Nintendo Download: 23rd May (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It's Kirby week, with some portable fun and reduced Denpa Men joining in

So it's Nintendo Download time once again, North America, and what this week lacks in volume it makes up for with some quality and a lot of Kirby. Wii and DSi miss out, so you'll have to be rocking Nintendo's current hardware to enjoy some downloadable goodies. All of the details, including the chance to spend a bit of money and get a free game for your trouble, are below.

Wii U Virtual Console

Kirby's Dream Course (Nintendo, $7.99) — It's golf, Kirby style, with the pink one being a ball that can take out enemies and absorb abilities en-route to the cup. The crazy golf approach is also fun with a friend in multiplayer, and we felt the whole experience was worth recommending in our Wii Virtual Console Kirby's Dream Course review. We'll take to the course again for a fresh look.

Kirby Super Star (Nintendo, $7.99) — Kirby's big Dream Land adventure on the Super NES, this is typical of the fun, imaginative platforming that the franchise offers. This does shake it up with a number of smaller games, as opposed to one long adventure, but the top-notch design, tight controls and colourful visuals make it work. We'll be reviewing on Wii U soon, but in the meantime you can check out our Wii Virtual Console Kirby Super Star review.

Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Nintendo, $7.99) — Following on the Dream Land franchise in the 16-bit era, this entry adopted a crayon-drawing visual style and, generally, served up more conventional Kirby platforming fare than Kirby Super Star. For our money, however, the reduced pace and lack of challenge are downsides to the experience, making it ideal for platforming newcomers but potentially disappointing for Kirby fans. We'll be checking it out again for this fresh release, and until then you can learn more in our Wii Virtual Console Kirby's Dream Land 3 review

Limited Time Wii U Virtual Console Promotion

Buy two of this week's Kirby VC titles on the Wii U eShop and get the third for free. Applies to Kirby's Dream Land 3, Kirby Super Star and Kirby's Dream Course; offer ends on 30th May.

3DS eShop

Groove Heaven (Teyon, $3.99) — The 3DS has fared well with music rhythm games, and now Teyon steps into the fray. The story has a character called Rhymi delivering a letter to an angel atop a tower, but ultimately this is likely to be all about completing plenty of rhythm challenges to progress. We'll find our groove to bring you a review, soon.

3DS Retail Downloads

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (Nintendo, $39.99) — The Wii original may only be a few years old, but this port is a natural fit to make the most of the 3DS and its stereoscopic screen. While it doesn't quite match the buttery smoothness of the Wii original, this is a strong conversion of a truly exceptional platformer, so should be a serious candidate for your cash. If you want the full lowdown check out our Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D review

Naruto: Powerful Shippuden (Namco Bandai, $TBC) — Arriving on the eShop two months after hitting retail stores, this is the most recent handheld title for the popular franchise. A rather simple action brawler, its strong suit is the humour it shows, which combines well with cartoonish visuals; the gameplay doesn't live up to its style unfortunately. Not necessarily a bad game, but it only earned a modest recommendation in our Naruto: Powerful Shippuden review.

3DS eShop Temporary Discount

The Denpa Men: They Came by Wave (Genius Sonority, $7.99 until 30th May, normally $9.99)

So there you have it, perhaps a case of quality over quantity this time around. Let us know what you're planning to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (286 votes)

Kirby's Dream Course (Wii U Virtual Console)

Kirby Super Star (Wii U Virtual Console)

Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Wii U Virtual Console)

All three Kirby games for the Wii U VC promotion

13%

Groove Heaven (3DS eShop)

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS retail download)

Naruto: Powerful Shippuden (3DS retail download)

The Denpa Men: They Came by Wave (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Nothing for me this week

57%

Please login to vote in this poll.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Was really hoping the European Kirby discount would apply here. :
Guess I'll just pass up this week's offerings then.

bonham2

bonham2 said:

Question about the promotion - If I spend $1.50 to upgrade one of them, buy another, will I still get the 3rd for free? Basically that would make 2 of them $4 each, in which case I'm all in.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

I still have to do the transfer but I have all those Kirby games on my wii vc.

sinsalaca

sinsalaca said:

Will think about Groove Heaven, but probably wait til the review comes out. Picking up a physical copy of DK 3D tomorrow. May have to pick up a Kirby for my boys to play.

DrKarl

DrKarl said:

I wonder if the buy 2 get 1 free offer works when upgrading Wii --> Wii U? I won't be finding out though, since I already have Super Star and Dream Land 3 on the Wii Dream Collection disc.

