The Wonderful 101 Saving Wallets on Wii U eShop

Posted by Tim Latshaw

Ninja Gaiden, Game & Wario also discounted

It isn't too difficult to find a physical copy of The Wonderful 101 for a villainous price, but now the digital counterpart has been slashed as well.

The quirky superhero action game has been reduced to $29.99 on the Wii U eShop, and it looks like this is a permanent drop. Players who have been wanting to get wacky with Game & Wario or be sneaky death incarnate in Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge can also find both titles on the eShop for the same price.

Please note that this price is what is currently reflected in the United States. Some players are reporting slightly higher prices in Canada, so make sure you check your tags.

Interested in picking up any of these titles? Let us know!

[via nintendoeverything.com, neogaf.com]

Related Games

ikki5

ikki5 said:

totally worth it. I got the hard copy and I love it :D

To bad a lot people don't like trying new things.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

I got W101 for $30 at Target a few months ago.
Glad to see these prices though, there's hope for digital sales from Nintendo games yet!!

Turbo857

Turbo857 said:

Nice! I liked the demo a lot but at the time of release I couldn't do another $60 purchase. But at $30 it's a no brainer just like my recently purchased Rayman Legends.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Too many games on my wishlist and so little time (Deus Ex, The Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends...)

I don't care about the games drought. There are still more than enough.

Dave24

Dave24 said:

@Spanjard they have to make the money back somehow, so no. Like always, we will be stuck with highest prices for another year or two. At retail you can get it for 30 euro if I remember correctly, so that's the only cheap option.

xj220_afiles

xj220_afiles said:

I confirm for Canadian Gamers, W101 is now 34.99. G&W and Ninja G3 doesn't seems to have price reduction. sing party has drop to 19.99$ tough.

Daisaku36

Daisaku36 said:

I bought TW101 like a month ago, I ended up spending like $30 on it anyway. Is Ninja Gaiden 3 any good?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

If the digital version of 101 had shorter loading times, I would really download it and play the digital version instead.

I hope more people get it, digital or physical. I am currently playing Bayonetta and having a similar blast.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I really, REALLY wish I was more into this game. I want to support it as both a new IP and a Wii U title, but I didn't like the demo enough. The whole drawing mechanic is just a huge pain in the butt, and I can only wail on endless dudes for so long before I get bored.

But I hope a lot of people pick it up at this price, though I don't know why they wouldn't have already picked it up for $24 on Amazon.

burninmylight

burninmylight said:

Downloaded it at $60 on Day 1. Have yet to really get into it because of a tremendous backlog of games. Do not regret spending that much on it at all. This is the kind of game that reminds me why I love games.

faint

faint said:

@Daisaku36 I realy dug it. I put probably fifty hours in and it's still fairly eazy to get a online vs guild match going. I bought my copy for 25 buck new from amazon us

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

Got W101 months ago and haven't loved it yet. (Remorse)
On the other hand I've really enjoyed Game & Wario. Lots of wackiness = unique flavor of fun I keep going back to. Great pictionary implementation as well. If you play w/family/grandparents, it's a great pick-up.

JustinH

JustinH said:

I can confirm that I saw Sing Party on the Canadian eShop for $20 and W101 for $35. Didn't know about the other two.

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

@epicdude12302 sd cards only work in Wii mode. You can't download WiiU games to it. You'll need a portable hard drive.
Anyways, I might look into ninja gaiden 3, might get some practice before hyrule warriors comes out.
Also, it's about time some of the retail downloads got reduce considering how long they've been out.
Just a shame EA won't reduce Need for speed, but we all know what d-baggers they are.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

What took so long? It feels like they cut the retail price on TW101 months ago.

dumedum

dumedum said:

Good price. Wonderful 101 is $24 at amazon but on the eshop with DDP, and with the superior quality of digital, glad I didn't buy it physical yet and waited.

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

Wonderful 101 is my favorite Wii U game, next to Donkey Kong tropical freeze, Pikmin 3, and Super Mario 3D Worlds.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

Surprised to see Nintendo cut prices on their games on eShop.

Now if they cut the price on Yoshi's New Island and Pilotwings Resort...

King47

King47 said:

I have w101 but haven't played it yet I need to get through xenoblade first, and I just started that.
I also want to pick up pikmem.

TheRavingTimes

TheRavingTimes said:

I just bought the game 2 weeks ago .... Great game, it just has a dis-conjointed target audience with the looks of a game made for a casual audience, yet the gameplay is geared towards hardcore fans (unless you play on the easiest difficulty setting). Be sure to fail the quick-time events, they're hilarious.

Daemonite

Daemonite said:

that game saved wallets since the day it came out; nobody bought it.
Just kidding of course, big fan!

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

This Video here nails the real problem in the video game industry .

Gamers them selfs are killing the industry especially dude bro gamers.
People are not buying innovative games like the Wonderful 101 / Pikmin 3 / Zombi U. People want new I.P.'s yet new I.P.'s don't sell well.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

@TheRavingTimes
That's a very good point. I'm not sure I'd say 'casual' but I do see what you're getting at. I'm not really into superheroes or the bizarre Jap-American humour and, coupled with the garish colours, I just didn't enjoy the demo, which is a great shame. I still have high hopes for Bayonetta though.

Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice said:

@TheRavingTimes

For sure. It looks kid friendly, but is often quite challenging, especially the boss fights that sometime take a while to figure out how you are supposed to attack them.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I got this back at Christmas, but due to Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, a host of other games since then, and school, I've just kind of ignored it. I'll play through it sometime! I'm playing through on Normal. I guess that's why that guy with the huge sword practically slaughtered me (although I did win!).

