Vita Overtakes 3DS in Tough Week for Japanese Charts

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

All hardware sales are down

The Japanese game retail market seems to be in the midst of a rather glum spell, with a brief burst a few weeks ago — which can certainly be attributed in part to a pre-tax increase flurry of sales — making way for trends sliding in the wrong direction. This week also brings an unwelcome weekly loss for the 3DS, albeit against the context of a dry software week as opposed to new software helping other hardware.

To begin with software, Yo-kai Watch continues its consistently strong run for Level-5 in third place, with Mario Party: Island Tour dropping to 4th, just ahead of the only new top 20 entry on Nintendo hardware, Bandai Namco's Crayon Shin-chan: Arashi wo Yobu Kasukabe Eiga Stars!. The best performer was 3rd Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-Hen on PS3 and Vita, while the Wii U has one entry with the underwhelming second week sales of Just Dance Wii U — lifetime sales are in brackets below.

1. [PS3] 3rd Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-Hen – 142,433 (New)
2. [PSV] 3rd Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-Hen – 128,236 (New)
3. [3DS] Yokai Watch – 33,833 (720,220)
4. [3DS] Mario Party: Island Tour – 28,114 (285,987)
5. [3DS] Crayon Shin-chan: Arashi wo Yobu Kasukabe Eiga Stars! – 16,409 (New)
6. [PSV] Mato Kurenai Yuugekitai – 14,468 (New)
7. [PS3] Samurai Warriors 4 – 13,552 (206,066)
8. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes – 11,005 (190,036)
9. [360] Titanfall – 10,478 (New)
10. [PS3] Mato Kurenai Yuugekitai – 8,469 (New)
11. [PS3] J-Stars Victory VS – 7,461 (164,418)
12. [Wii U] Just Dance Wii U – 7,164 (25,567)
13. [3DS] Kirby: Triple Deluxe – 6,987 (547,360)
14. [PSV] Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd – 6,333 (121,071)
15. [3DS] Pokemon X and Y – 6,020 (4,029,314)
16. [3DS] Kaseki Horider: Mugen Gear – 5,951 (136,033)
17. [PS3] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2014 – 5,609 (96,485)
18. [PSV] Samurai Warriors 4 – 5,369 (74,165)
19. [PSV] J-Stars Victory VS – 5,353 (139,875)
20. [PS3] Dark Souls II – 5,286 (325,463)

The hardware results don't make great reading for either Nintendo or Sony, with all systems down on last week's results. The Vita has enjoyed some weekly successes over the 3DS LL (XL) in recent months, though typically both Nintendo portable models combined have come out on top. Perhaps helped along by the number two new release in the software chart, the smaller drop for Sony's portable sees it sneak ahead of the combined 3DS figure. As for home consoles, the results are poor all around, with the Wii U falling further still — last week's sales are in brackets.

PlayStation Vita – 24,078 (25,017)
3DS LL – 17,291 (22,947)
PlayStation 4 – 13,034 (13,401)
PlayStation 3 – 7,305 (10,871)
3DS – 6,271 (9,091)
Wii U – 5,512 (7,962)
PSP – 2,027 (2,892)
PlayStation Vita TV – 1,220 (1,371)
Xbox 360 – 229 (276)

It's natural for there to be peaks and drops in retail markets, of course, though it has been a tough period in Japan during the last two weeks. Nintendo will no doubt be hoping that upcoming releases in May and beyond will provide much-needed boosts for 3DS and Wii U.

Image credit: www.edge-online.com

[via gematsu.com]

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Actually the 3DS sales went down. Vita hasn't really gotten a boost since December

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

In NYC the vita is reallllllly unpopular xD on the subways you see tons of people playing a 3DS or on their phones I've really yet to see a Vita in public

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

The calm before the Mario Kart storm. Pre-Mario Kart sales are going to be appalling for Wii U and even worse if they announce a bundle (which they don't seem to be doing which is crazy considering bundles are literally the only thing that has been selling Wii Us)

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

Dedicated gaming handhelds of any brand need to just sell. Don't care about mobile's reach to all earthlings, that's merely a spin-off of portable gaming.

