Nintendo Download: 28th June 2012 (North America)

Posted by James Newton

Monkeys, marvels and more

Some quality original content on 3DS and DSi reaches North America this week, with two free demos to pick up as well. Here's what's out this week.

Nintendo 3DS Download Software

Marvel Pinball 3D (Zen Studios, $7.99, 661 blocks) — Take four Marvel-themed tables for a spin in Zen Studios' follow-up to its very good Zen Pinball 3D. We're putting it through its paces and should have a review for you soon.

Bomb Monkey (Renegade Kid, $4.99, 68 blocks) — What do you get when you cross a monkey and a bomb? A baboom. Expect better gameplay than our jokes in this quirky little action puzzler. Read our Bomb Monkey first impressions while we work on our review.

3DS Demos

Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure (SEGA) — One of the most original titles to hit 3DS yet — though the title probably gives that away — try out SEGA's upcoming title and then read our Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure review for our verdict.

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (Square Enix) — OK, this actually hit during last week's Nintendo Direct conference, but it's worth reminding you that you can now try Square Enix's upcoming RPG for free.

3DS Weekend Sale

VVVVVV$4.99 — Get Nicalis' superb version of this mind-bending platform puzzler for $4.99 this weekend. Read our VVVVVV review if you're even slightly on the fence, which you shouldn't be by now.

DSiWare

Escape the Virus: Swarm Survival (Teyon, 200pts, 31 blocks) — Almost exactly like WiiWare game Viral Survival, in this game you have to collect DNA and avoid viruses. We'll have a review soon.

Flip the Core (Engine Software, 200pts, 73 blocks) — A DSiWare shooter with a retro tinge, this could be an intriguing title, and we'll have a full review soon.

Quite a bumper week this week. What will you be buying, if anything? Let us know on our Facebook poll.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Lucky!I wish we got Bomb Monkey too.
Oh well, at least we have Marvel Pinball so I can't complain too much I guess.

Also, that's a pretty good sale on VVVVVV.
Good chance for anyone to pick it up who doesn't have it yet.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

yay rhythm thief rhythm thief rhythm thief goes to sit by 3ds until 12 o clock so he can play a demo of the game the eshop said would be here february but decided to wait an extra 5 months to get here

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Yeah I've been putting on on getting vvvvvv as well. I guess its time to take the plunge! No more excuses!

stratocastx

stratocastx said:

where's the Heroes of Ruin demo that n-Space said this morning that we were getting today? great week though otherwise!

Yasume

Yasume said:

Great week for NA. I hope to see a price drop for vvvvvv in Europe soon too. €8,- is a bit too much imo.

stratocastx

stratocastx said:

sorry, my mistake - I saw the June 28th date in the snippet of the press release and thought it would be today. This is a great week regardless, I'm buying Marvel Pinball, Bomb Monkey, and getting the Rhythm Thief demo (already have KH demo and VVVVVV) :)

Samholy

Samholy said:

VVVVVV...but but...i bought it 2 weeks ago !!! oh well, it was worth all its pennies,quarters, and dollar bills.

that Flip the core game might be interesting, ill get it just for the retro style.

i got the kingdom demo,but didnt see the other demo,rythm thing. is it really available in NA ???

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Oh my.... I am so so happy we seem to be getting into a regular weekend sale routine. Hopefully it keeps up.
Now: Is there a reason I need the 3DS VVVVVV if I already have it on my PC? I vastly prefer playing games on my dedicated systems, and I wasn't going to double-dip on its original price, but for a fiver it might be worth getting it on a system I'd actually spend time with it on.
OR I'll put it towards pinball.
Either way: A good week.

Samholy

Samholy said:

@Phocks5
yeah, and at this time, its too late. i wont even download it and keep my heroes of ruin experience brand new when my pre-order arrives.

SteveW

SteveW said:

NEWS FLASH: Venus was in superior conjunction with Mars at 04:12 this morning, by which time both Jupiter and Saturn had become visible as they rose 2° apart. This unfortunately this voided the Wii-Ware approval process (step 727) which requires there to be a maximum of 1.9° separation, therefore Retro City Rampage will not be released this week and we suggest that you check back during the next alignment phase.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

Good week. Getting bomb monkey as I want to save some money for the VC blowout next month. Marvel pinball I will buy when it gets DLC.