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

@UltraGoldenrod I've tried both methods, and I hate them both. Even if I can get sort of used to it, it annoys my how un-intuitive and forced it is. I just feel like it's something they included just to do it, and it's a hurdle we shouldn't have to get over every time we want to play the game.

Samurairu

Samurairu said:

Was going to get this, but put off by being charged 17%. Total BS. I paid 12% to exchange some Canadian to US, if this is start of something, Nintendo can say goodbye to my e-dollars as I was buying eshop to support them, I can get cheaper at brick and mortar.

brucelebnd

brucelebnd said:

@BossBattles

I think real gamers either own the game or it's a game they would love. more often then not the "core" gamers talked about usually just play COD/GTA/Madden and that's about it, so of course a game like this doesn't appeal to them

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I have W101, good but not great game. Definitely worth $30 though. Its a little too short and awkward in its control scheme to be worth the full $60 pricetag though, imo. I paid that price, but in hindsight i think i'd have waited.

rylo151

rylo151 said:

Nope, they are all still $80 in Australia. Hopefully we get a cut on 101 soon. I really want to play it but it's still full price on eshop and in stores

AVahne

AVahne said:

Nice prices, I got the physical copy at release. Still, there are no retail games worth buying whatsoever on the eShop until Nintendo brings out an account system.

OmegaStar

OmegaStar said:

You guys left out SiNG PARTY. That shows how much no one cared about that game. What happened to the planned and promised DLC, Nintendo? Early 2013?

jdarrell

jdarrell said:

When I tried it, it seemed like a game I wouldn't want to play more than one mission at a time, which would make the digital version much more convenient. I'd rarely spend more than $20 on a digital game though.

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

Never played the game and probably never will, but I would love to see one of these characters in the new Smash Bros.

GeniusDan

GeniusDan said:

Kept meaning to get W101 but ended up getting other games on sale first. With the price drop I will def get it now seems like a unique game. G&W is worth the full price just for Shutter, Gamer, and Design alone, and some of the other games are cool too I would highly recommend it.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Game and Wario and Ninja Gaiden aren't dropped in North America.
Thanks Nintendo...
@Brickbuild101 They never promised that. They may have said they considered it.

OGGamer

OGGamer said:

@King47 By the time you finish xenoblade W101 will have had another price drop ; p
Savor every moment in xenoblade , it's a very long game that doesn't feel like it's dragging , to me at least . One of the best ever .

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

@TysonOfTime That one made sense, and was a control style that achieved something not otherwise possible, so I was happy to practice at it. (I also didn't find it as difficult as some people, as I cut my teeth years ago on Metroid Prime Hunters.) It's the fact that the system in W101 is shoehorned in that bothers me. It's like they just wanted to have some use for the gamepad, and also to stick the Okami drawing thing in.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

All three of these have now dropped into my radar. Well, W101 was already there, had been wanting to pick that up one of these days, but now there's even MORE incentive. At least these seem to be permanent, so I don't have to decide to get them all this second, my wallet doesn't get enough time to breathe as is...

gameboy1975

gameboy1975 said:

@bizcuthammer
To each thier own as they say, but for a beat em up, hack & slash kind of game, I think that it has more length, replay ability & definitely a steeper difficulty than some of these so called AAA blockbusters out here. Especially since it's not artificially inflated with hours of cutscenes with run on dialogue etc.

erv

erv said:

That is one great game, people should buy it. It's easily worth the full price, but reduced? I'd be on it right now!

cheleuitte

cheleuitte said:

I will buy them all 3 games because I dont own them physicaly yet so lest take advantage of my new external HDD 320GB!! ;)

defrb

defrb said:

When the digital prices are reduced, they will also be reduced in the webshops.
So i try to search my copies for under 20 euro in the webshops instead.

Specters

Specters said:

i got it on clearance at Best Buy for like $20, couldn't pass it up. Definitely an amazing game and I wish it did better. A must buy for all Wii U owners.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Will gladly pay full price for The Wonderful 101, but are this discounts really only for North America? Nothing similar for Europe?

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

@Samurairu I hear you there man, Nintendo don't seem to check exchange rates much for fair prices. Try checking out the UK £ prices compared to $ sometime, we get seriously ripped off at times!

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@Daisaku36 I had a copy of it on my Wii U when I bought it. The boss fights are quite fun but I found the game itself to be frustratingly linear, incredibly corny, and excessively violent. I've only done half a doven levels but I haven't bothered to play it in months. It does have online multiplayer though.

edhe

edhe said:

I've got £20 on my account (saved up for those GBA games), but if they were to extend this deal to Europe, I'd probably buy it. Then I'll have to pzy out for the GBA games on top of that.

TysonOfTime

TysonOfTime said:

@DerpSandwich
To each their own. After one hour I began to fully accept the drawing system, and after two I realized the game would not be as fun without it.

GuruOfGreatness

GuruOfGreatness said:

Bought physical copy of TW101 on release day, and I think, along with Pikmin 3 (probably more so TBH as I haven't completed Pikmin yet) that it was my most addictive game last year. Could not put the damn thing down. Was a shame when I finally completed it lol. Recommend it to ANY Wii U owner. Original, fun, challenging, humorous and beautifully designed :)

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Once again, it's cheaper to get a physical copy. Ninja Gaiden, in particular, you can find for like, fifteen bucks. I loves me some Wonderful 101, though, for real.

sevex

sevex said:

On the Canadian eShop The Wonderful 101 is $34.99. Game & Wario is $39.99. (Same as retail I guess.)