pokemon, Mario 3D U, Mario Kart, Pikmin etc.) is going to saturate the marketplace. People won't be able to buy all the the games, and those people looking for 'other consoles' are going to ignore it completely!

rjejr

rjejr said:

Before Oct. for a game nobody has seen yet does seem a bit unlikely. Though Nintendo has surprised me the last few E3s w/ announcements of Kirby and DKCR this is Mario, Mario needs time to impress. You've been able to buy Pokemon X+Y $1 pre-order cards in Target for awhile now. If both a new Mario game - not a Sunshine HD remake - and a new Mario Kart - not a 7 HD remake - are coming out this fall then Nintendo should have had a big E3 presentation.

Didn't we see both Pikmin 3 and Kid Icarus: Uprising over a year before they released? But Mario will be out in 4 months? If it will be released by Sept. then they probably should have showed it at lasts year E3 when they showed Pikimn 3, which will be out 1 month earlier in August.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Revival? Nah, I don't think that word works.

Still, Mario sells systems, so it would be good for the holiday season. :)

SethNintendo

SethNintendo said:

Hopefully Mario Kart and 3D Mario combo works out for the Wii U as well as it did for the 3DS. I really don't care if Wii U fails to sell the most consoles. I just want Nintendo to be profitable and sell at least 50-60m consoles. If they can get an install base of 10m+ by the end of this holiday season then some 3rd party companies will no longer be able to ignore the Wii U userbase. Don't care if EA ever jumps on board because I haven't bought an EA game since late 90s.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

I know Nintendo does not rush games, but I always seem to worry about their new releases in each of their popular series, probably because of the high quality of the previous entries in the series. That being said I hope the 3d Mario game returns to the open world gameplay of Super Mario 64, or even a return to Sunshine gameplay, since I loved that game!

paburrows

paburrows said:

While I love the 3D game that we got for the 3DS I would love a 3D game thats more like the Universe/Wii games on the 3DS.

ivanmata

ivanmata said:

I don't see why we should be surprised, look at how Zelda LTTP has been in development for 2 years without us knowing, I guess a new Mario 3D is likely to come.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

@Dpishere I whole-heartily agree with you. I would like one of those two types of gameplay for the next Super Mario game or perhaps even a blend of the gameplay styles those two games offered.

HaNks

HaNks said:

this is what i call a hot rumour. some of that shiny 3d mario goodness coming real real soon.

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

Nintendo still never said Mario Kart U is coming this year, just that it'll be released before April 2014 (end of the fiscal year).

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

I don't mind an October release, but it does seem like it's not going to be a usual development time that 3D Mario's take. I hope Nintendo aren't pressures into rushing it out just to help the Wii U in the second half of this year.

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

I wonder what they're gonna do this time. I'm kind of hoping its a surprise sequel to Super Mario Sunshine or maybe even a Mario game that takes place in the Skies due to the popularity of Bioshock Infinite. It would be amazing if we had the first open world Mario game.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

If nintendo wants to move wii u units THIS year, the 3D mario has to come out by november. Mario kart and a remake of a 10 year old zelda game will help too, but nothing moves nintendo consoles better than an entry in the core mario series. Except maybe smash bros, but thats still at least a year away.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I want a mario game that is more open world like mario 64 and sunshine. It'd also be cool if it was actually in the mushroom kingdom this time, or maybe even a return to dinosaur land! I liked galaxy and all, but i really wanna see a return to the openness and exploration that mario 64 offered.

Zyph

Zyph said:

The second half of 2013 will be Wii U's reign! Well...minus PS4 and NeXtBox games. :P

Rod64

Rod64 said:

I just hope they don't rush it, but it makes sense considering the PS4 and Xbox Whatever.

mch

mch said:

I would love to find a list/overview on this page where it shows which titels Nintendo and it's studios are currently working on for WiiU and 3ds.
Of course it would never show the 'true picture' since there are always secret games or games that aren't confirmed yet, but over time such a list might help estimating the capacity and resources within the company and therefore a hint if surprises might come at us and in what time they can be expected.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

This is a critical title for charging up console sales. It has to come sooner than later at this point and be heavily advertised until no one is ignorant that the WiiU is the bright future after Wii.

It's time for some home run hitters!

