Nintendo Download: 20th June (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Luigi, Wario, tanks fighting bugs, X Zone craziness and much more

It's that time again, North America, when your Nintendo systems groan under the weight of new download offerings cramming up virtual servers. That's not always strictly accurate, but is this week, with plenty of new titles available on Wii U and 3DS, with a sequel even gracing DSiWare. There are some much-anticipated games in the lineup, too, so let's get right to it.

Wii U Retail Download

Game & Wario (Nintendo, $39.99) — Wario makes his Wii U debut, but rather than dishing up dozens of anarchic 3-second tricks — though they have some presence — he serves up 16 mini-games to put the GamePad through its paces. The games work for single or multiplayer, and with a lower retail price Nintendo is clearly targeting this as an affordable party game. Keep your eyes peeled for our upcoming review on 21st June, while this will be available to download from midnight on 23rd June.

Wii U Retail DLC

New Super Luigi U (Nintendo, $19.99) — A significant "Year of Luigi" arrival and, perhaps more importantly, a big release to tide over Wii U owners. This eShop title will function as DLC for New Super Mario Bros. U before arriving as a standalone retail release next month, providing over 80 levels with Luigi as the star and the inclusion of a practically invincible Nabbit in multiplayer. It'll feature redesigned stages to suit Luigi's abilities — including a flutter jump — and looks like typical 2D platforming fun. We'll wear some green and check this out for a review very soon.

Wii U Virtual Console

Mario Bros. (Nintendo, $4.99) — Now we're really kicking it old school, as this NES port of the original Mario Bros. arcade makes its appearance on the Wii U Virtual Console. Luigi fans should know that this one was the green one's first appearance, offering up single screen challenges to flip over and kick plenty of foes. This one's perhaps a little dated now, but we'll get kitted out for a trip into the pipes for an updated review; until then, you can see what we said in our Wii Virtual Console Mario Bros. review.

Wrecking Crew (Nintendo, $4.99) — This NES platform puzzler makes its third Virtual Console appearance, as it recently landed on the 3DS eShop's platform. It provides fairly standard 8-bit fare, but multiplayer and a level editor — which includes the option to save your creations on the VC — add a little extra depth. We'll see how the Wii U version stacks up, but until then you can check out our 3DS Virtual Console Wrecking Crew review.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discount

Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation, $4.99 until 26th June, normally $14.99)

3DS eShop

BUGS vs. TANKS! (Level-5, $7.99) — The second of three Guild02 titles coming to the 3DS eShop, this contribution comes from Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune. Footage to date has shown what looks like a basic action game as tanks fight — you guessed it — big bugs, but the official blurb promises local wireless co-op for up to four players, StreetPass implementation and a large variety of tank parts for customisation. We'll don our helmets and charge into battle for a review.

Farming Simulator 3D (Focus Home Interactive, $9.99) — Originally released as a retail title in Europe, this has found a new publisher and a home as an eShop-only release in North America. It's exactly what it sounds like, as you drive tractors and do farm-type things. We'll dig out our green tweed hat and start cultivating our review.

3DS Virtual Console

Defenders of Oasis (SEGA, $3.99) — The collection of Game Gear titles on the 3DS eShop continues to grow with this Japanese-style RPG, where you're tasked with recruiting allies and taking down an evil wizard. Sounds like a normal day in the office, and we'll let you know how the quest goes in a review, soon.

Tails Adventure (SEGA, $4.99) — It's inevitable that sidekicks get spin-off games of their own, and this Game Gear example sees Sonic's trusty assistant embark on 12 missions to gather mechanical parts for a mysterious machine. We'll see whether Tails is up to going solo in our upcoming review.

Sonic Blast (SEGA, $3.99) — This arrived on the European Virtual Console last year and finally makes its way to North America, this incorporated 2D platforming with an attempt at 3D rendering. The visuals and some cramped areas are a letdown, but this is nevertheless a competent Game Gear title worth consideration for fans of the franchise, as our Sonic Blast review explains.

Mega Man 6 (Capcom, $4.99) — Capcom delivers the final part of the "classic" NES Mega Man series on the 3DS Virtual Console. While the Blue Bomber was perhaps getting repetitive on the NES at this stage, this title does nevertheless serve up the familiar moves along with the Rush Adaptors, while stages have alternate routes. Not necessarily the best in the series, but a decent game regardless; check out our Mega Man 6 review for the full lowdown.

