Renegade Kid's New 3DS FPS Is Moon Chronicles

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Seasonal structure, visual overhaul and Circle Pad Pro confirmed

Renegade Kid co-founder Jools Watsham has been busy throughout January, teasing an announcement for FPS lovers and 3DS owners, and adding to the perspective with some tweets following the studio regaining the rights to the Moon IP. As promised on social networks this week, the mystery project has now been revealed on IGN.

It seems that the rumours, and indeed the trademark, did point to the correct answer. It's Moon Chronicles, an episodic offering that will come to the 3DS eShop this year, with the developer keen to continue with a second season in 2015. As for season one this year, that'll be a remake of DS title Moon and will arrive in March / April, with the following structure.

• Episode 1: $8.99 (contains chapters 1 - 4 + 6 VR Missions: ~4 hours of gameplay).
  • Episode 2 (as DLC): $1.99 (contains chapters 5 - 8: ~2 hours of gameplay).
  • Episode 3 (as DLC): $1.99 (contains chapters 9 - 12: ~2 hours of gameplay).
  • Episode 4 (as DLC): $1.99 (contains chapters 13 - 16: ~2 hours of gameplay).

The choice of an episodic structure is to encourage cliffhangers and suspense, as Watsham explains.

We’re big fans of TV shows like Lost. We love shows that really cement the feeling where you watch an episode, you have a cliffhanger, and you absolutely need to watch the next one.

That’s our plan for season two and beyond, [for us] to approach it in a similar way. ‘What’s the whole point of the season? Where do we start and where do we end up?

It's been promised that the title will be rebuilt from the ground up with improved visuals, 60fps (with 3D on or off) and Circle Pad Pro (and XL) support; Watsham has also stated in various tweets over the months that the studio's eventual FPS would support analogue controls as well as stylus aiming. The image below, meanwhile, shows the graphical improvement from the DS original.

IGN has also published a QR code that'll allow you to view screens directly on your 3DS.

• From the Nintendo 3DS home menu, press the L and R shoulder buttons to access the camera.
  • Touch the QR Code icon on the Touch Screen.
  • Aim your camera at the QR Code, and presto - you'll be taken to a special webpage where you view 3D screens! Don’t forget to activate the 3D slider.

So there you have it, a major project from Renegade Kid that'll seek to keep gamers interested with regularly released episodes and seasons? Are you looking forward to this?

[via uk.ign.com]

Related Games

Savino

Savino said:

Too bad it is a remake! I have the original one and was hoping for a sequel... Well.... Some ppl didnt played this gem and now there is a chance!

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

@Warruz

Pretty sure its a horror Sci-fi FPS.

I have to say I sometimes feel like Renegade Kidd is streched too far in terms of development. But at this point it looks like they should be on track to release a game each season if this keeps up.

Kmno

Kmno said:

Hoped it would be a sequel, or even a full game... I'll wait for reviews on this one.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

@Warruz
It's somewhat straight forward a la doom but it also has some fun retraversal elements and lite puzzles similar to Metroid Prime.

VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason said:

Hooray! I've been waiting for this! This is better than I hoped for! It's like a remake, and a sequel!

Diz93

Diz93 said:

I bought the first one because it was suppose to be really good, but honestly, i thought it got kinda boring. Lots of long green tinted corridors that all look the same. Maybe if it had more exploration it would be better.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

I just read the whole article and going episodic with this and Cult County seems to be a good way to keep deadlines.

I've liked the other RK games i've played so count me in.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

9 hours doesn't sound that long for a single-player only FPS. I'm still buying this and it's subsequent episodes. I hope they're still working on Cult County for eshop as well, then the nintendo fanboy in me can die a happy man. :)

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

@brandonbwii

I dunno most call of Duty games can be finished in that time period. They're probably still working on Cult County, its just they have four games in development right now.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

hm i dont know if i will get into the controlls. i dont want to buy the circle pad pro. i hate holding my 3DS with just one hand

Gioku

Gioku said:

So will the chapters be DLC? Or will I end up with a bunch of icons for this on my home menu if I do this?

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Wow that's expensive to keep up on! It really needs to be worth it but I've heard the praise from it already. Will wait for the reviews for sure.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

There are none of his previous one that have been any good. There is another 3DS FPS that has been covered on this site that looks far more interesting. (But his business model means lots of mediocre games instead of fewer better games and it is more likely to work).

What makes it even worse is I cannot even find the article with a quick look but I can find loads of references to this. (It is 60fps it looks quite good as well and they are working on anti-aliasing).

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

@Gioku yeah thats the question i ask myself too. it would really suck to get 4 different icons.
guess it depends on wether you can buy the last 3 episodes even witout having the first

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

@Gioku
I would think it's DLC as that is what the article states after the first is released. I doubt that they'll release it as individual icons.