Mus1cLov3r

Mus1cLov3r said:

The 3DS is still the better system right here.
points at kidney
Oops, I meant right here.
points at heart

mostro328

mostro328 said:

I think Mario Kart 8 will bring a boost in all regions but yes a bundle announcement is needed with a special edition wiiu

Artwark

Artwark said:

Even though I love Nintendo, I'm glad the Vita managed to do well atleast for now. I'm pretty sure that with Mario Golf and Mario Kart 8, Both 3DS and Wii U sales will be big.

Artwark

Artwark said:

@MusicLov3r I agree. I love Fire Emblem: Awakening man! Its an awesome game!

Besides the 3DS has sole above 40 Million. So really all Nintendo has to do is release Smash and its gonna boom even more! :D

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Just really makes me sad that only Just Dance seems to be selling for the Wii U. There are some really good games out there. Unfortunately, my experience lately has been trying to find them in stores is a bit fo a treasure hunt.

MrCanzine

MrCanzine said:

Technically the 3ds still has more sales when considering 3ds and 3ds XL combined, which I don't see why it wouldn't be when comparing numbers, not like we split out ps3 and ps3 slim and each model of Xbox 360.

but also good on vita, competition is good and maybe I'll look at one in future. Recently got my hands on a psp go from a phone trade, not a bad piece of hardware, and games are fun. Would still prefer my 3ds but 3ds doesn't have hot shots golf and little big planet.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Nice to see Vita doing well over there. It's the only hardware that's selling higher in 2014 than 2013. Hopefully Mario Kart starts to turn around Wii U. I think it's a given that it will get a huge bump in the first few weeks, but the real question is will it last?

Feallike

Feallike said:

Good for Sony, there Failure is actually doing well! The only reason Sony hasn't sold off some of there IP's yet is because so far the PS4 is a huge success. ;)

gatorboi352

gatorboi352 said:

I think the real story here is WHERE THE CRAP IS THE MARIO KART 8 BUNDLE ANNOUNCEMENT ALREADY?!?!

Heads need to roll over at Nintendo, seriously.

Maybe there's more to this whole thing than we realize. Maybe internally, Nintendo secretly despises Wii U and wishes they never released it. Maybe they're just riding out the storm and releasing a few more years of mailed in fan service until they can announce the Gamecube 2 at E3 2015.

Emblem

Emblem said:

I'm really surprised 3rd Robot War Z didn't boost Vita & PS3 numbers more, the way my GFs sister has been talking about the hype for it over there you'd think it was the second coming of Christ Lol. Still it looks awesome and its a shame it will never be localised so I can understand it :( .

Oh and ouch at those Wii U and PS4 numbers.

Polygon recently done a friends list about what Sony can do to save the Vita, abit sensationalist but funny thing is the piece would be exactly the same if you replace Sony with Nintendo and vita with Wii U.

gatorboi352

gatorboi352 said:

"Oh and ouch at those Wii U and PS4 numbers."

The sad thing is, if Wii U had those PS4 numbers instead, people would be jumping for joy around here lol.... le sigh.

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

I wonder if the tax increase has negatively affected the sale of used panties from japanese vending machines?

Feallike

Feallike said:

@gatorboi352

Wiiu was a failure but it hasn't cost Nintendo anything but some fans, 3DS has gotten back all the loses Wiiu lost, Also Wiiu wasn't a failure, it did make Nintendo upgrade its Tech to HD, so now when there next home console comes out they won't struggle as much to make games. :)

gatorboi352

gatorboi352 said:

@Feallike "but it hasn't cost Nintendo anything but some fans"

LOL. Some fans? It's almost single handedly made Nintendo irrelevant in the home console market. Irrelevant or laughed at, depending on who you're talking about.

" 3DS has gotten back all the loses Wiiu lost" That's just false. There's no other way to put it. That is a false claim.

stealth

stealth said:

3DS should retake at least for the next 3 weeks.

Famitsu also had 3DS at one, so it is close.

kensredemption

kensredemption said:

Mario Kart 8 will push Wii Us for the summer the same way Super Smash Bros. will move the 3DS. Mark my words.

