Nintendo Download: 10th October (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Pokémon, retro sports, water racing, lots of zombies and more

It's Nintendo Download time, North America, with a certain Game Freak title dominating attention this time around. There are some other offerings, retro and new, to consider, including two(!) zombie-themed games on Nintendo's handhelds. Let's stop blabbering and get on with it, shall we?

Wii U Virtual Console

GOLF (Nintendo, $4.99) — Oddly, this original golf title from the NES doesn't appear to have been released on the Wii Virtual Console, so it makes its — much anticipated? — return on the Wii U Virtual Console. It has two player options and delivers what the title promises: it's golf. We'll hit the Links while wearing some tartan trousers and let you know what we think.

Tennis (Nintendo, $4.99) — This is a title that did arrive on the Wii Virtual Console, and like its golfing brethren serves up a simple, uncomplicated 8-bit version of the sport; we'll hit the courts once again, while you can check out our original Wii Virtual Console Tennis review.

3DS eShop

Aqua Moto Racing 3D (Zordix AB, $5.99) — For Nintendo gamers deprived of a new Wave Race title, this is certainly one that may grab the eye. With plenty of Cups and tracks, Download Play and StreetPass functionality it's full of promise, though in our Aqua Moto Racing 3D review we encountered some issues with choppy performance. Zordix has stated that this is an updated version with smoother gameplay and improved physics.

Escape From Zombie City (Tom Create, $3.99) — You're a lone soldier left in the streets that have been overrun by a zombie apocalypse; while that sounds rather generic, this top-down action shooter does look relatively fun. It features both a Story and Endless mode, so we'll gear up and bring you a review soon.

3DS Retail Downloads

Pokémon X & Y (Nintendo, $39.99 each) — It finally arrives on 12th October, a title about gathering creatures and exploring a vast land that's been accumulating a lot of hype in recent months. A new generation in one of the game industry's most popular franchises, gamers will first have to choose whether to pick up X or Y — or both, potentially — before the serious business begins of picking starters (new and first-gen) for the journey. We imagine many will be very tempted by these titles, and we feel that the new features and ideas, alongside established norms for the series, make it a must have for fans and newcomers. Check out our Pokémon X & Y review for the full lowdown.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (Atlus, $29.99) — Released at physical retail way back in 2011, this title's arrival on the 3DS eShop may make it more immediately accessible and tempting to more gamers. It deserves the attention, too, as our recommendation in our Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked review makes clear.

Super Black Bass 3D (Rising Star Games, $19.95)

DSiWare

Zombie Blaster (Enjoy Gaming, 500 Nintendo Points) — The zombie theme continues on DSiWare — the undead platform? — with this survival FPS, with 12 levels and three different weapons, as well as the option to play in co-op. We'll try to avoid becoming zombie food long enough to bring you a review.

That's your lot this week, North America, so let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (331 votes)

GOLF (Wii U Virtual Console)

Tennis (Wii U Virtual Console)

Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop)

Escape From Zombie City (3DS eShop)

Pokémon X & Y (3DS retail download)

40%

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS retail download)

Super Black Bass 3D (3DS retail download)

Zombie Blaster (DSiWare)

Nothing for me this week

49%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

Bah, getting retail version of Pokemon, so nothing for me this week.

Although I wish that Nintendo would just release A Link to the Past on the Wii U eShop here in North America. I've never had an opportunity to play it as of yet, and would like some context to put A Link Between Worlds in.

Kevin

Kevin said:

Haven't played Golf in years and am surprised it never hit the Wii VC.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

More Wii U VC stuff is cool and all, but were GOLF and Tennis really considered priorities? "Damn, we gotta get those games out today before the rioting starts." I hope the 20 whole dollars those two games make provide a little incentive for Nintendo to release some more games that people want to play. Like, say, that one game about the guy in green that has a sequel coming out next month.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Same as Captain_Balko. But I already have AlttP for my Wii. I won't replay it before the new one. I have enough trying to beat White 2 before tackling X/Y!

SavageGM

SavageGM said:

Maybe Nintendo has forgotten that the 3DS has a virtual console too? This has officially become a joke.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

It'll be a rough week for any devs publishing alongside X & Y. I'm just picking those up at retail, so no DLing for me this week. Still working on Rune Factory 4 too....

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Retail Pokemon for me, but Escape from Zombie City looks like stupid fun. So I will patiently wait for that review.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

you almost gave me an aneurism with the pokemon thing. I was like "wait that's today?!?!" but then I remembered you guys post upcoming releases instead of past releases :P

TonyBoySP

TonyBoySP said:

I still don't understand the VC strategy of Nintendo... Having such a rich library of NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy Advance and GameCube games (and many of those first party unreleased games on VC) and they still gave us one or two per week... and from the early NES era...

