Video: The Dubious Charm Of Senran Kagura Burst Is Explained In Thirty Slightly Awkward Seconds

Posted by Damien McFerran

Scantily-clad female fighters, you say? We hadn't noticed

Senran Kagura Burst hits Europe this week, and the game has already caused quite a stir thanks to its racy content, which is largely based around huge-chested Japanese schoolgirls shedding their clothing as they get beaten up (when they're not fighting in their swimsuits, that is).

Amazingly, PQube — which is assisting in the distribution of the game in Europe — feels that people still aren't sufficiently aware of the game's mature subject matter, and has released a short trailer which helpfully aims to educate the uninitiated. As you can see from the footage below, it starts off with a very short snippet of actual gameplay footage before charging headlong into an uninterrupted stream of breasts, bums and bikinis.

What are your feelings on this line of promotion? Is the publisher right to use the game's overt sexuality to sell copies, or should it perhaps focus on the gameplay instead — which, if you've read our review of the North American version, is actually pretty good? Sound off in the comments section below.

ShanaUnite

ShanaUnite said:

If the game focuses on breasts pretty often than there should be no reason not to show it in the trailer( i mean thats just how the game is right?).

MJKOP

MJKOP said:

Getting it... Lol just kidding, hey it's dumb immature and slightly sexist, but it's not indicative of video games in general, despite what some sections of the media would have people believe. It's not for me, but if anyone else is in to it, no skin off my nose, enjoy

rjejr

rjejr said:

Just out of curiosity - are the breasts in 3D? There was no mention in the trailer of breasts "burst"ing out of the screen, which seems a missed opportunity if they look like they do.

Trailer seems appropriate if this is what the game is based on, which judging by the not in the least subtle sexualized cover photo it seems to be.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I still don't know if I want to pick this up or not. Is there a decent brawler hidden underneath all the silly Japanese silly hentai innuendo or not?

Sparx

Sparx said:

"Get your 3d turned on"

o///o If I liked beat em ups I might consider it but meh

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

the game is still fun even with all the what shall we call it "sugestive themes" (I'm trying to keep it clean here folks)

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

Well if I truly wanted this all I would have to do is go into another tab and search! what about the gameplay and story....not fan service!

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Well, gameplay is gameplay, and everything shown is actually a part of it.-

@Koffeeking0407 Grow up.

@Undead_terror @Shiryu Read the review. But yes, I can attest a fun, although not really deep, brawler behind this, rounded up with a very good story and surprisingly deep character development - not surprising for this game, but compared to what the gaming industry offered in terms of 'characters' lately.

Nareva

Nareva said:

I really don't care either way if people want to play these kinds of hyper-sexualized games, but I find it somewhat ironic that Nintendo Life is so vigilant about protecting its readership from the corrupting power of "coarse" language in comments, but is completely fine with this kind of sexual content, once even chiming in with a breast referencing pun for an article on this game. For my part, I'm much more tolerant of "bad" language than I am of sexual language among my friends and in my home. I'm just curious why Nintendo Life is okay with one type of "adult content" and not the other.

Heroboss

Heroboss said:

Lame. Especially when the title is 'what is senran kagura' and 90 % of the video is apparently about boobs... Understandable though...

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

...what?
Why do they keep saying: "It's a little bit..." over and over and over?

Why can't the guy pronounce the title? "SIN-RAN KA-GOO-RUH BURST"
Shudders

The lady sounds Japanese. What nationality is the guy?

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

@Koffeeking0407 lol ignoring the shallow details and seeing the other part is being mature a game without good gameplay will never be good no matter how much fanservice you put. gotta keep an open mind or you'll skip many good things all around(there are limits, though, but that's another story entirely)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I am not interested in this however I suspect it will sell well and it will become the template. (The template should be Guardian Heroes).