I for one am excited for this one. I've been trying to find the DS Moon at Gamestop and can't seem to find it. This is my chance to play the original but with improved graphics. Can't wait. Just hoping they're still working on Cult County as well.

I've bought two other eShop games from RK, Mutant Mudds and ATV Wild Ride. Both are excellent games and i still play them.

SubZer023

SubZer023 said:

Omg this is so amazing i never played the first looked up a lil and now u finally get to with 3D and 60 fps. Im so glad were gettin fps now Cult country, iron fall, and now moon chronicles and watch how all these sell well and Activision look dum ha

mamp

mamp said:

@Gioku and @6ch6ris6
It says right there on the episode list that it's DLC.
Anyways I'm looking forward to getting this. I heard good things but I missed it the first time around. Also wouldn't mind a re-release of the dementium games.

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

@DerpSandwich
You can always wait till all the episodes are released and then get the game and DLC at the same time. Just a thought...

@SubZer023
Isn't Ironfall a 3rd person shooter? Still looking forward to it regardless if its 3rd or 1st person shooter.

SubZer023

SubZer023 said:

Same here mamp i never played thoes games and i want a game like orcs and elves on 3ds i know heros of ruin but thats not a fps skyrim type thingy

SubZer023

SubZer023 said:

Yess gustoff. Its a first slash 3rd person game amazing. Graphics. I just hope they polish up this game a bit more. And i hope this makes high voltage reconsider bringing conduit to the 3DS

SubZer023

SubZer023 said:

There still working on cult county, they want to take there time slow with it and dont rush which is a good thing in they want to compare in graphics to revelations. So its going to look nice

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

@Jools
Do we know how many blocks this eShop game will take up? Just wondering as i have only about 3000 blocks left on my SD card.

@SubZer023
3DS is looking good for us shooter fans that have been waiting for a FPS shooter. :)

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

I'm certainly going to be all over this. Renegade Kid is an awesome dev, and this looks simply amazing.

SubZer023

SubZer023 said:

Yess it is gustoff cx. If u wanna talk more find me on miiverse my ID is Subzero023

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

@MAN1AC
I know what you mean. When I first heard they were going to do that with Cult County also, i was a bit disappointed. However, being the FPS fan that I am, I'll be getting this first day. I've waited how many years since the 3DS came out for a FPS game? Yeah, first day buy for me.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

I never bought the original and was very interested in it. The textures and much more clean now. Will defo pick this game up and its great they are using the CPP. :)

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

@SubZer023
I don't have a Wii U, only a 3DS. Can I still find you with the 3DS Miiverse? I still haven't gotten used to the whole miiverse thing.

I'll check it out when i get home and see if i can find you and i'll follow you once i find you.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

Shame it's episodic. I think I'll just wait till it's all out. It's comes out jut like a normal download game if you add it up though. $15 for 10 hours, a very reasonable price and a good deal if you ask me. I suggest you get it all at once if you have a problem with the episodic structure.

ToniK

ToniK said:

It's been long since I played the original so will probably buy this. A sequel would be great though.

SubZer023

SubZer023 said:

Gustoff yess you can find me with the 3ds miiverse its what i use just go to search user

AJ_Lethal

AJ_Lethal said:

So 9 bucks for the base 4 gameplay hours and 6 bucks for 6 extra hours of gameplay?

Sounds reasonable.

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

@SubZer023
Will do. Haven't been playing much lately but will get back into it. Do you have ATV Wild Ride or Mutant Mudds? Both games are from Renegade Kid for 3DS.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

If this is better than Ironfall and Treasurenauts is better than Shovel Knight I will be surprised.

Mutant Mudds is not in the same league as Gunlord (I played the 3DS version of Mutant Mudds at the same time as the Dreamcast Gunlord and as Gunlord is being ported to the 3DS it is obviously more than capable).

Guovssohas

Guovssohas said:

About time we get a fps on the 3ds, so that's a good thing.

And about the gameplay hours; you can beat any modern fps in that time, any cod or any battlefield.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Awesome how everyone just complains.

Seems pretty cool to me - a full remake of a DS "hidden gem" (one I've never played but would be interested in trying) that costs $15 for the whole experience but offers a flexible pricing structure in case you aren't into the game?

Mutant Mudds didn't do it for me, and I don't have any special love for Renegade Kid... but this sounds cool and I'll keep the game in mind next time I'm looking for something to download.

PS — Rumor has it that this is just the start. If sales warrant, it would put Renegade Kid in excellent position to use the remade 3D engine for sequels.

Kifa

Kifa said:

I must say that I'm disappointed. I have the original game and personally see absolutely no reason to buy this remake, especially not in the seasonal form and for the price asked.

