Nintendo Download: 3rd October (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Crazy racing, retro brawling, classy puzzling and much more

It's Nintendo Download time once again, North America, and just a little later than normal this week. We have a fairly lengthy list for you to pore over, covering content on the Wii U and 3DS eShops as well as one DSiWare title. There's plenty to get through, so let's leap right in.

Wii U eShop

TNT Racers - Nitro Machines Edition (keen games, $7.99) — The original TNT Racers on WiiWare was a relatively fun racing game, and Keen Games has now stepped up to try and bring that and more to the Wii U; enhancements include new items to shake up races, additional modes, cars and tracks as well as online leaderboards. There's certainly a strong emphasis on local multiplayer, too, and we gave this a solid recommendation in our TNT Racers - Nitro Machines Edition review.

Wii U Retail Download

Just Dance 2014 (Ubisoft, $TBC) — Available from 8th October.

Wii U eShop Discount

Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation, $7.49 until 9th October, normally $14.99)

Wii U Virtual Console

Final Fight (Capcom, $7.99) — This is one of the original arcade conversions to the Super NES, and an iconic beat 'em up that's certainly welcome on the latest Virtual Console. We'll seek vengeance on the streets soon, while you can check out our rather personal story in the original Wii Virtual Console Final Fight review.

Final Fight 2 (Capcom, $7.99) — This second entry rights some wrongs of the first, including multiple playable characters and two-player co-op, though perhaps disappoints with some gameplay elements. You can see what we thought in our Wii Virtual Console Final Fight 2 review, while we'll take to the streets again to take a fresh look.

Final Fight 3 (Capcom, $7.99) — Rounding off the Super NES trilogy of titles hitting the Wii U VC this week, this one includes more brawling on the streets but also the option of an automatic two player mode where you play with the CPU. By our reckoning this third entry is certainly the best of the group, as explained in our Wii Virtual Console Final Fight 3 review.

Wii U Virtual Console Promotion

Buy any of Final Fight, Final Fight 2 or Final Fight 3 and receive 50% off other fighting games such as Street Fighter II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting — see the eShop for details on all eligible games.

3DS eShop

Picross e3 (Jupiter Corporation, $5.99) — No, this isn't a mashup of a popular puzzle genre with the annual LA gaming extravaganza, but the third in the 3DS eShop franchise. Slipping past its previously estimated September release, this is likely to bring more of the clean, enjoyable Picross action with which many of us are familiar. We'll bring you a review soon.

Family Bowling 3D (Arc System Works, $4.99) — After a fairly lengthy spell where the 3DS eShop bypassed the concept of virtual ten-pin bowling, all of a sudden there are now multiple options available. Arc System Works continues its Family range of games, allowing up to four players to take each other on in multiple modes, while solo bowlers can also take on some challenges. We'll dig out our custom made bowling ball, step into some smelly rental shoes and let you know what we think.

Happy Circus (Moving Player, $3.99) — Another title to join the steadily growing library of education games on the 3DS, this one promises to help youngsters learn to read and count in six languages, all wrapped in a cute circus animal bow. We'll bring you our review very soon.

Halloween: Trick or Treat 2 (Microvalue, $7.99) — It feels slightly early to be considering a Halloween game, and yet here it is. This is a sequel to a DSiWare title, and once again promises to deliver a mixture of object finding and mini-games; in truth the original got an absolute mauling in our review. Is this one terrifying in all of the wrong ways? We'll let bygones be bygones and give this a chance to spook us out in our upcoming review.

3DS eShop Demo

Witch & Hero (CIRCLE Entertainment, free)

3DS Retail Downloads

Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure (SEGA, $19.99) — This terrific rhythm game from SEGA makes a rather belated appearance on the 3DS eShop, and we were certainly big fans in our review.

DSiWare

Jewel Quest 5 - The Sleeping Star (Tulip Games, $7.99) — There's been a few Jewel Quest games in recent times, and now North America can enjoy the latest entry on DSiWare. You match gems, much like its predecessors, yet we feel that a lacking execution and absence of flair combine unfavourably with a fairly generic concept; check out our Jewel Quest 5 - The Sleeping Star review for the full lowdown.