Koffeeking0407

Koffeeking0407 said:

@GuSilverFlame
The game is about scantily clad women no matter how great the gameplay may be. If my son ever tried to defend a game about half naked women with the "great gameplay" argument I would be disappointed at his lack of judgement and there would still be repercussions. No matter what light you try to shine on anything you can't polish a turd.

Doma

Doma said:

“It's a little bit”..... Wow, that was awful.

Hopefully it's decent. I decided to get this instead of the blatant rehash known as 'NEW' Yoshi's Island.

@Koffeeking0407 Faux outrage is dumb and immature.

Koffeeking0407

Koffeeking0407 said:

@Doma
Negative. If you want to subject yourself to this then that's your prerogative. You have your values and morals and I have mine.

OptometristLime

OptometristLime said:

@Koffeeking0407 isn't the only one who just watched a trailer with all the bouncy boob ladies, right?

All the mature people who surely garner no pleasure from the fan service. Your position is equally hypocritical, does it make you uncomfortable that someone would choose not to buy this game?

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

@Koffeeking0407 you're overeacting(or not too used to japanese stuff) anyway no one's forcing you to play it.
and saying the world is going to hell because of a pervy game when there are so many things that are far more extreme that came ages before is also pretty wrong.

Vhyper1985

Vhyper1985 said:

I think those of you taking this game seriously are missing the point, I personally find it hilarious that a company can get a game like this on a Nintendo system & in stores with the box art it has! The publishers know that it's silly & I can applaud them for having the balls to a) give it a physical release, b) use the box art that it does & c) have a special edition that comes with a T-Shirt that when translated says "Breasts is life, Donkey is Hometown" on it ... seriously those saying that this game is "disgusting" etc get a grip it's silly fun kinda like the Carry On films were back in the day, the gameplay is supposedly relatively good & it's not all creepy fan fiction like some would be led to believe. Good on them for having the guts to bring it over & maybe it might just send a message to Japanese devs that no matter how obscure your game is it may just have an audience outside Japan & be worth releasing in other territories. It's not going to be for everyone granted but hey..

Ultrasyd

Ultrasyd said:

Well, this is Japan. Not my cup of tea, but no reason to voer react on this indeed. They have this kind of things, BUT women there can wlak at night alone very safely, and dress as they want with short skirts, without being annoyed by stupid people like in our countries.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

This game is fast-paced action and REALLY fun!! I love the music & aerial combos you can do it the game. It feels so nice especially for getting some rage out. The whole clothes thing kinda reminds me of Sailor Moon but "more involved." Games like this are normal in Japan, so for this coming outside it is cool. Like Vhyper1985 said above: "It's hilarious that a game like this is on a Nintendo system." XD

gatorboi352

gatorboi352 said:

I love how everyone here is digusted with the sexuality aspect of the game, yet have no problem with the over the top violence and fighting aspects of the game.

Yes, let's all be disgusted with glorification of the human body and be very ok with physically harming one another for no reason.

Please watch the insults — TBD

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

@gatorboi352 Well violence has been in games since the dawn of gaming, it might of not have blood but look at Super Mario Bros. Mario squishes a mushroom creature to death!, violence is becoming more bloody....I just guess we are use to sexual things yet since games over here rarely has it!

__________________

Also another thing, dat teen rating on the NA cover :p

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

I think the advertisement is fair; even if the gameplay is great, people should know what they're getting into. Anyone who finds this offensive should NOT go to Japan. It's simply a different culture, "adult content" isn't taboo there. I personally would consider this, I love quirky Japanese games. It's not their equivalent of dirty magazines, it's more of a comedic appeal, and everyone has different tastes in comedy. This kind of game isn't for children, but seriously, it's not harming anyone. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Condemning others for enjoying it isn't right. Lastly, if it has good gameplay, there is nothing wrong for people enjoying it for the gameplay. Not everyone focuses as much on nearly naked animated women.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

@Nareva most cultures today find specialized content less offensive than cussing. Turn on television shows for teens or even preteens and you'll see quite a lot of that content but little to no foul language. It's how society has evolved.

