Watch Dogs Confirmed For Release On Wii U

Posted by Orla Madden

Though Ubisoft insists we now call it Watch_Dogs

While plenty of Sony gamers are drooling over the announcement of the Playstation 4, some good news has come to light for Nintendo fans - in particular, Wii U owners. You read the headline right, Watch_Dogs is coming to the Wii U.

We reported last week that the title was rumoured for release on the console, according to leaked promotional material. Following the Sony presentation tonight, Ubisoft provided a press release confirming that Watch_Dogs will indeed be making its way to the Wii U; there's no confirmation of a release date yet, however.

You can see an excerpt of the official press release below.

As demonstrated onstage today at PlayStation Meeting 2013, Watch_Dogs’ ambitious scope illustrates that Ubisoft is once again at the forefront of new technologies, giving freedom to development teams to create unprecedented entertainment experiences. Development of Watch_Dogs is being led by Ubisoft Montreal, with support from Ubisoft’s Bucharest, Paris, Quebec and Reflections studios. Receiving more than 83 awards and nominations at E3 2012 where it was first announced, Watch_Dogs blends cutting-edge technologies and sophisticated game design into a realistic, living open world.

In Watch_Dogs, players will experience the realities of living in our fully connected society, where individuals and corporations are at risk of exposure by our ever-increasing reliance on networks and technology.

Players will assume the role of Aiden Pearce, a new type of vigilante who, with the help of his smartphone, will use his ability to hack into Chicago’s central operating system (ctOS) and control almost every element of the city. Aiden will be able to tap into the city’s omnipresent security cameras, download personal information to locate a target, control systems such as traffic lights or public transportation to stop a chase, and more. The city of Chicago is now the ultimate weapon.

...Watch_Dogs will be available on PS4 at launch, along with its release on the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the Wii U™ system from Nintendo and Windows PC.

So, what do you think of this news, Wii U owners?

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Oh yeah! The only good looking game on PS4 coming to Wii U!
Okay, so PS4 just got 30% more lame. :P

hydeks

hydeks said:

Cool that this game is coming to the Wii U, in needs more games. PS4 is pretty impressive, but no console pics? That sucks, and I think the Wii U Gamepad may be more impressive to me.

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

Sweet! eShop download for me if it isn't too big. Looks like a brilliant game!

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

I can't see how better graphics will improve the gameplay, but I can certainly see how the gamepad would. And from what I saw of the PS4 conference the graphical leap is, unsurprisingly, diminishing. I don't see lamenting the graphical difference this upcoming generation as much as I did this last.

hamispink

hamispink said:

I assume the PS4 version would only be better in that the world might be more vibrant. They could have more going on at once, like more people in the streets or animals running about. As long as the Wii U version has the same amount of content, and it performs well with consistent frame-rate, i'm sure it'll be great.

edit - of course, the PS4 version could also be better if the proposed social aspects actually enhance the experience. Nintendo is changing the way you interact with games, while Sony is changing the way that you experience games.

Shining-Void

Shining-Void said:

I'm sourly dissapointed it's using yet another dual shock. I'll wait 3 years before, buying one. Mainly since JRPG's tend to end up on playstation. I might pick up this game though. Even though it's yet another shooter.

Airola

Airola said:

@hamispink
Yes, a developer of the game told that PS4 version will have everything "more" than the PS3 version. More people walking around and stuff like that. The city with its people will be more immersive. I wonder how much "more" of everything there will be compared to Wii U version. I'm quite interested in seeing how the Gamepad will be used. It's definitely a good selling point on Wii U if it's implemented well enough.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Excellent news for Nintendo. I wonder if the PS4 launch could be similar to that of the Wii U multiplatform games coming out for it a few weeks (or months) after the first ones.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

A good sign for the Wii U.

PS4 video recording transfer all the time, cloud based gaming for instant demos and some similar (but undoubtedly more laggy) features of Gamepad BUT online. Pretty distinct from Wii U and interesting, but not many people have vitas to take advantage or get Wii U Gamepad asynchronous pay features going on it.

JayRydah

JayRydah said:

Well what do you kno..ubisoft kinda coming thru on this 1. Still mad bout rayman but was totally hoping this came out for Wii U. I hope they make good use of the gamepad and not just throw a map on there even tho that would be fine n all..I just imagine the game pad being a high tech hacking machine. Cant wait. 1st day purchase here.

gsnap

gsnap said:

Pretty cool. As many people have pointed out before, the Gamepad is a perfect match for this game. Even if the PS4 version looks superior (which it may not, being an early next gen game developed to work on current gen tech), with proper Gamepad implementation, the Wii U version will be the definitive version to own.

sonic_brawler95

sonic_brawler95 said:

I'm still not sure what to think about the PS4, but I know I'll still stick close to my Wii U since I really enjoy Nintendo exclusives. Seeing Watch_Dogs coming to Wii U is a great thing since I believe the Wii U still needs some major third-party support. I hope this game turns out well and makes good use of the GamePad. :)

Gigagator

Gigagator said:

I watched the entire PlayStation Meeting (out of curiosity, of course - my heart is with Nintendo), but the biggest excitement I've got all night was reading this news.