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@ThomasBW84
Super Black Bass 3D - $19.95
Zombie Blaster - $4.99
Escape From Zombie City - $3.99
SMT: DS: Overclocked - $29.99
Pokémon X / Y - $39.99 per version ($79.98 for both versions)

Eisenbolan

Eisenbolan said:

We need yet another fishing game? It seems every other week there is another. Zombie games. I am shocked the DSIware game costs more.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

Purchasing Aqua Moto Racing 3D, Escape from Zombie City today; Pokémon X /Y at midnight going into Saturday.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I need revenge of the Gator. NES Tennis is Ok but Super Tennis is much better for the SNES

Mrclaycoat

Mrclaycoat said:

Tennis and golf...for $4.99 each...on a console that needs to impress potential buyers and keep their current players happy...yup that checks out :)

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

Maybe some Escape from Zombie City when I know more about it. Getting my son Pokemon for Christmas and since I have never played them before, it will be my inaguaral outing when I play one of his copies. Assuming he lets me :p.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@ThomasBW84 Yeah... I looked on eShop for this.

Solomon's Key (3DS VC) had a different price on Nintendo's website as well, than it did on the eShop.

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

Getting Pokemon X retail so nothing for me. I am curious about SMT though if I pick it up, it'll also be retail.

Savino

Savino said:

Happy pokemons fans are happy!

Nothing for me this week, thanks heavens!!! I can´t stop playing GTA Online!

ddbangsy

ddbangsy said:

Please give us Super Mario Kart.....along with some N64 and Gamecube classics ;)

HotRodimus

HotRodimus said:

Golf and Tennis on the Wii U VC? My hopes of getting FF4/6 and Chrono Trigger anytime soon takes a hit. Wii U VC will never come close to the Wii VC. Where are the GBA and othe console games Nintendo?

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

I will be enjoying Mario Kart on the Wii for free this week. Nothing else really appeals.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

a dead Wii U week.... at least Pokemon comes out on Saturday. Pretty much will be the only Nintendo game I play this week anyway so the lack of VC this week doesn't bother me too much.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

I'm getting Aqua Moto. Price is low enough to take the chance. Although, NL's review of this (if i remember correctly) came off as just passable. Its been a few months since then. I highly doubt there's gonna be that much of of a difference. Hope you guys do an updated review for a compare and contrast.
Edit: went back and looked at the review... 5/10 and just under 3 months to refine it. So, i'm going in with zero hope/expectations. Oh well, here's ho... oh, never mind.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

Since I'll be getting the physical version of Y, nothing for me this week. Of course, I can't see anyway for another game to take priority for Y for me this week (or many others after). :D

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Im getting the retail Pokemon Y. The box art is just so beautiful and will look perfect with the vast acumulation of Pokemon game boxes in my house.

OptimisticLink

OptimisticLink said:

I'll just be picking up Pokemon X at a retailer this Saturday along with my sister (she's a bigger Pokemon fan than I am).

Deadstanley

Deadstanley said:

I'm hoping the latest 3DS VC drought is because they don't want to release the same VC game on both WiiU and 3DS platforms and then have disgruntled customers who have to buy both at full price — because they are actively working on a cross-platform pricing model :D

Volmun

Volmun said:

@Captain_Balko A Link to the Past is a fantastic game I had the GBA remake/port? ither way fantastic if you ever do get a chance to play it i hope you enjoy it.

StraTTtheRipper

StraTTtheRipper said:

Darn, I was hoping D&D would have been discounted. Maybe it won't be since it took so long to get to the eshop to begin with...I mean I guess it's worth $15 for the online play it just seems a bit much for two games that are nearly twenty years old.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Is Zombie Blaster really DSiWare? I looked at screenshots on Nintendo's website, and the topscreens looked like 3DS's widescreen.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Mainer82: Nope cause the Wii U is region locked.

Nothing again this week but kinda expected that with Pokemon X and Y being released.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Thinking, "Are all Nintendo employees busy working on new games? Is that why Tennis & Golf from early NES are being released? Will we see more VC options once 3D Mario, DKCTF, Club Sports, and Wii UFit arrive?" Seems like Nintendo might need to hire some additional help to get them back up to speed.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

Oh my, lean pickings for this week. There may be some interesting fun to be had in retro golf and tennis, but got so many games to do right now that I'll pass. Pokemon will surely do well regardless though...

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Made Up Rumor: VC for both systems are currently nonexistent because Nintendo has a Zelda Wii U and Pokemon Wii U releasing on Dec 8th.

Jahir

Jahir said:

Getting the digital version of Pokémon Y, I want that game with me all the time.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Third week in a row w/o a single 3DS NES VC game! Damn you, Nintendo. On a side note, I'm grabbing physical copies of Pokemon X&Y, and I might take the plunge on Aqua Moto Racing 3D since they revised it.

@Nintendolife: Will you guys be reviewing the revised version of Aqua Moto Racing 3D?