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

Weird, why wouldn't they advertise price drops like this during the Direct last week? Seems like that would have been a nice little addition. Or is the price of VVVVVV even up to them? Either way, a great end of June for the 3DS. Now here comes July 2012, the greatest month the NA eShop has ever seen. Huzzah!

Torchwood

Torchwood said:

It's nice to see they can put price drops on third party software. I bought VVVVVV the day it hit America, but hopefully more people will download it now and experience its greatness. For me, I'll get Bomb Monkey and possibly Marvel Pinball. A very good week, well done NoA.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Already have Mario Land and VVVVVV. Waiting on Freakyforms and Mighty Switch Force.

Wish the Marvel Pinball had an X-Men table. Maybe in the eventual sequel?

ejamer

ejamer said:

Wow, great week! Quality games, great demos, and a sale to boot!

VVVVVV was slightly overpriced for me, wish I would've waited for the sale. (That said, it's totally worth $5 - even to a curmudgeon like me - so I recommend anyone who hasn't already go buy now.)

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

It looks like NA's discounts are going to be continuous and not just a one time thing like Europe. Hopefully the same is true for us soon - we already pay 30% more and cant buy stuff with Club Nintendo points. :(

rjejr

rjejr said:

Can't go wrong w/ demos and sales. It's like Nintendo is finally starting to get it 8-)

That KH demo was really good.

iphys

iphys said:

Wow, a pretty good week! Okay, I'm getting VVVVVV, and maybe Bomb Monkey depending on the reviews. Fortunately I just picked up 2 new eShop cards yesterday, so I'm ready for all these weekend sales.

Birdman

Birdman said:

Probably just gonna get the demo. I see nothing else warranting an immediate purchase from me.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Really? REALLY! I feel cheated on VVVVVV. A 3 Dollar Cut! Thats 1 cheap GB game [G&WG1, KI:OMAM] :(

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

The VC has been so strong lately that I guess in needed a week off today to rest.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

I'm getting Bomb Monkey, and rhythm thief demo...not sure about VVVVVV because I don't like really hard games.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

Well i originally bought VVVVVV at full price on the e'shop,but i don't care that it's price dropped now,the game deserved buying at full price.

As for the other stuff,i am interested in the Marvel pinball game,i haven't played pinball in years,so i'll pick it up if the review is good,i'll also be trying the Rhythm demo,even though i have never been interested in that series.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Too bad there's no Wii VC, but not a bad update this week. Gonna try out the demos and get VVVVVV eventually. I wait for the review on Marvel Pinball. I hear it's a pretty good game on other systems.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

OOOOOoooo VVVVVV sale think i might have to pick that up now, It was way too expensive before, but that is more of a reasonable price!

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

no love for the VC there are still lots of games I would like to play.... I guess I'm part of the minority of Wii only owners :(

Thank God for Xenoblade!!

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

SWEET! We get Rhythm Theif Demo this week and Heroes of Ruin Demo next week! YAY!!

Might have to get VVVVVV...and maybe Flip the Core...

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

I can honestly say VVVVVV is the best game at the eShop, and the price is now at a very great price.

Ren

Ren said:

Sale?! No way! has this happened before?! is no one surprised by this? This is what should have happened ages ago! now? yikes, I'm glad but talk about too little too late. I already threw in the towel and got an xbox and now deals like this still seem meager. I'll give it a shot.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

I love how knocking $3 off a game's price suddenly takes it from "way too expensive" to "reasonable". Either it's a good game or it's not, and since VVVVVV is most definitely a good game, it's worth it at $5 and $8.

Having said that, if eShop had gifting I would totally buy this for some friends.

SuperTeeter64

SuperTeeter64 said:

Agreed Oddy. Oh well. Least people are happy. Haha.

Can't wait to try Kingdom Hearts demo. Still shocked that came out. I'm glad Nintendo of America is finally picking up the slack a bit it seems like. We should be getting Wario Land 1 & Legend of Zelda NES real soon it seems like. Excited about both those titles.