CrimsonMoonMist

CrimsonMoonMist said:

@Koffeeking0407 I can't agree with that.
Look at Dead or Alive 5, it's a fast, fun and easily accessible fighter with enough depth to please the competitive FGC. But by your logic,
because it has bikini skins as DLC, that invalidates every good design choice. That just seems ignorant to be frank.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

..........Yeah if I wanna see anime bouncing boobs I have the Strike Witches on DVD. :3

SamirMalik

SamirMalik said:

@ShadJV then why was a actual Japanese PC rape sim banned in its own country? Japan is also somewhat uncomfortable with this as well, to an extent of course. (little boys "parts" aren't really looked at as taboo on some TV stations because they are "underdeveloped" so there's no censorship on little boys until at an adolescent age but, luckily, there is on the girls no matter what age they are.) But with Senran Kagura 3DS its less likely to even be banned anywhere in that nation but still to make eyebrows rise.

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

I like boobs and beat em' ups as much as the next guy but the gameplay looks kind of mediocre. Besides the fact that I can't get a physical copy here in the US. The anime is funny enough, albeit a lot of fan service going on. I'm alright with that though, show some maturity and not whine about it being sexist or disgusting people. It's another cultures form of entertainment, it's more of a form of comedy than it is sexual gratification. You don't have to watch it if you don't want it, but don't make people feel bad for enjoying it.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@ShadJV What about stuff like advanced variable geo ? This is a quote from Wikipedia. I have never played it but when you have no idea what games are about then you go down a list you find out about these sort of things :

"The winner of the tournament is awarded the title "Virgin Goddess", as well as a large cash prize of ten billion yen, and a house erected anywhere on the planet they should choose. However, when a given waitress is defeated, they are required to publicly strip themselves of their clothing (self-fondling and public masturbation may be forced upon the loser, and in the most extreme cases, the loser is raped/gang-raped, either in private or in front of an audience), in order to teach the so-called "true" shame of defeat. In spite of such humiliation, the tournaments often draw many competitors, each placing their pride and their dreams on the line as they battle for the top."

It is a fighting game like King of Fighters or Streetfighter.

Hong

Hong said:

It's marketed well for its intended audience.

If you are going to sell a game where sex is an intended feature, that's fine. It's only a problem for me when horrible depictions of women are in a game where it doesn't belong, which happens more than it should.

scrubbyscum999

scrubbyscum999 said:

@ShadJV Thank you.

@simonhwsn Because the moral police are coming to get you. If it's not their personal cup of tea be prepared to be imprisoned. #Nofunallowed

I played Senran Kagura Burst. It's a good game with solid gameplay and an actually decent story. If you like quirky games you should really pick this one up. Then again, I am always buy Atlus and Xseed stuff at this point.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Well if that's what it's about they might as well show it. They do show the gameplay too so it seems fair to me.

Mommar

Mommar said:

While it's not the most high brow comedy around the game handles all of that sexuality in a very tongue-in-cheek manner. It's pretty much making fun of the people who like that sort of thing. It's not just based around degrading women.

FX29

FX29 said:

Well at least it isn't afraid to show what the game is really about. Yeah the gameplay is important but the biggest catch here is obviously the chicks.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Psh. There's plenty of manga and anime like it if you're into that kinda thing. They don't even have actual nudity.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@SamirMalik That game is a bad example (I'm sure we mean the same one). It isn't about fanservice in any way, it clearly places sexual assault and even worse criminal acts as the main (and probably only) objective. I think there are rather strict laws in most countries that prohibit the detailed and realistic depiction of sexual crimes.

@unrandomsan Wow... if I didn't look it up myself, I wouldn't have believed you.
I gotta say the Variable Geo games seem to cross the line between fanservice and sexual crimes - at least with the rape part. The public self-fondling is... well, not my taste, but subject to taste. But as long as the gameplay was good, I could get over most of it (except for rape).