Sorry Renegade Kid, you have to try harder to get my money. ;)

Link41x

Link41x said:

There is going to be a sequel, are people just blind?
"with the developer keen to continue with a second season in 2015"
Season 1 is the remake, Season 2 will be new. What's not to get?

AlmightyDerek

AlmightyDerek said:

@Link41x

That's what I was wondering. It says there will be a sequel for season 2, not sure why people are complaining about it just being a remake. It's both. On topic though, not sure I want this. I did play Moon for the DS and only thought it was okay. Kind of a Metroid Prime lite with really boring scenery. Still I may give the sequel a chance.

SubZer023

SubZer023 said:

The only thing i can say they can do better is make the 3D polygons a lil better and the yellow dot thing on the gun to add like lightning and shading effects to and make good shading and lighting effects everywhere and bam u have a wonderful game cx

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

Def going to check out the QR code to view the screens in my 3DS with 3D on later tonight.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Not a fan of episodes, but I never played the original so I am interested. It does look like Doom, and to think about it, Moon is almost Doom spelled backwards.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@SubZer023 I have it as well however I agree far more with the WIi U review of the game here. (6/10 but the words as well). The Wii U version is also technically superior as well but the same game. I really wish I liked it

(It was also the game that made me decide me I need to actually read every single review which I would rather not have to do either).

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Jools makes it sound like season one will end on a cliffhanger. I'd prefer the story to end by the time episode 4 comes around, then start everything anew (character, story, environment etc.) come season 2.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

Moon was a great game :D I don't mind revisiting it with improved visuals. Plus, they said only season ONE was a remake of the original moon... So would that imply season two is kinda like a continuation/sequel?

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

What happened to that Western episodic game? Did they cancel it and decide to remake this one?

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Veeeeeery interesting. Of course with Sonic 4, Pearl Habor Trilogy and EscapeVektor (WiiWare) I'm a bit skeptical about episodic download titles actually...you know...releasing their episodes.

Regardless, I'll be picking this up for sure. And dat Treasurenauts.

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

Wouldn't using your thumb on the touch screen to control aim be a lot better than using the CPP?

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

I hate this "Episode" thing so many games are doing now. I just want the full game! If it's not finished, then don't release it until it is!

Well, it looks pretty, at least. The 3D screenshots look pretty great. If there's an option to just buy all the episodes for $15, I might get it.

allav866

allav866 said:

I'm no FPS fan, but this one (and the Metroid Prime Trilogy) has my interest.

5ony

5ony said:

I am really, really excited for this. I was expecting just a straight up sequel, so the announcement of a remake first was a bit of a damper. But then I saw the 3D screenshots... and remembered how much I enjoyed the original. And plus, this'll give me a reason to dust off my Circle Pad Pro.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

I've played through Dementium 1 & 2, but not Moon. this marks the first 'first person shooter' on the 3DS which is pretty exciting news for stereoscopic 3D lovers and people like me who love using the stylus to aim! Dementium along with Metroid Prime Hunters were groundbreaking from a control 'on the go' perspective.

Bakajin

Bakajin said:

Grrr-arghhhh . . . can't . . . photograph . . . 3DS screen . . . with . . . 3DS . . . camera.

Well, seeing as I'm reading this on my 3DS that QR code does me no good.

soma

soma said:

hmm I don't know, I'd like to try a FPS game but I don't want to buy the Circle Pad Pro and I really don't like touch screen controls. And how much space would I need? I'd rather buy it physically.

Justaguest

Justaguest said:

ds family is so well suited for FPS games and there are barely any to buy. such a shame

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I thought their FPS was called Cult County.

It looks decent. The big thing everyone wants from these games, is multiplayer. Hopefully this and Ironfall will be enough...

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@6ch6ris6 @soma

I highly recommend considering the Circle Pad Pro. It may seem awkward at first, but once you snap your 3DS in it and hold it in your hands, it's love at first sight. Really, it's very ergonomic and comfortable, and makes playing the 3DS feel like you're actually holding some semblance of a controller instead of a handheld. I used to have the original, but now I have the XL and XL CPP. Both are exceptional.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Ok, so this and Cult County are different projects. I was confused for a minute, there...

I agree on the Circle Pad Pro. I would use it for every game that supports it, most likely. Metal Gear, Nano Assault, Monster Hunter, and KH 3D make good use of it, IMO. I have the CPP XL.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@brandonbwii
Pretty sure 9-10 hours is pretty standard for single player mode in FPSes. Even if the game is single-player only, I think that length is decent enough.

aj_fowl

aj_fowl said:

@6ch6ris6 Get the stand that came with Kid Icarus. It's actually really useful. It's only like $4 on Nintendo's store page.