QBertFarnsworth

QBertFarnsworth said:

I'm cautiously optimistic. There are a few times when it seems like they release a good game early when they could have released a great game later. I remember Wind Waker felt shorter and then we found out a few levels were scrapped. Skyward Sword was long, but it felt like we had to revisit areas in order to save time making new areas. It was this or make the game a Wii U launch game. The most blatant example is Super Mario 3D Land. The initial game was short, but then artificially lengthened by making you redo earlier levels with Shadow Mario or a timer.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

CVG a few weeks back said that although they wouldn't normaly be complimentary about Nintendos chances with the WiiU, they did have a lot information which although they couldn't disclose excactly what at that time could turn the WiiU's fotunes around later this year.
It seems CVG has now let slip some at least of that information. E3 for Nintendo may be low key compared to Sony and MS, but I think that it will benifit Nintendo more, as people will be expecting minor announcments but think there's going to be something actually quite big that will take people by suprise and generate a more buzz by being announced in a low key way rather than making a massive fuss on the big stage about it.
Time will tell of course. but honestly Nintendo hsvn't been in this industry for so many years when other have came and dissapeared for no reason.

SMW

SMW said:

Makes sense to me. Did you read the message Nintendo sent out to Wiis telling them to upgrade to Wii U? They mentioned Mario. They said to get a Wii U to play the next Mario. Of course they could have meant New Super Mario, though! lol

PopeReal

PopeReal said:

October usually means December in Nintendo language. Can't wait either way, should be amazing on the Wii U.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

wind waker hd, mario kart u, 3d mario, yoshi island for both, zelda 3ds, christ almighty they are literally releasing a nuke on us lol

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I really don't understand why everyone's out there on the Internet is trying to pass the Wii U a s the new Dreamcast. It's just so early in the machine's life. As for the lack of games, I have no clue what the fuss is all about, I have games I'm still playing from Xmas, currently trying to finish "LEGO City" while still playing "Monster Hunter Tri" and "NFS Most Wanted". Besides, this tale has repeated itself many times before, with the Game Cube, with the N64, etc... after their respective life cycle, didn't you end up with an amazing collection of both first party and third party titles? Perhaps I'm just too old and things aren't the same as before, but either way, I bought the machine day -1 and I have no regrets. By the time this thing turns one year old, I predict I will be an even happier gamer. And if everything else does fail... that's why I'm keeping an eye out on the Retron5. xP

Boofonater001

Boofonater001 said:

Looks like A LOT of new titles will be revealed at E3. Makes me that more exited for June. Kinda a bummer that they aren't having a big press conference at E3 though.

SpaceApe

SpaceApe said:

More Mario milkage to desperately try to stop the Wii U bleeding. Doubt this will do any good because the Mario U game that was in the launch window didn't sell that well either. What makes Nintendo think this will fair any better ? This just justifies more that everyone else has grown up except for Nintendo. Not a hater at all. Infact I bought a Wii U because I bought into the idea of the gamepad on how games it would change how games would be played. The problem is that Nintendo gave us average games at best hence why the Wii U is not selling. I wish them luck but like many other thousands of gamers we will be turning in our Wii U for something more promising very soon.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

Oh man, this is the 3DS all over again! Release a system, have the fanbase and critics claim that said system has no games, have Nintendo release a bad 3D Mario and mediocre Mario Kart the next year, and suddenly people trust Nintendo again and will say that "3DS/Wii U has strong support!" even though that "Strong Support" was from two mediocre Mario games.

Please don't rush this out Nintendo! I want a masterpiece like Galaxy, not a mess like 3D Land.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

Ok, that's it. I've seriously got to play through Galaxy 2 before E3 comes a knocking! :p
@Spaceape
Can you blame Ninendo for milking Mario? Most gamers are too blind and unwilling to try something as different & fresh like the Pikmin franchise, which is unfortunate because they're brilliant games. But alas gamers just want to play it safe and stick with a chubby plumber and sword wielding elf. Besides, it's 2D Mario getting milked, not 3D. Also, this better NOT be a Galaxy 3 or some sort of sequal to sunshine.
C'mon Nintendo, we need something completely original!

diavu

diavu said:

as much as i love nintendo and marios 3d games, i never buy anything without reading reviews. if it doesn't have good ratings, i'm not buying it. rushed or not

GN004Nadleeh

GN004Nadleeh said:

so a 3d Mario, a Mario kart and, a Zelda remake. the same lineup as 3ds, no originality for Nintendo, no wonder they fail

MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D said:

the fact nintendo acknowledge there is a problem with the wii u's games schedule is a really good step in the right direction.

what I think will also (possibly) give it an edge over the ps4 and nextbox is price.

those things ain't gonna be cheap, but the wii u will have a brighter future and a lower price.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Good Lord you would know that I'd like it very much! But I'm sceptical. Maybe Christmas, early next year?
Better that it's not rushed.