@Bass_X0 Manga and animé are a different case, since you're a viewer, not a 'participant'. Also, many of those keep losing quality (especially with character writing), so they simply use fanservice as a means of attracting enough people (High School DxD, Highschool of the Dead, Maken-ki, and Fairy Tail are a few notable examples).
But games can't just do that - they still need good gameplay to really succeed. Otherwise players would feel too bothered by the gameplay to consider the fanservice worth it.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

@gatorboi352 Agreed, people love them Call of Duty & Grand Theft Auto, but they see a game like this and are all like: THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
People and their double standards are hilarious.

I bought this game, not for the fan service(which does nothing for me because I'm gay + I don't get aroused by characters anyway).
I bought it mainly for the gameplay, because fighting games/beat 'em ups are my favorite genre of games and there's hardly anything worth it on the 3DS.

The combat isn't too deep, the story is very cliché and like most beat 'em ups, it's quite repetitive(but that comes with the territory though).

I basically beat the story in Frantic mode almost exclusively and hardly had any difficulty(especially when you unlock the unlimited combos in that mode). The only thing that posed a challenge were the 2 secret unlockable characters.

I still play the game & enjoy it, and I'm currently waiting for the sequel, Deep Crimson, to see if it ever gets released in the US.

Oh noes, boobs, hide yo children, hide yo wife.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

Not interested for various reasons, so I think I'll pass. Have fun those of you who do enjoy this sort of thing I guess.

mr_sean

mr_sean said:

From the review it sounds as though the combat and gameplay might be quite fun but I won't buy it because I find the heavily sexualized theme and frankly sexist presentation really cringe-worthy. Normally I'm always in favour of enjoying quality gameplay above everything else but it goes a bit beyond the pale for me. I know its got loads of appeal to many people but just disappointed that I'm not going to play a potentially enjoyable game.

Superstick

Superstick said:

I'm getting it because I think I'll like the gameplay. It looks awesome with all the combos and stuff. And It even-... ah who am I kidding. You all know why I'm getting this. XD

Senario

Senario said:

Dang, it is just a little fanservice. I would argue that it is a lot less harmful than something like glorifying war and violence. Because let's be honest, most guys look at stuff way worse than this if you consider sexual content or mildly sexual content "bad".

ejamer

ejamer said:

"Is the publisher right to use the game's overt sexuality to sell copies, or should it perhaps focus on the gameplay instead...?"

Seems to me that the publisher is being pretty up front about content in the game. Yes, it's a decent brawler by all accounts... but "breasts, bums, and bikinis" are one of the major selling points for the game.

This ad makes no effort to hide that fact, and why should it? Anything else would be like telling people that you read Playboy, but only for the insightful articles and humor. Why hide the truth?

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@EmpoleTRON Is it not okay to not be interested in the game now or something? >_<

Where did I imply anyone was weird? I basically said that this isn't my type of game and told those who do like it to have fun.

I could have just went onto some long 'sexism!' rant like others but I think the so called harm is a bit exaggerated myself, as I see nothing really wrong with it.

shaneoh

shaneoh said:

The way some people are reacting you'd think that these were actual people rather than light patterns

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

It's a little bit, it's a little bit...perverted. Sure though, if people want to buy it, let them.
@gatorboi352 - I think the blatant sexism and objectification solely of women might play a part in that.
@Nareva - Probably because one kind gets them advertising revenue. Nonetheless, I agree with you.

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

@Chriiis it's perfectly fine to dislike it as long as people do like you and don't say it is humanity's passport to hell or corruption whatever trash talking like some people did.

Galenmereth

Galenmereth said:

@Koffeeking0407 So this is worse than all the wars, the poverty, the treatment of elders, and everything else we're messing up in the world? This is what sends us to hell?

