Nintendo Download: 28th November (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Mario's 3D adventure arrives, 3D SEGA Classics and a lot more

It's Monday, which means that the European Nintendo Download will give us a pleasing start to the week. On the way, most notably, is Mario's critically acclaimed 3D début on the Wii U, while the 3D classics from SEGA finally arrive in the West for the first time; in addition we also have Virtual Console offerings, lots on the 3DS eShop and the return of WiiWare. Let's get on with it.

Wii U Retail Download

Super Mario 3D World (Nintendo, €59.99 / £49.99) — With each passing reveal and trailer in recent weeks the hype has increased for this latest 3D Mario title; it's bursting with creative level design, new power-ups, fun mechanics and the best multiplayer yet seen in a Mario platformer. It's been critically acclaimed and could be the definitive Wii U title of 2013 — we awarded 10/10 in our Super Mario 3D World review. Available from 29th November.

Wii U Virtual Console

Uncharted Waters: New Horizons (Tecmo Koei Games, €7.99 / £5.49) — This title blends RPG elements with intricate strategy and does so with great skill. It has a solid storyline and micromanagement for days, earning plenty of praise in our Uncharted Waters: New Horizons review. This is the US version of the game.

3DS eShop

3D Super Hang-On (SEGA, €4.99 / £4.49) — SEGA's 3D series of classic games finally kicks off, and this bike racing title may be well known to early Mega Drive adopters in Europe; this also featured on a 'Mega' compilation cartridge. This promises some classic racing action, and we'll see how it revs up — alongside that 3D effect — in our upcoming review.

3D Space Harrier (SEGA, €4.99 / £4.49) — This third-person on-rails shooter was an arcade classic that appeared on many consoles originally, blending intense action with some lovely sprite work. This certainly has the potential to look terrific in 3D, yet we'll see whether it lives up to rose-tinted reminiscences in our review, soon.

Angry Bunnies (Cypronia, €6.49 / £5.99) — This title draws many ideas from the hugely successful and iconic Angry Birds, throwing in 150 levels for gamers to take on. We weren't fans, however, criticising its level of quality and awarding just 2/10 in our Angry Bunnies review.

World Conqueror 3D (CIRCLE Entertainment, €4.99 / £4.29) — This is an in-depth strategy title set during World War 2, which can roughly be equated to a new version of Risk. We were critical in our World Conqueror 3D review, however, due to its complex and tough to decipher interface, plodding progress and long wait times.

Mystery Murders: The Sleeping Palace (Microvalue, €4.99 / £4.49) — This one joins the range of hidden-object games available on the 3DS eShop, though does add a light element of storytelling and puzzle solving into the mix. It's not memorable but is, nevertheless, a reasonable effort; we awarded 6/10 in our Mystery Murders: The Sleeping Palace review.

3DS Virtual Console

Crash'n The Boys Street Challenge (Arcsystem Works, €3.99 / £3.59) — This is actually the first time this game has had the Virtual Console treatment in Europe, and could turn heads with its peculiar premise. It takes sporting events and adds a "street" twist for the competing teams, which seems to be that they fight a lot. We'll take another look, but we were left underwhelmed in our Wii Virtual Console Crash'n The Boys Street Challenge review.

3DS Retail Download

One Piece Romance Dawn (Namco Bandai Games, €34.99 / £28.49)

Doodle Jump Adventures (Avanquest, €24.99 / £19.99) — This is a thoroughly playable version of the popular mobile game, even if the pricing and retail release is questionable; check out our Doodle Jump Adventures review for the lowdown.

Power Rangers Megaforce (Namco Bandai Games, €34.99 / £28.49) — This game is absolute tosh, read our review to find out why.

My Baby Pet Hotel 3D (Treva Entertainment, €29.99 / £24.99) — This was released as a download-only game in North America, and the tagline for our review sums it up: "a pile of shih tzu".

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

3D Game Collection (Joindots, €5.99 / £5.99 until 8th December, was €13.99 / £11.99)

Funfair Party Games (Joindots, €9.99 / £8.99 until 8th December, was €19.99 / £17.99)

Murder on the Titanic (Joindots, €6.99 / £7.49 until 8th December, was €14.99 / £14.99)

Gardenscapes (Joindots, €6.99 / £7.49 until 8th December, was €14.99 / £14.99)

Heavy Fire: Black Arms 3D (Teyon, €3.99 / £3.59 until 12th December, was €4.99 / £4.49)

Darts Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games, €1.49 / £1.34 until 2nd January, was €2.99 / £2.69)

WiiWare

Deer Drive Legends (Maximum Games, 500 Nintendo Points) — WiiWare makes its triumphant return with this new release of a shooter where, unsurprisingly, you shoot deer. We're dusting off our Wii Shop account to bring you a review.