Just give me somewhere to preorder this and you have my money Ubisoft.

Nirosmir

Nirosmir said:

Despite Rayman Legends delay, Im glad to hear Watch Dogs is coming to Wii U. Destiny is something im looking forward too, and hopefully it comes to Wii U as well...

mostro328

mostro328 said:

destiny is coming to wiiu, watch_dogs will be funner with the wiipad, im sorry graphics dont make the game for me, ps4 showed me nothing impressive cloud gaming remoteplay sounds like lots of $ to me

McGruber

McGruber said:

I will be buying this game. I think having several key 3rd party games released day and date with the other versions will be very important in its growth. Nintendo needs to beef up the install base with some AAA games first, though.

gavn64

gavn64 said:

cant wait for e3 to find out more about it.... on wiiu of course oh and mario 3d and smash bros. nintendo rules oh and try this on for size sony "oh boy yet another killzone" and killzone isnt even a good series ha.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Delays Rayman. Makes up for it with sales, exclusive content and early portion of rayman, and announces Watch Dogs for Wii U. Yeah, already making me feel better, Ubi :)

Usagi-san

Usagi-san said:

I saw this on a forum and didn't know what it was. I seriously thought it was a new Assassin's Creed at first.

astroshamu

astroshamu said:

ya I dont get why they keep saying, With better graphics youll get a more fun game, Didnt agree with that, and ya more ram means more people on screen at once, which really doesnt matter to me because you can only really interact with one at a time

banacheck

banacheck said:

@gsnap
Incased some of you haven't noticed that Youtube Watch Dogs vid isn't running by the PC, it's the PS4 gameplay.

astroshamu

astroshamu said:

Excited for ps4 but not 100% on board their social thing, Probably get this on wii u unless theres big features for ps4

DrSlump

DrSlump said:

It depends on what they will develop for wii u. If it will be a simple porting, with scaled down graphics, obviously, i'll get it for pc or (if i even buy it) next gen console (ps4 or xbox720).

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Score! C'mon Nintendo, secure a good third party position for before the rest of next gen consoles arrive. BTW the Wii U is definitely next gen if the Wii was same gen as PS3 and Xbox 360

rjejr

rjejr said:

I watched it all and every time some Sony honcho whispered under his breath - and also on PS3 - which happened at least 3 times, this, Diablo 3 and Destiny, I thought to myself - another potential Wii U game.

The Wii U may not get allthe PS4 games but it can certainly handle PS3.

Will-75

Will-75 said:

I'm gonna get this on Wii U , the PS-4 reveal was a let down I don't see any major leap over the PS-3 The graphics everyone makes such a big deal about are not much different over PS-3 on the PS-4 as well what I've read about xbox's new console I don't think Wii U has much to worry about with the right games I see Nintendo kicking-ass again this year, the 3DS has a stellar lineup of must-haves on the way starting in march I think the big N is shaping up to have an AWESOME year with both its consoles .

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

This isn't even coming out on Xbox 1080. I'm getting this for Wii U, if at all.

mch

mch said:

A WiiU buy for me, if the Game keeps what it promises incl. good gameplay and if the WiiU version is being made superior than the ps3 and Xbox.

Farmboy74

Farmboy74 said:

I'm adding this game to my ever growing games list now it's been officially announced at the PS4 reveal!!. If done right and gamepad controls implemented well, the Wii U version could be the best available.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

I find it funny that the interesting PS4 games are multi platform with the better ones, like this, being available on Wii U. Since I own a Wii U, why will I need a new console to play this game? The answer is, I wont.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I've been excited for this since E3, but at the same time, a tad cautious, as I remember Assassin's Creed looking utterly amazing in stage demos and stuff too.

I think it's going to be similar to games we saw at the start of this gen, such as Just Cause and Double Agent, where it looks a significant jump over the prior gen versions, but at the same time, it doesn't really look like a proper next gen title. When we look back 3 years from now, Watch Dogs won't be impressive, and it will be thought of as a pretty port of a last gen game (even though I know it's not a port, but if you're making the PS3 and 360 versions such a big part of your plan, it's going to show through).