SilverArrow

SilverArrow said:

...You made it seem like the Vita is winning with your article title when it's just, in fact, gaining speed desperately trying to catch up. Just because 3DS lost speed doesn't mean the Vita is winning. The 3DS already overlapped the Vita! Come back when the LIFETIME sales overtake the 3DS.

JosieC84

JosieC84 said:

I still yet to find any games that screams at me to get a PS Vita. Those Wii U sales are shockingly appalling but that's because Nintendo hasn't been trying hard enough with marketing. I've started playing EDGE and RUSH. Really fun games!

Lance168

Lance168 said:

Right now I just wish they would make some kind of effort to get games out! A merger, a deal or anything will help the current situation of no games right now!

shane1228

shane1228 said:

I'm not surprised. The 3DS has been in a bit of a slump lately with games due to Nintendo putting most of their energy and many of their resources behind the WiiU trying to get that to take off.

Memeboy3

Memeboy3 said:

Wait until SS4....
IT WILL RETURN WITH IT CLAWS SHARPENED AND READY TO RIP THE VITA'S INSIDES APART!!
Sits in Chair and Waits for Summer

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

Darn the Wii U can't even outsell the 8 year old PS3 in Japan? Nintendo Wii have a problem.

Nintendo has dropped the ball in marketing the Wii U but it's not all of Nintendo fault, Big developers like EA, 2K, Bethesda don't want to spend extra money and man power in porting their games to Wii U since it already has a low instal base plus porting games to Wii U is more of a challenge since the Wii U runs on PowerPC.

But what I really hate is when punks at EA say "Wii U is weak and underpowered " yet TitanFall on the Xbox 360 looks just as good as the Xbox One version, the Wii U can easily run TitanFall, because the Wii U is 2x more powerful than the Xbox 360, the Wii U is a very capable system, big name developers just don't want to spend any money or resources on Wii U.

gatorboi352

gatorboi352 said:

@Meaty-cheeky "But what I really hate is when punks at EA say "Wii U is weak and underpowered " yet TitanFall on the Xbox 360 looks just as good as the Xbox One version, the Wii U can easily run TitanFall, because the Wii U is 3x more powerful than the Xbox 360, the Wii U is a very capable system, big name developers just don't want to spend any money or resources on Wii U."

It's all about perception man. Sadly, perception trumps reality. And the perception is Wii U is "last gen" and "uncool".

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

Its nice to see the Vita getting some momentum behind it but omg these numbers are depressing all around.

Heiki

Heiki said:

It's nice to see the Vita on the top for a change. I love my Vita just as much as my 3DS. It has so many great games.

@shonenjump86 My copy has just arrived! Can't wait to play it on my PS3!

Peach64

Peach64 said:

@feallike Nintendo lost $335 million in the last year. The 3DS numbers are nowhere near making up for the Wii U losses, unfortunately.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

I dunno, I can't see any winners here.
3DS sales figures make sense, since there were no big titles recently, VITA numbers still look horrible considering even J All Stars and 3rd Robot Wars Z couldn't boost them much, and WiiU's time has yet to come.
The big games will probably show up around autumn/winter, somewhere after E3.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

@Peach64
And its probably going to be worse this year considering they've shifted a lot of resources to the Wii U. I'm not sure what QOL is but hopefully its works out for them or Iwata has an ace up his sleeve.

BinaryFragger

BinaryFragger said:

Nice to see the Vita doing well, it really is a great system.
I'm a little surprised to still see the PSP on the sales charts, I wasn't aware that it was still in production. Sony's Japanese website shows its MSRP at 13,143 yen, which is about $130.

gatorboi352

gatorboi352 said:

@MAN1AC "I'm not sure what QOL is but hopefully its works out for them or Iwata has an ace up his sleeve."

The way i interpreted everything about that is Nintendo is finally ripping out the "blue ocean" portion of their approach to consoles (i.e. the Wii Fit crowd) and making it it's own separate thing from their traditional home consoles.

A.K.A. The next Nintendo will be much more SNES/N64/Gamecube and much less Wii/Wii U, if that makes any sense. I think they realized trying to create a "jack of all trades" kind of deal with Wii/Wii U and pleasing both sets of crowds, they'd just as soon divide everything out and more directly target the two audiences.