Plenty of options for European gamers this week. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (209 votes)

Super Mario 3D World (Wii U retail download)

33%

Uncharted Waters: New Horizons (Wii U Virtual Console)

3D Super Hang-On (3DS eShop)

3D Space Harrier (3DS eShop)

11%

Angry Bunnies (3DS eShop)

World Conqueror 3D (3DS eShop)

Mystery Murders: The Sleeping Palace (3DS eShop)

Crash'n The Boys Street Challenge (3DS Virtual Console)

One Piece Romance Dawn (3DS retail download)

Doodle Jump Adventures (3DS retail download)

Power Rangers Megaforce (3DS retail download)

My Baby Pet Hotel 3D (3DS retail download)

3D Game Collection (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Funfair Party Games (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Murder on the Titanic (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Gardenscapes (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Heavy Fire: Black Arms 3D (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Darts Up 3D (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Deer Drive Legends (WiiWare)

Nothing for me this week

42%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Jese_1

Jese_1 said:

Nothing on this list appeals to me, and I'm getting a physical copy of Mario.

Jese_1

Jese_1 said:

@ThomasBW84 I've never played any of the original versions, so I'm gonna hold out for a review and save the Sega 3D games for when there's a bit of a lull in my gaming agenda :)

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

The quantity of shovelware that it's being release on the 3DS eShop is getting to my nerves. It's not only that it makes it harder to look for games but that it is turning in to a new DS or Wii. Freakin' shovelware and careless parents...

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

What I really want is Afterburner 2 or newer stuff. (At least Manx TT Super Bike type quality if it is a pure racing game).

BenAV

BenAV said:

Quite a few titles, but nothing that sounds too great so I'll pass this week.
Will pick up my physical copy of Mario when it releases here on Saturday.

MAB

MAB said:

Screw Mario... Alright spidey, time to evict you out of my 3DS so I can get me some of that awesome SEGA 3D classic action ;)

Untitled

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

Again... DATA corrupted by the anti-download brigade. Get rid of the "nothing for me" vote, please! ^_^

I've never played the Wii U VC game... sounds interesting!

I wonder if Edge will come to Aus this week...

Peach64

Peach64 said:

3D Space Harrier for me. Every week I cringe at those eShop prices. £50 for digital Mario or £35 physical.

Zael

Zael said:

I want to say that uncharted waters isn't a good choice for virtual console, there are better rpg like Card Master never released in europe, and from HAL!! SO I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHO IS CHOOISING those games.
&%$&%$/&$$%$%$$£££$

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

YAHOO!!!!! It'sa me, MARIO!!! :D I've been waiting for this since the day I 100% Super Mario Galaxy 2! :D I'm getting it day-1, hour-1, minute-1 as a download :D Can't wait! May get some of SEGA's 3D Classics one day, eventually. May also get Uncharted Waters eventually one day.

edhe

edhe said:

And boy, do I look forward to the immature whining on Miiverse about how nintendo doesn't release the same tired crap like city connection and kirby on the VC.

And all the hilarious Uncharted jokes...

Vallu

Vallu said:

Is SM3DW coming at thursday-friday midnight or later at friday like Wii Fit U?

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Mario download. Buying code from Game for £42.99, no £49.99 for me and still downloading it at midnight.
AND get game reward points worth over £1 and nearly enough Nintendo network points for £5
Actual cost of downloading Mario? £37

edhe

edhe said:

@Zael
I'm not one to tell people what they should like, but the impression I got from people on Miiverse who were complaining about the choice was that they never even tried the game, let alone heard of it. But it wasn't Mario 3 or Mega Man X, and therefore it was automatically a stupid game.

Have you tried Uncharted Waters? It's really quite good.

Personally, I haven't heard of this Card game you mention, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone the chance to download it.

Especially now I have my Uncharted Waters ;)

luke795

luke795 said:

Why does Europe get to know what games come out in advance and not North America?

LAA

LAA said:

£49.99... jeez... If it wasnt bad enough with purchases not being tied to accounts, we get prices like these on top.
Planned on getting physical anyway, but could have been persuaded if the price was right.

DarkAngel_17

DarkAngel_17 said:

I'm still very much busy with epic mickey 2 and batman arkham origins. Though I'm only interested in physical copies (most often cheaper and i love to hold game in my arms)

Beechbone

Beechbone said:

Mario on disc. Nintendo, I can get it 10 pounds cheaper if buying physical copy AND it's not forever and ever locked to my console. I really don't see reasoning behind the pricing on eShop.