I'm glad I unsubscribed to religion when I was still a naive little child. Around five.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@GuSilverFlame humanity's passport to hell interests me I would like a game about that. (It can even start out like this one which would make it incredibly funny). Actually forget that it would end up like Legend of the Overfiend (The censored version of which I saw when I was about 13).

I would like a game that was something like Battlepope though.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Western people are interesting. A game where you can bang hookers, murder cops, and graphically torture a guy to death is regarded as one of the best games of 2013, and nobody bats an eye. A Japanese game with some fan-service comes out, though, and suddenly these same people are moral crusaders.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@SamirMalik Ah, okay. I didn't quite get that.
But honestly, they kinda bring this upon themselves. Censoring, discrimination based on social status, and ignorance towards psychological pressure and its inevitable consequences - japan, and especially the government lack understanding and tolerance for out-of-the-box ways of thinking and living.

Young people who live in japan nowadays are forced to take responsibility insanely early, and quite a lot of it as well. Many cannot bear the pressure of getting a good job, finding a life partner, and having children to success them. This fear of pressure drives them away from reality and into the world of animé and manga. The creators react to the increasing demand for things many readers think they'll never have in real life - a busy, entertaining, and also satisfying ordinary life. That's why harem comedy is so successful.

Hentai, on the other hand, is a stress vent for the (numerous) sexually frustrated, but their frustration sometimes turns them to some odd fetishes, which is the darker half of japan's sexualization problem.

All of this stacks to the problem, and only the government can stop it - if they were to realize in what a horrible mental state their youth is.

Yomerodes

Yomerodes said:

Dismissing this game because of the sexualized concept is just like dismissing other games because "they look childish"...if the game is good,it will be good.

Gamers can be divided between those that are able to play every kind of game as long as it good, and gamers that refuse to play "certain games" no matter the quality just because they dislike how they look or the characters involved.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Yomerodes This doesn't seem to be good enough. (If it was better than say Guardian Heroes I would play it regardless but I don't get the impression it is).

SamirMalik

SamirMalik said:

@Kaze_Memaryu I blame the Japanese saying for work that I heard in a cultural Comparative joke between the Middle East and Japan. It goes like this.

Japanese man: "If anybody can do it then I can do it. if anybody can not do it then I must do it!"
M.East man: "If anybody can do it, let them do it. And if anybody can not do it then...er...why should I do it again?"

Yomerodes

Yomerodes said:

@unrandomsam

Well, your mileage may vary...while I have not played Guardian Heroes, I found Senran Kagura from the single player standpoint around 10 times better than Code of Princess (likely the most similar 3DS game that you can find) in gameplay, replay value, controls, 3D effect, storyline, characters, graphics, music and fun factor.

The fact that both games spice things up with some fanservice (obviously more overdosed in SKB case) ends being irrelevant when I compare both games against its peers, and indeed, SKB is on my personal top10 of favorite 3DS games above the likes of Luigi's mansion DM or RE Revelations.

Vanya

Vanya said:

The Japanese have a wonderful lack of any shame when it comes to sexuality. Things that a lot of people in the US freak out about they have no problem with and that is a good thing.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

That was "a little bit?" Heh, I don't know about ya'll guys but that was more than a "little bit."

pariah164

pariah164 said:

People wouldn't get so offended if they didn't take it so seriously. It's just a fun game. I love playing it. The commercial is funny. Everyone should just lighten up.

element187

element187 said:

@Ralizah to be fair not all westerners like GTA... In fact I'm repulsed by it. But I can't wait to buy Senran Kagura Burst at the first price drop.

Tryken

Tryken said:

I plan to get this in a few paychecks. Everyone's trying to be a white knight about it. It's a solid game with fanservice. Big deal? The stereotype must be that only basement dwelling neckbears play this game, but it's a false generalizations. Anecdotal evidence only, neither my wife nor I mind playing this. Would I let my kid play it? Not a chance. But I also wouldn't let him watch Rated PG13/R movies or anything else with mature content. That doesn't make this game bad.