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

I felt like Super Mario 3D Land was somewhat rushed to quickly gain 3DS sales, as the GDC pictures don't truly add up to the 3D Land, despite the game being in years of development, and there were quite a few scrapped ideas from the game, including this photo from GDC at the top right
Untitled
But that doesn't mean it was a bad game, it just felt rushed to me.

FernandoMachado

FernandoMachado said:

I wish they took their time to make a perfect game like Galaxy.
But let's be honest, can they top Galaxy?

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

I read rumours that Nintendo are making a big promotional push with the Wii U in the 2nd half of the year, which has included delaying Pikmin, 101, and Wii Fit U to bolster the lineup of games during that period.

Hope Injustice and the last 30% of Lego can hold my interest until then....

NinGamer85

NinGamer85 said:

@IxnayontheCK no you're not. I love galaxy 1 and 2 but I think its silly to release a third especially when you're trying to convince the world this is a new Nintendo system. Continuing the wii mario games counters that. I'd like to see a return to the mushroom kingdom in beautiful hd. If they do continue something they should keep making mario games the best looking on the system. Galaxy looked so good, sunshine before that, mario 64...really show off the wii u. Also I think christmas is a better time with wwhd in fall and possibly karts. There's some mighty fine Nintendo titles on the way. They should release it the same day as ps4 lol

SpaceApe

SpaceApe said:

@HeatBombastic While that isn't horrible it isn't quite good enough apparently. There is no dlc support from hardly any of its 3rd party games which is quite disappointing. While Mario is still fun to play there comes a point in time where you just grow up and need more out of gaming.

NinGamer85

NinGamer85 said:

@GN004Nadleeh hmmm please look at 3ds sales for the fiscal year those titles released. If the wii u can increase sales by anywhere close to that it will beat Nintendo's sales forecast...and put wii u on top like its predecessor. Also 3ds sales are still sky high. How many months on top now?

SpaceApe

SpaceApe said:

@WaveBoy Exactly what I am talking about. Nintendo has no plans to grow up and give gamers something better. They are content with milking Mario and Zelda until their arms fall off. How pathetic is that ? When I was a kid I loved those games but like everyone else you grow up and move on to better things because you want more out of gaming than just adventure and platform games. I gave Nintendo another shot and they failed miserably. If anything I should have bought a 3DS.

Gregor

Gregor said:

@WaveBoy EHATEHATWHt?$?$!4&:&:&:$/$$.
WHAT ABOUT THE LEVEL DESIGN. They have litterally used nearly every level twice and sometimes MORE. THAT! IS! JUST! LAAAAZZZYY!!

nik1470

nik1470 said:

Lets face it the system needs to at least triple its install base this year to be taken seriously ready or not Nintendo needs to bring out the big guns.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm extremely excited for a new 3D Super Mario game. I'm hoping it will be either 'Super Mario Universe' or 'Super Mario Sunshine 2'. I've been waiting for a new console 3D Super Mario since I got all the stars in Super Mario Galaxy 2. They're just such fun games :D Such an epic feeling of exploration & excitement :D I just hope that most of the levels are untimed (except "challenge" levels of course), unlike how it is in Super Mario 3D Land.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

Way, way, way too fast for a 3D Mario title. I hope it's not a "New Super Mario Bros 2" style rush job.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

@paburrows Absolutely agree! This is what kept 3D Land from being a truly great game for me. It was very enjoyable, but it's got nothing on actual open-ended 3D Mario games.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

Prediction so far-

August: Pikmin
September: Mario U
October: Wind Waker HD
November: Mario Kart 8

???

Crunc

Crunc said:

This is good, but they need to have a significant price cut. Go ahead and have an ambassador program to keep early adopters happy, but they need to cut the price.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

It's definitely a good idea. With the Wii U's prices being slashed most kids will be getting that at christmas instead of the inevitably expensive sony/ms consoles. However most, if not all, hardcore gamers won't care about the price, but they will care about the games! So anyone who's not already in ownership of a WiiU, or need their minds made up, will be by the time Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart are all released!

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

great idea, ONLY if it is ready.
And i don't think it makes a ton of sense to release a 3D Mario platformer within weeks or even a couple months of a mario kart title.
I feel like now Nintendo is scrambling, and I think they would do well to get a Mario title out faster than later but I'm concerned if they rush out a new 3D Mario, the true flagship games of the entire Mario franchise in my opinion.
Galaxy and Galaxy 2 were two of the best titles on the Wii and in the mario series ever, in my opinion.
There is a reason for that, it did something new, it pushed what the wii could do graphically, it had brilliant level design, and it was completely polished all around.
Mario 64 is legendary on the N64.
I don't want Mario Wii U to be rushed at ALL, i'd rather wait another year or even two, although that wouldn't bode well for Wii U owners.
That being said, they could have very well been working on this game for years already, since Galaxy 2 was finished or something, I guess we will all find out at E3!!!

