Rumour: Potential Wii U Pokémon Title Could be a Fighting Game Called Pokkén Fighters

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Or Pokkén Tournament, depending on trademark usage

During the recent Pokémon Game Show in Tokyo, a short video concluded with an image that sparked rumours of an upcoming Wii U game, as Mega Lucario and Mega Blaziken were shown facing off in what certainly looked like a sharp 3D graphical engine not beyond the realms of the Wii U.

While The Pokémon Company has said nothing, Siliconera has dug up video game trademarks for Pokkén Fighters and Pokkén Tournament, both registered in the U.S. by The Pokemon Company International on 15th August this year, just ahead of the game show in Japan. That's it as far as the rumour goes; trademarks have certainly pointed the way to plenty of games in the past, though on other occasions have led nowhere.

We're unsure of how this branding would fit, but check out the video again below (the tease is right at the end) and let us know what you think.

[via siliconera.com]

AMR

AMR said:

Please be true. Please be true. Please be true. Please be true. Please be true. Please be true.Please be true. Please be true. Please be true. Please be true. Please be true. Please be true.

Beta

Beta said:

A full Colosseum/XD Gale of Darkness-esque Pokemon game with all the Pokemon being catchable where you can battle like the anime by controlling your Pokemon with the control stick and doing actions yourself (Dodging, etc.)? A man can dream... ;_;
Something along the line of this:

Imagine this with online multiplayer D8

Emblem

Emblem said:

Either way im interested in a Wii U Pokemon game. 2014 release i'd wager.

deusy

deusy said:

This could really help the Wii U, with X and Y preorders going through the roof.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

A 3D Pokemon fighting game alá DBZ Tenkaichi (3rd person camera, free roam arenas, huge roster, maybe even complete, every unique move, evolutions instead of transfomations)...man...a man can dream :P

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Wow, YES PLEASE!

And it better be a real-time fighter if that's the case, not turn based. I'd buy that day 1! My interest in this just went from 0 to 100. I was sure it was going to be another "Stadium" game.

KeithTheGeek

KeithTheGeek said:

I have to be that guy and say the Pokemon pictured in the image aren't in their mega forms. They're just regular old Lucario and Blaziken.

The names sound interesting, seems to me like an obvious play on Tekken. Nintendo's been getting cozy with Namco-Bandai lately so...maybe? Could be why they picked out two of the more popular fighting types out there as well, if it really is a sort of fighting game.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Well that would be interesting to say the least. But would Nintendo really come out with a second fighting game besides Smash Bros.? I'm more leaning toward we just got shown two more Smash fighters and a new stage.

But I'd be happy to see a Pokemon fighting game.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Please be an rpg with real-time Tekken Tag Tournament style fighting! On the Wii U!

If they make that happen, they'll have to build several extra buildings at the Nintendo offices... JUST TO STORE ALL THE FRIGGIN' CASH!

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Wait, what? "Pokkén"? Why not "Pokémon Fighters"? Excuse me, are we back to the late nineties, when the then-newborn Pokémon franchise was still seen as the kiddy thing it has never been to begin with?

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

@XCWarrior
The footage we saw looks nothing like SSB4 though..It's not even the same artstyle. And it was shown last during a 'The Evolution of Pokemon games' clip. It's pretty safe to assume that the footage isn't SSB related, whatever it may be.

rjejr

rjejr said:

For those in the know on Tekken, is that a standard set-up for the 2 characters, front left and back right? I know that's how they align in Pokemon. If they do name it "Pokken" anything I don't see it selling very well. And if you control Pokemon as if they are fighters in a fighting game then this isn't really Pokemon at all. Sure those 2 'mon look good like that but most won't. Though if they go all 4-player Powerstone like Sony SHOULD have done w/ PSASBR (why take all those 3D game characters and make a very flat looking 2D game?) then OK, yeah I'll buy it. Looks kind of stationary though as they are.

Rumours, what are they good for, absolutely nothing.

dap005

dap005 said:

Please tell me this is a Namco Bandai and Nintendo collab. I mean come on 'Pokken'. Harada-san and Masuda-san, let it happen.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Sounds awful if you ask me!
Then again ive always thought that all home console pokemon games are, such wasted potential considering how much they get out of the handheld games.
Make an epic 3D Pokemon platformer or something, otherwise its just meh....

bmjy1000

bmjy1000 said:

Really a fighting game? Damn it! Why GAMEFREAK doesn't give us a console pokemon adventure game that we always wanted?

siconlol

siconlol said:

A Pokemon stadium type game is practically worthless now , their main pull into the audience was the whole 3D BATTLES! Sorta thing, with Pokemon x and y coming I doubt it will be a stadium sequel or even a Colosseum game as those are kinda living on in x&y just my opinion though

The-Chosen-one

The-Chosen-one said:

if this is true naruto style, pokemon game, would be cool if there is also a storymode. pokemon related where you actually walk with the pokemon trainer, and participate in battles, train your pokemon, or catch pokemon etc.

