Weirdness: This Walmart Employee Got a Little Confused by a Mario Kart 8 Poster

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

So close yet so far

It's Friday, it's been a long week, so we all need a little humour to get the weekend started. Thankfully a Walmart employee has served up a clanger for us to enjoy, though it's a mistake with an undeniable logic to it, regardless.

As you can see above, someone baffled by the whole anti-gravity thing in Mario Kart 8 has decided that Mario's chubby face being the right way up in a poster is the priority, and unimportant stuff like the title and all text doesn't necessarily have to be readable. In theory, it works, as it inadvertently highlights the fact that the game's main new feature is the ability to drive on tracks that are upside down.

It's humorous, though we should be fair and point out that mistakes like this can easily happen. As anyone with history working in retail knows, part of the job is pretending to understand a load of products in which you have no interest or background knowledge.

Yet still, nice to see Nintendo's marketing and branding, even in better examples like this MK8 art, getting mis-appropriated and presented in a confusing manner. Walmart, we salute you.

[via reddit.com]

MegaWattsAdmin

MegaWatts said:

@Retro_on_theGo Oh, lighten up! We're writing about video games for crying out loud; there's nothing wrong with having a little fun at the same time!

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

You had one job....
Actually, that cinda genius. Seems like the advertisment gimmick worked perfectly ;D

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

This gave me a nice LOL moment. I worked in retail for a few years back in the day, so I can attest to the line, "...part of the job is pretending to understand a load of products in which you have no interest or background knowledge."

Amen brother, Amen...

Tops

Tops said:

Looks like someone doesn't bother to read the posters they put up :P

ACK

ACK said:

Hey, give him a break. Maybe he mains Mario while playing MK8 right until he splashes some water on his face and scrambles to work.

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

It's like seeing one of those pictures where the mouths and eyes of a person are upside down, but the rest of the picture is right and it feels completely uncomfortable.

Yai

Yai said:

I Made the exact same mistake with a poster that came in a magazine . xDD

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Well, we can all read the 8!

And this must be a really old poster anyway, it does not even have the release date.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

And here I was considering getting a Job in the Walmart Electronics Department if my GameStop hiring falls through... I'd be the only person there who actually knows what video games are..

Adam

Adam said:

I think the fact that he put Mario right side up testifies to the employee's basic knowledge of video games. The problem seems more to be with his knowledge of how words work.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Plot twist: It's actually everything else in the shop that's upside-down.

absuplendous

absuplendous said:

@MegaWatts Speaking of lightening up, you may recall that NL itself playfully ribbed "Fox News" for having a slow news day when they devoted a whopping 26 seconds to a MK8 video.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

It's fun to look at MK8 boxart upside down, but this one has taken the art of flipping stuff upside down further.

CaviarMeths

CaviarMeths said:

This may actually be more effective than having it right side up, actually. Advertising and marketing is all about making your product stick in the mind of consumers. Your brain tends to "skip over" stuff that isn't out of place, so the upside down poster is likely to catch the attention of people who would otherwise have not taken any notice of it.

LunaticPandora

LunaticPandora said:

@CaviarMeths Reminds me of a sign I saw in someone's car the other day. It said right way up "^ Right way up ^" and upside-down "If you can read this I am in serious trouble."

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

You mean I'm not suppose to sit on my head while playing this game??? Now you tell me. I've had so many head rushes for no reason!

edcomics

edcomics said:

Half the people working at Walmart can't speak English, so this isn't surprising.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

Similarly, I had seen a few copies of The Amazing Spiderman 2 on Wii U being displayed upside down at a store just yesterday.

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

@B3ND3R A former co-worker of mine is with Wal-Mart now. His biggest complaint is that, while he technically works in the electronics department, most of his time is spent picking up the slack in the surrounding areas, due to understaffing. So his time spent actually in electronics is pretty minimal.
As for this, most times there is either a signing "specialist" or an outside vendor who handles the signing. The guy or gal behind the counter probably didn't hang this poster. More likely, they should be given credit for posting this.

Mellor2000

Mellor2000 said:

Genius! Everyone who walks past it will stop and wonder why it's upside down leading to more interest in mario kart.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

This poster reminded me that I didn't play MK8 at all yesterday due to being sick. I should rectify that today, though. Bring on the anti-grav! :D

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

¡¿¡ǝɔɐןd ʇsɹıɟ ǝɥʇ uı ʎɐʍ buoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ɹǝʇsod sıɥʇ buıpɐǝɹ ʇsnظ ǝɹɐ ןןɐ noʎ ǝqʎɐɯ
Untitled
¡¡¡uosɹǝd ǝɯɐb ǝɥʇ buıuuıʍ ɟo pnoɹd ןǝǝɟ ˙ʇı uɐǝɯ ʎןןɐnʇɔɐ puɐ "ǝʇɐɥ ɐuuob sɹǝʇɐɥ" ob uɐɔ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ uı uosɹǝd ǝuo sıɥʇ ssǝnb ı ˙buıop sɐʍ ǝɥs ɹo ǝɥ ʇɐɥʍ ʍǝuʞ ʎןǝʇǝןdɯoɔ ǝǝʎoןdɯǝ ʇɹɐɯןɐʍ sıɥʇ 'ǝuıɟ ʇsnظ sıɥʇ ɟo ןןɐ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ ı

Shambo

Shambo said:

If -and I hardly could believe otherwise- this was intentional, it's a brilliant move indeed.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

8TRAK OIRAM: Where can I buy this game? 8-Trak; now that's retro, LOL! B-)

Just thought of something: Kart spelled backwards is Trak. And what do you drive a Kart on? Mind blown... :D

Chris720

Chris720 said:

I thought that was the right way round and then I noticed the text. Talk about a poster that spins you out... e.e

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

This could happen to anyone, though I think the upside-down text would be a dead giveaway! :D

Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy said:

Guys… stop making fun of this guy or girl. You don't know them.

Untitled

Do you really want to make fun of Toph? :P

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Actually, it's a very old and wonderful MARKETING PLOY. Do you guys ever wonder why sometimes you see "Laundrymat" signs upside down? It was an old gimmick in the 60's-70's, etc, to get people to come in. It sticks in their mind, etc. Either that, or the employee was stoned out of their mind. lol Or both.

BarryDunne

BarryDunne said:

That's hilarious haha I did get a free MK8 poster free with ONM UK magazine and this poster is in it too. Not the exact one but the same image if you get me. It's pretty cool!

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

@TechnoTaylor Racecar is a pallendrome. That's so Awesome! B-)

Sadly with all the ramps and dash panels, it's not possible to do most tracks backwards anymore, or in reverse for that matter... :p

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Reminds me of the Mario Kart Double Dash boxart. Look at it carefully and there is a very obvious mistake resulting from the image being flipped horizontrally. The L on the Luigi...

Dave24

Dave24 said:

Can't blame the guy - I have the other poster, where Mario is not upside down, and it has written "turn your world upside down", well... upside down.

It does it's purpose, though - I mean, it grabs attention, which is a point of a poster, right?