Quite a lot to choose from this time around, so let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (291 votes)

TNT Racers - Nitro Machines Edition (Wii U eShop)

Just Dance 2014 (Wii U retail download)

Little Inferno (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Final Fight (Wii U Virtual Console)

Final Fight 2 (Wii U Virtual Console)

Final Fight 3 (Wii U Virtual Console)

Picross e3 (3DS eShop)

Family Bowling 3D (3DS eShop)

Happy Circus (3DS eShop)

Halloween: Trick or Treat 2 (3DS eShop)

Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure (3DS retail download)

11%

Jewel Quest 5 - The Sleeping Star (DSiWare)

Just the Witch & Hero demo for me

11%

Nothing for me this week

45%

Please login to vote in this poll.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

TNT Racers, finally! Should get it when I get home tonight.

The Little Inferno promotion sounds good, too. I'm just afraid that, from what I've seen of the game, it'll get boring fast. Is there anything more to it than burning stuff? Any sort of strategy at all?

muchB1663R

muchB1663R said:

This game drought has got to stop. i am sick of watching all these Nintendo Directs and nothing ever comes out!! i haven't bought a game in months!!!!!

sorry for the rant

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

I've always wanted to get Rhythm Thief... maybe I'll download it if the price is good!

ArkOne77

ArkOne77 said:

Glad I'm getting physical copy of WWHD tomorrow! This line up isn't very exciting.....TNT Racers maybe????

Ninty needs to tighten up on the VC releases. This is getting depressing......

VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason said:

Sigh
I want Flipnote 3D.
Not that I was expecting it today, but it's been "delayed" two months already.
COME ON!!!!!

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Eh, nothing interests me this week. Just as well, I have Rune Factory 4 coming in the mail tomorrow. <3

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I will pass on Final Fight since the SNES was the inferior version. They took out Guy, made it one player and took out the Industrial level as well. I have the real arcade version on XBLA. Now Final Fight 2 and Final Fight 3 I will be picking up for sure.

I wonder if there is a discount for getting those two or is it just Street Fighter?

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

I'd like to get TNT Racers, but I don't have much money at the moment, and getting this game isn't a top priority.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Still waiting for SMB3 to release so that I can update it to the WiiU version. Other than that, I'll see what the Club Rewards are Monday and wait for Wii Fit U and Wii Sports Club Bowling to appear.

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

.These games don't excite me..Wasnt shovel knight to be released by now? Im going to wait patiently for3d world to be released.Thank goodness im picking up Ww tomm from gamestop

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

That FF promo sounds good, as I want FF3 and I could use a SF. I will check on that later.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

Thank goodness they put Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure on the eShop. I can't find that game anywhere, and I really enjoyed the demo.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Probably picking up FF3 and maybe FF2 if the promo pricing applies to FF games as well as SF games.

Also, just went to the eShop and noticed the new music for the first time! Did this come with the update on Monday? Not bad, but still doesn't nearly beat the original Wii Shop and DSi shop tunes in my opinion.

CapnPancakes

CapnPancakes said:

Ok, Rhythm Thief it is. I might need another SD card with all these great titles coming out on the eShop though.

odd69

odd69 said:

These updates i thought would get alot better, the 3ds is the king obviously.Its the system thats getting everything unlike the WiiU, which is still boring me to death.

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

"America can enjoy Jewel Quest 5" Riiiiiiight.

Nothing for me this week. I've still got alot of games to buy anyway.

Late

Late said:

Wait... WHAT? Rhythm Thief (North America) $19.99. Rhythm Thief (Europe) 44,99€. What's going on? I would download it instantly if it were 20€.

idork99

idork99 said:

Nothing this week.

And I just got a Wii U as well but there really isn't anything I want to play on it...yet ;)

paburrows

paburrows said:

I think that the speed of releases is great, theres nothing this week, but I have a bunch of games that I'm behind on Downloading.

LDXD

LDXD said:

Looks like I'm getting final fight 2&3, street fighter ll turbo and little inferno

DiSTANToblivion

DiSTANToblivion said:

Guess I must be easy to please because I think I've still got plenty to play on Wii U. Some games I've finished, but since the replay value is good I'll still be enjoying them... W101, Pikmin 3 and NSLU; not to mention the downloadable titles I still have and Wind Waker HD plus Sonic Lost World too.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

@muchB1663R
There is no game drought for the 3DS. An eshop drought, yes, but the 3DS has not wanted for major releases this year. Almost every month has had at least one major release.

Unless you mean the Wii U, in which case I agree.

