Super Mario Bros. 3 Is Leaping To The Wii U And 3DS Virtual Console Services Soon

Posted by Christopher Costabile

The best NES entry is getting a new lease of life

Not since the movie The Wizard has Super Mario Bros. 3 been played on this many screens. It appears the game often touted as the greatest Super Mario of them all will be headed to the Wii U Virtual Console, as Nintendo’s main website has listed Super Mario Bros. 3 for its flagship system.

An identical listing also exists for a 3DS version of the game, indicating that Mario fans will be able to pick their portable poison with their choice of Mario 3 on the Wii U GamePad, 3DS, or even the newly released 2DS.

Famously introducing such series staples as the Koopalings and the Tanooki Suit into the Mario universe, Super Mario Bros. 3 caused a sensation upon its release way back in 1990. The game established the same tried-and-tested 2D formula later employed not only by Mario titles like Super Mario World and the New Super Mario Bros. series, but also by countless 2D platformers, most of which could never quite duplicate Mario 3’s near-perfect design and ingenious gameplay.

No definitive release date has been set for Super Mario Bros. 3, but with these two comprehensive listings appearing on Nintendo.com, expect an eShop release announcement in the very near future.

[via nintendo.com]

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Please make my prediction of unified account with the release of this game come true! Crap, just jinxed it.

CosmoXY

CosmoXY said:

I'll get this on my 3DS without a doubt. Bring on SMB2 as well please.

Edit: Thanks for pointing out that SMB2 is already on the eShop, I'll have to get on that. :)

Le_Gazman

Le_Gazman said:

The UK VC pricing is awful. I'd buy so many more games if they got it right. £5.49 for a SNES game, you're kidding right? I'd suggest £1.99 for NES, £2.99 for SNES and a max of £4.99 for N64 games.

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

@CosmoXY
SMB2 has been out for a while and its so much fun to have on the go. but SMB3 will be even better. i cant wait. its worth the 5 bucks i think.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@Le_Gazman I like the sound of those prices, BUT, I would rather the prices could fluctuate depending on the quality of the game.

Mario games may be worth £3.49, but Donkey Kong Jr... not so much.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'll be getting it on the 3DS. Super Mario Bros. 3; one of my favorite games of all time!

antipop621

antipop621 said:

After playing the version on GBA, I'd find it really hard to play the original again. SMB3 still impresses to this day though.

ajmetz

ajmetz said:

@Le_Gazman I hear ya'! [Would have clicked a comment like button if there'd been one]. £5.49 always seems so redundant. Just call it £5 why not? Any higher and it's no longer an impulse purchase, =S.

ajmetz

ajmetz said:

Most VC releases have just been the ROM basically, with no tweaks for the system, =/. But there were special 3D versions made of a few games for the 3DS. Do you think it's likely SMB3 will get any 3D Classics treatment?

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@ajmetz It won't Nintendo won't put any effort in for 3D Classics any more. I would preter the All Stars version but full size as a 3DS Classic. (Sega made HD versions of Jet Set Radio / Nights into Dreams / Sonic Adventure 2). I will get it anyway unfortunately which is probably what they are banking on.

ted-k

ted-k said:

@C-Olimar I agree. This and maybe the original Zelda are about the only NES games worth the price they're charging. All the others should be 3$ or less. But this game still feels as fun to play as it did 23 years ago and has a decent amount of content. My personal favorite is still Super Mario World though.

tsm7

tsm7 said:

This has been on nintendo.com as TBD for, literally, months now.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

YES!! Let's just hope it releases before Super Mario 3D World to keep the hype going. One of the greatest videogames of all time without a doubt.

J-Murdock

J-Murdock said:

Very nice please have a physical version releases as well. Nothing wrong with downloading but i much rather have the item i bought in hands.

Jave

Jave said:

Those entries on Nintendo's website have been there for months.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

I'm guessing this will release on November 22nd to coincide with the release of Super Mario 3D World.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@Nico07 Most likely on November 21st. It would have to be on a Thursday unless Nintendo decides to go outside of their normal release schedule.

