Nintendo Download: 4th September (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Cubemen, Xtreme Mega Man, Gargoyle's Quest II, Zelda discounts and more

It's Monday, which means it's Nintendo Download Update news for Europe. There are quite a few offerings on the way this week, with games on both Wii U and 3DS along with a rather good DSiWare app; in addition there are a host of Zelda-themed discounts, joined by some other price reductions. Let's get to it.

Wii U eShop

Cubemen 2 (Nnooo, €7.99 / £6.99) — While the core of this game is real-time action strategy, its release has extra profile courtesy of its extensive cross-platform online multiplayer options, in addition to the ability to create and share levels while also enjoying those uploaded on other platforms. That's quite a technical feat, though we'll see whether that promise is squared off with top-notch gameplay in our upcoming review.

Wii U Virtual Console

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (Konami, €4.99 / £3.49) — This third and final NES entry in the iconic franchise is one of the most highly regarded in the series, as it combines solid action platforming with multiple paths and playable characters. It evolves many of the traits that made the first title so popular, and we gave it a glowing recommendation in our Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse review. This is the US version of the game.

Gargoyle's Quest II: The Demon Darkness (Capcom, €4.99 / £3.49) — A prequel to the much loved Game Boy original, this features exploration of an overworld map with sidescrolling action sequences. This is the first appearance of this entry in a Western Virtual Console, and we'll see whether it's worth snapping up in our review. This is the US version of the game.

Wii U eShop — The Legend of Zelda Promotion

There is a series of discounts to celebrate the upcoming release of Hyrule Warriors, and if any Zelda title (download) is owned on a Nintendo Network account before its release there'll be a 10% discount on the download version of the new game in its first week of release, priced €44.99 / £35.99 instead of €49.99 / £39.99.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Nintendo, €39.99 / £32.99 until 11th September, normally €59.99 / £49.99)

The Legend of Zelda (Nintendo, €3.49 / £2.44 until 11th September, normally €4.99 / £3.49)

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (Nintendo, €3.49 / £2.44 until 11th September, normally €4.99 / £3.49)

3DS eShop

European Conqueror 3D (CIRCLE Entertainment, €3.99 / £2.99) — A continuation in many respects from previous Conqueror games on the 3DS eShop, this entry brings its brand of turn-based strategy to the Second World War; it has plenty of content to work through. It's a fairly mediocre and uninspiring effort overall, however, as we explained in our European Conqueror 3D review.

3DS Virtual Console

Mega Man Xtreme (Capcom, €4.99 / £4.49) — This is set in the same world as the first two Mega Man X games but shrunk down to the Game Boy Color, which is enough to get some rushing to the eShop. It's an exciting idea that we felt came up short in execution, however, with some presentation and control issues dragging it down. You can read more in our Mega Man Xtreme review.

3DS eShop — The Legend of Zelda Promotion

There is a series of discounts to celebrate the upcoming release of Hyrule Warriors, and if any Zelda title is owned on a Nintendo account before its release there'll be a 10% discount on the download version of the new game in its first week of release, priced €44.99 / £35.99 instead of €49.99 / £39.99.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo, €29.99 / £25.99 until 11th September, normally €44.99 / £39.99)

The Legend of Zelda (Nintendo, €3.49 / £2.44 until 11th September, normally €4.99 / £4.49)

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (Nintendo, €3.49 / £2.44 until 11th September, normally €4.99 / £4.49)

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

Football Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games, €1.74 / £1.49 until 11th September, normally €6.99 / £5.99)

Code of Princess (Agatsuma, €20.99 / £17.00 until 11th September, normally €29.99 / £24.99)

Sayonara UmiharaKawase (Agatsuma, €12.00 / £9.99 until 11th September, normally €24.99 / £19.99)

Super Little Acorns 3D (Pixel Toys, €2.49 / £2.49 until 11th September, normally €4.99 / £4.99)

Wakedas (CIRCLE Entertainment, €1.99 / £1.79 until 11th September, normally €2.99 / £2.50)

Witch & Hero (CIRCLE Entertainment, €1.99 / £1.79 until 11th September, normally €4.00 / £3.60)

World Conqueror 3D (CIRCLE Entertainment, €3.99 / £3.59 until 11th September, normally €4.99 / £4.29)

3DS eShop Demo

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (Square Enix, free)

DSiWare

Rytmik World Music (Cinemax, 200 Nintendo Points) — This entry in the well-regarded music creation series hit North America in late 2012, so it now arrives in Europe with a greatly reduced price. It has an impressive range of capabilities and instruments, albeit lower in samples than some other entries, and we gave it a strong recommendation in our Rhytmik World Music review.