3DS Retail Download

Project X Zone (Namco Bandai, $34.99) — This mashup action RPG features iconic characters from the Capcom, SEGA and Namco stables, and lists Monolith Soft as a developer. When announced it seemed unlikely that this would ever come West, but it arrives on 25th June; we'll be jumping into the madness to bring you a review.

LEGO Legends of Chima: Laval's Journey (Warner Bros., $29.99) — Available from 25th June.

Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (SEGA, $39.99)

3DS eShop Discount

Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo (Pixel Toys, $3.99 until 8th July, normally $7.99)

DSiWare

Rhythm Core Alpha 2 (SoftEgg, 1000 Nintendo Points) — Arriving a little under two years after Rhythm Core Alpha, this DSiWare sequel promises a large number of enhancements to help you produce better music. There's a live performance feature, while MIDI tracks can be transferred to SD card, and a long list of features designed to appeal to gaming musicians. We'll get our groove on to bring you a review soon.

So there's a lengthy list to choose from this time around. Let us know what you'll be buying in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (306 votes)

Game & Wario (Wii U retail download)

New Super Luigi U (Wii U retail DLC)

36%

Mario Bros. (Wii U Virtual Console)

Wrecking Crew (Wii U Virtual Console)

Little Inferno (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

BUGS vs. TANKS! (3DS eShop)

Farming Simulator 3D (3DS eShop)

Defenders of Oasis (3DS Virtual Console)

Tails Adventure (3DS Virtual Console)

Sonic Blast (3DS Virtual Console)

Mega Man 6 (3DS Virtual Console)

Project X Zone (3DS retail download)

LEGO Legends of Chima: Laval's Journey (3DS retail download)

Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (3DS retail download)

Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Rhythm Core Alpha 2 (DSiWare)

Nothing for me this week

15%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

If it had been the arcade version of Mario Bros. I'd be on my way home from work now to download it.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Definitely getting New Super Luigi U, and considering getting Wrecking Crew and/or Mario Bros. since I own both on Wii VC.

iphys

iphys said:

Super Little Acorns for me. Aww, no StreetPass DLC yet? Oh, and the retail release for New Super Luigi U doesn't arrive for 2 months in NA.

Emaan

Emaan said:

New Super Luigi U for me as a download, and I'll be picking up Game & Wario at retail Sunday.

therick112

therick112 said:

Disappointed Shantae got moved back, but this is a killer week to make up for that! Picking up Mega Man 6, Bugs vs Tank, and possibly Defenders of Oasis.

Sonicfan11589

Sonicfan11589 said:

I got Game and Wario yesterday in the mail, so far it is fun. Got it for a few dollars cheaper and obviously sooner thanks to a 3rd party seller on amazon.com

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

I'm getting both Game & Wario (already paid off at Gamestop) and Super Luigi U in physical copy form. I would like to snatch up Little Inferno for just five bucks... I'll have to do some financial gymnastics to pull that off, though. Lol.

I really wish I could put just $5 in my account. Nintendo, get on that!

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Nothing for me, my brother is downloading the Luigi DLC and I might pick up Defender's of Oasis but not yet.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

A solid week, I'm sadly not interested in anything. Except Wii U games, but I don't have one. :P
But, Little Inferno is only $5?! Everyone should buy that, I've played through it with a friend and it's worth the full price.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo, Tails Adventure and maybe Sonic Blast too for me this week and I'm getting Project X Zone at retail.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

Here are the games I'm getting:

3DS:

• BUGS vs. TANKS (eShop exclusive)
  • Defenders of Oasis (VC)
  • Mega Man 6 (VC)
  • Project X Zone (retail download via eShop)
  • Sonic Blast (VC)
  • Tails Adventure (VC)

Wii U:

• Game & Wario (retail download via eShop)
  • Mario Bros. (VC)
  • New Super Luigi U (DLC)
  • Wrecking Crew (VC)
Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Super Luigi U and Mega Man 6.

Edit: Might actually get Super Acorns 3D as well since it's on sale.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Good week!....too bad I'm pretty sure I'm waiting on the retail Luigi U...I guess... I don't know...does it tie to your New Super Mario Bros U save in any way by the way?