Peach64

Peach64 said:

People seemed to assume it was coming this year anyway when reacting to that Nintendo Direct in January. I don't think the second christmas is rushed at all. Mario 64 was launch and was amazing, and Galaxy was second christmas and was amazing (they'd shown in off over 18 months earlier before the Wii even came out).

Galaxy 2 had a lot of less experienced people on it as the building of the engine was already done. They will have been working on the next 3D Mario for a good few years by this point.

jayblue

jayblue said:

sounds good would also like,mario rpg on vc so i can play it on gamepad.just release all snes rpgs on vc they will sell like hot muffins.release galaxy 1 and 2 for gamepad play that would be sound.make new mario multiplayer so we can play levels with lots of people on same screen.

Nirosmir

Nirosmir said:

Good games coming the second half of the year, i dont know but i get the feeling New Super Smash Bros. will release somewhere on march of 2014...and also, what happen to Deus Ex for Wii U? i herd its coming out May 7th, which is next week on tuesday, but i havent herd anything new since the trailer

Game0ver_Gavin

Game0ver_Gavin said:

I REALLY hope this isn't Galaxy 3. The Galaxy games were outstanding, but I just feel it's time for something new. But either way, this is going to sell a ton of systems; with a price drop, a new Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Pikmin, Pokemon (Rumble U), Wii Fit, and MAYBE Retro's new project (METROID DREAD!), the Wii U will be great! The console's going to be on a lot of cristmas lists. :3

Emaan

Emaan said:

Didn't expect to see it come so soon, as long as this isn't a rushed effort, I'll be looking forward to it. I liked Super Mario 3D Land, but it wasn't up to par with the two Galaxy games.

Mickey

Mickey said:

Guys. Remember who were dealing with here? Shigeru "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad" Miyamoto! Have some faith!

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I don't think anyone ever needs to worry about Nintendo rushing a game. This is the company which pushed back Pikmin 3 from launch to Q1, Q1 to Q2, Q2 to Aug 4th for the sake of polishing. Skyward Sword was not rushed. May have "felt" that way, but that game was talked about since the lauch of Wii in '06-07, and didn't release until 2011 if I remember correctly! 3D Land wasn't rushed either. I thought that game was spectacular. Familiar territory, yes. I mean, it's a Mario game. But just because a game utilizes gameplay/level design etc... which is not generally accepted by the community as innovative or groundbreaking, doesn't necessarily equate to the game in question having been rushed.

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

Yeah, hopefully MKU and the new SM 3D game aren't rushed. I feel like SM3DL and MK7 were really rushed as they kind are reusing ideas while adding a few new things to each respective series. Even the developers thought they were rushed because they had to be out for Christmas 2011. Hopefully that doesn't happen again this year.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Somethings gotta give though. Nintendo never oversaturates the market with major titles. Remember that Wind Waker is supposedly coming out in October. One of these games has to be for March 2014.

I'm guessing Wind Waker will be delayed til March since everyone needs new Mario themed system sellers.

gsnap

gsnap said:

If it hits this year I would've expected November. But hey, if they can get it out before October I'll take it.

tsm7

tsm7 said:

3D Mario - November
Mario Kart - December
Did the same with the 3ds and it worked.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

If they rush 3D Mario they should do a re-make of Super Mario 64, I actually agree with the above comments. If Nintendo release Pikmin 3, Zelda Windmaker, a 3D Mario and a Super Mario Kart all in the same year will it really help them? I don't know but Nintendo should...

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I don't think Nintendo considers Pikmin to be a "major" franchise. Great for fans because that means Nintendo can release another AAA title shortly afterward.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

The 3D Mario title can wait til early next year. Pikmin 3, Zelda: WWHD, WiiFit U, and Mario Kart U are already releasing this year.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Wii U looks like it's got some solid titles coming this year. MK8, new 3D Mario, Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends (although some are still slightly angry about that one), and Splinter Cell Blacklist. Still, before October seems like so quick for this one! I hope they aren't rushing it, but I trust it will be good.

Super-Mario-Fan

Super-Mario-Fan said:

wow
This is a lot earlier than I though
Well I hope it will be something truly amazing :)
Can't wait!
I'm kinda hoping to see a Super Mario Sunshine 2 :3

Ren

Ren said:

Between this and the Eternal Darkness sequel news I could well reconsider my rage over the WiiU's lameness. I'll be all about it if they can actually be bold enough to add some detail to the ancient character models. Nintendo; onward into 2005!