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I had Golf on NES back in the day. I liked it then, but its definitely not worth $5 today. Once again, i'll be passing on stuff this week, but i will be getting the retail version of Pokemon Y at 12:01am Oct 12.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

I had high hopes for Super Mario Bros. 3 on either Virtual Console, as well as demos for Sonic Lost World (as I heard Japan was getting them). Shouldn't have had my hopes so high I guess.

thatguyEZ

thatguyEZ said:

Wish they would have put Overclocked on the eshop 5 months ago, it was sooooo hard finding a copy around here. But looking forward to downloading Pokemon Y, hopefully it'll be available at midnight.

Azaris

Azaris said:

nothing here. idk why nintendo cannot release vc games just because another game is avalible to dl...

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Another VC week in the crapper.
From what I can tell the 3DS shop didn't get ANY VC releases this week.
With a company like Nintendo and its rich library of titles there's really no excuse for how this service gets treated.
It feels like they are trying to starve us out so when they release Mario 3 or SNES Zelda we throw a party.

Tony_342

Tony_342 said:

Every week I keep thinking, "Surely this is the week that Jett Rocket 2 finally comes out." Wasn't that game submitted to Nintendo in August?

MyBodyIsReggie

MyBodyIsReggie said:

"Nothing For Me This Week"

Translation: I'll be picking up a retail copy of Pokémon, instead of downloading.

Deadstanley

Deadstanley said:

A lack of a 3DS VC release is not that surprising really. I've noticed that whenever Nintendo has a big retail release (in this case, Pokemon), they tend to not do much else digitally. I think they know that if their customers shell out for Pokemon 3DS X/Y that they are less likely to buy anything else from the 3DS eShop that week.

Same thing happened on WWHD release week. Nothing else noteworthy in the WiiU eShop.

KillerGBH

KillerGBH said:

lmao with these virtual failure games, we want good game not these. o well at least Pokemon is almost there. wooooootttt so near :)

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@mini-Z If that's really the case, of the people responding about half of them are going retail for Pokemon and the other half for digital Pokemon (this is also factoring in that not everyone that replied "nothing for this week" will be getting Pokemon). That's pretty close.

meltendo

meltendo said:

My take on the lack of 3DS Virtual Console games: Maybe Nintendo believes we only buy online titles on the week that they're released? They don't want anything competing with Pokemon X/Y for the next few weeks?

Pinecallado

Pinecallado said:

@Captain_Balko
I would love to download Pokemon X/Y, but the fact that its been about 3 years now and Nintendo stupidly still doesn't have a real account system for the 3ds prevents me from doing so. I don't understand why its so hard to set up a account system that's tied to your club nintendo account or something.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Getting Pokemon Y on the eShop along with a retail copy of X. I won't be getting the retail copies probably until Tuesday and I can't wait that long to play it.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Looks at all the Game Boy titles on the VC

Yup, we are totally starving right now ;)

Neko_Rukiafan

Neko_Rukiafan said:

@ScroogeMcLz Well it's not like there are hardly any, but when compared to the Wii's VC at this point in its life the 3DS and Wii U VC services are rather sad. :|

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Wiiware was also nonexistent (or new) at that time.

Also, look at what happened to the Wii's VC after a few years. So many games were released in two years that there were virtually (pun intended) nothing left

jhuhn

jhuhn said:

I'll just buy the new Pokémon game at a retail store, since it will take up so much space on the SD card.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Straight up garbage, yet again... It's almost as if Nintendo is purposely digging up the most undesirable, unwanted, lost and forgotten old crap it's got in the cupboard, in some vein and misguided attempt to brand these digital monstrosities as "classics".

Nintendo, you have a spanning portfolio of some of the most amazing retro goodies the industry has ever known, yet you continue to drizzle us with these abysmal 8-bit horrors... You'd really have to go out of your way to do worse than what you've given us these last few months, and yet somehow I get the feeling this junk is just the tip of the iceberg.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

@JaxonH Agreed! I try to write them polite e-mails and talk of the VC service during Club Nintendo surveys, but it's BAD. If they'd like to resurrect an oldie I could go for some Duck Hunt with Wiimote-as-zapper support or Gyromite with a touchscreen ROB or something, but these are not their greatest hits. You're right, it's like they are purposefully putting out their weakest offerings first and Capcom seems to be the ONLY other company supporting the VC on a regular basis. While some fans like to downplay the service I think it could be a big hit for them if they'd listen to their fan base more often and release titles that are in more demand. With decades of material to pull from this is just plain sad.

JustinH

JustinH said:

Not that any of you guys are going to get Golf, but worth remembering that the vastly-superior-but-still-really-dated-and-not-great NES Open will likely be along before too long.

Williaint

Williaint said:

There's a good chance I'm going to get Pokemon Y Retail. If not, I'll download it.

faint

faint said:

When I said I would like to see vc games on the wii u that are not on the wii vc ......golf was not what I had in mind.

Discostew

Discostew said:

We'll be getting Wii Sports Club relatively soon, so I find it ridiculous for Nintendo to offer two NES sports games of mediocre quality to be part of the Wii U VC instead of something more unique.