Swiket

Swiket said:

Even though it's apparently been on their website for a while now, both Nintendo Life and My Nintendo News decided to report on this today. Hmm.

daveh30

daveh30 said:

About time. Now if they'd just do something about the account situation and make this available on crossbuy, we'd be all set.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

blah, i'm going to end up buying this on wii U and 3ds even though i have it on wii, wii mario all stars, nes, snes mario all stars, gba, computer, and online... but who cares its worth it

nocode

nocode said:

I'm really afraid to know just how much money this game has cost me over the past 23 years.

Blue_Dread

Blue_Dread said:

Did you know that if you type in "Super Mario Bros." on the 3DS eshop search, all the way at the end of the list you'll see Super Mario Bros. 3 with info. but no vids or release date.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

I've already got this on Wii and GBA, but I'll but this game as many times as I need to because it's so good!!!!!!

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@ClassicSonicFan Added it to my wishlist! There really is no other game like it...Until recently, SMW was my favorite Mario game, but now I know this one is better! It's my favorite Mario game and my second favorite game of all time! (Super Metroid being my favorite) Thanks for the tip @Conellossus !

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

@Conellossus
LOL, I actually do that a lot when I'm bored. It's usually successful, too. I added Pokemon to my wish list about 4 months before it was even released.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

@Giygas_95 I added it to my wish list too! SMB3 is my favorite game of all-time, Ocarina of Time is in second, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles is in third. Anyways, I am so excited! This game just can't come soon enough!

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Used to love this game, but I dunno. It got uberly boring to me later on, so I'm not going to get it. SMW is the best Mario platformer to me.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@ClassicSonicFan Come to think of it, I bet you're excited about 3D classics Sonic the Hedgehog! :) I'm gonna get it...It'll be my first Sonic game in a way. (Had Sonic Battles 2 on Gamecube, but never liked it)

daveh30

daveh30 said:

Right now, I've got Super Mario Bros. on 3DS VC, Super Mario Bros. 2 on Wii U VC, and Super Mario Bros. 3 on Wii VC. Nintendo NEEDS a cross-platform account system!

Blue_Dread

Blue_Dread said:

@JustinH Apparently you don't understand the AWESOME POWER this game beholds. If this game was added to both Eshops since being on the website for how many months? Three? Four?

JustinH

JustinH said:

@Conellossus I love the game, I just don't understand why Nintendo Life is aping MyNintendoNews, or why either picked this specific date to announce that SMB3 was on Nintendo.com/games, when it's been there for at least a month or so.

JustinH

JustinH said:

On that note, the original Toki Tori went up on Nintendo.com/games as a Nov. 7 release some time this weekend. That's arguably newsworthy.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

It would be great if this was the game that Nintendo starts the unified accounts with. I have it for Wii VC and it would be amazing to pay the upgrade cost and have it playable on my 3DS and Wii U.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

Let's hope it's emulated better than the Wii VC version. Those washed out colors were awful!

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Yes!! It TRULY is the best Mario of them all.. I played this one for hours and hours and years as a kid and would still play it, just like SMB2 and SMB, from the very beginning! So excited to see this being rereleased, it really is where modern day Mario games took off and were so inspired by.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@Conellossus: Ahh, I was wondering if I misunderstood you or not before... I still remember the first time I played this at somebody's camper at the campground we used to frequent. Only second to Super Mario World.

Blue_Dread

Blue_Dread said:

This game will be great to play with my brother, too. Now, what we need is for my brother to get Eshop money so he can get this game, too. Luckily, I still five dollars.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Not only have these listings been on the site for WEEKS, they already announced the game for VC by the end of the year in a Nintendo Direct a while ago. So what part of this is newsworthy?