Again, just my interpretation.

AVahne

AVahne said:

2014 is pretty much Vita's year. There are so many quality games coming out that would make me bankrupt.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

@Meaty-cheeky The reason behind EA's trash talking the Wii U is because of the whole Origin fiasco. They are probably still butt-hurt about it, however Titanfall is a Microsoft exclusive, hence it has nothing to do with EA not porting it over.

I don't know how much power the Wii U has, but from the games that I've played on my Wii U, it's pretty safe to say it is vastly more powerful than both PS360. Furthermore, if a person's console of choice is based on Power, he should get a gaming PC.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Nintendo doesnt give a toss. Im surprised ppl havent picked up on that yet.
Get tha iwata fool out of there, bugger that franenstein Reggie off too and start fresh.
Enoughs enough of this nonsense.
Nintendo could own the world if they wanted to.... but they dont and Sony is picking up the pieces.
Yes, i went there. Come at me fanboys....

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

PS4 proving to the world that consoles still sell in Japan. Oh wait, we already knew they didn't.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@MC808 he was actually quoting someone else but the point being that the Wii u can run Titan Fall and many other games in fact so far all the next gen games none of them have been overly impressive

8bitforever

8bitforever said:

@MrCanzine I would give it a chance. I love my Vita and it has been getting lots of games lately too. Really depends on what you like to play. I personally needed a break from Mario, etc. and have found new games that I love with Sony. Plus you can get lots of great PS1 & PSP games and they have a great account system that isn't tied to your system.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

@Meaty-cheeky The problem of the Wii U is the same problem Nintendo had with the N64, Gamecube, and Wii. The industry did something and Nintendo did the opposite. With the N64 it was the insistence on staying with the cartridge. With the Gamecube it was pushing the proprietary GameCube Disc format. With the Wii it was motion controls and passing HD Graphics. Now with the Wii U they have stuck with PowerPC while everyone else went Intel and they included second screen gaming out of the box.

These decisions are not bad or good, but different and third parties seem to hate differences. It takes effort to properly port to Nintendo, which takes money, and unfortunately it appears the current install base doesn't justify it.

Windy

Windy said:

I just think the worldwide economy effects everything when times get tough videogames and things like it get pushed to the back of the line. I'm having a tough time right now myself and usually buy at least 1 game a month. I'm lookin at buying only 2 games the rest of the year (Tomadachi LIFE and Monster Hunter 4). At least the 2 games I'm planning to buy look to have a long life span. I also think gamers are looking that way too. does a game have a long lifespan?

Windy

Windy said:

@Darknyht I totally agree with what you said. I think. the decisions made by Nintendo on what you have stated have kind of pushed gamers and Nintendo apart. Nintendo has kind of alienated itself from what seems to be most of the world. If it didn't have the absolutely huge following it did from the NES and SNES days they would have been just ruined. The 3DS and DS kicking butt helped also.

wombatkidd

wombatkidd said:

@Ichiban
You do know Reggie is a PR guy who doesn't actually make any decisions for the company, right?

@Peach64
If you actually did into their income statement instead of getting your news from click-bait articles you'd see that their gross profit (income calculated only based on actual sales and cost of selling) is a positive number. They actually are making money on the selling of their products.

Their net operating income is a negative member due mostly to advertising costs. They wasted a lot of money on ineffectual advertising last year.

But their non operating income more than makes up for that and the company as a whole had a net profit of roughly 7.5 million US.

You can peruse the document yourself.

The income statement starts on page 25.

wombatkidd

wombatkidd said:

@Darknyht I'd like to know where this meme of the GameCube not getting third party support came from. You can count the number of console mutiplats it didn't get on one hand, the same for the other two console.

It even had the best selling version of a few mutiplats, soul calibur 2 being the prime example. And had successful this party exclusives and timed exclusives like resident evil 4 and rogue squadron.

Whatever the GameCube's problem was, it wasn't third party support. Do people just back port Wii's third party support problems to justify the GameCube's poor sales or do people who didn't own the console just assume it has no third party games? I'm curious.