Deadstanley

Deadstanley said:

The only thing good about eShop VC drought is that I don't have to weep over my bank statement at the end of the month.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Super Street Fighter IV 3D is on the eShop too. And it's only 19.99 too. God I am so tempted to download both games. But I am trying to save that money for Pokemon Y on the eShop.

mamp

mamp said:

I only have a 3DS and nothing good as of late. Hopefully the good stuff starts coming out soon. Also yes I mean the eShop because if I leave a hole in my sentence that's opened to interpretation someone has to use it to start an argument.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

FYI that the Final Fight promotion does NOT extend to other Final Fight games, ONLY the 3 Street Fighter games. I purchased FF3 and the discount only appeared for SF2, SF2T and SSF2. Bummer.

OptometristLime

OptometristLime said:

Wow looks like Rhythm Thief is (back) on the menu!
$20 is certainly in line with my budget for an eShop title.
celebrates

feelthesarcasm

feelthesarcasm said:

I'm so glad Rhythm Thief is on the eshop. The prices on Amazon for it are ridiculous ($38 bucks USED) and I haven't had a chance to play it yet victory dance

Marks

Marks said:

I'll get Rhythm Thief another time but I'm happy it's on the eShop

Ryno

Ryno said:

@Tasuki: Yeah, I am with you. I have Final Fight on PSN and Final Fight ONE on GBA so no reason to get the inferior SNES port. However, I do want Final Fight 2 & 3 on WiiU VC but since I have the two Street Fighter's that I wanted already during their previous sale, I want a buy 1 get 1 50% for Final Fight 2 & 3.

@TruenoGT: Thanks for the head's up on the promotion. I will wait to Final Fights appear on sale.

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

Guys, Little Inferno is actually $4.99 on the eShop - its original price is $9.99, remember?

speedyboris

speedyboris said:

@Tasuki Don't forget turning Poison & Roxy into full-fledged guys, changing "Oh my God!" to "Oh, my car!", missing a few frames of animation, missing the scene transitions (knocking down doors, etc.), and changing some of the boss names (Sodom = Katana, Damnd = Thrasher). Really, the only reason I'm buying the first game back is out of nostalgia, because it really does pale in comparison to the arcade, as well as the Sega CD and X68000 ports.

I go back and forth about which of the sequels I like better. Both are pretty solid games, though the second game "feels" more like the first Final Fight in terms of its game engine. Which of course is a huge plus.

iphys

iphys said:

Been trying to find a copy of Rhythm Thief for $20 for a while, since I saw it on sale for that price at EB but couldn't find a copy at local stores. Was sort of hoping it would come to the eShop. Yay!

Rafie

Rafie said:

Like others...I'm getting FF2&3. Other than that, nothing else. I have to save my loot for some upcoming games. :)

JustinH

JustinH said:

I was going to get a Final Fight game and pick up SSF2, but I don't know Final Fight well (the only game I have played like, at all is Mighty Final Fight) and I wanted to know which one I should get. You've all made it clear to me! Thanks.

DarrelltheJ

DarrelltheJ said:

I really want to pick up at least final fight 1 and 2. But I currently don't have final fight money

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I wanted to know which one I should get.

Final Fight 3 is the best. But the first two have their charms too. FF3 has better quality backgrounds than FF2 but I find FF2 to have more interesting looking backgrounds than FF3 and more memorable music. Final Fight 3's backgrounds and music are kinda bland and lifeless. Final Fight 1 is a classic but like others have said, its a cut-down port of the arcade game. Yes, its inferior but I think its unfair to expect a more accurate port from at the time of its release. It was one of the very first SNES games and unlike Super Mario World and F-Zero for example, it was a port, not a game designed around the capabilities of the SNES. A more accurate port could have been released later but it would have been pointless to do so. Final Fight Guy was an unnecessary release IMO.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Rhythm Thief will become my 1st eShop full retail title purchase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That game is crazy expensive now over here in the US, I think the game sold very poorly over really hope it gets a 2nd life on the eShop!!!!!

reptar-on-ice

reptar-on-ice said:

Rhythm Thief
UK £39.99 is about $65
US $19.99 is around £ 12.30

and that is why I avoid the UK eshop. The games arrive late (if at all), over priced, and rarely receive a good discount.

Nintendo seriously need to step up with some pricing rules to make sure customers in different countries aren't ripped off like this anymore. The price should be the same, or as close as possible to the same, in each territory.

Katzii

Katzii said:

Oh, come on.

North America got Picross-e3 but Europe didn't?