Chrno-x

Chrno-x said:

Finally Ubisoft announced something that will apply to everyone, how I want that Ubi will not create a crap. This title from the beginning looks amazing in terms of graphics and gameplay. Good Job Ubisoft I can't wait to play this game on Wii U (or maybe new Xbox ;p).

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm interested in this game but it may be a tad too violent for my tastes, making cars crash realistically etc. But it does have some very interesting mechanics like taking money from that so called pro-life guy (which I would've given to the homeless Iraq War Veteran) so I'll have to see how I feel when it releases. Definitely a Wii U purchase if I do.

psycoticdev1l

psycoticdev1l said:

Too bad I'll probably get this for the PS4, unless the touchscreen on the Wii-U does something amazing.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Can't really see this version being comparable to the ps4 version. But I am curious as to how different it's gonna look.

PK_Wonder

PK_Wonder said:

This is definitely a Day 1 purchase for me. The PS4 version may be slightly graphically enhanced (but probably not enough for Wii U owners to complain about since it's coming to PS360 as well), but I think the GamePad has sooo much potential with this gem-in-the-making. I haven't been so hyped about a new IP in a couple of years (except perhaps count ZombiU).

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

Awesome! Glad that Ubisoft is still treating the Wii U with its big games (my disappointment with AC3 aside...). I heard that Miyamoto was impressed with Watch_Dogs (erk) at E3 lat year, and with all the talk of Nintendo courting 3rd parties, maybe their 'persuation' is actually paying-off? WIth this, and Platinum exclusives Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101...maybe Nintendo are a lot more dangerous than ever before?

DUH DUH DUUUUNNNN.

Whatever the case, the GamePad was MADE for Watch_Dogs. It'll be interesting to see the graphical differences between this and PS4...

Sun

Sun said:

@Kage_88 Is it coming to PS4? A graphical comparison would not be fair as I don't think they have developed any version fitting the PS4 unless there is a PC version and they are adapting it to PS4 capabilities.

Ubisoft is doing quite well on Wii U, wish the others did the same.

MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D said:

well I'll be getting it

on the wii u, gamepad features are gonna make this game even better. well done ubi soft

Ducutzu

Ducutzu said:

I am happy that this game will be available on the Wii U. Let's hope that the gameplay will be fun.

Given the choice between:

a) more particle effects on the Playstation 4 and
b) clever GamePad use on the Wii U,

...then I am definitely choosing the Wii U version.

I have to say that, after playing Zombi U, I felt that Assassins Creed 3 on Wii U was lacking something. In ZombiU, the GamePad added a very involving layer of strategy; for example, in managing your weapons and ammo before venturing in an unknown area.

MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D said:

why do people keep saying that the ps4 is way more powerfull than the wii u ?

I read on an official website that the ps4 will be more or less on par with the wii u

Airola

Airola said:

@sonic-doom
They CAN'T be on par with each other. The amount of memory alone makes all the difference. Sure, the machines can have graphics that are on par, but the memory allows a lot more stuff happen on screen and I'm sure PS4 versions run more smoothly. Like, for example, with Watch_Dogs I'm sure there will be much more people and cars driving around in the PS4 version, and of course it could allow more "hacking interaction" in wider areas. If the Wii U wants to handle that, its graphics have to be gimped. Or if they want to use the same quality graphics, they have to reduce the amount of stuff happening.

That's not exactly a huge thing though. It doesn't make the games overly different comparing to Wii U, but the machine is quite a lot more powerful which will be shown in games that need a huge amount of stuff happening in the game world all the time. But on games that don't need that kind of stuff, I think at least graphicswise the machines could be more on par.

MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D said:

I just watched the ps4 watchdogs demo, I didn't even know it was the ps4 version, I thought it was xbox 360 demo. I'm impressed with the launch line up of games, but NOTHING LOOKED TRULY NEXT GEN.

now I know they are only launch games and I'm sure we will see what the ps4 can really do later down the line.

BUT THE WII U IS ALSO STILL IN IT'S EARLY STAGES and the same rule applies, not to mention that we have already seen graphical enhancments over the ps3 and 360. Black ops 2, ninja gaiden 3, mass effect 3 all look a little better on the wii u.

There is no way that there will be this HUGE gap between ps4 and wii u garphics wise.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

PS4 IS a huge leap over Wii U, the tech specs are there for all to see, but you won't see many PS4 games that the Wii can't handle for a while, as for the first 12 months you get games that have been made for the previous gen and given spruced up ports. The first year of 360 was full of stuff that was also on PS2, but after a year or so you get the real next gen stuff. Watch Dogs is not that.

Araknie

Araknie said:

PC or Wii U, it will depend on how many Nintendo games i will have on that time frame.