Now I sadly gotta get ready for work... Siiiiigh. But I want to play more of my Ocarina of Time 3D 3 Heart Shieldless Run!... Well. Until I get the Mirror Shield...

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Yay. Definitly want to try out the Rythem Thief demo, along with the previously released Final Fantasy Theatre(whatever it's called)

As for VVVVVV....I think i may be in the extreme minority, but it didn't rock my retro world like it did for a lot of you guys. I beat it, and had zero desire to play the rest of the other different game based modes. it's solid and eveything, but eh...It just had this basement dwelling 'indie team' PC(oh wait) Vibe going on. Plus the 3D effect was lousy.

Hides under Rock...the same rock Chris Redifield punched with his hulk fist. :p

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

What an utterly fantastic week! Marvel Pinball and Bomb Monkey look great AND we get a good demo? Great job on this one NOA! See what you can do when you try :)

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Wow what a great week! Really wish I waited for VVVVVV now. Oh well, it's a great game. And I can't complain. Nintendo is finally doing sales. Every week! This is a revolution.
Definitely getting Ryem thief demo. Good week. Hopefully next week we get a game on sale I don't already have.

sonic_brawler95

sonic_brawler95 said:

Buying Bomb Monkey and Marvel Pinball, also getting the demo. Donkey Kong Jr also has an update, maybe it for restore points. Overall, fantastic week.

VVVVVV is well worth every single penny at its original price, so five bucks is a steal.

Also remember that starting next week, North America will get 2 new VC game a week during the entire month of July. Either watch the 8-Bit Summer video on the eShop or on Nintendo's YouTube channel to see the games that will be released and when they will come out. ;)

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

everything this week interests me and thats how it should be,might get everything anyway so I can start next years club nintendo platinum

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@arrmixer Actually, I know what it feels like, since prior to this last Christmas, I too, was a Wii-only owner, & every con(sole) gen(eration) I don't have but barely enough for one of the major consoles, so I know what it's like to be in the Wii-only section of the market. I feel for ya. Maybe next week, Wii VC will come out.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

wow this is a great week. I think I'll get VVVVV and bomb monkey... on July 1st of course for Club Nintendo reasons.

SchamMan89

SchamMan89 said:

When do the weekend sales typically start? I just checked e-shop but it was still original price.

Ren

Ren said:

I'm not sure how much Vvvvvvv interests me but I'm happy to get it just to put in my $ vote that Nintendo needs to see how well that works. Better be a lot more of that kind of those kinds of "specials" on WiiU or it'll be all fail. The problem still remains, it's got to be advertised and supported enough for people to know it's even happening. I shouldn't have to come here to know about it, it should be a "sale" category front and center on the shop channel. (maybe it is, though, I haven't looked yet)

Kagamine

Kagamine said:

Vvvvvvv isnt on sale for me, anybody else have this issue? Its still 7.99. For me.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Already have VVVVVV, I will try out the Rhythm Theif demo and plan on getting Bomb Monkey and Marvel Pinball 3D in the near future. Great week on the eShop.

RR529

RR529 said:

I'll be picking up Marvel Pinball. Will also get the Rhythm Thief demo at a later date. Already got VVVVVV (a real steal at it's sale price, BTW) & the KH demo.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

@Ren I agree completely. I'm happy to vote yes for sales by buying VVVVVV. It will be one of the first icons on the eshop this weekend and labeled game of the weekend, if it's the same as last weekend.

pariah164

pariah164 said:

VVVVVVV sale... Rhythm Thief Demo... Life is good in the eShop right now.

Why the heck has Square denied us a Theatrhythm demo? I mean, I'm getting it irregardless, but...

hydeks

hydeks said:

I'll be getting Double Dragon 2 on the VC this week, and Zelda on July 5th for 3DS VC. So, things are starting to pick up again.

AlGator

AlGator said:

I picked up Marvel Pinball to play at lunch, and will definitely pick up VVVVVV at the sale price. Also the demos.

videojill

videojill said:

@TwilightV said:

The Marvel Pinballs have a Wolverine table with a lot of X-Men characters.

The Avengers table though is the best, with all The Avengers from the film having their own pinball! The World War Hulk table too!