Zael

Zael said:

@edhe
I don't want to be polemic but there are games like fire emblem, secret of mana 2, card master, tales of phantasya, star ocean, lufia, ys 4 and 5, popful mail,bahamut lagoon never released in europe for snes or wii vc and uncharted waters is a game with many problems (i tried it, i'm not saying it is stupid, i say it isn't a good choice for wii u)
There are games with priority, about megaman x it is a great game so no one can be disappointed from its release, about uncharted water how many people will download it, let us be realistic
I don't like how they are managing the wii u vc, also the prices

hammish0531

hammish0531 said:

europe gets to know what crappy games are for download before hand and us americans get surprised about the lack of any good games..got mario at midnight launch i know imma get yelled at it was lackluster at best way over hyped

Zael

Zael said:

I don't understand why hal doesn't produce a sequel to cardmaster instead of kirby

MAB

MAB said:

@hammish0531 Yeah I know what you mean mate, 10/10 for ALBW & SM3DW especially after all those news articles about rehashes and how Ninty need new franchises... No wonder they keep shoving this stuff down our throats 10 times per year ;)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

@Zael Uncharted Waters is published by Tecmo Koei. Arcana (Card Master) is publshed by Hal. Tecmo Koei will only submit their own games for to Nintendo for release on Virtual Console. If Hal chooses not to submit Arcana then Nintendo is not able to release Arcana.

Most of those games were not translated into english originally. They aren't going to translate them now but they are not playable without a translation. So they aren't getting released no matter how good they are.

Kirby sells. Card Master wouldn't. Its that simple.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Planning to buy Mario digitally, but I'm afraid it will have to wait a bit (hopefully not too long, that game is a must have!).

Damn curious also about Romance Dawn... If it is a good game then it would be a pleasure to revisit how the legend began :)

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

@FineLerv

It's not that I'm/We're anti-download, it's just that we all probably want (cheaper) physical copies of SM3DW, so there's no point in choosing the digital vote! ;-)

MAB

MAB said:

SM3DW isn't very graphics intensive so it would run just fine off the disc drive anyway... What's worth noting is you can then sell it after you finish it in a day or two ;)

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

@ThomasBW84 The word Discounts is missing from the heading where your 3DS E-shop Discount's should be I think. I may be wrong, it happens frequently to me.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@Zael Uncharted Waters: New Horizons is one of my favourite pirate games of all time (probably second to the various Sid Meier's Pirates! games) and the trading and exploration parts add greatly to the fun. It's my favourite Koei game, even more than the Dynasty Warrior series.
There is also a decent free to play MMO based on it too.
This is as exciting as Mario 3D World for me.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@edhe Have you tried the free to play Uncharted MMO? It's no Uncharted Waters 2 and only a MMO, but it's still good.

hammish0531

hammish0531 said:

sm3dw isnt bad but isnt a true 3d mario they should of done like they did with super mario 64 they reinvented the mario franchise...they had a perfect shot to do it again for the hd era not remake 64 but make something new and fresh...3d world should of been named new super mario 3D world u it resembles the new super mario series more than 3d mario..thats why i called it lackluster the game is a great 2.5d mario just not a good 3d mario

SuperMalleo

SuperMalleo said:

The US will have to wait till next year for Crash N' The Boys, just like how it took so many months for us to get River City Ransom. I hate NoA.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

@ledreppe "It's not that I'm/We're anti-download, it's just that we all probably want (cheaper) physical copies of SM3DW, so there's no point in choosing the digital vote! "

Oh I totally understand that! But, that's actually why I want the vote removed. Basically people have legitimate reasons for not wanting to get the digital version of retail games; but the vote distorts the data so that we can't see at a glance the actual percentage of people buying each game. Better yet, just make the vote targeted at everyone, digital or otherwise. That way we can all just vote Mario, whichever format we buy it on!

edhe

edhe said:

@Zael That's the reality of the VC nowadays. Namco (Tales) or Square-Enix (Star Ocean/SoM II) couldn't give two turds about releasing games on the WiiU, let alone VC games.

I personally own Star Ocean on the PSP, and until recently, Tales of Phantasia on the GBA (a bit more expensive, that one). While I welcome new VC games, I think the only thing we can really look forward to is (more) N64 games and Gamecube games.

But I'm glad you're at least familiar with the game.

@MadAdam81 I'd heard about it. As far as I was aware, it was one of those games they released for the Koreans. I never really looked in to it, but I was a bit worried it was excessively pay to win (or pay to play for more than 5 minutes).

Eisenbolan

Eisenbolan said:

Why not put original Uncharted Waters on the 3DS? Also L'Empereur a good Koei NES game along with Romance of the 3 Kingdoms 2.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Let's hope Crash 'N Boys comes to NA this week for the 3DS VC as well. Or I'd gladly take Blaster Master.

