Nintendo Download: 28th February 2013 (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Running, gunning, creating coasters and more

It's Nintendo Download time again, North America, and this week all four of Nintendo's online platforms have content to choose from; you lucky gamers. Some are long-awaited and in one case probably already keeping some of you very busy, while others will no doubt also have an audience to snap them up. Let's get to the details.

Wii U eShop

BIT.TRIP Presents: Runner 2 Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Gaijin Games, $14.99) — This one arrived on Wii U a couple of days ago, so we suspect that a number of you are playing this right now. It's the much anticipated spiritual successor to BIT.TRIP RUNNER, with all of the rhythmic jumping, punching and ducking that you could wish for; we'll have a review with you soon as we ponder whether it's up to speed with the WiiWare classic.

Wii U eShop demo

BIT.TRIP Presents: Runner 2 Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Gaijin Games, free) — Because Gaijin Games really wants you to try its game, there's a nice little demo as a source of temptation.

3DS eShop

Mahjong Mysteries - Ancient Athena (cerasus.media, $4.99) — Mahjong options aren't exactly sparse on DSiWare and the 3DS eShop, and some successfully take the basic match-two style of the famous game and turn it into an entertaining experience. Despite talking a good game about a storyline and exploration, this is ultimately a very basic, reductive version of the popular past-time, which serves a purpose but is outgunned by superior alternatives. If you want the full lowdown, then check out our Mahjong Mysteries - Ancient Athena review

Coaster Creator 3D (Big John Games, $9.99) — This title promises to allow intuitive coaster creation, along with sharing options as well as the ability to ride the rails for fun or as part of a mini-game. There are career challenges and a host of environmental and coaster unlockables, so despite its premium price this could offer a fairly meaty creation tool. We'll make sure we're tall enough and bring you a review soon.

3DS eShop price discount

Fractured Soul (Endgame Studios, $7.99 until 7th March / was $11.99) — The second discount in the latest round of promotions on the 3DS eShop, this dual screen action platformer had a long and complex development history before its eventual arrival. It's a neat concept that's well executed, not to mention the fact that it gets rather difficult in its latter stages; check out our Fractured Soul review to see what we thought of it.

3DS retail demo

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (Konami, free) — Ahead of its arrival in stores and the 3DS eShop on 5th March, Konami is providing a free crack of the whip for you to try. This demo seems to have been pretty well received among European 3DS owners, and now you North Americans can see for yourself; we're also working on a review of this one for your pleasure.

3DS Retail DLC

Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo) — The Champions of Yore 1 map is available as a free download only until 6th March, so be sure to visit the "Outrealm Gate" in the game soon to take advantage of this special offer. You can also keep the adventure going with the new EXPonential Growth map, the second instalment of the Golden Pack and said to grant tremendous experience to those who defeat the Entomed, a rare variety of Risen soldiers. The EXPonential Growth map is now available for $2.50.

DSiWare

Easter Eggztravaganza (Microvalue, 500 Nintendo Points) — It's a seasonal mini-game collection with a superfluous "z" in the title, so this one may be met with some trepidation. Clearly targeting children, there's a back story about painting eggs, visiting the shops and family before embarking on an egg hunt, so we can expect spot the difference and colouring-in games to feature. We'll be stuffing our faces with chocolate eggs and reviewing this in the not too distant future.

WiiWare

Retro City Rampage (Vblank Entertainment, 1000 Nintendo Points) — This one was on the "delayed for so long it'll probably be cancelled" list for a fair amount of time on WiiWare, and yet it now graces the Wii (and Wii U's "Wii Mode", don't forget) with its brand of pixel-based pop-culture old-skool GTA mayhem. Critically acclaimed by some on other systems, this WiiWare version will also include ROM City Rampage, a version of the game constructed as if to actually run on the NES. We'll start causing chaos on the streets in the name of bringing you our review.

So, a fair bit of variety on offer this week. Let us know what you'll be buying in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (320 votes)

BIT.TRIP Presents: Runner 2 Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Wii U eShop)

22%

Mahjong Mysteries - Ancient Athena (3DS eShop)

Coaster Creator 3D (3DS eShop)

Fractured Soul (3DS eShop discount)

Fire Emblem: Awakening DLC (3DS retail download)

13%

Easter Eggztravaganza (DSiWare)

Retro City Rampage (WiiWare)

15%

Only freebies this week

28%

Nothing for me this week

10%

Please login to vote in this poll.

RoryLee

RoryLee said:

Sweet! Gonna pick up Retro Rampage and DL the Castlevania demo. Already picked up Runner 2 when it became available.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

WHERE IS ZEN PINBALL 2?!?!?!?!?! NINTENDO PROMISED IT WOULD BE RELEASED THIS MONTH!!!

I WANT ANSWERS!!!

