Nintendo Download: 12th June (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Pac-Man's back, AiRacing, vampire slaying and a massive number of discounts

It's Nintendo Download time, bringing us more goodies to console us for the fact that E3 2014 is now in its last day. There are two Pac-Man titles to celebrate the mascot's appearance in Super Smash Bros., some options to celebrate the upcoming Soccer World Cup, a couple of new 3DS eShop titles and a daunting range of discounts. Without further ado, let's get to it.

Missed the European Download Update news earlier this week? Fear not, it's right here, while there are also two Pac-Man games as an extra treat.

Wii U Virtual Console

Pac-Land (Bandai Namco, $4.99) — Originally an arcade release in 1984, this is an adventure platformerer in which you try to help a lost fairy get home. This version was originally a Famicom title and didn't get a release on NES, so this is a new opportunity for gamers in the West; we'll bring you a review soon.

Pac-Man Collection (Bandai Namco, $6.99) — As the name suggests this one combines four titles: Pac-Man, Pac-Mania, the Pac-Man remake Pac-Man Arrangement, and the puzzler Pac-Attack. We'll chomp down on a review soon.

Soccer (Nintendo, $4.99) — This one arrives with the World Cup about to kick off, and is another one of those simple self-named sports games that graced the early years of the NES; unfortunately, we didn't think this was very good when we had a look in the past. We'll give it another kick, but in the meantime you can check out our Wii Virtual Console Soccer review.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discounts

Resident Evil Revelations (Capcom, $24.99 until 19th June, normally $49.99)

Super Mario Bros. — Nintendo, $3.49 until 16th June, normally $4.99)

Sonic Lost World — (Sega, $34.99 until 16th June, normally $49.99)

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed — (Sega, $20.99 until 16th June, normally $39.99)

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD — (Nintendo, $34.99 until 16th June, normally $49.99)

The Legend of Zelda — (Nintendo, $3.49 until 16th June, normally $4.99)

The LEGO Movie Videogame — (Warner Bros., $34.99 until 16th June, normally $49.99)

LEGO The Hobbit — (Warner Bros., $27.99 until 16th June, normally $39.99)

LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes — (Warner Bros., $13.99 until 16th June, normally $19.99)

Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island — (Nintendo, $5.59 until 16th June, normally $7.99)

Super Mario World — (Nintendo, $5.59 until 16th June, normally $7.99)

3DS eShop

AiRace Xeno (QubicGames, $2.49) — The high-speed flying series makes its second appearance on the 3DS, arriving with a lower price point, nine new levels and three new jets to race. This could be a fun option for some fast pick-up-and-play gaming; we'll accelerate our efforts for a review.

Van Helsing sniper Zx100 (EnjoyUp Games, $6.66) — This is a gallery shooter in which you move the 3DS to aim, taking down dozens of vampires, rescuing hostages and tackling bosses; a mini-game will also be unlocked if you reach 666 points. We'll see whether this is a good shot or not in our upcoming review.

3DS Virtual Console

Double Dragon II: The Revenge (Arc System Works. $4.99) — The iconic action beat 'em up series receives its second entry on the portable's retro store, with the grisly premise that you're now avenging a death rather than a kidnapping. Although it improves on some flaws in the original its far from perfect, though we gave it a cautious recommendation in our Double Dragon II: The Revenge review.

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

Resident Evil Revelations (Capcom, $9.99 until 19th June, normally $19.99)

Inazuma Eleven (Level-5, $9.99 until 13th July, normally $19.99)

Mario Party: Island Tour — (Nintendo, $27.99 until 16th June, normally $39.99)

Super Mario Bros. — (Nintendo, $3.49 until 16th June, normally $4.99)

Sonic Lost World — (Sega, $27.99 until 16th June, normally $39.99)

Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed — (Sega, $20.99 until 16th June, normally $29.99)

Sonic Generations — (Sega, $20.99 until 16th June, normally $29.99)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D — (Nintendo, $27.99 until 16th June, normally, $39.99)