Magikarp3

Magikarp3 said:

Honestly, honestly, honestly -

I want this game. But the only thing holding me back is the stigma of being a person who plays this game. I'm not a creepy person (or at least I hope not) irl, and I don't think playing this game will make me moreso. I'd say that we shouldn't judge each other by their video game tastes, but that shouldn't even need to be necessary. I just wanna play games, man.

skywake

skywake said:

I'm not getting it, it seems very crass. However I'm not going to run around crying that the world is burning because it exists. It should exist and people should be able to choose to buy it. Nothing's stopping the people who don't like it from ignoring it entirely.

That said some of the defence squad here are a bit off the track I think. I get the whole "we freak out about sex but not violence" thing I really do. I don't think it applies here. Without the boobs this would be getting an age rating along the lines of Zelda. Going further this isn't like the Mass Effect Alien Lesbians thing. This is overtly objectifying women and schoolgirls no less. There is no reason why that has to be in there for the story or the gameplay.

Also I'd like to point out that people like me who aren't that happy about this are not necessarily ok with excessive violence either. However not being ok with it and avoiding games because of it doesn't necessarily mean that I support censorship. Quite the reverse, stuffs that pushes the boundaries allows us to discuss what the boundaries are. So it's helpful in that sense.

............ but I'm not buying it

shaneoh

shaneoh said:

@Jollykarp

We may have to get it from overseas, I don't know which australian retailers will be keeping stock of it. I haven't seen it listed on the EB or JB Hifi websites. But it doesn't matter what people think, if you want to get it, get it. I will be.

Magikarp3

Magikarp3 said:

@shaneoh Yeah, it doesn't seem like something the mainstream retailers will stock. I think maybe the more obscure ones like Gametraders will get a copy, or maybe off Ozgameshop. I'll be getting digital though, don't really want a box like that hanging around my house :S

shaneoh

shaneoh said:

@Jollykarp
Ooooh $43 at Ozgameshop. Thanks, +karma. I can see your point, people do tend to judge a game by its box art. Benefit of digital.

Bryon15

Bryon15 said:

I love this kind of stuff. But it could be because I'm 29 and never had a girlfriend before. :(

iKrimZen

iKrimZen said:

I honestly can't wait to get this game, I am a sucker for anime girls and love them with a passion.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Currently playing it ;) (received my preordered physical copy yesterday).

It's a bit sad that the racy content has overshadowed the gameplay in the way it has....it's a really fun brawler with a silly, amusing storyline and crazy 1000+ hit combos that are surprisingly easy to pull off.

Anybody I think who's buying the game for any other reason than the gameplay or a general interest in quirky/anime style titles really needs to get out of the house more, or at least spend some time looking at pictures of real people ;)

KarateKid1234

KarateKid1234 said:

Otaku Erection, coming through!
I LOVE Senran Kagura, and when I say I LOVE IT, I don't mean just for the Game Play, the Plot...I like it for..The PLOT. If you know what I mean....
Also, the thumbnail is a screenshot from the Anime. I like the scene(s) in the Anime where they slide through the Pipe like the Ghostbusters.

KarateKid1234

KarateKid1234 said:

@ToxieDogg Some people like 2D Girls more, like me...
That's why i'm alone; With my waifu!....
...i can't decide on one
it's why im gonna get off my behind and get a real wife

AndymanMessiah

AndymanMessiah said:

That's a funny trailer. Very self-aware. There's no doubt in my mind that Senran Kagura is first and foremost a fan-service game and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's what makes this IMO solid beat 'em up unique.

Squid

Squid said:

Well that trailer hurt my ears, what kind of European accent is it where the lady talks as if she has her tongue sticking out? She sounded Japanese, so Im confused. Not to mention its really uninformative and annoying... Anyways...