Dobeymaster

Dobeymaster said:

It's a tough call for me. I'm holding out for Wario Land, with my piddly 6:35, but I want VVVVVV. I guess VVVVVV has to wait...

n2k

n2k said:

I was a little disappointed that we didn't get the Theaterhythm demo, but the Rhythm Thief demo ended up being pretty cool.

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

@videojill Are all of those tables going to make it to 3DS for sure? Because right now, it looks like we've just got Iron Man, Blade, Captain America, and Fantastic Four tables.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

^ Probably not happening in society in our lifetimes...

Also, to continue my last comment, I still am a Wii-only owner in terms of home consoles, but I also just got a 3DS.

Marvel Pinball looks like it might be for me, or this VVVVVV(V6?). Anyway, glad to see sales starting.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I retract my previous post. I thought the article itself told when the sale starts, but now I don't see it at all.

idork99

idork99 said:

If it weren't for demos on the eShop, I would've easily passed on Rhythm Thief for I have too many good games to play right now. But now they I've played the demo, I have to say that there's a lot of charm to the game. I'll definitely keep on eye out for this game when it hits North America.

x-mas_mii

x-mas_mii said:

now I know what apple users feel like I just bought VVVVVV full price yesterday and it will be on sale this weekend!

mamp

mamp said:

Bought VVVVVV the instant it was on the eshop at full price and I did not regret it, it's my second favorite eshop title on the 3DS and anyone who misses out on this game during its sale is severely suffering from stupidity. Also Rhythm thief demo FTW.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

What does the 3DS version of VVVVVV has compared to the one on pc? (apart from the 3d effect :P)
Might get it...

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Some really good stuff this week. I plan on getting Marvel Pinball as well as Bomb Monkey. I bought VVVVVV when it first came out and it was definitely worth it at full price. Nice to finally see some sales from Nintendo. I was hoping that we would get a discount on Dillon's Rolling Western like Europe did. Oh well, hopefully soon.

iroxursox

iroxursox said:

man so much this week and so much cheep stuff ( besides marvel pinball) just might have to get everything this week

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Oh yeah and Flip the Core looks like a pretty interesting title. I'm going to wait for the review though. I'm also glad that I got to try out the Rhythm Thief demo. I thought that it was okay but not good enough to keep my pre-order on it. Will likely pick it up when it drops in price.

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

The sale on VVVVVV starts 6/29 at 9 AM PST and lasts until 9 PM PST for anyone who was wondering. Nintendo's latest email has this info at the top.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

@Apple it is on Steam for the same as the sale price on the eshop, here's a link, http://store.steampowered.com/app/70300/

Well I tried the newest demo, not a fan of the repeated patterns, so Sega's game won't be getting my purchase. As for VVVVVV, currently death seems very much the same, might change my mind and get it, but I'll be looking at it deeply first

photofool83

photofool83 said:

Okay, so, Bomb Monkey is...AMAZING!! I have seriously played it all night. Great job, Renegade Kid! Very fresh idea!

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

@grimbldoo i was wondering about the 30 second recent update as well, and since thre's no news about it, i can only assume its some sort of stability fix for something no one's caught yet or a 3ds flashcart bricker or something.

Sam_Loser2

Sam_Loser2 said:

I MUST GET VVVVVV WHILE IT'S ON SALE!! Oh wait, I got it when it came out.... I just love this game. It's not just my favorite eShop game, it's my favorite 3DS game yet.

SDDMN

SDDMN said:

Well, I played the Rhythm Thief demo, and it was pretty fun! I might get the full game now that I tried it. :)

sinsalaca

sinsalaca said:

Am more intrigued by Rhythm Thief now that I played the demo. I didn't expect that many different type of rhythm based game play. May have to add that to my summer list after Heros of Ruin and Kingdom Hearts.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@WolfRamHeart I thought just the opposite - I'm pre-ordering Rhythm theif now! Those Rhythm games are so fun. Normally I suck at these kinda games, but I actually had fun trying to A rank each one.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Okay, I just spent half an hour of pure bliss playing the VVVVVV demo on Steam. Now I definitely have to get this game.