Being a Sonic fan, I think I'm going for Tails Adventure this week. I played some of it on Adventure DX a while back but was too busy with Adventure (for whatever number playthrough) too spend much time on it.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Nothing for me. I just bought the two Legend of Zelda games. Getting Project X Zone physically.

Ninjuggernaut

Ninjuggernaut said:

@Prof_Clayton I couldn't agree more. If anyone hasn't tried Little Inferno yet you must get it now. It has brilliant commentary on game culture, and its totally worth the price of $5 admission.

TimeGuy

TimeGuy said:

I'll certainly be getting Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo. It's half off and the reviews are generally positive about it.

TheXboxHero

TheXboxHero said:

I want to get Game and Wario and Project X Zone so bad! Those games look like so much fun!

Ambassador_Kong

Ambassador_Kong said:

Anyone know what happened to Dungeons and Dragons? I guess the Wii U will get a six month late port and Capcom will wonder why no one buys it.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

This is a week when I'd like multiple choices on what to buy. Nice job Nintendo, best week in a long time. This should have been last week, during the week of E3.

Little Inferno sale has me for sure, loved World of Goo. And reminder to try the Project X Demo since the game comes out Sunday!

Waiting for Luigi to go retail... I will not buy DLC. No exceptions.

JayRydah

JayRydah said:

Luigi U for me tonight n mario bros as well.would love to get wario n game but all in time . Nintendo has a tight hold on my wallet this year.

Edit: I didnt realize little inferno was only $5 so im def getting that..all though im not so sure how much fun a game about burning stuff will be.ill find out soon enough

Ambassador_Kong

Ambassador_Kong said:

@Fancykong

Yet, Nintendo was advertising the release date of Tuesday. Oh well, it will come out late, no one will buy it, and Nintendo will wonder why 3rd parties don't support them.

Rattle86

Rattle86 said:

Any mexican buddy knows how many Pesos will the NSLU DLC cost? Nintendo exchange rates are weird

Ambassador_Kong

Ambassador_Kong said:

@divinealpha

So, Nintendo is incompetent and can't get the game released on the same day as everyone else. Everyone with another console will have already bought it by the time finds the time to "do their job" and the game will sell poorly. The take away for Capcom is "Nintendo is incompetent, let's not release our games on the platform."

Nintendo keeps saying they "get it," but they keep proving that they don't.
Oh yeah, Sonic Blast is now on the 3DS, a year after it was posted as coming soon in the 3DS eShop. Not to mention it was supposed to be part of the 8-bit summer release series, which it never was, and Nintendo never bothered to explain why. Great way to run a business (into the ground).

Birdman

Birdman said:

Probably the Acorns discount, then BvT for me, but considering the list of games I have to play and the discounts that appeared for the Guild01 games, I'll probably wait for that to go down in price.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

Wow. This looks like a great week. Sadly, I have no money to get anything, though. If I did, I'd probably get Game & Wario (duh, I crowdfarted them), Project X Zone, and Bugs vs Tanks. (It's Keiji Inafune, how can you NOT get it?)

Anyone that is considering Little Inferno, though, needs to pick it up! Fun little game, and I'd say $5 is a steal!

Shanksta

Shanksta said:

@Ambassador_Kong I get where you're coming from. I was waiting for D & D as well, but at least I get Luigi U and Game And Wario this week to play. Hopefully it will be soon but I don't see how getting upset over it will change anything. Plus the Game Gear games look solid if you have a 3ds. I do agree that this drought is pretty lame though.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

For a moment I thought Game and Wario would be downloadable today. Most likely I will be getting the disc. For Luigi I will get the download after June 30th, to make sure the 40 coins add up for the next Club Nintendo year.

And I am loving those discounts, as both titles interest me. Keep the sales up, Nintendo!

Eisenbolan

Eisenbolan said:

Is Bugs Vs Tanks an action game or a Advanced Wars type game? An AW I will get it.

I am getting Defenders of Oasis.

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

I'm happy we're getting Projext X Zone in 3 weeks. All my time goes to AC & FE at the moment.

Anyway, this is a great week for NA!

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

I mean: Super Luigi U. And I'm intrigued by Super Acorn Turbo Power, or whatever it's called. Quel semaine...

bahooney

bahooney said:

I'm beyond pissed that the DLC for the Streetpass Mii Plaza still isn't out in America. I don't get why it would be released in every territory BUT America. Otherwise, radical week.