Interneto

Interneto said:

Nintendolife, you have a mistake there...

"During the recent Pokémon Game Show in Tokyo, a short video concluded with an image that sparked rumours of an upcoming Wii U game, as Mega (!) Lucario and Mega (!) Blaziken were shown facing off (...)"

Those are NOT their Mega evolutions since they are simply Lucario and Blaziken...

burninmylight

burninmylight said:

@DESS-M-8
"Ken" changes meaning based on context. "Tekken" means "Iron Fist," not "Iron Sword." So MonocledMetroid had it right the first time.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

For awhile now I’ve been thinking a Pokemon fighting game would be awesome. I'd rush into purchasing any Wii U fighting game on day 1.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

One thing's for sure, we know a new Pokemon game for the Wii U is real. The video shown above is an official video from the Pokemon Gameshow. What we don't know is just what kind of game it is. A fighting game seems likely due to the stances and type of Pokemon in that picture along with the confirmation of those trademarks...

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

If this is a proper fighter game with Blaziken and Lucario,then I will be all over it. Maybe this is to promote the mega-forms of Pokés? Maybe we'll see Ampharos or Absol playable too. :D Though I would prefer to see Pokémon like Scyther, Gardevoir, Breloom... Maybe even Sawk or Throh. Basically Pokémon that wouldn't feel out of place in a fighter. Wouldn't really want to use Hoppip or Luvdisc something. ...Actually, if Luvdisc is in this game I will insta-buy it.

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

I'm sure others have already pointed this out but there is nothing mega about that lucario and blazakin doing a comparison one can clearly see that that are the normal forms.

Also if this turns out to be a fighting game... That would be awesome!

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

might get sued for using a name similar to tekken but they're in good with them so it should be ok

Rafie

Rafie said:

I hope this is true. Nintendo getting another fighting game that they will never lose (looking at you Killer Instinct) will be a plus. The Pokemon franchise has a diverse field. It can be adventure, RPG, action, fighting, etc. Looking forward to it.

Moorpheel

Moorpheel said:

Imagine this: a fighting game where you can transfer your pokemon (any pokemon, or certain kinds [fighting pokemon or bipedal ones]) from the 3DS to the WiiU and their traditional moveset and stats affect their fighting performance.

It could be a huge project.

Onett

Onett said:

Looks like a Wii U battle simulator of the same ilk as Pokemon Battle Revolution. It wouldn't surprise me if this were one of the stages for a 'street battle.'

If this is an actual fighting game, I'd have to tip my hat to GameFreak for making such a bold move. I'm not quite sure how this is going to unfold. Fighting games aren't really my cup of tea, but it should be interesting to see how the character roster and move sets are handled.

The logo of the fist at the right of the image suggests that the Street Colosseum could be a fighting type gym. The logo could also be insinuating a fighting tournament exclusive to 'fighting type' Pokemon, hence 'Pokken Fighters' or 'Pokken Tournament.' This would also explain why we only see Lucario and Blaziken, both have 'fighting' in their typing.

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

@armoredghor
No they wouldn't. "tekken" (鉄拳) is Japanese for "iron fist", which doesn't exclusively refer to the Namco fighting game. The trademarked named here is ポッ拳, which would be kinda like be "Poké-fist". It's obviously a reference to the word 'tekken', but there's not going to be any suing going on.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

I don't want a pokemon fighting game. I want a pokemon adventure game similar to what you do in the pokemon games on the handhelds, so not pokepark, an actual trainer adventure but on the Wii U and a 3D world. Even if they just make it Kanto and Jhoto I'll be so happy.

Csaw

Csaw said:

You guys are ignoring another possibility. The tradmark is named poken, which sounds like a mixture of pokemon and tekken. This might actually be a crossover between the two franchises. It wouldn't be the first time pokemon is crossed over with a completely random franchise and with how close nintendo is to namco who is helping them with smash this is a strong possibility.

Brother_Jolteon

Brother_Jolteon said:

I miss pokemon stadium... X & Y reminds me of XD. They should make a new stadium game, and bring back the announcer, I love when he said "and its down!" Whenever a pokemon was defeated

PokemonManiac

PokemonManiac said:

I don't think I will be a crossover with characters from tekken or anything. I don't think Nintendo would like the idea or Pokemon beating up people and vise versa

BigDaddysPizza

BigDaddysPizza said:

I hope we get a more Coliseum/XD game. Battle Revolution was a disappointment...you battle...and then....battle...how about...battling? Too much of the same thing.

