You Won't Need To Track Too Much Treasure To Buy Captain Toad

Posted by Darren Calvert

Kmart points to budget price Toad

When we first clapped eyes on Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker we did wonder if it might be a quick spin-off intended only for the Wii U eShop. However, having spent lots of hands on time tracking treasure ourselves with Captain Toad now, we can say our fears were unsubstantiated. This is definitely a fully fleshed out, game as our Captain Toad preview attests.

We did still wonder if, even with boss fights, mine cart levels and tons of new features to spice up the isometric puzzle gameplay, if there would be enough content to warrant a full priced release alongside heavyweights such as Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D World.

It does appear that Nintendo are positioning this as a mid-tier price Wii U retail game, as North American retailer Kmart has priced their preorder at $39.99. This places it alongside games like Game & Wario which have also launched with a MSRP of $39.99, two-thirds the standard US retail release price.

Will this be a short but sweet game, or great value for money? Let us know what you think with a comment below.

[via kmart.com]

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

I thought $39.99 would be low-tier Wii U game price? DKC Tropical Freeze is $49.99 and then games like Smash and Mario Kart are $59.99.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

makes it even more worth buying. the game looks sooo cool. my avatar approves

sub12

sub12 said:

Does anybody know if this game will have support for the pro controller?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I expected this price. It wasn't going to be full-priced and it wasn't going to be so low like an eShop game. I think as time goes on it will be apparent Treasure Tracker will deserve to be a full game. We just don't know enough about the game right now. We don't even know yet if there will be some kind of story.

NintenAliff

NintenAliff said:

I kinda wish they would go with the New Super Luigi U route, meaning a DLC version for those with Super Mario 3D World and a standalone version for those who just want to play Captain Toad.

outburst

outburst said:

I'm going to buy this on the eShop instead of getting it physically. I'm glad it's only 40 bucks.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Sweet. My wallet can take a slight less beating come this silly season.
That said, I'd love a full 3D Toad or Kirby platformer. How i miss them!

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

Surprising that video games nowadays have actually much cheaper as compared to those in the 80s or the 90s. SNES games caused like US$70 every game back then. A Genesis game, in contrast, was $30-40.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@WiiULoveSquid I second that :) In roughly 20 years of nintendo gaming, there is really just one game that i regret paying full price for, and that is Yoshis New Island :P

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

I'm really looking forward to this game, although I did have the same thought's that this would be best suited to an eShop release. I know it's going to be great so I'm excited.

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

I'd imagine that this game was a quick turn, so I'm going to guess it falls into the short but sweet catagory. I'm perfectly fine with that. Plus, I believe this game is going to experiment with DLC just like Pikmin 3 did.

Hero-of-WiiU

Hero-of-WiiU said:

I hate Platformers that can be easily beaten within a few days and never played again. Althogh this isnt too much a platformer. 3d World did it right with tons of bonus stages/worlds.. Anyways I hope this game is full with content.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

This will be my platinum reward next year. Mark my words people don't get it if you want this as a free dl. I'm going to wait and see what the future holds for this one.

ShigKirby

ShigKirby said:

@Einherjar It might be the most unoriginal game ever but it isn't a bad game. I've played through all the levels and didn't think it was a complete waste despite it being so similar to the original, you might as well play that.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@ShigKirby I just got incredibly bored with it. It snot that its unoriginal or doesnt reinvent the wheel, for me, its just way too boring to keep me playing.
I had the same with Super Paper Mario for instance. Nice game overall, but it is so darn boring.

Shambo

Shambo said:

I hope it gets some sort of co-op levels, in which you have to work together, and use different camera angles on both screens or something.

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

A budget price is what I was hoping for, though I didnt really expect it. I'm very interested in this game, but then I had not bought it at full price. But then again, until today I got each first-party Wii U title for a maximum of 45 euro (e.g. MK8), in most cases 40 euro (e.g. Pikmin 3), on day one. But I don't expect to get this for 30. 35 rather, so I may wait.

Sampras

Sampras said:

Excellent! This game is a great idea! I loved the mini games that this was born from.

Btw, price of game doesn't equate with how "good" it is or how much you'll enjoy it.

rjejr

rjejr said:

$40 seems about right, to me that price says real game w/ a budget price. And if you look at a lot of $60 games these days w/ online multiplayer, and this is an off-line single player puzzle game - $40 seems right. I've seen several collectibles in the videos but as its predominsntly a puzzle game, once you solve the puzzle theres really little reason to replay a level. Its not a platformer which basis its fun on timing and jumping and speed runs, well I guess you could speed run a puzzle but I havent seen that advertised yet. If the levels do have speed runs times like Sonic Lost World that coild helo longevity. Personally Im a fan of bronze, silver, gold but very few games use that.

Also, this game is due out around the same time as SSB U which will probably be $60 and is built on replayability, so dven compared to their own game this might look bad at $60, Plus Nintendo needs to mske sure we all have enough money to buy amiibo. I guess $40 means no free bundled Capt Toad amiibo though :-(

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

Doesn't really make me interested. I'm not a fan of Toad nor did I enjoy the Captain Toad levels from 3D World. The moment I heard this was a retail game I was immediately turned off.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

Awesome. I was expecting $50. This is even better. Good move, Nintendo.
My avatar also approves. Let's get drinkin'.