Plenty of choice this week in Europe, then. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (214 votes)

Cubemen II (Wii U eShop)

11%

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (Wii U Virtual Console)

Gargoyle's Quest II: The Demon Darkness (Wii U Virtual Console)

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Wii U eShop promotion)

The Legend of Zelda (Wii U eShop promotion)

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (Wii U eShop promotion)

European Conqueror 3D (3DS eShop)

Mega Man Xtreme (3DS Virtual Console)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS eShop promotion)

The Legend of Zelda (3DS eShop promotion)

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (3DS eShop promotion)

Football Up 3D (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Code of Princess (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Sayonara UmiharaKawase (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Super Little Acorns 3D (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Wakedas (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Witch & Hero (3DS eShop temporary discount)

World Conqueror 3D (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (3DS eShop demo)

14%

Rytmik World Music (DSiWare)

Nothing for me this week

28%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

Well I just came here to say that I thought Cubemen looked like one of those FPS minecraft games...but it seems to be different and looks interesting.

clavier141

clavier141 said:

I've got to admit, these discount promotions by Nintendo are pretty good. But I've already got all the Zelda games I need so just the Theatrhythm demo for me.

Ventilator

Ventilator said:

I hoped that there would be some Indie sales for Wii U. Especially on "How to Survive" which is worth much less due to lack of online.

Cubemen 2 with cross platform play, level sharing etc. looks like a must buy thou.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Good discounts there.
I'll probably get Gargoyle's Quest II, Code of Princess and
Sayonara UmiharaKawase.
Most excited forGCII since so i voted for that.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Please mention that the 10% off Hyrule Warriors is only for the first week of release (19th-26th). Since I don't have time to get it then I guess this has steeled my resolve to wait for a sale.

The Zelda discounts are kind of crap though. OOT 3D has been 50% off in the past (better than this discount). LoZ 1+2 were also 30% in that NES remix promo a few weeks ago.

@Kyoto Probably not this week (apparently they are saying something tomorrow). If it isn't in the press release on the 22nd panic then.

@gurtifus NOE release schedlue released on Friday said 2014. Of course the developer need to finish the translations and submit the game to NOE first...without those NOE don't have anything release.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Nothing for me this week, but at least I got some news I was waiting.
Downloading Hyrule warriors would cost me 10% less since I own WindWaker... I'll keep it in consideration as purchase option if retailers in Italy won't hurry in tell me who of them has the Ocarina DLC DX

Oh! And I recommand Code of princess, Sayonara Umiharakawase and witch and hero to whoever still missed them, those games are worthy their full price, so those are definitely good offers :)

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I'll pick up the Oracle games and Minish Cap. I wish the discounts were a bit bigger though like PSN and XBLA sales.

erv

erv said:

So, the newsworthy part is de 45 euro price tag for my potential hyrule warriors buy.

Thanks :)

JoakimZ

JoakimZ said:

I bet A Link to the Past, A Link Between Worlds, Minish Cap and the Oracles games goes on sale next week :)

This week I might pick up Gargoyles Quest II, I've been wanting to play it since I read about it in a Nintendo magazine in the early 90's, but never got the chance :)
On the other hand, I don't think I will have the time to play it in the near future, because of Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate being released on friday, and Hyrule Warriors 2 weeks after that. Those games have a tendency to eat up a lot of time.

Finntendo

Finntendo said:

So what is this talk about 10% discount of HW? How much it will be priced on eShop? 49.90e? I started to doubt pre-ordering since I missed the LE . In Finland it seems to be from 48e to 60e. Ordering from UK would save a few euros even with postage.

Yeah, counting euros here :D

danjohnson141

danjohnson141 said:

already have Zelda on Wii U so I already get my discount which is pretty sweet but for that price i'll pick up zelda2 anyway...if only it was 10% off for every Zelda game you own!

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Next week's discounts look even better when the GBC and GBA Zelda games come to discount.

OrangeCluster

OrangeCluster said:

Is Code of Princess's framerate still terrible? I'm feeling slightly tempted but seeing that SMT IV is going to be released this month I might hold on to my eshop credit.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Code of Princess is still a bit expensive when comparing how low Atlus was selling it in North American eShop earlier.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Code of Princess has been so much cheaper in the US, I will wait for it to be around £10 or less at this point so only the Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call demo for me this week also terrible update.

clvr

clvr said:

I'm glad Code Of Princess finally got its discount here in Europe, so I think I'll download it. However, I'm slightly disappointed that we still don't know when SMTIV is out.