Just an upgrade of Dream Course for me this week, and maybe Denpa Men.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

@ScreamoPichu I think that was for EU only I would of wanted to try the Project X Zone demo too. :( I will be picking up the retail Version of Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D tomorrow. :)

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I am still playing Super Metroid so that should keep me busy for a bit longer.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@ScreamoPichu The Project X Zone demo is in Europe, not list in the NA info in the email or the press site. Unless it's confirmed separately, looks like it's not coming Stateside yet.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I'll pick DKC - 3DS up maybe a few months from now but not right now. :)

This week look's really blehh.. besides from DK already have the wii version might pick up the DKC - 3DS like I said a few months from now this is just depressing this week's line up for games though. Not counting this coming week neither not into zelda or denpa men so this week & next week are a pass intil animal crossing new leaf - 3ds comes out.

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Nardar

Nardar said:

Can't wait for next week though! Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons and Ages come out next week on 3DS!

Kevin

Kevin said:

I am so taking advantage of the limited promo. Never played Dream Course and will only have to pay $3.00 for the other two Kirby games. Sweet!

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

UGH I'm very disappointed that Europe gets a half price discount on two titles if you have Kirby's Adventure(Which was pretty much free) and America has a 3rd title given away for free if you buy two. I'm mad partially because two of the titles are for the Kirby Collection which I have yet to get. I was looking forward to playing Superstar or at least Dream Course but I'll have to wait on it for now. Looks like I already have enough games as it is.

SuperSah

SuperSah said:

Project x Zone's demo is for us Europeans early. ;)

Played the game, and let me tell you, it's absolutely fantastic.

NINTENBOY

NINTENBOY said:

Come on, come on, come on, speed it up with the Wii U Eshop Nintendo. Also I'd reather get the 20th anniversary Kirby CD on Wii when I'm ready instead of these games on the Eshop but I guess it's still nice.

AzureShadow

AzureShadow said:

@SuperSah - Ah that sucks I saw it and was looking forward to downloading it especially after pre-ordering it two days ago.

Anyway guess I'll go for one of the Kirby games perhaps.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@ThomasBW84 I just realized... I think you were thinking about European numbers at first! Ah well, I wish it was that price though (but in $), however it's not. :(

PanbanRichard

PanbanRichard said:

Well, guess it's time for me to system transfer my VC games now. All those delicious Kirby games for $4.50 for me. :)

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

Getting 5 of 6* this week.

*Already had The Denpa Men: They Came by Wave back in September ! Naruto is the game I'm not getting.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Good to see the 2 different types of special promos - BTGO on Kirby and the Denpa Men discount - in the same week.

I know Nintendo has gotten better about this lately but having owned a Wii for 6 years the discounts were very few and far between. Considering Nintendo owns most of those VC titles they've had ample opportunity to offer packaged discounts. And really, $8 for those Kirby games, how old are they now? Kirby golf should be free to begin with.

But still, going forward, I see many more 3DS and WiiU purchases than we had on Wii, and we had more than a few of those.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I read that the buy two get one deal in Japan worked even if they were upgrades...so it SHOULD be a mere $3 for all three for me. :D

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Nothing for me this week, though I will be picking up Oracle of Ages next week.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

Nothing for me this week. Next week will be pretty interesting with the release of Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages.

bahooney

bahooney said:

so much hate in the comments section... Nintendo's supporting the Wii U like a champ! Jeeze... Nintendo fans are insatiable...

SonataAndante

SonataAndante said:

I'm really liking the frequent VC related promotions they're doing, even if I have no plans to buy any of them yet. Kirby week is pretty nice but I bought Kirby's Dream Collection last fall so I have no reason to pick up these (can't say I'm $8 worth of interested in Dream Course). Great for new fans though, especially since Adventure being 30 cents might have brought them in.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

3 VC games for the second week in a row. Good job, Nintendo.

Still, no 3DS VC is dissapointing. We're so far behind Japan here for seemingly no reason.

Kaboom

Kaboom said:

Niente for me this time around. Holding out for Zelda next week. If Kirby's Dream Land 2 were coming out today or something, then I may have squeezed a few bucks out of my reserve...

Wanderhope

Wanderhope said:

Kirby is quickly becoming my favorite franchise so it looks like I may be a shade poorer this week...

Someone let us know if the buy 2 get 1 free deal still works if you get a transfer discount on one or two of the titles!

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

If I didn't already have my Nintendo card queued for the Zelda: Oracle games due next week, I might've considered Denpa Men. My girlfriend really liked the demo.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

@SkywardLink98 With the imminent release of the game I've been expecting the most on the console (look left for a hint), I beg to differ. BIG time.
I'm going for a physical copy, though.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Nothing this week, i don´t want to transfer until a good update arrives to play Wii and forget the antique Wii mode. (to play like the 3ds plays all DSi and DS games)

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I'm gonna update Dream Land 3 for $1.50, then get Super Star most likely. I want DKCR 3D, but I already have it for Wii...

RR529

RR529 said:

Nothing for me this week (I still have to get THE STARSHIP DAMREY, and the Zelda Oracle games hit next week, so I'm good though).

