Artwork: When Nintendo Finally Gets Around To Rebooting Star Fox, We Hope The Characters Look Like This

Posted by Damien McFerran

Fox and Falco looking mean and moody

The Star Fox series has been dormant for far too long — 3DS remake accepted, of course — and we sincerely hope that one day soon, Nintendo will bring the franchise out of retirement and give us the epic Wii U space adventure we've all been waiting for.

Until then, we can simply feast our eyes on this gorgeous fan artwork by Oscar Römer. He has lovingly crafted Fox and Falco in semi-realistic form, and there's a good chance that if and when Nintendo does reboot Star Fox, the characters could end up looking not entirely dissimilar.

Have a look yourself and let us know what you think of these illustrations — as well as how badly you want a new Star Fox game.

[via kotaku.com]

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

I think I like the style more than the designs, actually. That oil painting look would be pretty neat for a Nintendo game, even if it isn't Star Fox.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I prefer Rogue Squadron 2 to any of the Gamecube Starfox games.

(Rather play Galaxy Force 2 than Starfox 64 as well.)

SirMime

SirMime said:

No moody Slippy? Hmmm how would that even work? haha
I would really love a new Starfox game. Love every title in the series.

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

Just tell Kamiya and give him enough money, send a couple of Ninjas and do the job.
Never gonna happen.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I think I prefer the original design/recent, they look small, angry, weird and it looks like fox got one of his arms cut off!...but for falco's limbs I don't know what to say.

Kilroy

Kilroy said:

While it is skillful artwork, I don't like the designs at all. I never had a problem with Star Fox's art direction and their Smash Bros. designs are great too.

And Fox's prosthetic arm is interesting, but weird.

SMEXIZELDAMAN

SMEXIZELDAMAN said:

Well if you think about it the reason their proportions are a bit off is cuz they are animals after all. I think it looks cool :O

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

Fantastic art. It's different. Wouldn't pick it for actual game art, but it's cool.

xevious

xevious said:

NO! Just....no. We don't want semi-realistic for Zelda, not for Mario and not for Star Fox. Why does everything have to be realistic nowadays???

gsmaciel

gsmaciel said:

@xevious Although I completely agree with you, the original Starfox itself had realistic looking artwork. I mean, realistic plush dolls, anyway...

steamhare

steamhare said:

@baum897
Yes, it makes loads of sense. Fox has short, stumpy legs (is he a dwarf?) and Falco has a really tiny body for some mysterious reason, and both have really boring, single colored outfits. However, the pictures have a wonderful painted texture that maintains detail...

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Falco looks OK but I don't like the way Fox looks. I would like a redesign though! Fox and team need an update.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Starfox has too much of a human shaped head w/ a snout on it, doesn't make any sense. And why is Falco's great looking bird head on a T-800 body, did I miss something?

I enjoy the attempt at realism, but these are a bit off-putting.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@unrandomsam Rogue Squadron 2 is the last spaceship/air combat game I enjoyed. It's such an underused genre now. I'd love Nintendo to use Rogue Leader's mechanics for a Starfox game but they'll probably make it into a 2D platformer..

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

We need your help, Retro! Wii U has been declared doomed! Our console is being trampled on by the enemy and they're trying to take all the fun out of gaming! Our company alone can't do the job! Hurry Retro!”
—General Oor Wullie

argol228

argol228 said:

It looks horrible. I mean apart from the weird proportions they just look lifeless and dull.

now when ever I think of Fox and crew I can't help but think of the Fantastic mr Fox
Untitled

Remisio

Remisio said:

Did I miss something? I didn't know Fox McCloud had a prosthetic arm... I mean, he does have prosthetic legs... As far as I can remember... Or was that his dad? Well... Either way... The art style kind if puts me off... I doubt Nintendo would do something like this. Maybe if Star Fox was handed over to an American developer it'd look similar to this, but if it remains worked on by Nintendo or Platinum or any Japanese developer... I highly doubt it'd look like this.

mattcam84

mattcam84 said:

@xevious Speak for yourself. Before you pass judgement, I can assure you that I have been a die hard classic, present, and future Nintendo fan since I got an NES from Christmas in 1986.. I absolutely think that Star Fox would be a great contender as a realistic gritty fun and heart warming space opera. These designs look fantastic.