DashChargedShot

DashChargedShot said:

I had the EXPonential Growth 2 days ago. Maybe today us with the Golden Pack will get Infinite Regalia.

BIT.TRIP Runner 2 looks good, may have to pick that up.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Guys I don't think they promised Zen Pinball 2. I believe they picked their words carefully on that. I almost want to say they used the word SHOULD which I've been hearing a lot lately!

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

No VC but still a good week with a game I've been looking forward to for a while (Coaster Creator 3D).

I'll be getting Coaster Creator 3D, Fractured Soul, and Runner 2 as soon as I pick up an eShop card. I'll also download the Castlevania demo.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

@3Dash Yeah I remember downloading the EXPonential Growth last Thursday because I bought the Golden Pack (the week before) today we will be able to download Infinite Regalia.

Wii_Win

Wii_Win said:

Talk about an awesome week!
Getting a DLC pack for Awakening, Retro City Rampage, and maybe Bit.Trip.

Everly

Everly said:

@Tech101 Actually I went back and watched it. At 31:45 they started talking about Zen Pinball with the words "Also in February" and as the video of tables were shown the words "Available this month" appeared in the subtitle. I suppose if you want to be technical the subtitle will be correct because whenever it does release it will be "this month"

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

I already have what was mentioned for Fire Emblem...I got the full packs. I wonder when the new stuff is coming.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

@Everyone asking about Fire Emblem DLC

The Fire Emblem DLC comes out sequentially weekly for those who buy the full pack. If you bought the golden pack and the third pack series then today you should be able to DL the third level from pack 2 and the second level from pack 3.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

This is a good week even though I'm not getting anything. Hope Retro City Rampage goes over well with people, I quite liked it on PSN.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Everly Ok I couldn't remember since I've been hearing that one word so much lately. Big disappointment that its another Nintendo fail.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I bought Runner2 on Tuesday. I'd buy Retro City Rampage if I didn't already buy it on PS3, but that ROM City Rampage sounds awesome.

SteveW

SteveW said:

seriously? Bit.Trip Runner 2 was voted more than Retro City Rampage? whats wrong with you people!?!? :)

DRLAdmin

DRL said:

You can't go wrong with either Runner 2 or Retro City - both extremely fun games more than worthy of your time.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Well, I'm a few bucks short, so I won't be getting the Coaster Creator this week.

And once again, we have no VC titles. Where's Super Mario 2 and 3? Where's Wario Land 3? It seems everyone else can get that one... Where's Sonic the Hedgehog 2? Where's the 2 Sonic titles we were supposed to get back in July? Nintendo of America, Y U NO WORK HARDER ON VIRTUAL CONSOLE???

KillerGBH

KillerGBH said:

bunch of liars who promise us Zen pinball for today -_- . Europe got it since 1month already what about US still nothing? . kinda ridiculous

JMDS

JMDS said:

I'll be trying the Castlevania demo, of course. I've been feeling pretty fifty 50/50 about it so far, so this demo will surely topple me over one way or the other.

Other than that, I think I'll be waiting up for a Coaster Creator review. Hope it turns out alright. I can say now that I find the style of it that we've seen so far is hideous...but if the review turns out to be really positive I'll be re-interested.

Man, I really wish they would keep pushing with the 3D Classics titles.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Always a good week when the "Nothing for me this week" percentage is not the highest.

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

Man, when are we gonna get NES Castlevania on the 3DS VC? Hasn't EU had it for a couple weeks now?

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

@JMDS: Yeah, the last 3D Classic we got was Kid Icarus... this is going on a year now with no mention of an older game being redone in 3D. Maybe they gave up on it?

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

Wait, Fractured Souls is on sale now? Crap. Does that mean I missed Bit.Trip Saga? I already have Bit.Trip Complete, but being able to get the entire collection on-the-go for so cheap was mighty tempting!

MDee14

MDee14 said:

Still no pinball. But happy with the demos. By the way runner 2... Freaking amazing!!

MoldyClay87

MoldyClay87 said:

This is the 3rd sale, not 2nd. First was Bit.Trip Complete, then Crashmo and now Fractured Soul.

All I am getting this week is the Castlevania demo. Already own Retro City Rampage, don't have FE:A yet, don't have a Wii U yet (and I can get Runner2 on XBLA, but I'm not dropping $15)

@Mr_Trill281 I am convinced they sren't doing Kirby 2 because of Dream Collection, since you can get it there. Maybe eventually, but for now, I am betting on that being why.

@UnseatingKDawg I am pretty damn sure Nintendo said that the 3D Classics they did were the only ones they planned to do.

I forget who, SEGA I think, is making their own. So the only way we can get more is if a company decides to.

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

Meh.

Still no zen pinball 2 for U and no VC for 3DS. And the. 3dsware seems pretty meh. I don't think coaster creator looks remotely fun and we already have so freaking much Majhong on 3DS.