The Legend of Zelda — (Nintendo, $3.49 until 16th June, normally $4.99)

The LEGO Movie Videogame — (Warner Bros., $20.99 until 16th June, normally $29.99)

LEGO The Hobbit — (Warner Bros., $20.99 until 16th June, normally $29.99)

LEGO Legends of Chima: Laval's Journey — (Warner Bros., $13.99 until 16th June, normally $19.99)

LEGO Lord of the Rings — (Warner Bros., $13.99 until 16th June, normally $19.99)

Yoshi — (Nintendo, $3.49 until 16th June, normally $4.99)

Soccer Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games, $2.99 until 17th July, normally $6.99)

2 Fast 4 Gnomz (QubicGames, $2.99 until 3rd July, normally $4.99)

AiRace Speed (QubicGames, $2.99 until 3rd July, normally $4.99)

Ikachan (Nicalis, $2.50 until 26th June)

Cave Story (Nicalis, $5.99 until 26th June)

NightSky (Nicalis, $4.99 until 26th June)

VVVVVV (Nicalis, $3.99 until 26th June)

That's what's on offer this week, North American gamers. Let us know what you're planning to pick up in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (273 votes)

Pac-Land (Wii U Virtual Console)

Pac-Man Collection (Wii U Virtual Console)

Soccer (Wii U Virtual Console)

One of the Wii U eShop discounts

10%

AiRace Xeno (3DS eShop)

Van Helsing sniper Zx100 (3DS eShop)

Double Dragon II: The Revenge (3DS Virtual Console)

One of the 3DS eShop discounts

29%

Nothing for me this week

36%

Please login to vote in this poll.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Interested to see what Cave Story 3D drops to, might pick that up, or Air Race Xeno. We shall see.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

Kinda sad there wasn't any big eShop surprise release, ya know? I mean with e3 and all one would think Nintendo would drop something out of nowhere and not even blink. Oh well, 2015 looks promising anyway.

DragonbornRito

DragonbornRito said:

Ocarina of Time 3D. Once I get that, I'll have every single downloadable Zelda game downloaded to my Zelda 3DSXL. I already have Legend of Zelda, Adventure of Link, Link's Awakening DX, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, Four Swords Anniversary Edition, Minish Cap, and A Link Between Worlds. Only missing OoT3D.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Was hoping some for some megatons today after a pretty a pretty quiet VC E3 outside of Capcom's announcements. I guess there's still hope as the day continues... I'm gonna snag Pac-man Collection at least. 3DS Revelations for $10 is nuts, but I've already got the 3DS cart and PC versions.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Interested to see pricing for Cave Story and Nightsky - might double-dip and pick up one for 3DS if the price is appealing.

Mus1cLov3r

Mus1cLov3r said:

Resident Evil: Revelations is $9.99 now? Danggit! I bought a used copy at GameStop for 16 bucks. Oh well, I'm too young to view mature titles on the E-Shop anyways.... :-/

Also, that sniper game? The
Price is $6.66 and you unlock a mini-game if you reach 666 points? CREEPY! D:

Mus1cLov3r

Mus1cLov3r said:

@DragonbornRito I still need Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, The Legend of Zelda, and Zelda 2. I'll never own Minish Cap on my 3DS, however, because I'm not an ambassador... That saddens me. :-( Lol.

NintendoMaster

NintendoMaster said:

I could have saved a ton of money if I didn't already have a lot of these games. Oh well! I had fun playing them.

speedyboris

speedyboris said:

Looks like Pac-Attack won't be re-released on its own for the Wii U, seeing as how Pac-Man Collection includes that game.

DragonbornRito

DragonbornRito said:

@Mus1cLov3r I know, I wish they'd give GBA an official release on 3DS... It works perfectly! I was lucky enough to be an early adopter, but plenty of other people don't have the same pleasure. When it comes right down to it though, I wouldn't count that when saying you have them all, since very few people out of the current owners are Ambassadors. You had to get a 3DS within the first 4 or 5 months of its release, I think. I did have it a little easy though. Getting LoZ and AoL for free too. I picked up OoA and OoS when they were running that promo (buy one, get one half off or something).