Dax7000

Dax7000 said:

I'm glad for all the demos the E-shop has recently. I wonder if there
would be more open ambassador games in the future.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

@Mickeymac: Don't get me wrong, I think that it was a fun demo but with so many games coming out I just needed to prioritize which games I can afford to buy at launch and which ones I can wait on. I hope that you enjoy it man. I'll be sure to pick it up later on.

pariah164

pariah164 said:

Didn't Rhythm Thief ALREADY drop in price? By like $10? Either way, I'm sold. This is a very good month for Rhythm Game fans like me.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@pariah164,

Yeah I'm passing on rythme thief but yeah I check on amazon & gamestop's site under games coming soon pretty regularly & it already dropped in price before it's even out yet thought it was a little strange personally.

I'm waiting for:

Imagine Babyz - 3ds
Disney Princess - 3ds
Animal Crossing - 3ds
New Super Mario 2 - 3ds
Luigi's Mansion 2 - 3ds
Paper Mario - 3ds
Scribblenauts - 3ds
Moshi Monster's - 3ds
Hello Kitty Picnic with sanrio friends - 3ds

I play all types of different video games. :D

I got bomb monkey, marvel pinball, & vvvvvv.

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

RHYTHM THIEF!!!!! :D :D :D :D
I would preorder this game, but i'm broke... :P
I'll just use B-Day money in August to get this and NSMB2.
Also, am I the only one who didn't like the kingdom hearts demo?

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

My eshop didn't update, so I get no demo, or vvvvvv for $4.99 :(
Edit: never mind. I just turned off my 3ds, and turned it back on, and they were there ^.^

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

I'm so glad Nintendo finally embraced demos.

It made passing on KH3D and Rhythm thief very easy for me :P

might get rhythm thief down the road at a discounted price. But KH3D is a no buy for sure.

pariah164

pariah164 said:

@bonesy91 So you're not a KH fan (okay, it's not for everyone) or a rhythm game player (fine), so what games ARE you looking forward to?

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

@Pariah164
Well I am a fan of Kingdom hearts (played nearly all of them) but the story has drifted so much that I've sorta been put off of the series. But I'll come back eventually... whenever 3 finally comes out :P

and games I'm looking forward to?
Unchained blades.
Fire emblem: Awakening
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate
Transformers Prime (if it scores well)
Rabbids Rumble
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Monster hunter 3 or 4 (whenever capcom decides to tell us lol)
Bravely default: flying fairy
just to name a few....

pariah164

pariah164 said:

@bonesy91 I'm looking forward to Paper Mario and Castlevania as well. July, my wallet will be hurting: KH3D, Rhythm Thief, and next week, Theatrhythm.

Vincent294

Vincent294 said:

@Oddy I'm going to get it now because I've been on the fence for getting it, and ATV Wild Ride 3D is going to be around $10. To have that, I want to have $10 left. The sale price leaves me about $11, so if I get both, I don't need to buy another eShop card. If I had had enough to get both prior to the sale, I probably would've caved in and got it by now.

Squirtodile

Squirtodile said:

UGH! I really want VVVVVV! I dont think my dad will let me get it even though i have money...>.<

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

To those who are going by eastern standard time in north america like me. The e-shop sales start's at 12 noon each friday & end's on each monday right before 12 noon.

It's still good though. :)

Get good e-shop games on thursday & on friday's great sales yay! Can't get any better than that. :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I was planning on purchasing VVVVVV when it was on sale for $4.99 over the weekend but my power has been off now for 4 days and well......looks like I'll have to pay full price now. Eff a d**n Derecho! >:[

Henmii

Henmii said:

So you guys got a weekend sale...and on vvvvvv!!

Ironically I (a European) downloaded this awesome but also very expensive (read: to expensive) game last friday! If we also get a weekend sale for this game soon I will cry! Still the game is awesome, much better then I expected!

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

@VincentV I am just now reading this, but yeah, that's fine. Actually, I was just saying it doesn't make sense to say, "This game is overpriced at $8, but it's reasonable at $5." Like, either it's a good game or it's not. I can totally understand if you can't justify it at a certain price though; that's subjective and circumstantial and doesn't comment on the quality of the game. :)