Doma

Doma said:

@Windy I think people are mistaken in believing Tomadachi LIFE will have a long lifespan. Its novelty is very likely to wear off quickly, just like the majority of pointless life sims.

MH4 isn't coming until 2015, btw.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

@wombatkidd They did get early Third Party support, but the lack of sales and the issues with file format caused the support to scale back or dry up starting in 2003. Look at how many exclusive Gamecube games such as RE4 found their way to other consoles in order to turn a profit.

Then there is the statistics of 648 GC games to 967 Xbox games to 3870 PS2 games released that paints a picture of both the Gamecube and Xbox not being favored by developers. Granted the PS2 released games until 2013 while the other two stopped production in '06 or '07, but I think even then the numbers heavily favor the PS2.

supermario4ever

supermario4ever said:

These guys are the member of the japanese boy band: Arashi. Maybe with their advertise would make 3DS even more popular.

wombatkidd

wombatkidd said:

Those 3000 ps2 games that the other systems didn't get are mostly the kind of cheap cash in shovelware that the Wii would go on to be plagued with. The ps2's user base was largly composed of non gamers who bought it for a cheap DVD player, so devs pumped out as much crap as possible to draw in that crowd.

Xbox had a good deal of exclusives due to Microsoft giving this parties boat loads of money not to release games on other consoles.

But actual major games that came to more than one console? The GameCube got them and continued to throughout its life span.

AkinaChan

AkinaChan said:

Lol at a Shin Chan game being on that list Xp that Anime scared me as a kid ^^;

But seriously, once more big titles come out, people will have that push to suck up the taxes and sales will increase. The tax increase is just something Japan has to adapt to with time... Though I'll admit, as a Japanese person myself, I'm not liking that tax increase at all. Not looking forward to dealing with it when I visit home later this year D':

MC808 said:

@LDXD First, saying "it can run Titanfall" is incredibly vague and annecdotal, at best. Second, is Titanfall now the benchmark for what is next gen? Besides all that, there's absolutely no way the WiiU could run Titanfall exactly as it is on the Xbone. And no, I'm not an Xbone or PS4 fanboy. I'm just someone who likes good games, regardless of the platform they're on. From what I've seen so far, from a graphical standpoint, there are no WiiU games that one could refer to as clear examples of the system being more powerful than the last gen consoles.....the 7 year old last gen consoles, and certainly not the current gen systems.. Maybe that will change soon. I don't know.
I never base my entire opinions on tech specs, I base them on the games I can see and play, unlike the person who declared the WiiU as 3x as powerful as a 360. I'm also not being anti-WiiU, I'm just calling it as I see it, and what I see is a console that's a generation behind, unfortunately. This was the case with the Wii as well. It was a glorified GameCube, which also was/is a superb console in it's own right.
Whether or not Xbone or PS4 games have been impressive doesn't really enter in to the discussion of what the WiiU is capable of. Pointing out flaws in other consoles doesn't make the WiiU any better than it is.

Doma

Doma said:

@wombatkidd The PS2 still received WAY more third party titles (non-shovelware) than the GC or Xbox. So comparing its support to the Wii's influx of garbage is quite silly of you.

Also, to that last question: How about every GTA game (and plenty of EA stuff from what i remember).

Psyclone

Psyclone said:

hmmm? I still see the 3ds out selling it, the 3ds & 3dsLL is the same thing & that is impressive since everyone has one already.

MC808 said:

@wombatkidd "The ps2's user base was largly composed of non gamers who bought it for a cheap DVD player,..." Do you have some evidence to support that? I seriously doubt you do, since it's a completely baseless statement. And a PS2 hardly made for a "cheap" standalone DVD player. lol Funny, I don't know any non-gamers who forked out a few hundred dollars on a PS2 to use as a cheap DVD player (which doesn't even come with a wireless remote control...that was another $30 or so), yet according to you these people make up the majority of the PS2's user base....go figure.
@Doma I have to totally agree with you. Silly is an understatement.

Dreamz

Dreamz said:

Where does this idea that Mario Kart is some kind of magical hardware sales miracle come from? While I don't doubt that it will help sales quite a bit, it's not going to magically fix the Wii U's hardware sales by itself.