@astros75 Thanks! I can't wait till I get my check this weekend to get it. :D

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@XFsWorld

Same here. A friend of mine let go the Halloween promotion and later regretted it.

I want to see how cheap Nightsky will be.

blaze8937

blaze8937 said:

Definitely gonna look into getting Inazuma Eleven looks pretty interesting and for $10 why not...also looking to get cave story and double dip and get re revelations even though I have the cart and 100% it, I loved the game to much and wouldn't mind running through the game again

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

I've been waiting for Inazuma Eleven to go on sale though I'll probably wait since it's on sale till July 13th and maybe I'll pick up Inazuma Eleven for my birthday on July 2nd. I'll probably also pick up Pac-Man Collection while it's on sale.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Nice to see Inazuma Eleven is half off. It's a good RPG game, although I would admit I hated it at first.

I'm on the fence with Resident Evil Revelations. I dislike Zombie horror genres but my gf loves watching me play it (evil witch). I was wondering if this game have motion controls similar to RE4 (Wii remote) and/or Zombi U (GamePad)?

Stu13

Stu13 said:

Yeah, no way is that actually Cave Story 3D up for download. I wonder what it would do to the price of the physical copies on the second hand market if they actually did put it on the eShop?

Barely_Able

Barely_Able said:

@Stu13 If the comments on MiiVerse are true, then the 3D version will be heading to the eShop at some point. Though this version on sale will definitely not be it.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Are those additional games in the Pac-Man Collection any good? Pac-Mania or Pac-Man Arrangement? Sounds like an intriguing mix.

And Pac-Land as an import? Pretty cool. Strong work, Sakurai.

DakotaM47

DakotaM47 said:

2 Fast 4 Gnomz & probably NightSky. Also, I think Nintendo releases sports NES games for a reason. Like Soccer, with World Cup right now, and Ice Hockey in February and Volleyball the 1st week of March.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

The Pac-Man Collection arrival and discount was very sweet... but I was hoping for more of a reveal today. Like 'Brain Age' for free as a preview of the DS VC or something. OR the debut of N64 or Gamecube on the Wii U VC. THAT would have been a hoot!

Grimlock_King

Grimlock_King said:

Will be getting resident evil revelations on 3DS for the first time. I am amped! Also been waiting for castlevania 3 on the wii u vc since japan got it back in april.

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

wow! this is the first time nintendo will be getting my money in months! finally an awesome selection. @AVahne , i dont know what in the hell you're talking about. theres a lot of lame discounts, yea, but theres a bunch of good ones too. ive been waiting for nightsky to be discounted, so that will be great to finally play. cave story is so awesome but i already have it. the airace games are great so airace xeno is a for sure buy today. and that van helsing sniper one sounds pretty rad just from the name so i might get it, depending on what the video on eshop looks like, or maybe wait for a review if its iffy. double dragon is an awesome classic so will probably pick that up too. and thats just 3ds! awesome week for sure!

burninmylight

burninmylight said:

My new year's resolution was to limit myself to a monthly allowance on games and hobbies, and to never go over it unless I have to take advantage of a sale. I was doing great until last month, but then I got a 3DS. Due to Mario Kart 8's promotion and eShop sales lately, I'm at -$58 and counting...

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

@FeedingTheWheel
yea i havent played nightsky yet, im getting it today for sure, i heard its great. but cave story is so awesome. its one of the funnest games ive played in a long time. u cant go wrong with cave story. everyone should get it. hehehe.

FunkkyMonk

FunkkyMonk said:

Gah! I just bought Inazuma Eleven yesterday at full price. Why didn't I wait to see the deals this week?

Earthboundy

Earthboundy said:

Eh, i have time to pick up the discounts :P I'm planning on getting ikichan or VVVVV they look like fun :D

Incarnadine

Incarnadine said:

NightSky for me. When something gets a 10 on NL, and it has a discount, I always make sure to pick it up.