Artwark

Artwark said:

What happened to Fox's right arm?

Nah, I don't like em but I do love Nintendo to make another Starfox game.

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

I don't hate them like some of you do, but I always thought it would be cool to see the Star Fox team as Muppet like puppets. This art direction would be very unique.

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

Just to add, I would be happy with either a Star Fox or Rogue Squadron game, although I think a Rogue game is highly unlikely now that Disney owns the franchise and just downsized their gaming studios.

Squid

Squid said:

I think they're pretty cool. Maybe not how I'd prefer the characters to look if they were rebooted, but the designs are an interesting take. Fox reminds me of Rocket Raccoon here. :P

Yosher

Yosher said:

Ew, no. The artstyle is good but they don't even look like Fox and Falco anymore to me. What's up with the short legs anyway? Makes them look like gnomes or something.

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

A li'l to realistic, but good for fan artwork though. Can't say I'd want this for actual game artwork. I would love a new Star Fox, but sadly I don't think "Star Fox 64 3D" did well enough to convince Nintendo/Miyamoto to make a new game. (Even one outsourced to Q-Games, or another developer.) Didn't help Nintendo released it around the same time as "Ocarina of Time 3D" so Zelda got more attention, and sales. They really should've waited, and released SF643D after the Zelda hype, or save it for SF's 20th anniversary. (Which was ignored last year in favor of the Famicom anniversary & "Year of Luigi.")

CharlieLoneWolf

CharlieLoneWolf said:

I think they look baddonkey. I wouldn't mind a more realistic art style. I like when Nintendo experiments with art styles within franchises (like the many looks that Zelda games have had, and the unique look that Yoshi's Island had after Super Mario World).
Please watch the profanity — TBD

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Judging by the smoking gun he's holding I'm guessing Fox finally snapped and killed Slippy.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

"We"? Who's "we"? Not me for sure. Those are creepy! I hope Nintendo sticks with the Brawl/new Smash Bros. art style. This fan art reminds me of those Amazonian/dragon posters that were the rage back on the 70's. Later spoofed by Chevy Chase in a National Lampoon movie, lol!

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

KeithTheGeek

KeithTheGeek said:

Why should the new games look this way? I mean, it's Star Fox. The two most popular games in that series aren't exactly free from goofiness. And these paintings, while good, are a little...too stubby looking. Goofy for an entirely different reason, basically.

mch

mch said:

I would love some rough edges, raw steel and blood in chosen Nintendo IPs ..Preferably a new 'mature' IP though. Star Fox might not be righ like that, here I want online and open world space action in RPG manner.
Please, I'm praying every day for a new F-Zero, Metroid and Star Fox!

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

Other than the fact that they're holding their blasters I like the style. Unless Fox is in the Landmaster for one or two stages he has no business being on the ground at all. Just make a game with awesome graphics and with the same structure as Star Fox 64... it really shouldn't be that difficult...

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Nah, this art looks good from an artistical point, but is rather unfitting for the StarFox series in general.
Assault is where it's at. Great flight parts, cool story - only the land sections needed some better balancing. And the character designs are still my absolute favourite!

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

The designs are good but like most people I think that the original designs are better. The reason is Star Fox is for all ages and the drawings look to realistic/mature. It would be great for Nintendo to make a mature game (preferably a new IP) but I'm not sure that Star Fox fits the bill.

Thats-what-shy

Thats-what-shy said:

How exactly is there a "good chance" that the next version of Star Fox characters will look like these?

Oh, wait. There isn't.

Agent721

Agent721 said:

I'm all fur it! HA! I like this look much better than the previous look, where they looked like characters out of a Disneyland. A little grit wouldn't hurt Nintendo.

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

Amazing artwork that would be actually cool to see in a new Star Fox game to change up the visuals. Best art I've seen of Fox and Falco in a long while and better than any of Nintendo's own concept art of them in the past decade or ever.