SirMario

SirMario said:

@divinealpha Good choice. I'm only able to get Super Little Acorn as I don't have much time for gaming. I am a hunchback 28 years old gamer who has found the great outdoor more pleasant lately; it is summer time after all! Cant forget about work!

@everyone Have a great summer gaming!

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Wow, Nintendo is going gang buster this week with the e-shop. A bit overwhelming.

I'll download New Super Luigi U when I finish New Super Mario Bros. U which will be a month and a half at least if I get time to play, Bugs vs Tanks and Project x Zone when I complete some of my backed up games.

The only game I'll download immediately is Game and Wario since I been dying to play it before the Wii U was even released for sale.

Deadstanley

Deadstanley said:

I wanted to get that D&D: Mystara game, but it's delayed or something. It was released on XBLA, PSN and Steam, but the WiiU target was missed. The Nintendo NA site kept fluctuating it's release date between Jun 18 and TBD since Tuesday.

Does anyone know what's going on with that title?

Ambassador_Kong

Ambassador_Kong said:

@Shanksta
It's not about the drought, it is about perception. Missing the release date for a release from a major company (Capcom) is extremely unprofessional. Nintendo is already under the gun with Xbox ONE (now DRM free) and PS4 just around the corner. If Nintendo wants to remain competitive then they have to stop making rookie mistakes.

I personally don't care one way or another about DD, but the fact that they couldn't make the release date suggests that there is something seriously wrong behind the scenes.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Looks like a big week for Wii U. Wish I had one :P Since I only have a 3Ds, nothing really for me. May get Tails Adventure though...seems interesting from reviews I saw on Youtube. I still have to buy Mighty Switch Force 2, though, that might take top priority.

Ambassador_Kong

Ambassador_Kong said:

@bahooney The new Mii Plaza seems to be causing a lot of trouble over in Europe with cashes. Maybe we are lucky to be left out. Still, it amazes me that Nintendo, in 2013, is unable to communicate with the customers.

Ambassador_Kong

Ambassador_Kong said:

@Keldo_Sword.

Agreed. I have no interest in the FPS of the week console, but that doesn't change the fact that Nintedo is competing with Sony and Microsoft for gamers. If they can't do something as simple as meeting a street date for a digital download, well.....?

I criticize because I care.

Ambassador_Kong

Ambassador_Kong said:

@Deadstanley
They get everything right with the 3DS (except the whole Sonic Blast coming soon for over a year), so their complete Tone Deafness on the Wii U is very shocking. They said they learned their lesson with the 3DS, then they made the exact same mistakes with the WiiU.

Depressing.

Arock

Arock said:

I'm sad there is no Chronicles of Mystara this week. Not that this is a bad week., it's a great week. Can't wait to play New Super Luigi U. Also picking up Mega Man 6

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Was planning on picking up a GG title, but if Bugs vs. Tanks is coming out I'm definitely getting me some of that.

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

Okay, $5 for Tails Adventure and Mega Man 6 seems fair. But the same price for repetitive, one-dimensional early 8-bit era titles like Mario Bros. and Wrecking Crew? Really??

Also, what's up with full price for the essentially outdated Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games title? Would they expect us to pay $60 for Madden '13 on Wii U after the newer versions come out?

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Defender of Oasis is related to Beyond Oasis??

I will download all GameGear games, but not soon, one by one, hehe.

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

I'll be getting Game & Wario, some e-shop games, and vc. More releases on a Sunday? I'm so busy on Sundays :(

TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold said:

I haven't kept to much of a pulse on the 3DS VC. Are MM 1-5 also there? If so I may have to get all six on my 3DS :)

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

OMG I never thought I'd see Farming Simulator in NA. It was out in EU for ages. Is it the same series as the Farming Simulator series on PC or is it something different? I have FS 2013 on PC. I was actually waiting for the Vita version which is supposed to coming 'sometime in the next two months.' If it's the same series, I wonder if both handheld versions have the same features. If they're the exact same, I'd rather just get it on the Vita since it's going to be the same price and I'd get a bigger screen.