@brooks83: In my experience, the Wii had weird color issues with NES across the board that the Wii U does nor share. So I don't think it should be an issue.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

@Stuffgamer1 This is newsworthy because Nintendo doesn't always follow up on their Nintendo Direct announcements in a very timely manner, they say "Q4 release" or something and that could be January or March, etc. So to have this game mentioned as being 'on the way' just makes it a little more believable! lol

Paperluigi

Paperluigi said:

Its a great game and Ill seriously consider buying it, but....its the end of 2013, why has it taken Nintendo soooo long to add the old Wii VC games to Wii U???. If Nintendo dont have the time they should pay someone else to do it. The old Wii VC NES, SNES, N64, Neo Geo, Master System, Mega Drive , PCEngine library should have been availabe straight away complete with gamepad suppoort. Then the logical step would be to add Gamecube to the VC. Nobody wants to wait 5 years for the Wii U VC to get to the same level as the Wii VC.

Vriess

Vriess said:

It's about time! Nintendo and the 3rd party developers/publishers are waiting to long too rerelease the VC games. It annoys me!!

@ Paperluigi
Someone like-minded eh! :) We should start a petition or something. It surprises me how little people speak up about this.

Paperluigi

Paperluigi said:

@Vriess

Its frustrating, I'd love to upgrade most of my Wii VC library for gamepad support but its taking too long. I'll be happy once Nintendo start announcing a lot more for the Wii U VC. And if Reggie is listening, 'My wallet is ready'.

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

@Paperluigi
It has nothing to do with them lacking the time or manpower or anything. It's all business. If they'd release hundreds of games at once, only a fraction of those games would be bought. Everybody'd go just for Mario, Zelda and the likes.
By releasing games as slowly as they are, they are increasing potential sales for each individual game. When something like Final Fight is the highlight of the week, people are going to buy it, simply because there isn't anything else to get and because it's getting attention on the shop itself, on news and review sites and among gamers in forums and whatnot.

Vriess

Vriess said:

@KeeperBvK
You are probably right, but for me it till does not excuse the agonizing slow release rate of previously released Wii VC games. Is a steady release of 2 to 4 games every week so much to ask?

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

True. I'd love to see more games being released, too.
At least, we haven't had weeks as abysmal as the worst on Wii VC. I remember a week where we in Europe would only get Double Dribble.

So far on WiiU VC we usually get at least either a bunch of (weak) games or a single wortwhile game or even a bunch of great games each week.

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

I'll pass. I know it goes completely against popular opinion, but this was always my least favourite Mario game. Completed it the day it came out and didn't return to it until last year. Still didn't like the overall feel of the game then. Weakest Mario soundtrack for me too.
I'm in agreement with Le Gazman though, but would go further and halve those figures. The prices of so many VC ROMs is a disgrace.

Paperluigi

Paperluigi said:

@KeeperBvK

Thats a fair point and I agree Nintendo needs to get the marketing right but the Wii U needs games and the VC is an easy way to get them onto the eshop. I also dont think NES is the priority when you have a colsole as powerful as the Wii U. Super Mario Bros 3 is great but we got Pinball last week and now Donkey kong 3, I just think thats not as important as getting the N64 games up or releasing more SNES titles, for example Zelda a link to the past.

Kirk

Kirk said:

I wish they'd made a 3D Mario game that looked like that artwork :D

They're slowly getting there with the likes of Super Mario 3D Land/World but it's still not quite captured the true magic and look of the 2D art imo.

Also, although I say 3D I still think I like the 2D gameplay better, so I'd probably create everything in 3D then lock the camera, controls and gameplay in classic 2D for the most part with the full 3D camera and stuff only being used for cut-scenes and maybe a few other special sections where it makes sense to go full 3D, like a Mario Kart inspired boss where you race against them in carts or something and going full 3D would be great.

Man would I love to see an ideal Mario 3D platformer like that...