Still, I wouldn't say this is a bad week for 3DS. Denpa Men (one of the eShop's best offerings) is on discount, and I don't think any of us have the right to disregard Groove Heaven at this point (sure, it's a game I'm not personally interested in, but it is still just as likely to be good, as it is to be bad, and anyone should know that even if there's only one game in an update, if it's a good game, that makes it a good week by default).

Bucho

Bucho said:

Remember that ancient time when they used to give us demos on the 3DS eshop? i would love to try DKCR3D before i buy it.

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

I'm not trying to sound as a smartdonkey or anything but wouldn't it be better to just get kirby's dream collection for wii? just sayin'....

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

And my money continues to sit in the eshop.... Oh well, back to "don't starve" for me. :-)

miiandmario

miiandmario said:

I was hoping for a promotion similar to the SMB2 thing where if you bought kirbys adventure you got one of the snes at a discount. Other than that nothing too exciting.

Silvervisiona

Silvervisiona said:

I'll download Kirby Anniversary Edition from ebay.com. That should have been a survey option IMHO.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

I just upgraded 2 Kirby games I had gotten before on Wii to Wii U VC. It now shows that I can get Kirby's Dream Course for free. I'm so happy I waited on getting that one. Not bad getting all three games on Wii U VC for $3 bucks, now I can try the one I didn't own out. :)

meltendo

meltendo said:

Nintendo 3DS s-shop conspiracy theory: maybe when Nintendo releases one of their first-party titles, they withhold other game releases at the time to cut down the competition in new releases? It really sucks seeing such a paltry stream of releases when Nintendo has THOUSANDS of titles to pull from.

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

Next Week I'm getting The Denpa Men 2: Beyond the Waves, I don't know why many people aren't hyped for it because I certainly am! I mean, doesn't anyone know that some of the devs who worked on some of the original Dragon Quest SNES games are in charge of this series? That's one reason to be excited and you know they compared the sequel to being like Dragon Quest II, in which they mean the sequel brings a whole lot new features and mechanics to the table. Oh well, at least I'm excited for the next denpa men game....

Dauntless

Dauntless said:

I can confirm that the deal does work for upgrade purchases. I upgraded 2 of the 3 games and got the 3rd for free. I'm glad I'm in no rush to upgrade my vc games. Maybe there will be deals for other games I have previously purchased.

Austroid

Austroid said:

Looks like nothing for me.

Now every week I'll be thinking "oh this time they'll add some GG tiles!"

dadajo

dadajo said:

I already have the kirby anniversary collection, and I'm not interested in dream course. Also, I'm not interested in anything else this week, but the oracle zelda games are coming out next week! :D

fregrold

fregrold said:

there's also a zen pinball 2 update, that finally fixes the networking issue.

sweetiepiejonus

sweetiepiejonus said:

@FOURSIDE_BOY

Well everyone should get the Kirby Collection anyway but Dream Course isn't included. I don't have any complaints but some people complain about the emulation and how you have to save in Collection. Besides in my opinion it's a bonus to play the games on the GamePad in my opinion.

Windy

Windy said:

slow week. next week is going to be the big bomber with the DenpaMen 2 and the Zelda Oracles my Wallet is already Crying "Blue moon". What we need is a world of Warcraft Mini MMORP or something similar to really show us what this thing can do. I just dont think there are any companies or devs willing to take on that task. A Nintendo MMORPG and jaw would hit the floor. Zenonia's quest engine would be perfect for this

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I already had Super Star and Dream Land 3 on Wii VC, so Dream Course was a bonus. I don't particularly give two flips about a golf game, and Kirby's Avalanche would have been more interesting IMO, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth. $3 for 3 titles ain't half bad! Hopefully Nintendo can keep up 3+ VC titles per week like the glory days of Wii VC. As an added bonus, when you hit that boss you just can't beat, save states are your friend. B-)

Just one question: will N64 titles ever see the light of day?

Joygame51

Joygame51 said:

Ya know there are so many Dsi folks out there yet... and I think most of them are afraid(ashamed?) to say they do not own a 3DS. So they just don't post. I am a proud owner of a DSIXL and really can't afford a 3DS Yes, I'm an older gamer (retired!) Soooo I get a bit ticked when the dsi is left out of a download... Sure I know the Dsi is out of date. I get it. But we(OLDER GAMERS and OLDER GAME SYSTEMS) are not extinct YET. There is still lots of game play to be had on the "OLD" systems . Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. I'll shut up now and rock in my rockin' chair....wait.... I don't have a rocking chair!!!! I'm gonna go take my dog for a run and do some food shopping then play some games! BYE YA For now.

Joygame51

Joygame51 said:

Whoooo hoooooo, My Family actually got together (to shut me up, I think) and droped all the money down for a 3DSXL...for me!!! I can now 'ich and moan about 3DS stuff now instead of 'iching and moaning about the lack of good Dsiware....LOL