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

@MC808 To be more clear the Wii U has better GPU and more Ram, than the Xbox 360, but the Wii U's CPU is not an improvement over the Xbox 360's CPU.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@MC808 I know at least 4 or 5 people who bought a PS2 and only a handful of games and used it as a DVD player mostly. It was a rubbish system. (Jagged Lines that was a problem that only the PS2 had to that extent. Dreamcast / Xbox / Gamecube were fine.) It does have Gradius V though.

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

I think I'm more surprised to see the stalwart PSP outsell the Vita TV. Then again, I realize that the PSP has WAY more support in Japan than in the US (don't know how it is in Europe).

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Meaty-cheeky

It's comparing apples and oranges. A 1.5Ghz proc from the present day will more times than not outperform a proc clocked at twice the speed from a decade ago. Wii U CPU is clocked low, however, it's much more efficient than CPU's from the mid-2000's. Furthermore, the architectures differ. All 7th gen consoles were CPU-centric, while all 8th gen consoles are GPU-centric. Comparison is futile ;)

MC808 said:

@unrandomsam So these 4 or 5 non-gamers, who bought games and played them, are representative of the majority of PS2's userbase?
And it was a rubbish system because it had more aliasing than DC, XB, and GC? But, Gradius V kinda made up for it? Well, you're entitled to your opinion..

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

@MC808 the Wii U can crush the Xbox 360 in terms of graphical effects like lighting, shaders & bump mapping. My original point of the matter is that major third party companies shouldn't use the excuse that the Wii U is underpowered, since I know that many of the launch games on Xbox One could easily be ran on Wii U if developers gave the Wii U the time and energy.

MC808 said:

@Meaty-cheeky I too think the WiiU shouldn't be written off as underpowered. It's got enough under the hood to allow great modern games to be made for it. I just take issue with matter-of-fact statements like "it's 3x as powerful" or "it could easily run Xbone games". You can't say that's true anymore than I can say it's not. All we have to go on right now are the games, and I'm yet to be convinced.
One thing I can say for certain is that I think Nintendo should have given it more power. The fact that people are arguing whether or not it's more powerful than consoles from 8 years ago says it all.

wombatkidd

wombatkidd said:

@MC808 you don't seem to remember how expensive DVD players were back then. An entry level dedicated DVD player cost 50-100 more than a ps2 did. DVD playback was a core selling point for the system.

And I know 4 people personally who bought it for that purpose and never bought a single game for it. Including my wife.

MC808 said:

@wombatkidd Is that what you're basing your claim of the majority of PS2's userbase being non-gamers who wanted a cheap DVD player? I'm not disputing it was a selling point of the system. I know I used it to play DVDs too. I never doubted there were people that used it as your wife did, but the majority of the user base? Come on man, let's not get carried away.

MC808 said:

Man that's a poll of 4,300 people taken 1 month after the console's release, and only 2,500 of the people polled actually owned the system. Sorry, but that is meaningless.
By the way, DVD players under $100 became quite common around the time the PS2 was released.

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

Nice to see the Vita doing well. Its such a great piece of Hardware.This is only the beginning of 2014 and games are starting to roll out for the system like crazy, I can't wait to see what comes out later this year.

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

@MC808

I don't even think that guy read the article beyond the headline. Here is the breakdown...

"Among those who bought the system, 74 percent said they bought it for games and DVD movies, 20 percent for games alone, and six percent for DVD movies only. In actuality, however, 52 percent of the participants who own the PlayStation2 said they are currently using the system for games, and 15 percent said they're using it for DVD movies"

It says only 6% of those polled bought the system just to use it as a DVD player. Nowhere does it say that 60% of PS2 owners did that.

MC808 said:

Yeah, it's a mess of a poll, and for the life of me I don't know how they came up with the title.

wombatkidd

wombatkidd said:

@MC808

Some articles that attribute the DVD player to bring a large part of ps2: success.

There's lots more if you want to bother to Google it. The DVD player being a huge part of the ps2's success is considered to be an undisputed fact.
Sorry that fact upsets you for some reason.

