This Is Where Unwanted 3DS And DS Games Go To Die

Posted by Damien McFerran

Spare a thought for these abandoned titles

Ever wondered what happens to all the 3DS and DS games that never find a loving home, either brand new or on the preowned market? They get recycled, as the materials they are made from still have some value — even if the code contained on the card doesn't.

Reddit user HxCut works at a recycling plant and was kind enough to post this final picture of a 545 kilos (12000lbs) of abandoned 3DS and DS carts, all ready to be stripped down and used for other things. According to HxCut, most of the games in this photo are the critically-acclaimed (not really) iCarly 2: iJoin the Click!, but there are plenty of other equally unwanted titles in there.

Here's what HxCut had to say:

This is a gaylord (that's what the boxes are called), they are generally 48"x48"x48". I manage an e-recycling warehouse and these were at my buyer's place. The only value is in the gold scrap. Looked to be like 75% iCarly 2, with some others mixed in. I'd guess they simply couldn't be sold.

So now you know where these dreadful titles end up — and you also know that those massive boxes are called Gaylords — they're named after the Gaylord Container Company, so stop sniggering at the back.

[via kotaku.co.uk, reddit.com]

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

"they're named after the Gaylord Container Company, so stop sniggering at the back."
Sry, I'll stop now :/

Koapa

Koapa said:

I must say, some of this game (Sims 2 for example) are really only a scrap.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Wow, that's a lot of money. At least those carts housing bad games will contribute and be good for something.

Dezzy

Dezzy said:

This is what you get for making the DS and 3DS (and Wii) libraries comprised of 50% shovelware whose only marketing tactic is to con ignorant parents.

Olmectron

Olmectron said:

I wonder if the TV show actors would care enough to play their own game at least once. Would they get sick after such a horrible experience? Or would they rejoice for having appeared on a videogame?

noctowl

noctowl said:

I love gamestop. You all hate on it but don't pretend you aren't at the midnight launches.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

come on now, Gamestop may sell a lot of used games, but even they can't sell that many copies of iCarly 2. gaylord boxes of 'em are no joke, they're made to be moved around on pallets. kinda makes you wonder how many copies they printed total, and if they buried this one box intact in the desert, could it be the next E.T.? :3

FX102A

FX102A said:

Some comments elsewhere said there was a copy of SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked in there. I either hope they were wrong or an illustrious Good Samaritan was able to recover it.

Considering their small size, I would try to pocket any oddities I find (I know there are risks involved, but I'd still try).

heathenmagic

heathenmagic said:

what a waste, not good for the planet. If they stop making crap games, then it will be better than this waste lol!

Shambo

Shambo said:

It's painful to see a 'gaylord' with so many -probably mostly- bad games that got a physical release, and an e-shop full of great games that will probably never get that kind of loving treatment.

Edit: loving treatment as in physical release, not as in being recycled, that is.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

A bunch of iCarly inside a gayload, there's a sentence I thought I'll never say in my life.... I'll stop snickering now.

I can't help but imagine how it feel to be a gamer and have that much cartridges in front of you (even if it is the same). Scrooge Mcduck comes to mind.

Gold

Gold said:

I could see:

• iCarly 2 obviously
  • Rabbids Travel in Time 3D (send me a copy, this game good when I played it)
  • Bakugan Defenders of Core
  • One of the Imagine Babyz games from (hahah) Ubisoft. Imagine that Ubisoft games in da tresh)
  • Dreamworks Kart Racing whatever
    Someone else could also see Mario Kart 7 and Street Fighter 4 3D.
    What's that blue/yellow DS cart in the bottom?

Now seriously, how much would this be (the Gaylord box full of DS carts) for trade in credit at Gamestop? I would think $59-$200 considering there are 3DS games in there.
I guess iCarly 2 is the next ET.

Joshuaamylle

Joshuaamylle said:

The f***? this is outragous imagine all those poor people who can't afford to buy games and even consoles....tsk tsk :( this really saddens me that the majority will not care about this just because they can buy whatever they want.Such a huge waste and lost :""(

ogo79

ogo79 said:

look at all those mario games right where they need to be.
as for the fabulous name of these cardboard boxes...im changing my last name to that

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

@IxnayontheCK
Not heard of that. Anyone who grew up in Britain in the 70s would remember comedy great Dick Emery and one of his characters, the bovver boy who always messed up, Gaylord Screwsby:
Untitled
Seems a shame to see games go like this. Surely they could send some to charities or kids hospitals?

argh4430

argh4430 said:

Well, I learned something new today. I didn't know those boxes had a name. They're built pretty well, it took me cutting them apart just to get them to go in the compactor at my job. Also, I wonder how it gets decided when games just get trashed/recycled like that. Is there a definite time-frame or something?

Samwise7

Samwise7 said:

I've seen some gaylords in my time, and sometimes covered in scrap gold but never one containing such a huge amount of poopoodoodoocacapoopledoople games.
Please watch the profanity — TBD

HADAA

HADAA said:

Damien Damien Damien, how would 545 kg translate to 12000 lbs? That's one zero too many.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

So just destroy the games instead of giving them to charity? Surely some may want them

AugustusOxy

AugustusOxy said:

Well I'm sure not all those games are unwanted.

But resale places do love stuff like this, destroy a thousands of copies of one game.... bam, the value of that game goes up. Its kind of disgusting really.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Wow learn something new everyday. I have been working at Goodwill for 3 years now and we use Gaylords to sort donations in. Until now I never knew why they were called Gaylords I figured it was some sort of Goodwill lingo.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

Don't show sakurai this cause there are a lot of Kid icarus cartridges in that abandoned pile.

Jahir

Jahir said:

@HADAA That's about right, 12000 lbs would be an astounding number of trash, considering they're 75% of the same game.

Without being offensive, I think you should know the convertions to the SI (I'm not sure how you call it) because it's like what almost everyone in the world uses... But then again, maybe you just type another zero by mistake.

Link506

Link506 said:

@midnafanboy How COULD they!?!? Kid Icarus was, and probably still is my favorite 3DS game to date. Especially with online multiplayer.

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

Am I the only one who what's to jump and swim in that box of DS cartridges.

Or am I just crazy.

BlackHearted1

BlackHearted1 said:

Doesn't surprise me this pawnshop near me had like so many ... bad ... games i think there was like ten copies of an icarly game there, and alot of wii games as well

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I'm bawling right now. I look at this box of games and all I see are helpless puppies about to be thrown in a furnace.

Sure 75 percent of them are iCarly 2, but that isn't their fault! We should get a fundraiser together to rescue this gaylord if it hasn't already been crushed and distribute the games among our community.

Darkness3131

Darkness3131 said:

I found out the other day that my mother payed $60 to get the iCarly game on the Wii for my sister.... (She played the game once and hasn't
touched it since; it is terrible)

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

It looks like all of Activisions and Ubisofts left overs, nothing of value here.

ReindeerDasher

ReindeerDasher said:

After carefully examining the picture, I see no copies of Kid Icarus: Uprising, not even where others said they did. It may look like it at first, but they have different cart art.

maceng

maceng said:

@123akis
What for? There are games that won't just sell, like the aforementioned iCarly 2, the Jonas Brothers games, Galactic Taz Ball (new 39 cents, used, 1 cent), etc.
There are about 3000 DS titles, from which I have more than 500 and some of them I wouldn't ahve them not even for free!!

maceng

maceng said:

@AddADashOfSalt
I'd have been a crime if a Kid Icarus cart showed up.
I can make a Rabbids 3DS game, on the bottom, mid to left part of the image. (I have the game, BTW).