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@brooks83
This goes for every Wii VC game. ;) More so with SMB3 and Legend of Zelda for some odd ball reason. Wii VC games look dark and have nasty washed out ugly colors vs how they're originall supposed to look. At least with the Wii U version, you can max out the color on your HDTV. :P

Anyways, i already have this CIB on my NES, i like my NES colors to be rich, colorful and vibrant thank you very much which you wont get on the Wii's VC, which may be the same deal for both the Wii U and 3DS SMB3 releases. Nothing to get excited over people, unless you still for some reason don't own an NES, never bothered to play it on the Wii's VC or MUST have it in portable form with Wii U's off play or the 3DS :P

nik1470

nik1470 said:

Since there was no WiiU VC title announced today I'm calling it last minute Direct followed by the release of SMB3 in Europe on Thursday.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

I have played this game so many times, and still to do this day, I play my original NES copy... but I am excited to see it come to WiiU and 3DS VC!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Yeah its been on the Wii Virtual Console, its been on the GBA, its been on Super Mario All Stars...

Everybody should have access to it today if they wanted to play it.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

The PAL version of All Stars has some speed optimization but it is not right. So you cannot even use it with a 60hz modded SNES.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

I think I would rather newer games on the VC, It is not a bad game... it is just we seem to see the same games over and over. (newer good games...not the crap that has been coming lately)

Marshi

Marshi said:

Wow! A 23 year old game ive bought twice in the last 3 years is coming to wiiu! This is so much better than any NEW vc release like that rubbish dreamcast or ghastly gamecube could provide! SLAMS HEAD ON DESK

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Mehhh... The "New" Super Mario Bros games have milked SMB3 so much I couldn't care less about it. Not that it was ever all-that special anyway.

withoutdk

withoutdk said:

i have all of them on the anniversary disc already... but nice to see SMB3... one of the best games ever made.

GuruOfGreatness

GuruOfGreatness said:

Alongside WWF No Mercy on the N64, this is undoubtedly my favourite game of all time full stop!!! Instant purchase for me!!!

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Overhype for a title that was released about 10 times in the last 20 years, with two versions (NES and SNES) already available on Wii/U. Now where is Terranigma, Ys III, ActRaiser 2, EVO: Search for Eden, Shadowrun, Pro Wrestling, Kung Fu, Earthbound Zero, Bangai-O, Tetrisphere, Maniac Mansion, Doom, etc. ?

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

But this game was released 6 years ago on Wii Shop, why mention it a... oh yeah, Nintendo wants us to buy it again.

@SKTTR
Earhtbound Zero would be great because it's already translated and it's the only game in the series I haven't played.

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

I all ready own this on the wii mario allstars disc but its greatit's coming to wii-u for new gamers.
I hope they make a true WiiU mario allstars in volumes with all the games this time.
Like a mariokart vol 1 with mariokart snes, n64, gamecube,wii.
vol:2 all the mario platform games on 2disc.
Vol 3 mario golf's, sport events.

gohanrage

gohanrage said:

I would of rather they release Super Mario All Stars since I like the Graphic Improvements

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

I am more excited about Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past being the Club Nintendo game this month. Although I probably will upgrade SMB3 when it finally gets released (I saw it on the Nintendo site quite some time ago).

Blue_Dread

Blue_Dread said:

You know, Nintendo should do an Ambassador type bundle where if you have Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, and Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels, then you can get Super Mario Bros. 3 at no charge.

Yoshis95

Yoshis95 said:

It would be sweet if they added the ability to play this in 3D. Maybe get the pop-up book look.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

I wonder though... with the Mario Bros. mini-game, they'd have to make the 3DS version Download-Play compatible, wouldn't they?

anthonypokemon

anthonypokemon said:

this game is my very first video game ive ever play when i was 3 years old in 1990 and its still my favorite game to this day

elstif

elstif said:

I remember I cry for days and drove my mom crazy until she bought this game for me. I played this for thousands of hours
@TruenoGT Yes please unified account, the way things are now it´ll be difficult to choose between the big screen or portability
I like VC and buy for convenience so I dont have to keep connecting and disconecting my old consoles to play but I for sure won´t be paying for this twice so I can play on Wii U and 3DS

Blue_Dread

Blue_Dread said:

I have the GBA cart of this game. I can't play anymore because I don't own a GBA anymore. Hurry and bring this to the VC Nintendo!