Weirdness: Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder Has a Virtual Butt Removed in North America

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Won't somebody think of the children!

Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder is out now on the 3DS eShop in North America, and is certainly a title full of charm and potential. It utilises the device's camera for a quirky object finding quest, bringing back the franchise that began on GameCube and had two DS releases, one of which was Japan-only.

As has proven the case with various titles over recent months and years, however, the process of localisation can lead to some strange changes and, in some cases, censorship. Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder is no different, as it's had a virtual butt removed in the North American version. While a cartoon bum on a talking can may not seem like the most offensive thing in the world, it has nevertheless disappeared.

You can see the evidence below, courtesy of YouTuber WiiFolderJosh. Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder won't be responsible for corrupting the minds of children, no siree!

Thanks to nintendomasterr for the tip.

ROBLOGNICK

ROBLOGNICK said:

If we get it in the UK, I hope they put it back in. We'd find it funny rather than offensive, surely?!

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Hahahaha, come on! Would anyone complain about a butt-shaped corn on a can in a videogame?
That's like saying peaches are sexist!

Rockgamer

Rockgamer said:

There's a slight error, as the first Chibi Robo DS game was released outside of Japan.

FishieFish

FishieFish said:

Tharja's bottom also got blocked in the Fire Emblem: Awakening DLC in North America too.

Baum897

Baum897 said:

@element187 not necessarily. Stuff like that just gets "censored", because of the american culture. I doubt they would've changed it in the PAL versions if those were localised first, but the rating organisations in the US seem to have a soft spot for things like that, while the same thing applies to blood and gory scenes here in Europe (well at least for the USK, I think PEGI is slighty less strict)

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

And yet we get half naked teen pop stars shoved down our throats every 10 minutes here.

Donutman

Donutman said:

We in the United States believe its offensive to have a virtual butt on a can in a video game, but it's totally fine to dress a 16 year old girl in a 2 piece bikini and make her dance around on stage lip syncing and grinding up on 22 year old boys.

ashlyquin

ashlyquin said:

It does look like a fun game...... THIS particular version of censorship is boo........

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

How long until the review? I never played the Gamecube original or the DS sequels, but I do know some of them are quite emotional. I was kinda put off by the photo gimmick, but if ends up being another well-crafted platformer with a heartwarming storyline, I may just give it a go.

N64ever

N64ever said:

They censor in America because our people get offended by the craziest things. Nudity bad but showing heads getting shot off that's okay. Same with our movies.

Sparx

Sparx said:

Inb4 tons of people saying they would have bought it, but won't now because of censorship

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

And I thought Sir Mix-a-Lot got us to be more accepting to butts. :D

I like big butts on a can of Lemon-Lime,
You other brothers can't deny.

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

@All
Remember that there is a demo out in NA for Chibi-robo. I downloaded it last night thinking eh, i'll just give it a quick try and delete. To my surprise, i actually liked it. Going to continue the demo until i complete it, wait for the review and I might end up getting this one. :) Try it out if you have doubts. Free Demo in the eShop!

spidey1010

spidey1010 said:

To me, this looks less like censorship and more like rebranding to make the scene more familiar to a different audience.
It's not like it's the same can, just with a butt removed. It's an entirely different can.

Of_Folsense

Of_Folsense said:

OH NO! I already bought this game, and your telling me I bought a incomplete game?!? Where is the butt I was promised Nintendo!

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

Come on everybody, we gotta think about the future adults here, because after all, they can crawl into small places you couldn't normally reach.

GC-161

GC-161 said:

@Baum897

Yeah, in the UK things have gotten silly with the censorship too. Like with the anti-ninja movement in the 80's that forced Konami to sell their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games under the name Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles.

Ninja Gaiden was changed to Shadow Warriors.

Not as bad as Contra being transformed into a game about robots though (Probotector)

yoshisaredragon

yoshisaredragon said:

I love chibi robo, too bad that my photo finders lighting is crazy and shows everything much darker and almost never recognizes an object due to the darkness.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I got the game yesterday but I could not try it. I could not care less about this, though. I actually prefer the DK in the background.

Gioku

Gioku said:

...lol...