Sun

Sun said:

PS4 has much better technical capabilities than Wii U and is going to be released only one year after Wii U. I can see Xbox3 coming soon and Wii U struggling with its poor power. It doesn't look like Wii success will be repeated on Wii U.

From Ign.com:
Cerny said the platform is "by game creators for game creators" and that its architecture is "like a PC, but supercharged." PS4 uses the X86 CPU and has 8GB of memory and a local hard drive. It uses APU technology and GDDR5 memory, which is typically reserved for "top of the line, high end graphics cards."

PS4 has 8GB of super fast RAM memory when Wii U has 2GB and only 1GB for games. If you think of Xbox3 being similar than PS4, it's going to be tough for Wii U.

I own a Wii U and I won't be buying PS4 but this is the truth and we have to see it. I bought Wii U for Nintendo games but not everybody else is going to do the same.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Peach64 A very sound post. I love the Wii U as much as the next Nintendo fan. I play it extensively. However, most of the fanboys here may want to reserve their judgement on the PS4 until they see something more concrete. Obviously they won't show everything. E3 still needs to show something. Oh and for those saying that the PS4 graphics are inferior to the Wii U...we don't know that for sure as the Wii U still hasn't been able to show their full potential. However, we haven't seen absolutely anything really from the PS4 games. So let's be more objective before we start tearing down other consoles. I don't think the Wii U graphics will hold to the PS4's, but that's just my speculation.

Guybrush20X6

Guybrush20X6 said:

I'll wait until the PS4 gets inevitable price cuts and get the WiiU version of this. That way that give more time for a good library of exclusives to build up.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

So this is a vigilante sim? I've been wondering what it was...

I actually expect us to begin to see more third party announcements now that the other consoles are getting announced for this generation.

IxnayontheCK

IxnayontheCK said:

I'm excited this is coming to Wii U, but I'm worried about it being severly underpowered now. So much so we may not even get watered down ports. =/

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

@Sun The Wii was less powerful than the PS3 and XBOX 360 even comparing the PS4 / XBOX 3 with the Wii U. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft aren't that different in this new generation.

Ofcourse the PS4 has more memory, but the PS4 also has 4K graphics. Which will take 4 times(!) the memory used in a fullhd game

@Tsuchiya That's a port of an existing game on a different platform, those games will always look worse than the original.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Good for the Wii U userbase, but not my type of game. But glad to see the 3rd party support.

out of that presentation last night, I want Deep Down, that was about ti. Maybe Knack, but I know that is exclusive.

SPEtheridge

SPEtheridge said:

Ah good to hear its coming to Wii U interested to see how they use the game pad as for me I'll probably get it on Next Xbox, PS4 or PC.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

This really was an essential release for Nintendo to get hold off.
I no longer bare grudges towards Ubisoft, largely since the people who actually make the games are innocent in all this, and now this decision clearly demonstrates that they are going to maintain strong third party support for Nintendo.
As much as I would like to see recent titles such as Tomb Raider, FC3 Bioshock Infinite and Dead Space 3 come to the Wii U, I can accept that they were being developed at the wrong time to make the cut. However if we see 3rd party game which are making there way to the other next gens aka Destiny coming to the Wii U then I will have every confidence in the system.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

What I'm more interested in is how much this thing will cost; I just can't see it being anything reasonably close to the $300(basic model) the Wii U is.

Phle

Phle said:

Cool. I'm getting this game (^_^) My boyfriend probably will be thinking that he wants to get the PC version, but I'll be thinking that we'll get the Wii U version. Better pre-order it before he realizes that he wants this game.

Molotov

Molotov said:

@Prof_Clayton
Every Game Showcased For PS4 Looked Better Than Any Wii U Games Ive Ever Seen. And Watch Dogs Is Far From Being The Best Looking Game On PS4.

Lopezdm

Lopezdm said:

@Tsuchiya What I meant by that was they that could very well pull the project a few months before release and say that it took to much time and money to continue the project.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

This game should provide a very interesting view into future multiplatform titles, seeing it's coming to both next gen and current gen consoles.

Knux

Knux said:

I might actually get the Wii U version of Watch_Dogs simply because the GamePad and extra power in said console should make this the second best version. But I actually have to buy a Wii U first... :O

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

@Sun I dont there will be any graphical difference visusally, but processing wise maybe a little bit. @SanderEvers I dont recall them ever stating there would be games playing in 4k resolution. Also people, there also could be a chance they change some things up to make the console more affordable like lowering ram,graphics card, or even storage space. Lets not judge until final product.

Galactus

Galactus said:

I think I will just stick to avoiding Ubi. I can't buy all the good games and I don't think Ubi deserves any of my money any more.