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

Those are just the regular forms of Lucario and Blaziken. There's nothing Mega about them!

NintendoCat14

NintendoCat14 said:

I've played all 5 gens of Pokemon, and I have a pre-order for Pokemon X. I've played a lot of Stadium, Snap, and I'm looking forward to getting Colosseum. But if that Pokken Fighters thing is real, I'll be done with Pokemon. The background is to "edgy", and the fact that when Pokemon is already a game about fighting, you have to make it all traditional? BULL. CRAP. Screw this, unless its 10/10, there's no way I will even consider it.

Monkeh

Monkeh said:

@Beta Battling like the anime is what we've always done, except turn-based, seeing as we're the trainers, not the Pokemon.

Freakazoid

Freakazoid said:

I like the idea of a pokemon fighting game when it really would mean pokemon tekken i want to see how they are gonna make it work

MikeDanger

MikeDanger said:

I actually thought it was a real Pokemon game n the WiiU not a fighting game spin off.... guess i'm still not getting a WiiU.

MadJay1664

MadJay1664 said:

I just want something like Pokemon yellow but evolved with online battles and hd graphics and new animations to bring the battles to life why have they not done this? Why is Pokemon x and y not coming to Wii u?

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

I don't really know what to think of this. A Pokémon fighting game is just weird. I know we have Pokémon on Smash Brothers but that's an entirely different matter.
It could end up being a great new spin-off, but I really would be more comfortable with something along the lines of Stadium or Colosseum, providing that it has enough content to warrant a purchase of course (unlike Battle Revolution).

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

I think it's really easy to figure out why there isn't a 3d RPG Pokémon game on the Wii U- Pokémon on Nintendo handhelds is a relatively cheap and quick process for 12 million or so games sales each generation. A 3D HD console version would probably cost 5 times as much, and it's very doubtful it would sell 5 times as much, but may eat into the handhelds market and make the series seem low tech in comparison.

This Wii U game seems to be a beat 'em up/glorified Pokémon Stadium game to me.

SethADrekin

SethADrekin said:

Didn't Nintendo announce an unnamed collaboration with Namco Bandai earlier this year? Like back in January..

Suicune

Suicune said:

I like how NL sticks with the whole 'Mega' Pokemon thing, even though...it's just the normal Pokemon.

ShadowFox254

ShadowFox254 said:

I still bet it will be Pokémon Stadium, but if not would every Pokémon be a playable fighter?

Slayer

Slayer said:

@Suicune, it DOES look alot like normal Lucario and Blaziken. But I doubt they would go as far as a Tekken clone... Would they?

Yrreiht

Yrreiht said:

Well... if it's a Street Fighter/Tekken kind of game, I'm gonna avoid it. I don't like these games...

BlueNitrous

BlueNitrous said:

@Einherjar That is exactly what I thought. It would be so sweet if they made the movesets customizable, and give us a full length story with Gym battles, Elite 4 and Champion, etc. I would say it would be an instant buy for me, but that might be all the Tenkaichi 3 I've been playing.

BigDaddysPizza

BigDaddysPizza said:

@Neferupitou
Which made the game utterly pointless if you didn't have diamond/pearl/platinum. (or later heartgold/soulsilver) It really was not a good game. Let's hope for the best-and you know what that means-addictive minigames!!!

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

eh but it doesnt rly make sense to release a full pokemon fighting game and then smash bros coming next year :|

i rather not see a fighting game but maybe something else

Nintendboy14

Nintendboy14 said:

I want the pokemon experience of the handhelds but fully hd on wii u. The time to do this is now Nintendo give us fans what we wanted for soooo long

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

The first thing that comes to mind is Pokemon: Type Wild, if this ends up being anything like that I'm in. Type Wild is pretty good on its own so I can only imagine how a game like that with the recources of an official Pokemon game poured into it could turn out.

NintendoMonkey

NintendoMonkey said:

Anyone notice the fighting pokemon flag in the top right corner of the picture? And if it isn't a Poke Fighter, I wont buy this game or a Wii U until the price drop.

mikeyman64

mikeyman64 said:

It may just be a port of X and Y. Like a "Fighting Corner" in the major city or something.

Henmii

Henmii said:

It looks great, and I hope it's something more substantial then a Stadium game! It could be a fighter, but I hope it's something free-roaming!

Gameday

Gameday said:

I gotta be the very best , the best fighter there ever was. I'll beat him and ill beat you the battle has begun ! haha sry made my own little verses there gotta love it. so to say the least im intrigued by this video.