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

The demo is cool though. And runner is pretty awesome. Though I got it two days ago and don't really consider it part of this update because it came a few days early.

Burn

Burn said:

Just downloaded Retro City Rampage! I went through the trouble of buying it through my Wii and then transferring it to my Wii U. Gotta earn those Club Nintendo coins ^_^

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Sweet! :D Defently picking up easter eggztravaganza - dsiware! :)

Maybe Roller Coaster game too. :)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

idork99

idork99 said:

I, too, will check out the demo for Mirror of Fate. I've been waiting for this game since last year so I'm really hoping the demo doesn't disappoint. Also, I was looking forward to downloading the original Castlevania for the NES on Virtual Console. It would've been a great day to release the game with Mirror of Fate right around the corner.

dustin_g

dustin_g said:

that nes build should actually be released on a nes cartridge like on retro usb or something

Fillytase

Fillytase said:

Finally getting Fractured Soul while the price is palatable! Too bad it doesn't have 3D >.<

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

Castlevania demo for me. I have one gift card from Gamestop and the two games i'll have to decide on are Castlevania and Monster Hunter 3D. Got the MH demo last week. Casltevania this week. Don't know who the winner will be. I do like the preorder bonus for Monster Hunter though...free strategy guide. :)

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

Won't be getting Runner 2 at the moment since I haven't really started an the first (I know, I'm a horrible person :P)

. . . but I did manage to get Crashmo, Mighty Switch Force HD, and F-Zero yesterday (before their sales ended), so I'll be getting to those in the coming weeks. ;)

iphys

iphys said:

Was expecting Zen Pinball 2, but at least we got Runner2 for now.

chadi

chadi said:

Didn't expect Fractured Soul to take up that much blocks... Just bought it and snagged the new demo too. Also got EXPonential Growth last week so nothing new for FE I guess.

skjia

skjia said:

Anyone who doesn't download Runner 2 is a communist!
But seriously, I've been playing it since Tuesday and it's great.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

@ThomasBW84 Please Thomas, can you guys at Nintendolife get to the bottom of what is going on with Zen Pinball 2? The only thing they seem to say is "we are working with Nintendo, and we will post the release date when we receive it", or something very vague like that for the past 2 months. I've tried contacting them directly, and that's all I get, a vague response dancing around the questions I ask.

It was promised by Nintendo to come out this month, after being delayed twice. Please, what is going on? :(

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

The Runner 2 demo is surprisingly fun but I'll wait for a sale. Nothing against the game or the Gaijin guys, but my roof for digital games rarely breaks $10.

Mega Man 3 coming soon! Awesome!

RR529

RR529 said:

Coaster Creator 3D seems interesting, but I'll wait for a review & for when I have a bit more money.

I've never had any experience with Castlevania before, so I'll probably get the Mirror of Fate demo, and finally dip on The Castlevania Adventure, and introduce myself to the series.

GloryQuestor

GloryQuestor said:

That's odd ... where's the Etrian Odyssey IV announcement? It was released in NA this week...

For anyone who hasn't seen EO4 yet, it's definitely worth buying via download (or at least checking out the demo). Most fun I've had with a dungeon crawler in a long while. :)

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

yeah, wiiware games!!!

We need an update for a quick access button from Wii U eshop to Wii eshop.

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

I have a long-standing love affair with all things Roller Coaster, so I'll probably grab Coaster Creator 3D if it's not revealed to be a complete turd. The screenshots and previews I've seen so far look promising, so here's hoping.

Naturally, I'll also pick up that one running game at some point, but.... yeah... COASTERS!

DaveC

DaveC said:

Too bad Fractured Souls is only 2D. I wouldn't really bother with it because of that. Maybe next time.

Birdman

Birdman said:

FEA DLC eventually, and the 'Vania demo too. Nothing else for me this week.

McGruber

McGruber said:

REALLY impressed with the Castlevania demo. I hope this game does well, but I don't think it will...

cbkummer

cbkummer said:

Got Fractured Soul finally. I can't resist a deal. Loving it, we need more difficult games these days.

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

Pretty great week. Already have RCR for the 360 (great game) so I'll pass on it and I know I'll end up getting Runner 2 eventually (loved the first game).

Axed84

Axed84 said:

@maxiw I'm with you, I can't seem to find it either. Searching for "Coaster Creator 3D" just brings me to the game's trailer...

Gilius

Gilius said:

My friend has the new Fire Emblem. It's a really good looking Rp'ing game for the 3DS.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

@MoldyClay87: Well, that's depressing to hear. I expected a tad more from Nintendo in that department. As for SEGA, maybe we'll get 3D classics of Genesis titles?

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

@JMDS: Same here. I love Kid Icarus (which was actually the first time I played it), Kirby's Adventure is great, and Xevious, one of my favorites, was made better with the 3D effect.