I wish I could get Acorns though. I want it and the sale price is great, but I already bought a game last week so I can't get anything else for a while :(

Wanderhope

Wanderhope said:

Will be getting New Super Mario Luigi U sometime soon, I am sure... but I would like to finish collecting everything in the main game first.

KillerGBH

KillerGBH said:

woohoo for luigi U but booooo for dungeon dragon who was supposed to be release on 18th june? what a joke roflmao!

DeQuimet

DeQuimet said:

Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo... Why are all games going on discount just after I buy them... Great game though!

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

I'll get New Super Luigi U once I get some money on the eShop. I'll get a physical copy of Game & Wario.

Tony_342

Tony_342 said:

"Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation, $4.99 until 26th June, normally $14.99)"

I'm pretty sure Little Inferno is normally $9.99. It had a permanent price drop not long after launch. But, yeah, everybody should at least try it out for only $4.99. I bought that game on Christmas day, and we just happened to get about a foot of snow that day. I live in Texas, so it's not often that we get that much snow. Actually, the last time we got snow around here was several years before that. Little Inferno was the perfect game to be playing to "stay warm." :)

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

Holy... I thought this was an amazing week before I reread it and saw that Project X Zone came out today... my poor wallet!

umegames

umegames said:

Game and wario, new super luigi and project x zone i want. Man i really wish the eshop fro 3ds and wii shared the same dollars....

SuperiorTech

SuperiorTech said:

Seems like a lot of people are happy with this week. Still waiting for Super Mario Bros. 3 to play on my 3DS.

3DSfan134

3DSfan134 said:

I was thinking of getting the new game gear games on the 3DS but not enough money for me so nothing for me this week.

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

2 eShop games & 4 VC games? YEEHA! Can we PLEASE get this much action on the 3DS eShop on a regular basis? Anyone willing to pick up 'Tail's Adventure' is gonna get a pleasant surprise

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

Got a pre-order on Project X Zone Limited Edition... So next Tuesday cannot come sooner!

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Another huge week! I grabbed Mega Man 6, all 3 Game Gear games, and Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo. 2 great weeks in a row, wow. I'm looking forward to what next week brings... Maybe more of the previously announced Game Gear games? Also, getting Project X-Zone via retail.

StraTTtheRipper

StraTTtheRipper said:

This is a pretty good week for games, DLC and discounts. Why did the Wii U get skipped for the Dungeons and Dragons game? I just can't figure out why Nintendo can't get on the ball anymore. They need to step it up a notch, this is a perfectly good reason why 3rd party publishers are backing out. Anyway, does anyone know if the Wii U version of D&D will have online play?

hydeks

hydeks said:

I choose Project X Zone, but I will be getting it retail. Mega Man 6 I will probably download, and Super Luigi U I will wait till retail release.

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

"Tails Adventure" is my favorite Game Gear Sonic title, so I got it. I'd highly recommend it, it's a pretty good, and underrated "Metroidvania" style game. Also the restore feature comes in handy. (No more writing down passwords.)
My only gripe is, I think it costs more then the Japanese release price...

Wilford111

Wilford111 said:

I'm totally getting Game & Wario, and I'll wait until reviews come out for Bugs vs Tanks.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

I just downloaded Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo to take advantage of the discount. I'll try it out tomorrow to see if it was worth it.

Relias

Relias said:

Defenders of Oasis and have Project X Zone Reserved on Amazon.. my body is ready.. nuff said..

LightSuitGuy

LightSuitGuy said:

Of course the one time I leave to go on vacation they finally put Sonic Blast on the eShop!

Add in the fact that my 3DS hates any Wi-Fi signal other than my home's and that makes it even more annoying!

I will get Sonic Blast!... Eventually...

Rod64

Rod64 said:

Damn it! Why is the Little Inferno discount so short! I don't have a Wii U yet!

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

ACK! my wallet! too many good things coming at once! luigi U, Project X, Game and Wario...

Windy

Windy said:

I picked up Farming simulator 3d. It's really neat but I have no clue what im doing. It doesn't seem to have much of tutorial. If you ever wanted to operate Farming Machinery here's your chance :) I did manage to load a full trailer of what I assume is wheat and drive it across town to drop off spot. There seems to be a living breathing Town its cool

DavidH

DavidH said:

See you guys are getting SNES Pilot Wings this week, not sure what else, hope PW makes it to the Europe store too.