I wouldn't have known anything was wrong unless it had been pointed out to me. :P
That part of the game is still just as fun! ;)

Ash_Anne

Ash_Anne said:

@Shadow_Chad6982 I was just about to type that! Seriously, NoA needs to check out Cartoon Network or Nickalodeon sometime. A can name a few cartoons that have cartoon butts in them.

Shane904

Shane904 said:

So the Japan version is a bit cheeky, eh?
NoA seems to be changing some very trivial things in their games for the 3DS releases. A bit silly in my opinion.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

Damn you, Reggie!! NoA sometimes can have a very close minded attitude : / It's just a silly cartoony butt, why the censorship? It's even useful because that way you can identify wich is the front and the back of the object. This is why we barely have some cool and crazy games that Nintendo Japan releases.

@FutureAlphaMale LOL! Butt DLC for just $4.99!

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

And to this I say who cares. It's just a minute change that may have not even been intentional. Still getting this.

Squid

Squid said:

How dare Nintendo wipe away our butts like that. Those are our butts, we don't need people wiping them off! In America, we can wipe our own butts, thank you!

Doma

Doma said:

The localisation teams at Nintendo are in desperate need of a reality slap.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

They kicked the butt, literally. They must not have known that butts have been a gag in cartoons since the beginning.

kamifox1

kamifox1 said:

What about Animal Crossings peaches? I always thought they looked like butts. :p

gregrout

gregrout said:

Really?! It's been 50 years America... let's get some pants on donald and daffy duck.... perverts. ;P

kamifox1

kamifox1 said:

@GC-161 Don't forget the peeing boy and the infamous/famous statue with the you-know-what (forgot the statues name) showing in Animal Crossing too!

kamifox1

kamifox1 said:

In all seriousness though, this is pretty ridiculous. What, are kids supposed to never see another naked body in their entire lives (male or female)?! If so, poor kids! O_o

Maskeraid

Maskeraid said:

If Nintendo thinks the west is this innocent, they're rather uninformed. Maybe they should watch some American TV, that does a good job of demonstrating what the worst of society looks like (cough honey boo boo cough).

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

It's not like the butt was graphic, it's a can for crying out loud. I believe that it got censored because the can is a woman. On tv here, it is more accepted to see a male butt than to see a female without the program being rated tma or rated r.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Well, regardless if you agree with censorship or not, it's always been around, and it'll always be around. And it's not just Nintendo. It's certainly not just NoA. Everyone censors their games to some extent when localizing. That's just how it is. Games get rated, and ratings matter. And I know some people don't want to accept this, but there are alot of uber-sensitive people out there, who never fail to get offended at things. There are over 300 million citizens in the US alone. And alot of them are stupid enough to make a fuss about even the smallest things. Sometimes, it's just better to take the butt off the can of fruit, ya know?

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Andrewroxsox
That's actually a good point. Only FEMALE behind is considered nudity on cable now, am I wrong? I know some TV shows have slapped me silly with a sudden random naked dude standing there. I'm like, why? Why would you do this to me?

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

I find it funny how most people are so passive of this and don't really care. Yet the second they find out Nintendo censored some slight exposure on some seductive female characters (Fire Emblem & Bravely Default) the entire internet is all "NO! THIS IS REPRESSING THE ORIGINAL WORKS AND CREATIONS OF THE PEOPLE WHO WORKED HARD TO MAKE THIS GAME! WILL NOT BUY! WILL NOT BUY! DO NOT SUPPORT CENSORSHIP! NINTENDO IS TREATING US LIKE KIDS!!!!"

Beta

Beta said:

Censoring stuff like this doesn't really bother me, it doesn't affect the story or gameplay at all.

MrPokirby

MrPokirby said:

Oh, Nintendo and your censorship. :D But still, aside from just how pointless that is to remove, you've still just gotta sit back and laugh at just how "for kids" Nintendo is trying to be.

MrPokirby

MrPokirby said:

@MrWalkieTalkie I understand what you mean completely, but I still feel like there's a difference between... oh, how should I put this? There's a difference between Sailor Mooning up young teenagers and drawing a cartoon butt on a soda can. Both are apparently bad in Nintendo's eyes, yet it's clear that one is far worse than the other, so I'm letting the non-existing complaints for THIS censorship slide.

kamifox1

kamifox1 said:

@Genesaur LOL I wouldn't know, I only played that for a short period back when my friend first got it on release. (I haven't been able to afford a WiiU yet, sadly)