Giggity55

Giggity55 said:

I prefer just a touch up on their looks in Smash bros Brawl, actually. They have sort of a perfect balance between realistic, but not so serious like these artworks look.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@SuperCharlie78

Never say never. I don't think Nintendo is done with Starfox. Not by any means. There were several franchises missing on the Wii. I'm pretty confident we'll see a few of them return this gen. I mean, we already got Pikmin 3, right? Idk if they'll hand it to Kamiya, but they might. The guy is a very talented developer they know they can trust. And he can make more than just high octane action games like W101 and Bayonetta 2 (just look at Okami for example)

hydeks

hydeks said:

These look really cool and grown up,so naturally Nintendo wouldn't do it, they like happy fluffy cartoonie japanese stuff :-P lol

YoshiTails

YoshiTails said:

Great opportunity presented here to turn starfox into a franchise for mature gamers. We had Perfect Dark and Conkers Bad Fury day before, and I guess lylat wars was pretty mature compared to GameCube efforts. All rare games of course... Sigh, miss old rare!

boynerdrambling

boynerdrambling said:

A little desperate for news ey nintendo life? Posting fan art and all. Still its better then another article about sales

KeatonTS

KeatonTS said:

I dont... They're a little non-proportionate. Fox's head and torso is too big but his legs are stubby and short. and falco's body and head is also giant,with really, short legs.

I think they should stick to their cartoonish type style. or at least Smash bros melee fox with better hair/fur definitions

Overall, I don't feel that these designs match their character's essence or expressions too much.

This however. should be the new fox:

(Doesn't know how to post direct pictures yet)

SecondServing

SecondServing said:

Hell yeah! These designs looks baddonkey! The fur could be really detailed like Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze!
Please watch the profanity — TBD

GunstarHero234

GunstarHero234 said:

LOL no please for god sakes NO this art looks great for a fan convention but for a game HELL NO we already have a failed "Reboot" game coming already Sonic Doom.

Besides Fox and Falco drawing looks like they came out of an failed Marvel Rocket Raccoon comic.

DrOzaki

DrOzaki said:

I mean, yeah, if Nintendo wanted the game to sell all of about 2 copies they'd choose this art style.

mastersworddude

mastersworddude said:

Nope. I never liked realistic anthropomorphic style. I prefer the kind like Sly Cooper or Ratchet and Clank.

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

You know, the art is good, but I don't like the designs that much
BUT
I think it would be hilarious to see a gritty and realistic Star Fox game that just has the cheesiest story and dialogue, like Resident Evil and Symphony of the Night. I would buy that no doubt.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

The artwork itself is cool, but not for a Star Fox game. If they want to go realistic I'd say the style used in Star Fox Adventures or Assault would be much better, nice textures and proportions but still reasonably cartoony looking.

xevious

xevious said:

Four words I don't want to be associated with any of the classic Nintendo series: dark, gritty, mature and realistic. Not Star Fox, not Zelda, not Mario, not F-Zero, not Metroid. Never. Everything is dark, gritty, mature and realistic today and one of the reasons why I love Nintendo is that it's something else!

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

It looks great, I'd like to see these designs along with the oil-paint style. Not sure how this would make it "gritty", it's just a drawing with a specific color treatment. It could still be light-hearted and achieve that artstyle.

earthboundlink

earthboundlink said:

As others have said, good art, not really Star Fox-like. For my part, I really like the Smash Bros. Fox, with his Google Glass thing going on.

I also like the idea folks have tossed around of incorporating Rogue Squadron elements into Star Fox. Maybe we could pilot some other air/spaceships besides the Arwing and other ground units besides the Landmaster. Playthroughs and achievements unlock new units, etc. I'm also okay with a few on-foot missions here and there, but only if they're limited and well executed.

I don't think I want too many characters. I really enjoyed Star Fox: Command for DS for the gameplay, but lord there were way too many derpy characters in that game. I did enjoy the different stories in different playthroughs, though.

Aaaand, now I want to go play Star Fox 64 3D.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Nice artwork! I am not entirely sure if the next Starfox should look like this (I mean, the character designs), but its nice anyway!

WWammy

WWammy said:

I think the original designs look better the new ones are too moody and ugly.
However with that said they could do with updating just not like this IMO

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

I think it is horrible, un-Starfox/Nintendo-like and like quite a few have already said: the faces are COMPLETELY off. Especially Fox's face. A really strange stumped, human-like face with a snout glued to it.
In and of itself the art is quite an accomplishment, but I don't think it is a good version of Starfox.