Jampie

Jampie said:

Oh! I hope more people will pick up Sayonara UmiharaKawase now that it is on sale! An awesome game.

Wouwter

Wouwter said:

I was waiting for Sayonara UmiharaKawase to be discounted, but I didn't expect it to get that big of a discount. Definitely buying that. :)

Ntommy

Ntommy said:

OMG!!! Finally... for the first time ever we poor Europeans have a Code of Princess discount... I've been waiting for so long... now I can buy it at last. xD
Probably UmiharaKawase, too.

BensonUii

BensonUii said:

That WWHD is tempting since I'm switching all digital but only 33%? I've passed up the 50% discount last week (physical disc) on my local store. I'll wait for the Zelda SNES and GBA discounts. I've already bought the NES Zeldas 50% off promotion last time if you own NES remix.

Also Castle-effing-vania 3! I could finally buy part 1-4! I hope they bring Aria of Sorrow soon!

123akis

123akis said:

Downloading that Teatrhythm demo, i'm getting the game but it's nice to plsy a demo before release!

XyVoX

XyVoX said:

Sayonara UmiharaKawase looks very interesting which i haven't seen discounted before.

Arngrim

Arngrim said:

Got Ocarina of Time on a cartridge, might want to upgrade that to digital to go alonside my other zelda games. Prefer having the, digitally so i dont have to bring the games with me everytime i go somewhere.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Sayonara if the US gets that sale. I dont know how that price would translate but even for $15 Ill pick it up and play it on my wifes pink 3DS as I wait for the New 3DS XL next year.

Noelemahc

Noelemahc said:

Umihara Kawase finally costs as much as I was willing to pay for it, and then there's the Theatrhythm demo...

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Probably just Sayonara UmiharaKawase for me this week.

Interesting to see Gargoyle's Quest 2 there, decent game though I've still got my original NES cart and I've never thought it was quite as good as the Gameboy original. Hopefully it's a sign that Demon's Crest is on it's way to the Wii-U VC at some point.

kensredemption

kensredemption said:

Been wanting to play an RTS lately. Just kinda hoped Blizzard would bring Starcraft to the Wii U as well. :O

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Looks like I will still be waiting for SMT IV.

Well Persona 4 Golden arrived for me today so that will keep be busy till SMT IV is released later this month.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Demo and maybe Code of Princess for me.

Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo is great at that price, don't miss the chance.

Finntendo

Finntendo said:

@Grumblevolcano

Okay cool. So actually eShop price is similar to physical disc :D

And this time I'll so buy OoA and OoS for 3ds.

OoT 3D is tempting, but I do have original and Master Quest so... :P But it's such a great game that I don't think owning 3 versions is a problem (don't tell my husband)

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

Aww why isn't Minish Cap on sale? :( Guess i'll just get Castlevania 3!

Also, STILL NO SHOVEL KNIGHT

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

@unrandomsam Thanks buddy! I actually first thought you referred to Shovel Knight coming next week FOR ONLY £4.49 and got really excited... But Minish Cap is cool too! ;)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Will be getting Castlevania III since I'm paying again (even if it is only £0.99p) for a game that I already own on Wii.

LN3000

LN3000 said:

I have Theatrhythm pre-ordered. But I'm still deciding whether to get digital or physical. I'll need to clear room on my SD card if I go digital.

Vriess

Vriess said:

I already own all Zelda games on both platforms, but I'll give Castlevania III a whirl.
Supposedly the best one on the NES. Next week Teslagrad!! :D

Finntendo

Finntendo said:

@whodatninja

And you can follow the release for "other regions" on Yacht Club Games website. It saves many "OMG, still no Shovel Knight!" from you ( I know, I feel the same)

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

I'm surprised that, after almost a year, Wind Waker HD hasn't been reduced by at least 10$. I know it debuted at 50$ over here, I guess I'm just surprised a ten year old upmake is still pushing 50-60$.
By the end of the year, I'd imagine the Last of Us Remastered is going to be 35-45$, or roughly half the price of a new PS4 title.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

Cubemen 2, you say? I think I'll wait till next week and get Teslagrad and stick with Capcom's rather wonderful Gargoyle 2. I'm waiting patiently for Tengami (seems it's rated and ready to go) and Demon's Crest.
Hyrule Warriors seems like a November purchase to me, wanting to have money for eShop games and the high end Capcom / Konami VC titles.
October is Bayonetta time.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

I can confirm: North American release for Ice Cream Surfer, this Thursday, September 4th.
USD is unknown, but the CAD is $5.50
Just throwing that out there for @NL to pick up on.