Chibi-Hobo

Chibi-Hobo said:

@FunkkyMonk - Because your impatience for good gaming is a compliment to a good game's developers, in the form of sweet, sweet monies?

Now if you find that you paid full price AND hate it, then your only recourse is to make like the rest of us, and drown your sorrows in more video games.

Iggly

Iggly said:

Aw what the heck, I always forget the 3DS eshop bluntly blocks you out of Mature Rated games. I wanted to buy Resident Evil Revelations because of that discount. Honestly, who thought that was a good idea? Do they not want my money? ;_;

Mega719

Mega719 said:

These Wii U prices are still a bit much if Sonic Lost World was in the $20 range I may get it

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Always makes me so sad and angry to see Ikachan again getting a discount, and then realizing that Nicalis still hasn't brought that one to Europe.

So pathetic...

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

I kind of figured, despite the roaring opportunity E3 provides to give extra hype to a new release or drop a game right after E3, that no company would be ready to release anything so close to so many big announcements.
Though, from what I've heard of late, Tengami, Armillo, Pier Solar HD and Teslagrad are in their 'gold master approval phase'. So, in addition to Shovel Knight, the next 5 weeks could have 5 high profile indies. I'm pulling for Assault Android Cactus for July 3rd, to christen our new home with some much needed multiplayer madness!

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Anyone who hasn't played Resident Evil Revelations, NOW IS THE TIME.

Can't beat $10 for such a great game. That VVVVVV for $3.99 is a steal too.

bronZfonZ

bronZfonZ said:

These are not the PAC-MANs we wanted. We want PAC-MAN Museum and especially PAC-MAN Battle Royale that came with it.

DaemonSword

DaemonSword said:

Getting a Wii U/MK8 Bundle, I was torn on what free game to get, between WWHD and Pikmin 3. In the end, I went with Pikmin 3, since I still have my GC copy of WW, and wanted a new gaming experience. Seeing WWHD at 34.99 is great and I can get it now, since even on Amazon Prime new, it's not that low (not even going to bother on eBay, getting a questionable disk with no box. lol)

Dodger

Dodger said:

Inazuma Eleven sounds fun. I think I have enough leftover from the eshop card my godmother got me as a gift for it after Tomodachi Life.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

The thing about RE Revelaitons is how large the eShop download is. Is it such a great saving if you have to empty the fridge or buy a new SD card?

In case anyone wanted to throw the yellow card of "no fair why no Europe IE sale", we got the sale (this can be the problem with Monday PR is some sales are not planned so far in advance).

rosebud

rosebud said:

I picked up Inazuma Eleven last night. From what I've heard from others, this is a great deal at $10 as you are getting a full fledged retail release. May get Ikachan as well.

Dodger

Dodger said:

Turns out that I had just enough leftover for NightSky and Inazuma Eleven. I thought I only had enough for one, and was quite pleased. I was counting sales tax in my math but it didn't charge it. As the country I am currently in isn't even on the list, I haven't changed my region from Indiana and I used to have sales tax. I certainly am not complaining. Both of these games look great. If I wait until Tuesday, I can download them in town and get a much better price for the internet.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

ARGH! I've just spent my $10 on Retro city Rampage, and RER decides to pull this on me NOW?

sigh. Forgive me wallet.

cheapogamer4life

cheapogamer4life said:

If Cave Story is the 3d version then I will have to get that. Other then that I may getDDII. I already have the 3dsiware version of CS. :/

Windy

Windy said:

If you haven't downloaded Inazuma Eleven yet......NOWS THE TIME! Half price excellent sale! I highly recommend it. Don't expect a 3d extravaganza but do expect a Quirky very well done RPG in a soccer/Futbol setting. I'm not a fan of the sport and that game is awesome. Very high quality and I will tell ya.....it blows the socks off of Grinsia which is the same price. Don't hesitate get it now