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

For all we know, maybe it's been in production for a good while? I don't think they would rush something like a 3D Mario.

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

Whoa Nintendo!!! I was expecting the 3D Mario to come this year but before October?!?! No, no, and no. Please Nintendo make it a Thanksgiving or Christmas release. This will most definitely bolster Wii U sales but please don't rush it or else it won't bolster the sales as much as you're hoping it will. PLEASE wait until November/December to release this game, not before October. Please, I beg of you.

McGruber

McGruber said:

Dramatic much.....I think this strategy is great if truel Worried the games will feel rushed like Mario 3DS, but we'll see!

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

yup i knew this new mario game would just be bad and rushes especially from the makers of galaxy idk why everyone says it was good to me galaxy felt like they tried so hard and gimicky but w/e they should take there time do we really need another mario game so soon?

dont forge the mario games that already been announced for the 3ds...

AtomicToaster

AtomicToaster said:

If i didn'talready buy the console i woukd have for 3d mario in hd! Its gonna feel like n64 all over again, it can't be missed!

AtomicToaster

AtomicToaster said:

3dland didnt feel rushed theres a ton of content in that darn game! If there's a delay people bitch, if it comes a month earlier than expected even though it was years in development it's 'rushed'! The internet fails at everything!

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

I think they will release Mario in september and a WiiU + Mario bundle for Christmas. That will help casual gamers to upgrade their Wii.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

Please be an open world Mario. If I want a linear game I play 2D. I just hope they are not going to play all their cards for 3DS and WiiU for the end of the year. It would be stupid to not have any major launches in the first half of 2014.

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

About time they get things going, but this only means one thing: the same old games draught next year around the same time of this year. Why? Even if Nintendo puts out high caliber titles, they cannot sufficiently feed the system with enough games each and every month to come alone, and even IF third party developers finally see the appeal of the Wii U with boosted sales through Nintendos first party efforts, they will just START making games for the system then, it's basically like another botched launch all over again.

But seriously... personally, not in a grander financial business scale: so what? I got my 3DS, might pickup a Wii U soon for my Nintendo fixes and for everything else I have my custom built PC.

banacheck

banacheck said:

The fact that Iwata took developers off game's like this Mario and many others, to finish development on the likes of New Super Mario Bros & Nintendo Land. Shows some of these new games can never be as good as they should have been, and the Wii U was rushed onto the market.

At a recent Q&A session with investors, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata dropped the bomb: He had to delay these games, he said, because he had to pull development staff off of them to help finish NintendoLand and New Super Mario Bros. U, without which Wii U could not have been launched at all.

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

If they do release it this year, I can see a(n) "[Insert game name here] 2" towards the latter portion of the Wii U's lifespan.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

Nintendo, just promise me you guys aren't rushing this game and are being extremely creative with it. I want a game as good if not better than Galaxy. It seems tough, but make it happen Nintendo. Delay the game if you need to, just make sure the game's as good as Super Mario Galaxy!

AntiGuy

AntiGuy said:

Let it be a free exploration Mario game like 64 and Sunshine! I love Galaxy but I don't like to go from point A to point B, no, that's the job for the crappy NSMB franchise... don't fail me Ninty.. ):

Kresslia

Kresslia said:

Hopefully they aren't rushing it. A 3D Mario game is the last thing I'd want them to rush, especially when they'll be attempting to top my two favourite games ever made. In my eyes, Nintendo's true masterpieces typically come in the form of 3D Mario games and home console Zelda games.

Araknie

Araknie said:

I don't think so, they already announced a Mario Kart Wii U.
I love how people still react to rumors after all this year of delusions from them.

Sun

Sun said:

Operation revival. I just hope Nintendo don't rush these key games as they did with the 3DS homonyms. Think about Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Mario Tennis, Paper Mario...

I don't want a half-baked Mario Kart or Super Mario. Please, not again.

MrSonicFan34

MrSonicFan34 said:

I hope this has been in development for a while now. I don't want a game in the Mario series to turn out like Sonic 06'

manic221

manic221 said:

Well if it's the same team as Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 which i'm sure it is by Christmas they'll have had at least 3 years on the game but i suspect it could be easily up to 5 years because i'm sure the whole EAD team wasn't needed for Galaxy 2 so i imagine the team was split after Galaxy 1 a small team worked on Galaxy 2 while a bigger team started work on the next game,

This is all just speculation but if this is true then they've had plenty of time on the new game and Nintendo don't usually have playable versions of games years before a release so i'd say this is highly likely.