Load of nonsense.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@muchB1663R
Not on VC, no, and I'm getting sick of that myself. But as for retail releases there are so many games hitting us on Wii U and 3DS I can't even count. SIX new games for my Wii U in just the last 60 days, and 3DS has been consistent all this year with Fire Emblem: Awakening, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, DKC Returns, Animal Crossing, SMT 4, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, and soon Pokémon X/Y, Sonic Lost World, Zelda Link Between Worlds and Mario Party: Island Tour.

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

@rjejr It's a decent diversion game. Might not be one for the kids, though. More than a bit creepy. Maybe play a bit by yourself to double-check before you let them loose on it.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

For those of you complaining about the eShop drought, go check Nintendo's official Youtube channel. They just posted trailers for 8 different indie games that are releasing in the next few weeks. Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails, Treasurenauts, Grinsia, Knytt Underground, Armillo, and Siesta Fiesta on the Wii U eShop, and Jett Rocket II and Retro City Rampage on the 3DS eShop.

Darb

Darb said:

All three Final Fight games at once? That's a pretty cool surprise.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@ricklongo

What you can do in Little Inferno is to make "combos", this is to burn two or more particular objects at once to get an achievement. There are around 90 of those, and similar to achievements its name hints to what you need to do.

I got it when it was discounted a few years back and I did not regret it.

Humphries90

Humphries90 said:

Whaaaaaaat!?! Why is Rhythm Thief $19.99 in america and £40 in the UK!? That's just atrocious.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@muchB1663R Plenty of good games have come out. What are you talking about? There has been a drought for a weeks, tops. If you have 3DS, buy Steamwold Dig. Game is basically averaging a 9 on reviews. What more do you want?

dings

dings said:

Just a heads up, I bought Final Fight 3 for 1.50 using the upgrade discount and it unlocked the discount for Street Fighter! More gaming for your buck!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@XCWarrior Depends what your tastes are - it is not like with the SNES where every month there was something really good for pretty much everybody.

dings

dings said:

These discounts are going to kill me, Bit.Trip.Runner 2, Fiery Inferno, FF/SF combo discounts and MH3U back at half off today only... whelp, see ya, money!

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Captain_Gonru - Creepy isnt good. My wife didn't want the kids playing Puppeteer after the demo and that game is hilarious, same self aware style as Kd Icarus.

Thanks for the heads up.

tcpunx

tcpunx said:

I snagged both Final Fight 1 and 3, as well as taking advantage of the Street Fighter promotion. I love beat-em-ups and I wanted to have a fighter available to play on my Wii U gamepad :)

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

What a useless week for the 3DS! No NES VC 2 weeks in a row? Still waiting for to catch up with EU(Star Soldier, River City Ransom, and Milon's Secret Castle). C'mon Nintendo...

Purple

Purple said:

but... b.. bu... but where?!... Where are the Nintendo 64 games for Wii U VC at?............

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

whoever hasn't tried witch and hero yet, try it now. it's addicting and the last level is impossible to beat (I have all the upgrades and still can't do it, but the game up to that point was fun)

ogo79

ogo79 said:

hey final fight, streets of rage called and left you a message, they want to kick yer a**!

PrincessSugoi

PrincessSugoi said:

Just Witch and Hero demo for me... probably for the best since I don't have much money anyway and the little I have to spare is for a couple of eshop titles I've been eyeing. Honestly... I'll be pissed if something I want comes to the VC next week. X-D

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@unrandomsam In this case, that's no excuse. Unless you only like one type of genre, there have been plenty of good 3DS eshop titles that have been released recently. He's just complaining to complain and won't try new IPs.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

The VCA version of Final Fight never arrived. I dowloaded the 2 and 3 years ago and i keep waiting FF 1 for arcade. I think i will go for SNES version.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@ThomasBW84 - Might want to update it again, Little Inferno is $4.99, on sale from $9.99. (here in NY).

I know its only $2.49 less than $7.49 but I might buy it now.

PS - Wii U internet acess is so much better wired with my old Nyko Wii adaptor.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

@ogo79
Well that's true; however, Final Fight was originally called Street Fighter '89 back when Streets of Rage was non-existence so if Streets of Rage wants a fight they had to deal with the rest of the other Street Fighter too (not counting SF 2010). Remember Final Fight had already taken it to the streets even before Bare Knuckle got the streets in their game.

Slayer

Slayer said:

Lengthy list, not many games to be wanted. 45% of people so far aren't getting anything this week.
And developers honestly don't even try with DSiWare anymore. What happened to the awesome games that all wanted to play? Those who can't get a 3DS or a Wii U until Christmas or something have to enjoy their DSi. These people ruin it with their half-hearted games.