Dreamz

Dreamz said:

@sub12 & @Zapkido
If I recall correctly, the Captain Toad levels in Super Mario 3D World were some of the few that required Gamepad usage. With that in mind, it's very likely that Pro controller usage won't be an option unless there's some kind of Co-op mode.

iphys

iphys said:

Makes me even happier I pre-ordered it. Was sort of hoping it wouldn't be a full $65 game.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

This works for me, as I'd be a little uncomfortable paying over $40 for it. Still, I'll wait for reviews before jumping.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

Day one!! Can't believe I'm more excited to play this than Smash for Wii U! Is just that I truly loved those Captain Toad levels on SM3DW that when Nintendo announced at E3 that Captain Toad will have it's own retail game based on that concept I literally screamed of excitement the whole day! I just hope it comes packaged with tons of levels and content even if it's not at full retail price but you know we can trust Nintendo in terms of content/quality when it comes to their 1st party games :)

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

Only Nintendo can sell this for $39.99 and get people to buy it, any other company trying to sell this for more than $19.99 would get laughed at

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I am willing to pay full price for this, as I loved the Captain Toad levels, and any EAD Tokyo game. Knowing their track record, it will be crammed with content.

But of course less than that makes the deal even sweeter.

Pod

Pod said:

I think most had figured this game wouldn't be premium price.

@DualWielding
No other company would be able to make this game anywhere near as charming looking as Nintendo can, and no other company could guarantee quality of experience like Nintendo can.
They can charge $39.99 because they're Nintendo, true, but they didn't get to be Nintendo through random luck.

Action51

Action51 said:

$40 American billz?

MINE.

Yeah...I was very interested before, but for $40 it's a must buy.

Action51

Action51 said:

@DualWielding - Seriously?

Why is little big planet full retail?

Why are all the throw-together licensed games for animated movies at full retail? How to train your dragon 2 is really worth $50 or more?

Please be a better troll, lol.

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

Wait a minute.
Wait.
A.
Minute.
This is a full retail game?
Seriously?
I was expecting it to be eShop, so $40 is a ton compared to what I previously thought. So, yeah, doubt this'll warrant me buying it.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

@Action51 I don't think @DualWielding is trolling, That's kinda true. Nintendo can make any kind of spin-off game and Nintendo fans will buy no matter how ridiculous the price is. BTW LittleBig Planet actually has a lot of content.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@XFsWorld

People are willing to pay $60 every year for Madden and Fifa, and EA is happy to cash in on that. Activision had no problems in charging $30 for Angry Birds on 3DS. So why single out Nintendo? All fanbases can be taken advantage of.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Oh ho......tempting tempting...I like cheap Wii U games :P Still need to get 3D World before this though!!!!!!!!!!!

FernandoMachado

FernandoMachado said:

I'm sure this one was cheaper to develop compared to 3DWorld as they had the engine and most of the assets already done. It just came down to adding a new mechanic here and there and creating the levels. The price feels right and I'm grabbing it on day 1.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@DualWielding
Righhhhhht.... Cause Nintendo is known for selling $20 games for 2-3x the price. Also sells skins for $5 a pop last I checked.

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

@Grumblevolcano
When there is Mario or Zelda in the title they price it 59,90, the others are 49,90

but...
"if there would be enough content to warrant a full priced release alongside heavyweights such as Mario Kart 8"

And where is the content in the so called heavyweight MK8?

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Well, all I can say is, "everything can't be 5 cents"

• Charlie Brown commercial

Guess if you don't want it, don't buy it. But I certainly am.

xj0462

xj0462 said:

@MixMasterMudkip me too. while i can see this doing pretty well as a 8 dollar eshop only title, i dont think it would sell very well as a full reatail title

beautifulstrong

beautifulstrong said:

I haven't played this game yet, but I'm sure there is forty dollars worth of fun to be had!!!! The stages in SM3DW were a treat!!

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I will buy this at point when it comes out! looks good but I hope it's not too babyish.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@rjejr Good point. They may have the base game at $40 and then maybe a version packed with amiibo for more. As this game will support amiibo I hope Nintendo explains soon how amiibo works. Will certain characters only work with certain games? I just would love to know if Samuel and Link amiibo will work in Mario Kart 8.

element187

element187 said:

It's easily more than worth $40... People just want something to complain about. $8 eshop game? Are you kidding me? Have you ever seen an eshop game with this much production value? If you look closely they even improved the visual fidelity over SM3DW. This isn't just a quick cash grab.

mowerdude

mowerdude said:

This game should be DLC for Super Mario 3D World like Super Luigi U is for Super Mario Bros U. It should be $20 for download version and have to have 3D world to play it or a Retail copy of Captain Toad for $30 just like Super Luigi U is.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Nico07 - I was just kidding about the amiibo, I didn't even know they worked with this game until I read your reply, so thanks for that. If the game is $40 and the Capt.Toad amiibo sells for $15 then a $50 bundle would be awesome :-) I'ld pay $10 for the Capt Toad amiibo even if it dint't work in game, he's kinda adorable.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

oh cool i think the pricing for a short game is nice it does make you want to get it :P im still meh about it but who knows i might get it eventually