MC808 said:

@wombatkidd lol First of all I'm not upset. There's a HUGE difference between the DVD being a large part of the PS2's success and it being the sole reason the MAJORITY of PS2s were purchased. Do you get that? Has that little distinction gotten past ya? YOU are the person who said it, remember?

We can make points without personal attacks. -Lz

MC808 said:

Oh so those articles show that the majority of PS2 owners aren't actually gamers, they're just people who wanted a "cheap" DVD player? If they prove your point then they must say that, right? Hmmmm...nope, I can't find anything like that being said.
You see, I never even attempted to say the DVD wasn't part of it's success. All I did was challenge the absolute rediculous notion of yours that it was the only reason most people bought a PS2. Now it's "why it's so successful" and "Sony marketed to non gamers".

Knock it off. -Lz

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

@wombatkidd The Ps2 also being a DVD player may have been part of the reason why it was so successful, but the wide variety of games and good exclusives also played a big role. To think otherwise would be silly.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

I'm not surprised by this actually. The 3DS has sold 15 MILLION systems in Japan alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thus many people are finding the Vita to be an attractive alternative especially now in between major 3DS release. I love how people are writing the 3DS off based on ONE week yes one week and it under sells a handheld with a install base that will never catch up (for better or worse) to the 3DS. Sheesh its one week, and I think at this point this should be normal (very much like the late DS v. PSP days in Japan)

MC808 said:

The next comment I see with a personal attack will result in a temporary ban. You have been warned -Lz

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

We can do without the name-calling, or temporary bans will be placed upon anyone who calls another user an "idiot", "moron" or any other name.

MC808 said:

Don't like the way we do things? Please feel free to get in touch. Thanks! — TBD
No, I don't always like the way you do things. Is it against the rules to have an opinion that doesn't fit with yours? If so then let me know. Thanks!
Btw, what was so terrible about my comment that you felt it was necessary to just flat out delete it? I wasn't making derogatory remarks or insulting anyone. I was just expressing an opinion. It may have been sarcastic, but since when is sarcasm a crime? Removing comments and replacing them with chastizing remarks kinda makes it seem to everyone like a user is being an a-hole.

somari

somari said:

i think everyone is doing bad because of the taxes put on in Japan. Mario Kart 8 for Wii U can't come any sooner along with 3ds games coming.

MundaneName

MundaneName said:

@siconlol It's a real shame the Vita gets little love. It is a great system with great games, though not as practical for travel as the 3DS.

Scott123

Scott123 said:

if mario kart 8 was supposed to save the Wii U Then why is ps4 outselling it even though pikmin 3 and mario 3d world,dk tropical freeze ect and franchises are leaving it like crazy need for speed,fifa,batman,assasins creed

Doma

Doma said:

@wombatkidd Why would you explicitly state the 'largeness' or 'great extent' of something, if not to suggest it was the majority aspect? You just rendered your whole statement pointless. Well done.

LDXD

LDXD said:

Wow I come in here and read comments about how the ps2 was a mediocre system lol mmmk time for me to leave before I say something stupid

wombatkidd

wombatkidd said:

@Doma

It never fails. I make completely uncontroversial statements and people decide these statements are fodder to troll and flame me.

My original post about it boils down to three points, none of which are anything anyone ever argued about until now.

1. A large amount of non gamers bought the system for DVD playback.

A completely uncontroversial statement that every single article that ever analyzed the system's success states as a fact.

2. The audience that owned the system had more casuals and non gamers.

Also a completely uncontroversial statement. In fact, it's a "no duh" statement. The larger a systems user base the more casual it usually trends.

3. There's a lot of shovelware on the system.

Also something that was completely unargued about until I said it. Also a "no duh" statement since a system with a more casual audience will have more shovelware.

But people seemed to interpret that as some sort of insult even though the same points also apply to the Wii. Of course if I had said the same thing about the Wii no one would have given a crap, but because it's about their manly, precious ps2 I guess it's a problem.