The game is a fun beat-em up but it has its flaws gameplay-wise, yes. And yeah there are boobs jigglin everywhere, but honestly the characters are a lot more than that and they all have unique personalities and are pretty lovable. Then again, a lot also tend to have common anime personality tropes, but I think they are still likable characters. Maybe it's just me but I don't even notice the boobs sometimes... And if the fan service isn't your thing, you can just hit the A button during the animations and skip it immediately. Honestly it's a fun that doesn't take itself seriously. Maybe some people think it should, but when it comes down to it, it's nothing more than most of the other crap that is accepted in society.

noctowl

noctowl said:

I wanna post this video on all the femnazi tumblr blogs, then sit back with some popcorn.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

Played the Japanese version of this and have it admit it's quite good. Yes it's ridiculously over the top but it has a surprising charm to it. If you go into this taking it 100% serious then you will be offended, take an open mind and you might enjoy it. Then again some people just like to be outraged (they're called Daily Mail readers).

Wish my 3DS wasn't broken and this was coming to Vita. Oh well.

Plutonian

Plutonian said:

I'm surprised by the amount of prudish people on this site. The game looks fun in an absurd over the top sort of way, and there is nothing inherently wrong with half naked digital females battling each other. It's annoying that sex is still a sensitive issue.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

I wonder... If a game like Ikaruga had an over the top art style like this (breastesses everywhere and anime girl spaceships!), would people decide not to play it? Because that'd be sad... If a game has great gameplay it is worth your time, regardless the style..

PunchaYoBuns

PunchaYoBuns said:

This kind of stuff has been popular in Japan for a long time. I'm excited and surprised that it's finally coming to the states and the UK though! I'm just now finding out about it and I'm in the US. I wish we could get a physical copy too though. Ours is only on the E-Shop.

Champollion

Champollion said:

@B3ND3R : I can think of so many reasons why it's not worth one's time. Even if the game's that good, that are countless other games that are also worth it and that one may try instead. Even if the game's that good, one doesn't have submit oneself to material that go against one's beliefs / ideology / opinion. Even if the game's that good, one may not want to support a firm that produces such material — and incite them to produce more. Etc. etc. Noone can play all games, anyway, so there's nothing "sad" in refusing to play one based on it's artstyle. I'd say forcing oneself to play it against one's best judgement would be sadder.

(I mean, just imagine, and replace this particular "art style" with whatever you find most offensive... Would you play a game that uses that as it's main selling point, even if the gameplay is good?)

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

@Champollion I play all games as long as the core gameplay is fun. My point was that even if a HUGE awesome gem such as Ikaruga had girls all over it, I'd still play it regardless because the game is darn good.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@mr570 Aye, but sadly it's not the same game and the Vita one doesn't look as good.

@Champollion If you're shortsighted enough to not warrant trying a game on its own merit then it's your loss. "I can think of so many reasons why it's not worth one's time. Even if the game's that good"? Sorry, you just sound like you're looking for excuses. If a game is good it's good. You can NOT judge it until you try it.

Champollion

Champollion said:

@rastamadeus @ B3ND3R: "You can NOT judge it until you try it.": of course I can. I don't see why not. It's not just a case of "you don't judge a book by it's cover". I can get a precise enough idea of the contents to make an informed opinion without playing it myself. I can understand why someone would like to play it regardless of its theme, I can understand that some would play it because of it, Please understand that some would not play it for the same reason. It's a perfectly valid argument as far as I'm concerned, not just an "excuse" (Why would anyone need an excuse not to play a game anyway?).

This kind of issue has been debated over and over about other media — books in particular, I have Louis-Ferdinand Céline in mind. Some games, books, movies can be "HUGE awesome gems" as you call them, from a certain point of view (gameplay, writing style, screenplay, acting or direction) and have contents that offend some people or make them feel uncomfortable (nudity, racism, violence, gore, whatever). By chosing not to see / read / watch, those people may lose on the good parts, that's true, but from their point of view they would lose more by actually playing / readin / watching. And that's not "dumb and immature" as someone put it. Quite the opposite, in my opinion.