Nintendude789

Nintendude789 said:

I'm actually impressed with this FPS. I'm not a huge FPS fan, but this game actually cought my attention! And looks much better than that rehashed, overrated crap of Call of Duty. And it's almost 10 bucks. I'm so getting this game plus DLC.

daveh30

daveh30 said:

The original was great, can't wait to play this! Hopefully it sells good enough to warrant a proper sequel.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@One-Winged-Pit When you look at it as a Prime clone, I can see you didn't like it. But it's an old-school space FPS, and that's a different thing, that this game is really great at.
Just checked the screens in 3d, and it looks like I'm going to replay this 'adventure'. And now, with touch aiming confirmed for this one, I'm hoping even more for Dementium 3(d). Just make that one physical, and in Europe, please. Had to go through a lot of trouble to get a copy of Dementium 2. So I played it on R4, but still got an original version as well, wanted to support, and needed this in my collection of (physical, see...) games.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

Wait, what's going on with their other episodic horror game? Cult County I think it was called? Is that still coming out, because this looks kind of cool, but what I really want is new information on Cult County.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Looks awesome!!!!!!!! I'll keep an eye on this, I'm sure it will be great either way it will be great!! (love the DLC prices BTW seems nice and fair, plus it seems like a helluva a deal!!!!!)

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Well, I'm not big on the episodic installments thing, but I've never had the chance to play Moon so I'm excited for this!

crazyj2312

crazyj2312 said:

I'd be invested if it had multiplayer. Even prime hunters had a multiplayer mode but I can see why they wouldn't have one because of server maintenance and upkeep and stuff required for that

MAB

MAB said:

Finally... Something else for me to play on 3DS besides the awesome SEGA 3D classics ;)

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

When the last dlc will be available, one can realize if $ 15 are ok for a 10 hour FPS. The wait won't kill me.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Finally a reason to dust of my CPP XL, I love that thing! (Though, only for FPS games, Nano Assualt and Monster Hunter, most other 3DS games don't need it as they have a solid automated camera-system.)
The XL and CPP feel nice, sturdy and (not too) heavy.

(off-topic): Am I the only one who would have preferred the first version of the GamePad? The one with the 3DS-like slide pads? The GamePad's controls sticks are a tad too high for my taste and I got used to the 3DS's. Or at least ones that are of similar height of the PS4(/X1?) controllers' control sticks.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

In a strange sort of way, those DS graphics could be considered better xD the contrast is crisper and they have a little bit more detail, just a LOT less pixels!

Nico07

Nico07 said:

I like the price and 60 fps with 3D, I may even have to grab a CPP. But gaving played the first one, this same game already, I would actually be more excited for a remake of the DS Metroid by Nintendo or a new IP. The lack of FPS games on the 3DS is reason enough to buy. But when I bought my 3DS I had visions of how great an IP like a remake of the old N64 Goldeneye would be on the 3DS. I still have a blast with my 3DSXL

Jmaster

Jmaster said:

@Savino from what I've read, episode 1 is a remake of the original, ep 2 and beyond is all new content. so it's in between remake and sequel.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

This actually seems like a pretty good game to me. I consider $15 for all four episodes pretty reasonable if the game turns out to be polished and fun. I have been wanting to play a FPS on my Nintendo 3DS for quite a while now so this could be the perfect opportunity. My Circle Pad Pro will certainly come in handy as well since it doesn't get much use. Can't wait for the reviews!

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Cool to see them coming back to the Moon.

That QR code trick is really nice, I hope more 3DS games developers would use that, really cool to see actual 3D images through the browser.

5ony

5ony said:

@AyeHaley I actually really dug the original design for the gamepad, too. The way it looked was just so... nice, streamlined, and very rectangular and tablet like. And I do love circle pads.

But after a bit of thought, I realized that the added girth was for ergonomics, and that the sticks provide the click-in button essential for multiplatform games that a circle pad probably wouldn't have been able to pull of (at least as easily, I suppose).

And to stay on topic, I realize where the comparisons to Metroid Prime Hunters are coming from. But as Shambo said, Moon is in the style of an old-school FPS. Think more Doom and such, with only some light Metroid-y elements. And with that said, I'm kind of doubting a multiplayer mode.

Falk_Sturmfels

Falk_Sturmfels said:

I have the original DS-Version and played it two hours. I didn´t stop because its bad, i just had many other games to finish. I wanted to come back to Moon, but now i will wait until March/April and get the new version.

Volmun

Volmun said:

huh cool i actually sed this recently "I was always tempted by Mood for DS but never got around to getting it. Someone told me it was similer to Metroid id realy like to see it on the 3DS (and mabe a 3DS remake of the 1st?)" lol sed that on the 15th Just used the QR code the 3D Is really nice