I expect this bs at gamefaqs. This place is usually less of a craphole.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@MC808 the original Wii was last gen the Wii u is a huge leap over the Wii so let's not forget about that. sure the Wii u wouldn't be able to run Titan Fall as good as the xbone Just like a good PC will run it even better
Mario kart 8 not only looks better than anything last gen but better than most games on ps4 and xbone so far, its also 60 fps which most games on the newer consoles fail to have. I'm not impressed at all with any next gen system tbh well not yet anyway. Nintendo keeps shooting themselves in the leg, the ps4 has no games Microsoft keeps trying to screw over people the whole thing sucks but I have faith it'll get better before it gets worse
You make a good point but I don't feel like the Wii u is a generation behind like the Wii was so far I don't see any proof of that

Doma

Doma said:

The same goes for you as it does for the others, please knock it off. Keep your comments focused on the article at hand and not on your fellow users. We won't ask again — TBD

stealth

stealth said:

Dengeki and famitsu had 3DS as number 1, so I am not sure how accurate any of these trackers are

ChrisD

ChrisD said:

Nice to see Vita take top every once in a while. It's as great a system as the 3DS. Love them both. If only the general public shared that sentiment.

MC808 said:

@LDXD You make good points as well. There's nothing I'd like better than to see the WiiU reach it's full potential.
Wow. Someone calls this site a "craphole", I ask why bother participating in said "craphole", my comment is summarily deleted, and the "craphole" remark by the other user is untouched. I didn't expect you to remove the user's comment, it's not really a big deal, but the last thing I expected was for my comment to be removed. Seems like unbalanced moderating to me, if I'm allowed to even say that.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

People arguing over the PS2? Well that's something you don't see much these days.

Anyways, back on topic. The 3DS seems to be in a major sales slump in Japan, which is likely due to the lack of new releases as well as the tax increase. Keep in mind that the majority of the games that North America and Europe have been getting lately are localisations of games that have been in Japan for a while. Japan doesn't get any major 3DS game until Mario Golf, followed by Yoshi's New Island, Smash Bros, and Persona Q over the summer. Then there's MH4U in fall, which will definitely boost sales over there.

@MAN1AC The fact that Nintendo has shifted their resources between the two systems at all, let alone twice, says a lot. They should be able to focus on both at the same time, but it's clear that this is not the case.

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

@MundaneName ehhh I feel like Sony put them selves in the bad position with the vita i feel that they shouldn't had rushed the vita out and waited a few to announce it (maybe mid 2012) rather than going into immediate competition with the 3DS but that's just me :/

GamerJunkie

GamerJunkie said:

I have a Vita and its just a better machine in every way. It is getting more and more good new games on it nowadays after a slow start. A report showed that developers are making way more Western games for this than 3DS and giving up developing for the 3DS. In Japan, Vita is also getting strong, so it is only a matter of time til it is the #1 handheld IMO.

It has every major PS1 RPG on it, For example, you can play final fantasy 1 all the way to X-2 on this thing and tactics and every other one.

Tons of free games(over 20 even without ps plus) and then with PS plus, you get 2-3 top notch games free each month. Lots of free apps as well. There are apps for reading comics now too, that is a nice feature for those that enjoy that.

It also has an HD screen, a bigger screen, better touch, works more like a tablet, so its not just a gaming device, you can also listen to your own music while playing games, can watch movies in HD and a big enough size screen to enjoy it on all the apps like netflix, huluplus, crackle and so on.

It also has the off screen play with PS4 and lots of features using inline in game, many ways to interact with friends, its just a much more advanced piece of technology, 3DS had way more games since it is a lot older machine, but now that games are loading up on Vita, its going to start to move up the ranks more and more.

One more thing, Wii U is struggling bad and PS4 is selling great, the more PS4s sold, also raises Vitas sold, they have a high attach rate with PS4 buyers. 3DS is older and so it has peaked.

JimLad

JimLad said:

I think Nintendo are going to have to give up either handhelds or consoles if they are to survive. With little third party support on either they are clearly struggling to support both.

MC808 said:

@JimLad A world without Nintendo handhelds sounds like a bleak world to me. I for one would hate to see that happen. It's also downright depressing for me to think devices with touch-screen controls only are the future of mobile gaming. :( Playing Angry Birds on an iPhone isn't my idea of mobile gaming, but sadly that's becoming the minority opinion.
@GamerJunkie While the Vita's OLED screen is absolutely gorgeous, it actually isn't HD.