123akis

123akis said:

wheres the 3ds Youtube app? Nintendo said it's coming coming this month! ughh they delay everything!

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

3D World - physical
Uncharted Waters - instant buy
And maybe Segas 3D classics games.

Thats about it this week :)
Oh, and Romance Dawn physical, first for my girlfriend as a gift and if its good, i get if later for myself with a big maybe at the end,

123akis

123akis said:

@LAA you can buy a download code from GAME, they sell download codes for the same price as they sell the physical copies

kaptenSwe

kaptenSwe said:

wheres youtube!?!??!? It should be released before December, that's on Sunday!!!
Come on Nintendo =/ Someone who now something about this?

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@DarkCoolEdge Don't worry about the shovelware. So long as there is a dedicated indie section on the eShop with the good indie games (VVVVVV, Steamworld Dig, Cave Story, etc), it won't matter how much shovelware is added. Plus, there are some major indies coming soon to the 3DS eShop: Grinsia, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Retro City Rampage, Shovel Knight, etc.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

Not sure why Nintendo is ripping you Europeans off with the eShop prices. Here in North America, all the retail games are the same price on the eShop as they are in the store (the MSRP).

Zael

Zael said:

@Bass_X0
hal is second party, Iwata was president, nintendo can bring that game as if it was first party

the fact kirby sells more is still to demonstrate, I speak about a sequel for card master, no one can say if it would sell more, but, even if kirby sells more, I think that we need more variety in games.
They have produced many kirbys and they are very similar in terms of gameplay
I understand that they want be sure to sell games, but we can't go on only with mario, kirby etc.
Hal continues to produce kirby but card master was a great game for the time, today, with some changement and graphic improvements, with medium investments (less than for kirby) they could produce a great game.
I agree about translations, but card master has been translated. The other games are only in japanese but, considering they ask about 10 euro $ for every snes vc game, and that there are brand new games for 10, they could call a translater and translate.

Aaronzord

Aaronzord said:

Downloading Crash 'n The Boys, pretty much just because Scott Pilgrim referenced it.

Also, physical copies of One Piece and Mario.

fairybats

fairybats said:

I already own Uncharted Waters on Wii VC, and there's no real point in save states in that game, so I'll be skipping. And I'm with the others, physical copy of Mario all the way! It's the reason I bought a Wii U in the first place!

Blacksenate

Blacksenate said:

Why do tha download full games always cost more than the boxed version? Mario 3d is 39.99 in the shops but 49.99 to download???
This is why it still doesn't pay to go fully digital

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

This is the 4th new VC game (not available on Wii) in EU.

1. Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire (SNES)
2. EarthBound (SNES)
3. Golf (NES)
4. Uncharted Waters: New Horizons (SNES)

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

@IceClimbers It is not a problem for me, I check internet regularly, but for the uninformed/clueless people that has the handheld. Many end up buying crap that doesn't deserve the money and on top of that they might end up skipping the eShop altogether because of those lousy experiences. Plus, you (as Nintendo) don't want to have another hardware known for its shovelware.

Nomad

Nomad said:

SEGA 3D classics for me. As for Mario, I'll get that on disc thanks.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

@ThomasBW84 Haha, in all fairness I missed the North America, but caught the discounts, maybe we were all almost half asleep earlier, lol.

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

Kind of surprised at YouTube's absence (I usually take the EU updates as a guess at what the NA update might have). All the same, that's not to say it still won't come by the end of the month. Nintendo has occasionally dropped eShop software on odd days (ie: neither Monday nor Thursday) without warning. All in all, it'll get here when it's ready. Besides, I imagine most (if not all of you) here already have a mobile device capable of watching YouTube anyway (iPod Touch, in my case), so waiting a little longer without YouTube on ANOTHER device isn't going to hurt anyone.

elstif

elstif said:

I´ll get Mario on disc.
Why aren´t they releasing a good bunch of VC games for the Wii U
The emulation is there already, is it that hard to get out all the good old NES and SNES games?
Crash 'n the Boys???!!!! seriuosly? when are we going to get Mario 3 or Super Mario Kart or Zelda LTTP

supocarta

supocarta said:

At last sega 3D classics they look and play excellently.guy on youtube up loads them in 3d so you can view them in 3d if you got 3d tv.

Dave24

Dave24 said:

Yay, got 3D World today! Thank God, because I couldn't wait to play it :)

Johnny12

Johnny12 said:

Youtube in the Uk came out on the 30th November(Which nintendo lied saying it was released on the 29th)